The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Joining the vale. Current 3L, top 7%, LR position, at t20-t30. Blew my 2L oci and seemed to have never recovered. Posting anon to try to save face.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Joining the vale. Current 3L, top 7%, LR position, at t20-t30. Blew my 2L oci and seemed to have never recovered. Posting anon to try to save face.

I had a classmate in your position who mass mailed like crazy during Sep/Oct and ended up with a biglaw gig. Top 10%/ LR can go a long way when you're still a student. Hustle NOW, cause those will matter a lot less once you graduate.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Joining the vale. Current 3L, top 7%, LR position, at t20-t30. Blew my 2L oci and seemed to have never recovered. Posting anon to try to save face.

I had a classmate in your position who mass mailed like crazy during Sep/Oct and ended up with a biglaw gig. Top 10%/ LR can go a long way when you're still a student. Hustle NOW, cause those will matter a lot less once you graduate.

This. Also start playing catch up on clerkship apps. You'll find something.

I had an interview today for a staff attorney job at a biglaw firm. They said they would be letting people know today, tomorrow at latest. I've never been so anxious for the phone to ring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm the anon with the long post from last night. Thanks for the advice everyone. I may try emailing some lawyers and asking about current hiring but also stating that I'd love to do the kind of work they do and would love to hear any advice about how to build my resume for that kind of work in the future. This feels genuine and might open a door to networking without feeling so phony. I will try to reconnect for a friendly coffee with people in my current network and try a few cold emails if the type described above just to feel like I'm doing something else besides applying to listed openings.

I need to keep the doc review as it is the bulk of my income and I am the primary earner but might be able to pick up some pro bono hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:14 pm

TTH wrote:

5. Keep checking job boards. Apps through jobs actually posted have such a higher rate of return than mass mailing. Set up job alerts for USAJOBS (the series number for attorney is 0905)

Just to add, if you're going to apply to these jobs, you need to have the JD degree already. I've run into a bunch of 3Ls who have yet to graduate wondering why they get nowhere with these openings. Pretty sure gov doesn't care that you're going to have the JD degree completed in X amount of months. If you're a graduate in the vale, proceed.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to add, if you're going to apply to these jobs, you need to have the JD degree already. I've run into a bunch of 3Ls who have yet to graduate wondering why they get nowhere with these openings. Pretty sure gov doesn't care that you're going to have the JD degree completed in X amount of months. If you're a graduate in the vale, proceed.

For the most part they make allowances for people who are degree candidates about to graduate.

What they don't make allowances for, is when they want a start date of X and you won't have met the requirements by X.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Out of the Vale, bros.

Just got the call. Staff attorney at the local office of a V100. Pay is about 75% of market for the area. The work is mainly going to consist of doc review and stuff, but other attorneys have lateraled to better gigs from this position at this firm.

I'm so god damned relieved. I've been in the Vale for thirteen months almost to the day. I wish I could say there was something in my experience that was instructive for my Vale bros, but this was a random thing the firm contacted our school's OCS about. I applied. I had a tenuous networking connection through a comedy blog I did in law school with a guy who used to work there who gave me some tips for the interview, but that was it. There's hustling and there's just the sheer random course of the universe. I can only thank the latter.

Good luck, brothers, keep on your grind. If a bum like me can crawl out, you guys can too. Cheers.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:54 pm

TTH wrote:Out of the Vale, bros.

Just got the call. Staff attorney at the local office of a V100. Pay is about 75% of market for the area. The work is mainly going to consist of doc review and stuff, but other attorneys have lateraled to better gigs from this position at this firm.

I'm so god damned relieved. I've been in the Vale for thirteen months almost to the day. I wish I could say there was something in my experience that was instructive for my Vale bros, but this was a random thing the firm contacted our school's OCS about. I applied. I had a tenuous networking connection through a comedy blog I did in law school with a guy who used to work there who gave me some tips for the interview, but that was it. There's hustling and there's just the sheer random course of the universe. I can only thank the latter.

Good luck, brothers, keep on your grind. If a bum like me can crawl out, you guys can too. Cheers.

Congrats bro.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Good stuff man. Time to celebrate with a guiltless 24-hour marathon GTA5 session.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:21 pm

lukertin wrote:

Good stuff man. Time to celebrate with a guiltless 24-hour marathon GTA5 session.

Won't have the kale to buy it until my first paycheck. :lol:

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Congrats!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:29 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Congrats bro.

whatsyourdeal

Postby whatsyourdeal » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:34 pm

Congrats TTH! Long time lurker here, and its good news to hear that you found something.

Long time lurker finally throwing my hat in the ring. In similar situation as anon from doc review. Grad in winter 2012 due to being in part time program at a T2, took (and passed) the feb bar, and found a paid law clerk gig at a solo doing shitlaw before being admitted to the bar. Once admitted, the solo had me arguing motions, attending depos, appearing in court, etc. all while paying me clerk wages. I get by with the wages, but being stuck in this no-man's land has been frustrating. I've had several interviews for boutiques, but nothing yet. I realize I'm fortunate to 1) get paid 2) doing actual attorney/lit work, but I'm still depressed about the plethora of rejections and lack of opportunities.

FWIW, I'm in Cali, the T2 is in the opposite region of where I am currently working at right now.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Stoked as hell for you brudder

Do some ragin tonight

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Grats. Grats. Grats!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Congrats man, that sounds awesome!

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks guys.

I still can't get over it. Living in the Vale still has me nervous, like there will be something they find in the pre-employment background check that makes them not hire me. I can't think of what that would be—passed C&F with no problem n' stuff—but the Vale works on a man, you know?

Thanks to all of you for being yourselves the last four years. TLS taught me how to LSAT, how to apply to law school, how to law school, and how to job search. Law students who don't at least lurk on TLS are passing up the best source of advice on law school that exists.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Super fucking awesome, TTH, and it sounds like something way better than you were expecting based on past Vale posts.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:00 pm

TTH wrote:
lukertin wrote:Good stuff man. Time to celebrate with a guiltless 24-hour marathon GTA5 session.

Won't have the kale to buy it until my first paycheck. :lol:

:'( You deserve better

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Jessuf wrote:Super fucking awesome, TTH, and it sounds like something way better than you were expecting based on past Vale posts.

You better not leave now

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:15 pm

I have an in-house counsel interview with a nationwide retail store based in Atlanta tomorrow that my school helped set up. I don't really know how to prep for the interview at all. HELP!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Congrats, TTH!!! Thrilled for you. Very much deserved.

And don't worry about getting the rug pulled out from under you (easier said than done, I know). If that happens, you'll deal with it, but for now, enjoy your long overdue good news.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 pm

TTH wrote:Thanks guys.

I still can't get over it. Living in the Vale still has me nervous, like there will be something they find in the pre-employment background check that makes them not hire me. I can't think of what that would be—passed C&F with no problem n' stuff—but the Vale works on a man, you know?

Well, when you rage tonight, make sure that it doesn't involve illegal substances. :lol:

Congrats TTH!

skw

Postby skw » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an in-house counsel interview with a nationwide retail store based in Atlanta tomorrow that my school helped set up. I don't really know how to prep for the interview at all. HELP!

Assuming it is a public company, read their last couple 10ks. There could also be analyst reports or interviews with key management online. Understanding their business plan/goals and offering some semblance of an understanding of how legal services facilitate the overall goals is key. Good luck. It sounds like an excellent opportunity. If the company is private, the best you can do is learn all you can from press releases and other available public data.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Someone I'm really close to is currently in the Vale (although not on TLS), and I've been trying to figure out how to help her. She's a 3L, ~top 25% at a T14, journal e-board. Struck out at OCI and worked at a small firm she hated last summer that never gives offers. I've tried suggesting applying to government positions, but she still really seems to e stuck in the big firm mindset and gets really upset wheneverwe talk about it, so I've mostly stopped bringing it up. She came to law school to do the big firm thing, so I understand that she's feeling really lost right now, but as a friend, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to help - either with the job search, or just by being there. It's been hard for me to figure out what to do, because every time we talk about job stuff (even if she's the one to bring it up), she gets incredibly upset and/or angry.

I know you guys are going through a lot, so I don't want to bug you all, but if you have any advice on how I can help my friend - either job-wise or emotionally - I would greatly appreciate it.

Return to “Legal Employment”