The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
a male human

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby a male human » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A firm I called back at during 2L year has a job posting up. Do you think it would be wise to discuss in my cover letter how impressed I was with the firm during call backs, or would it be best to leave that off?

I would mention it briefly (like one clause of a sentence). Don't see how it could hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 pm

a male human wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A firm I called back at during 2L year has a job posting up. Do you think it would be wise to discuss in my cover letter how impressed I was with the firm during call backs, or would it be best to leave that off?

I would mention it briefly (like one clause of a sentence). Don't see how it could hurt.

I asked my career office that same question and they said not to.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:

Oh, well, you shouldn't then, I guess. Did you find out why not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:31 pm

a male human wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:

Oh, well, you shouldn't then, I guess. Did you find out why not?

I heard the same thing. Makes you look like damaged goods.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 pm

So it's best to treat each application as a first-time application?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:03 pm

a male human wrote:So it's best to treat each application as a first-time application?

You could contact some of your interviewers and talk to them to get tips/ask for a referral? Or is that a bit aspie?

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:So it's best to treat each application as a first-time application?

You could contact some of your interviewers and talk to them to get tips/ask for a referral? Or is that a bit aspie?

I tried that for my 2L OCI. I'd met at some school event an attorney who worked for a firm I got lottery'd into, so I thought I could just say hi and ask for tips for interviewing with his firm. He didn't respond. Found out he was an interviewer, so I followed up saying omg sorry for being an awkward sperg, and he was like yah haha.

Same deal with another interviewer, except I didn't ask for tips. I just said I'm looking forward to getting grilled. At the interview (lottery again), he was like btw how did you get my email? He'd forgotten about me since the last time we talked.

Others pre-interview emails had no effect.

So I can see contacting working if you know the person and know that s/he isn't part of the interviewer group.

iceman219

Postby iceman219 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Got a good job offer to leave the Vale... all from an interview taken on a lark at a job fair right before the Bar exam.

I had mass mailed >120 firms in my hoped-for specific practice area in my home state, but never got even a whiff of an interview from any of the firms, even though my 2L summer gig was at a prominent firm in the same practice area. Won't be practicing in this exact area, but the offer is very complementary to the work I had done pre-law school and could bring me back around to my desired practice area at some point in the future.

Keep at it! There's hope yet for those who are at it, pounding pavement & hustling, and I know that every active person in this thread has been busy. Best of luck

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 pm

iceman219 wrote:Got a good job offer

Congrats! Always good to hear.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:58 pm

Love u bros. I've told folks traumatic stuff in this thread (re: suicidal feelings) that I've never shared with ANYONE in "real life".

This is a great outlet. I'm surprised it took until fall 2012 for an official thread of jerbless grads to spring up on TLS. Long time coming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:07 am

rad lulz wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:08 am

Congrats. What job fair was it if you don't mind saying?

Also, I'm getting an interview to join an entering class at a big law firm soon, so hoping that will go well and will be out of here soon. For all purposes, I don't even remember this specific application or where I applied through. Now just have to get over the anxiety since have had so many close calls that have absolutely destroyed my self-worth.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks, CSO.

Dear chrisbru,

I hope this email finds you well! I wanted to check in with you to find out how your post-graduation job search was going, clerkships or otherwise. Please feel free to drop me an email to update me or stop by the CSO to chat when you have a free moment. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know!

Best,
CSO

Really helpful.

iceman219

Postby iceman219 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats. What job fair was it if you don't mind saying?

Also, I'm getting an interview to join an entering class at a big law firm soon, so hoping that will go well and will be out of here soon. For all purposes, I don't even remember this specific application or where I applied through. Now just have to get over the anxiety since have had so many close calls that have absolutely destroyed my self-worth.

It was at the SEMJF... I followed the advice of "apply even if you aren't a minority" and was 1 of 6 recent graduates they interviewed (with potential openings for all, I later found out)... apparently the graduate participation rate at a job fair right before the Bar is very low.

Thanks everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 am

Hola bros, few weeks ago my summer firm called me and mentioned that they would like me to work on some of their projects over the fall. I was yeah, would love to do that... bla... bla... send me an e-mail whenever you need my assistance... bla bla... well they have not yet contacted me?
Should I re-initiate contact with da firm or just chill since they already have my numero?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:38 am

I know all of you are looking for full time jobs, but if any of you in D.C. just want to pad your resumes, my office is looking for an unpaid intern this semester. You would probably just be doing a project for my boss physically looking up Copyrights at the Library of Congress. Again, probably not something any of your are interested in, but, in case anyone was, I figured I'd offer up the chance here before I post it on any job websites.

Here is the link to a slightly outdated posting that we are working on updating - but, gist and application procedure is the same: http://iipi.org/2010/07/fellowships-internships/

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hola bros, few weeks ago my summer firm called me and mentioned that they would like me to work on some of their projects over the fall. I was yeah, would love to do that... bla... bla... send me an e-mail whenever you need my assistance... bla bla... well they have not yet contacted me?
Should I re-initiate contact with da firm or just chill since they already have my numero?

I'd send em an email and be all like "hey, bros, you mentioned you might have work for me, and I'm looking for a little work to distract me from stupid fucking 3L, so if you have anything I'd be really happy to get down on my knees for you or whatever. - sincerely, Anon"

(translated into professional language, obviously)

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hola bros, few weeks ago my summer firm called me and mentioned that they would like me to work on some of their projects over the fall. I was yeah, would love to do that... bla... bla... send me an e-mail whenever you need my assistance... bla bla... well they have not yet contacted me?

You should. I would be the one moving things forward. Maybe we set up a time for a phone call to discuss the project? or something that shows more initiative than "send me an email." Not too late to do what the above poster said.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 pm

I got an offer at a small firm. It's a contract/hourly position, but there's 40-50 hours a week available, and it's real attorney work in my desired area of practice (not doc review). And there's a permanent position available "if things work out," whatever that means.

The firm is all local TTT attorneys, and I think they feel like I will bolt as soon as I find something better. They even asked in the interview "how would you feel being the only guy here not from our TTT?" So I think they see me as a flight risk. I guess getting paid hourly is fine with me for now, since if they make me work ridiculous hours, I actually get paid for it, as opposed to having a salary. The hourly rate is not too bad...if I end up working 50 hours a week, I'll end up making more than I expected. But I'm pretty sure there's no benefits. I do get to come into the office "with shorts and a golf shirt" if I want, unless I have to go to court.

The thing is, I'd much rather work at a small firm (plaintiff-side) long-term than Biglaw. I hate working in bureaucratic environments, and I like the idea of extracting large sums of money from monopolistic behemoths and giving that money back to people who are probably close to being broke...even if the case has little merit :wink: . It's just dat loan payment that makes me wish I were making more.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:15 pm

And I do have to say that it's very true that small firms/plaintiff firms are biased against graduates from higher-ranked schools. Going to a higher-ranked school may help you get Biglaw, but it makes it actually harder to do small-firm plaintiff work. No one believes you will not lateral out after a year of getting experience.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:26 pm

JCougar wrote:I got an offer at a small firm. It's a contract/hourly position, but there's 40-50 hours a week available, and it's real attorney work in my desired area of practice (not doc review). And there's a permanent position available "if things work out," whatever that means.

The firm is all local TTT attorneys, and I think they feel like I will bolt as soon as I find something better. They even asked in the interview "how would you feel being the only guy here not from our TTT?" So I think they see me as a flight risk. I guess getting paid hourly is fine with me for now, since if they make me work ridiculous hours, I actually get paid for it, as opposed to having a salary. The hourly rate is not too bad...if I end up working 50 hours a week, I'll end up making more than I expected. But I'm pretty sure there's no benefits. I do get to come into the office "with shorts and a golf shirt" if I want, unless I have to go to court.

The thing is, I'd much rather work at a small firm (plaintiff-side) long-term than Biglaw. I hate working in bureaucratic environments, and I like the idea of extracting large sums of money from monopolistic behemoths and giving that money back to people who are probably close to being broke...even if the case has little merit :wink: . It's just dat loan payment that makes me wish I were making more.

Congrats on the offer - sounds like something you will enjoy and it will at least mostly pay the bills.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:31 pm

JCougar wrote:I got an offer at a small firm. It's a contract/hourly position, but there's 40-50 hours a week available, and it's real attorney work in my desired area of practice (not doc review). And there's a permanent position available "if things work out," whatever that means.

Congrats! This is a start on your career and that is what you need.

Return to “Legal Employment”