The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:41 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
luckyjd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if good news is OK around here, but I'm leaving the Vale. I'll still be here in spirit, because I know just like all of you how it feels. Was very fortunate to get a midlaw position in a tertiary market after a no-offer off my 2L SA.

congratss!! what is considered "mid-law" and did you get the job via networking or mass mailing? good news is always welcomed, gives me hope that being no-offered a month ago is not the end of the world... even my mom just told me she's worried about me, and she never worries about me.

Networking. I know that sounds lame given all the complaining about networking from above. This came from a contact I never would have expected to be helpful.

Midlaw means 30ish attorneys in a small midwest market. They have a solid litigation practice with good but not amazing clients. Pay just under market for the area.

I've spent the last month since the no-offer thinking I may be done in law before I start. My mom was worried, too. Some of us will make it back, though. Keep at it.

Congrats brother. Comin off a no offer is a shit sammich, but I'm glad it worked out. Real happy for you mang.

Thanks d00d. You've been a great encouragement from the start. Honestly, I'm way more relieved than excited.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:45 pm

a male human wrote:I see networking as a long-term strategy where after talking to people enough times (and following up every 3-6 months) they'll remember you if a lateral position ever opens up and knows you well enough to refer you to that firm's contact.

This is what I get from it.

There's a few people that seem to be really interested in keeping in touch with me, but none are hiring at the moment, whether it be due to government budget freezes or their firm's office simply not taking anyone on. One specifically said to give me her resume because they hire a lot of laterals down the road.

Networking hasn't done much to get me an immediate job, but if I can just get something...anything...in my desired practice area and get those crucial first two years of experience out of the way, I think (hope?) that I'll have some really good options down the road.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:01 pm

T20, top 10%, won advocacy competitons, solid summer jobs... and officially in the vale. Hi everyone.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Just got a response to an info interview request that read: "I doubt I can tell you anything substantial that you already have not learned throughout your law school endeavors so I doubt it would be worthwhile for us to meet."

Well then.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:14 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Just got a response to an info interview request that read: "I doubt I can tell you anything substantial that you already have not learned throughout your law school endeavors so I doubt it would be worthwhile for us to meet."

Well then.

:shock: Why even bother to respond? Say nothing and look like a jackass, or open your mouth and remove all doubt..

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:28 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Just got a response to an info interview request that read: "I doubt I can tell you anything substantial that you already have not learned throughout your law school endeavors so I doubt it would be worthwhile for us to meet."

Well then.

What a dick. Sorry man.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Well then.

At least he's not wasting your time though. He either doesn't get that "informational interview" is code for "I want a job" or isn't involved in hiring at all; both options mean you'd spend the time meeting him and nothing would come of it.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:47 pm

rad lulz wrote:
alicrimson wrote:Hi everyone,

I have been brought in on a job hunt mission, and I thought I would consult the wisdom of TLS. We are beginning tomorrow and are formulating a checklist of options to go through. Of course one of those items is mass-mailing. When/if you all did this, what sort of things do you put in a cover letter? Would you do specific cities/specialty and just mail merge all firms in that city/specialty? Did you reach out to alumni at firms? Did you send this to a recruiter?

Sorry for the influx of questions, I just want to figure out how this is done.

Thanks!

Don't you have a job?

I do, but close friends don't. They asked if I'd help.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 pm

mr. wednesday wrote:

Well then.

At least he's not wasting your time though. He either doesn't get that "informational interview" is code for "I want a job" or isn't involved in hiring at all; both options mean you'd spend the time meeting him and nothing would come of it.

Its not great, but its 100 times better than him actually meeting and then being an asshole while there.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Well then.

LOL. It's true, though.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if good news is OK around here, but I'm leaving the Vale. I'll still be here in spirit, because I know just like all of you how it feels. Was very fortunate to get a midlaw position in a tertiary market after a no-offer off my 2L SA.

Good news is welcome. Congrats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:32 pm

NYstate wrote:

Good news is welcome. Congrats.

Yeah man... good news are always welcome... it gives us all hope...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Vale lurker from HYS, officially joining upon complete 3L OCI fail

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Vale lurker from HYS, officially joining upon complete 3L OCI fail

Sorry to hear that anondude. You still have time though. What kind of things are you planning on targeting from this point?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:26 am

mr. wednesday wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Vale lurker from HYS, officially joining upon complete 3L OCI fail

Sorry to hear that anondude. You still have time though. What kind of things are you planning on targeting from this point?

Thanks, man. In terms of what to target, I honestly am at a bit of a loss. I'm constantly applying on Symplicity, but I think law at this point might be out of my reach. I have some finance connections from before law school, so I'm looking into IBD and consulting, but it's tough without having had a summer with them. Worse case scenario, I've thought about working at one of the test prep companies. The pay per hour seems great, but I'm guessing the problem is just getting enough hours for a decent living. Anyone think about going down this route? Obviously the fam would be pretty damn ashamed, but if everything else fails at least I know my pseudo-talent of doing extremely well on standardized tests would actually come in useful.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Sent materials off to a jerb a few weeks ago, rejected soon thereafter. Get an email yesterday saying for all of the 300 or so applicants to hold tight. LOLfuckoff.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Sorry if I sound presumptuous, but doesn't HYS pretty much mean you'll have a job eventually, like the month after bar results come out at the latest?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:47 pm

a male human wrote:Sorry if I sound presumptuous, but doesn't HYS pretty much mean you'll have a job eventually, like the month after bar results come out at the latest?

you would hope so but it was surprising how many 3Ls I saw at OCI. maybe they all just wanted to trade up but looking at some of their interview patterns (interviewing at small firms nowhere near where they want to eventually practice) I'm sure quite a few are in the Vale. HYS just guarantees you a less likely chance of striking out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:03 pm

a male human wrote:Sorry if I sound presumptuous, but doesn't HYS pretty much mean you'll have a job eventually, like the month after bar results come out at the latest?

HYS anon above: I certainly hope you're right, and that's what I've always heard, but the fact is that it's little comfort for me at this point where pretty much everyone I know already has a job lined up and I'm still out hustling.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr. wednesday wrote:

Thanks, man. In terms of what to target, I honestly am at a bit of a loss. I'm constantly applying on Symplicity, but I think law at this point might be out of my reach. I have some finance connections from before law school, so I'm looking into IBD and consulting, but it's tough without having had a summer with them. Worse case scenario, I've thought about working at one of the test prep companies. The pay per hour seems great, but I'm guessing the problem is just getting enough hours for a decent living. Anyone think about going down this route? Obviously the fam would be pretty damn ashamed, but if everything else fails at least I know my pseudo-talent of doing extremely well on standardized tests would actually come in useful.

Do you have good grades? Clerkships could be an option and you can apply as a 3L. If you have taken mostly transactional courses, then bankruptcy clerkships could be an option as well as some government jobs.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, man. In terms of what to target, I honestly am at a bit of a loss. I'm constantly applying on Symplicity, but I think law at this point might be out of my reach. I have some finance connections from before law school, so I'm looking into IBD and consulting, but it's tough without having had a summer with them. Worse case scenario, I've thought about working at one of the test prep companies. The pay per hour seems great, but I'm guessing the problem is just getting enough hours for a decent living. Anyone think about going down this route? Obviously the fam would be pretty damn ashamed, but if everything else fails at least I know my pseudo-talent of doing extremely well on standardized tests would actually come in useful.

I don't think it's time to abandon law yet, if that's what you want to do. Smaller firms hire throughout the year, not at OCI. Big firms aren't entirely done their 3L hiring either; you see random stuff popping up every so often. Gov't hiring is just starting for the year. If you've done any PI stuff, there is still a lot of time for that and HYS will open doors with the more prestigious fellowships and placements. EJW registration is open for another week or so, so you can get on that.

Now would be a good time to get a part-time internship in an area you'd find interesting, whether it's at an agency or PD/DA office, in PI, or at a smaller to mid sized firm that might be willing to bring you on full time if you do good work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mr. wednesday wrote:

Do you have good grades? Clerkships could be an option and you can apply as a 3L. If you have taken mostly transactional courses, then bankruptcy clerkships could be an option as well as some government jobs.

Grades are median or maybe slightly below, not really sure. I've taken pretty much 100% transactional classes since 2L, and a few courses at the business school as well. I originally thought clerking would be a waste of time for me because I was so corporate-focused (and I am still at a loss to see how clerking helps someone in corporate), but I'd be willing to try anything right about now. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:38 pm

mr. wednesday wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, man. In terms of what to target, I honestly am at a bit of a loss. I'm constantly applying on Symplicity, but I think law at this point might be out of my reach. I have some finance connections from before law school, so I'm looking into IBD and consulting, but it's tough without having had a summer with them. Worse case scenario, I've thought about working at one of the test prep companies. The pay per hour seems great, but I'm guessing the problem is just getting enough hours for a decent living. Anyone think about going down this route? Obviously the fam would be pretty damn ashamed, but if everything else fails at least I know my pseudo-talent of doing extremely well on standardized tests would actually come in useful.

I don't think it's time to abandon law yet, if that's what you want to do. Smaller firms hire throughout the year, not at OCI. Big firms aren't entirely done their 3L hiring either; you see random stuff popping up every so often. Gov't hiring is just starting for the year. If you've done any PI stuff, there is still a lot of time for that and HYS will open doors with the more prestigious fellowships and placements. EJW registration is open for another week or so, so you can get on that.

Now would be a good time to get a part-time internship in an area you'd find interesting, whether it's at an agency or PD/DA office, in PI, or at a smaller to mid sized firm that might be willing to bring you on full time if you do good work.

Haven't done anything with PI really, and I really don't think it's the place for me to be honest. I'd consider myself pretty apolitical, and I don't really identify with any "causes." I've been focused on business for so long a firm seems like the only place in law that would suit me.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:39 pm

If you go to HYS, you should not worry.......Apply even outside law. A HYS degree is GOLDEN.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:41 pm

sparty99 wrote:If you go to HYS, you should not worry.......Apply even outside law. A HYS degree is GOLDEN.

Wow, that must be pretty damn annoying to hear for HYS people who are struggling.

Return to “Legal Employment”