The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

rad lulz

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:30 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A partner at a dream firm in a dream city said that he wanted to meet me in two weeks. He needed to check with another person about hiring another Associate (we have a date where we are supposed to meet and I'm supposed to follow up with him about availability later this week.

I hope this goes through. I haven't taken that states bar tho. We'll see what happens. This will make all of law school worth it. The tears, disappointment, and rejection.

I really hope it works out for you. Good luck, brother!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 pm

For those willing to relocate, a federal judge in Charleston, WV just posted an opening for a clerk starting this fall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those willing to relocate, a federal judge in Charleston, WV just posted an opening for a clerk starting this fall.

Yep, Judge Thomas Johnston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:24 am

any ideas what the timeline for 3L offers generally are? i interviewed for a smaller office of a big firm about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. i know they were considering at least 1 other interviewee. this was for a position they specifically posted on their website under career opportunities etc. so they should be actually hiring and not just scoping out the market...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:any ideas what the timeline for 3L offers generally are? i interviewed for a smaller office of a big firm about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. i know they were considering at least 1 other interviewee. this was for a position they specifically posted on their website under career opportunities etc. so they should be actually hiring and not just scoping out the market...

Generally longer than 2L

I've heard plenty of stories of people interviewing and getting the job months later, for example

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 am

oh god months later... :shock: they told me it could take a couple of weeks, but i was hoping to hear good news soon so i can stop the mass mailing finally. :(

Void

Postby Void » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 am

I got my job via a 3L screener, but didn't get a callback until months later- after graduation, in fact.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:oh god months later... :shock: they told me it could take a couple of weeks, but i was hoping to hear good news soon so i can stop the mass mailing finally. :(

Maybe you'll hear in 2 weeks. Maybe you won't. There's no way to tell

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:43 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:oh god months later... :shock: they told me it could take a couple of weeks, but i was hoping to hear good news soon so i can stop the mass mailing finally. :(

Maybe you'll hear in 2 weeks. Maybe you won't. There's no way to tell

This.

I think if you're interviewing in the fall, the timeline is a little longer and it shortens as the year progresses (obviously that makes sense). I interviewed on a Friday and received an offer the following Monday. This was after graduation, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 am

There's no pressure on these firms to respond quickly, if at all. I still have firms that I haven't sent me anything half a year after interviewing there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:36 am

I'm waiting on a US Govt position that apparently they won't let me know till "a few weeks." Then, if I get it, I'll have to go through a 2 months security background check. Meanwhile, I'm living on noodles and scraping for money, hoping against all hope that this actually works out so one day I can have a paycheck.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:38 am

Out of 10 firms coming to our second round of 3LOL OCI (only 4 at the first one), I finally got my first pre-select as a 3L... At a personal injury firm. In Las Vegas. I go to school in the Midwest.

Sadly, I'd consider moving to Vegas for a job.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:02 pm

chrisbru wrote:Out of 10 firms coming to our second round of 3LOL OCI (only 4 at the first one), I finally got my first pre-select as a 3L... At a personal injury firm. In Las Vegas. I go to school in the Midwest.

I'd move just about anywhere for a job. A friend of mine moved to Alaska cause thats the only job he could find. If I was single or could convince the girl I'd be in Alaska or some crazy rural town right now. Thank your lucky stars if you're single cause you have way more options than those that aren't. Random middle of nowhere PD and DA offices post on symplicities once in a while and their requirements are basically JD and valid Driver's license. I get that I'd have to live in the middle of nowhere, but a job is a job.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:08 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Out of 10 firms coming to our second round of 3LOL OCI (only 4 at the first one), I finally got my first pre-select as a 3L... At a personal injury firm. In Las Vegas. I go to school in the Midwest.

I'd move just about anywhere for a job. A friend of mine moved to Alaska cause thats the only job he could find. If I was single or could convince the girl I'd be in Alaska or some crazy rural town right now. Thank your lucky stars if you're single cause you have way more options than those that aren't. Random middle of nowhere PD and DA offices post on symplicities once in a while and their requirements are basically JD and valid Driver's license. I get that I'd have to live in the middle of nowhere, but a job is a job.

How serious is this GF? Because honestly outside of an engagement, even a GF is not holding me down from moving just about anywhere.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 pm

deadpanic wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

How serious is this GF? Because honestly outside of an engagement, even a GF is not holding me down from moving just about anywhere.

Engaged for close to a year. Wedding coming up soon. We're BOTH law grads. Shoot me now. :)

Void

Postby Void » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:28 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

Engaged for close to a year. Wedding coming up soon. We're BOTH law grads. Shoot me now. :)

I hear that. Been married 2 years and my options basically include anywhere within an hour of my house. I have a law school friend who insists upon only searching for a job in his home state because "that's where I grew up." If I were him I'd be shooting resumes all across the purple mountains' majesty.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:36 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

...I'm not.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Void wrote:
I hear that. Been married 2 years and my options basically include anywhere within an hour of my house. I have a law school friend who insists upon only searching for a job in his home state because "that's where I grew up." If I were him I'd be shooting resumes all across the purple mountains' majesty.

I've had the whole "Lets move to Alaska or some other rural place with actual lawyer need like SD" for a while now. Not happening. I honestly think the girl is still a bit more optimistic on the job market than she should be. If we're still unemployed by 2014 she may be singing a different tune.

Void

Postby Void » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:03 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Void wrote:

I've had the whole "Lets move to Alaska or some other rural place with actual lawyer need like SD" for a while now. Not happening. I honestly think the girl is still a bit more optimistic on the job market than she should be. If we're still unemployed by 2014 she may be singing a different tune.

Yeah my issue is that my wife already has a career here. Nice because she brings home the bacon (and by that I mean after her grad school loans are paid for the month, we sort of/usually have enough left over for rent). Not nice because there were very few jerbs for mois.

P.S. Alaska's best kept secret is that it's actually really fucking beautiful. It's always the go-to "worst place to move to" butt of jokes, but I would love to live there!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Void wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
Void wrote:

Yeah my issue is that my wife already has a career here. Nice because she brings home the bacon (and by that I mean after her grad school loans are paid for the month, we sort of/usually have enough left over for rent). Not nice because there were very few jerbs for mois.

P.S. Alaska's best kept secret is that it's actually really fucking beautiful. It's always the go-to "worst place to move to" butt of jokes, but I would love to live there!

I put away a bunch of money from the firm that no-offered me so money isn't an issue yet, but I will be legit freaking out if I have nothing by Christmas.

Alaska is pretty nice actually. I hiked De Nali for 2 weeks about a decade ago and loved it. I'm a city guy so it would be a tough adjustment, but honestly I am willing to live absolutely anywhere for a few years to get some experience. If I find nothing here I'm hoping the girl wakes up and agrees to move to the middle of nowhere.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:44 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I put away a bunch of money from the firm that no-offered me so money isn't an issue yet, but I will be legit freaking out if I have nothing by Christmas.

Alaska is pretty nice actually. I hiked De Nali for 2 weeks about a decade ago and loved it. I'm a city guy so it would be a tough adjustment, but honestly I am willing to live absolutely anywhere for a few years to get some experience. If I find nothing here I'm hoping the girl wakes up and agrees to move to the middle of nowhere.

Same here. At some point with no offer, I'm just gonna go be a fly-fishing guide somewhere in the mountains.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:11 pm

The whole I am willing to relocate anywhere hasn't helped me. I have no SO or established connections anywhere, but still get challenged if apply outside the coasts, even in places like Austin. Maybe I just come off as too much of a East/West Coast jew for these places.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The whole I am willing to relocate anywhere hasn't helped me. I have no SO or established connections anywhere, but still get challenged if apply outside the coasts, even in places like Austin. Maybe I just come off as too much of a East/West Coast jew for these places.

Austin is ridiculously hard to break into. I wouldn't consider that a fallback market or anything.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:50 pm

If I emailed a partner at a firm to be a volunteer (used the word "clerk" at a small firm where I interned as a rising 2L) this past weekend and haven't heard back, how long should I wait until I follow up? Should I call rather than email at that follow-up? I had a problem with being too pushy not too long ago, and I want to make sure I don't fuck it up this time. If I can't even get a volunteer position at a firm that knows me, I'm truly going to be sad.

Return to “Legal Employment”