The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:59 pm

I have an interview tomorrow. It's a 6 1/2 hr plane ride away and The interview is about an hour after I'm scheduled to land. Not ideal but it's an interview at a place I'm really interested in so I'm happy. Anybdy have experience with in-house interviews? Are they just similar to law firm interviews. The layout seems pretty similar I'm meeting with 8-9 attys in 30 mins increments.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:00 pm

luckyjd wrote:Mass mailed 40-50 firms over the past couple of weeks. 25% response rate indicating they're full for 2014. Onward with mass mailing... this is starting to get old real fast.
I've massed mail like 60-80 and most haven't even replied and those that have just tell me to go the website and apply there. You have my transcripts and resume what more do you need. Just ding me so we can both move on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 pm

Why do judges suck? Or their clerks? Sometimes when I am too lazy to bluebook a case, I check how other courts have cited it, by looking at cases referencing this one, and I notice elementary bluebooking errors.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why do judges suck? Or their clerks? Sometimes when I am too lazy to bluebook a case, I check how other courts have cited it, by looking at cases referencing this one, and I notice elementary bluebooking errors.
Because only law review nazis care about bluebooking

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why do judges suck? Or their clerks? Sometimes when I am too lazy to bluebook a case, I check how other courts have cited it, by looking at cases referencing this one, and I notice elementary bluebooking errors.
Because only law review nazis care about bluebooking
Sure, but this helps me very little as I prepare my writing sample... thought it was a good way to double check my work by seeing how them judges do it... turned out to be a waste of time. And no, I do not trust just myself and the bluebook...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Judges do whatever they want, including changing citation styles. Maybe it's bluebooking error, or maybe that judge decided that in his courtroom, everything is cited X way. Or maybe they are one of the many judges that openly oppose the bluebook (which is randomly created by a bunch of law students I think) and thus aren't that focused on getting it perfect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Ok... does anyone have any advice about how to approach big 4 accounting? I imagine their deadlines are coming up... anytime soon, but the application process does not seem as standard as that of biglaw...
Also, if I end up graduating jerbless (which is quite a possibility), do you think it is a good idea to take CPA exam and just aim for them? How hard is the CPA exam? Is anyone thinking of this?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
luckyjd wrote:Mass mailed 40-50 firms over the past couple of weeks. 25% response rate indicating they're full for 2014. Onward with mass mailing... this is starting to get old real fast.
I've massed mail like 60-80 and most haven't even replied and those that have just tell me to go the website and apply there. You have my transcripts and resume what more do you need. Just ding me so we can both move on.
Going into 3L I mass mailed 298 places (no exaggeration, I still have my excel spreadsheet saved). I got a grand total of ONE interview out of it. Was told to expect to hear about a CB shortly at the end of the interview. Never heard back. Honestly unless you are at a T14 or have flat out ridiculous grades/resume I think time is better spent making contacts and working part time for a firm than mass mailing. Its possible, but the odds are against you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Going into 3L I mass mailed 298 places (no exaggeration, I still have my excel spreadsheet saved). I got a grand total of ONE interview out of it. Was told to expect to hear about a CB shortly at the end of the interview. Never heard back. Honestly unless you are at a T14 or have flat out ridiculous grades/resume I think time is better spent making contacts and working part time for a firm than mass mailing. Its possible, but the odds are against you.
This.

People preach mass mailing all the time, but I think it's the ultimate "work harder, not smarter" waste of time. I hated doing it. I only truly mass mailed maybe 50 firms, and didn't get any interviews or leads from them. I just felt like an annoying bitch.

The closest thing I did to mass mailing was apply to every job on Symplicity I could find and could remotely be qualified for. I actually did get some interviews from this.

I also kept "mass mailing" OSCAR judges throughout the year. I subscribed to the OSCAR notification thing that tells me when a judge has opened up. I just applied to him/her every time I saw a new judge posting.

The rest of my time I spent going to bar association-type events and working part-time.

About me: went to a T25 school with pretty good grades, but was still jobless going into 3L year. Didn't do an SA. Just graduated and will be working in full-time employment.

It's possible bros (sisters). Keep at it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
I am at a T-14 and I think I will start now massmailing. I kind of waited on purpose believing that now they are too busy with 2L hiring, plus I focused on gov. stuff/consulting apps. I do not expect anything from it, I just want to do it cause the idea of sitting, checking TLS, and overall doing not much as graduation date approaches kills me. Just sending those e-mails somehow makes me feel better about myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
This.

People preach mass mailing all the time, but I think it's the ultimate "work harder, not smarter" waste of time. I hated doing it. I only truly mass mailed maybe 50 firms, and didn't get any interviews or leads from them. I just felt like an annoying bitch.

The closest thing I did to mass mailing was apply to every job on Symplicity I could find and could remotely be qualified for. I actually did get some interviews from this.

I also kept "mass mailing" OSCAR judges throughout the year. I subscribed to the OSCAR notification thing that tells me when a judge has opened up. I just applied to him/her every time I saw a new judge posting.

The rest of my time I spent going to bar association-type events and working part-time.

About me: went to a T25 school with pretty good grades, but was still jobless going into 3L year. Didn't do an SA. Just graduated and will be working in full-time employment.

It's possible bros (sisters). Keep at it!
Mind sharing where you will be working? Gov? Biglaw? Small firm? Also, how you got it... Success stories give me a little more drive.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Full time job. At a jail. As a corrections officer.

I just don't know what to do.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:54 pm

bjsesq wrote:Full time job. At a jail. As a corrections officer.

Wow. Don't they pay pretty good in California? I guess you can do this and apply to crim jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 pm

sparty99 wrote:

Wow. Don't they pay pretty good in California? I guess you can do this and apply to crim jobs.
I get paid 15 bucks an hour

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Mind sharing where you will be working? Gov? Biglaw? Small firm? Also, how you got it... Success stories give me a little more drive.
The job is: public interest/service/government type work (i.e., not law firm).

The process of getting the job (simplified): I was really interested in the field Person A (who was my coworker/supervisor at my 1L/2L summer gig) worked in and just asked him if he'd mind chatting a little bit about what he/she did (Field A). We talked about what Person A did in the past in Field A and how he got into the work, but we also just hit it off about other personal side things, too, such as TV shows, books, etc. We really connected right away and Person A asked me if I wanted to do a project for/with him, and he really liked my work product too. So he basically found out that I was likeable and that I did good work.

I kept in touch with Person A, and he even gave me some other contacts I should reach out to if I was interested in working in Field A. I followed up with some of those contacts so I could learn more and also so I could have a reason to talk with Person A again and tell him how much his contacts and information really helped. He was happy to know that he helped in some way.

During my 3L year, I applied for Job B, and I found out that Person A actually worked at Job B before. Person A put in a call/recommendation for me and really spoke highly of me as a person and of my work product. Job B employer was impressed enough to hire me and here I am.

The thing is, my situation arose through hard work, but it was more luck than hard work and smarts honestly. It took my asking and just reaching out to a lot of people like Person A. I just got lucky in this scenario.

But here's the thing: I have other stories that could've been similar to this one, but they just failed somewhere along the way. Perhaps my contact failed to follow up with me. For example, I had a networking contact tell me he'd email me a list of potential employers that might be hiring and that he knew personally. I was really excited and was waiting, but he never sent it. I just sent one followup phone call/email and then let it go; I wasn't going to beg him for that list of employers. So that just fell flat, and many of your stories/contacts will do the same. You just have to keep sending out those fish lines even if some don't bite. I applied to a lot of jobs and went to a lot of coffee sessions. What motivated me was knowing that I just needed ONE bite. Just one bite. I knew I could have 500 rejections (which I probably had more of) and 1 acceptance, and it'd be okay.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:59 pm

bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Insurance coverage? Benefits?

I mean 15/hr is not a lot, but that info can make the difference... esp with people working for attorney's for less than that a year (30k) with no insurance or benefits.

Just tryin to keep a somewhat positive vibe

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Gorki wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Insurance coverage? Benefits?

I mean 15/hr is not a lot, but that info can make the difference... esp with people working for attorney's for less than that a year (30k) with no insurance or benefits.

Just tryin to keep a somewhat positive vibe
Health insurance is why I took the job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm

May be taking my first step out of the Vale by volunteering for an old boss at a place that hires from within.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Bikeflip wrote:May be taking my first step out of the Vale by volunteering for an old boss at a place that hires from within.
good luck!

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Previous poster here (e.g., Failed).

To answer the questions: It was the NC Bar. I took a normal bar review course and did everything and more that everyone else did. Had good grades in law school, didn't freak out on test day, nothing out of the ordinary, etc.

As for what I am doing now? Nothing at the moment but need to make money so I will see if I can paralegal somewhere for six months or bag groceries or something (maybe volunteer some). Feel like I know everything on the Bar pretty well already so I don't feel like I need six months to study and I am simply mystified.
It is possible that you skipped a question and misbubbled several sections. Check it out when the results are available. Hang in there.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:48 pm

FamilyLawEsq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Previous poster here (e.g., Failed).

To answer the questions: It was the NC Bar. I took a normal bar review course and did everything and more that everyone else did. Had good grades in law school, didn't freak out on test day, nothing out of the ordinary, etc.

As for what I am doing now? Nothing at the moment but need to make money so I will see if I can paralegal somewhere for six months or bag groceries or something (maybe volunteer some). Feel like I know everything on the Bar pretty well already so I don't feel like I need six months to study and I am simply mystified.
It is possible that you skipped a question and misbubbled several sections. Check it out when the results are available. Hang in there.
I have a shitboomer classmate in Greensboro who is a sole practioner I can reach out to if you would like. Just PM me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview tomorrow. It's a 6 1/2 hr plane ride away and The interview is about an hour after I'm scheduled to land. Not ideal but it's an interview at a place I'm really interested in so I'm happy. Anybdy have experience with in-house interviews? Are they just similar to law firm interviews. The layout seems pretty similar I'm meeting with 8-9 attys in 30 mins increments.
I did an in-house interview for an internship, and I would say show your interest in the company and the field it is in. I think this is easier for a company than firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:47 pm

A partner at a dream firm in a dream city said that he wanted to meet me in two weeks. He needed to check with another person about hiring another Associate (we have a date where we are supposed to meet and I'm supposed to follow up with him about availability later this week.

I hope this goes through. I haven't taken that states bar tho. We'll see what happens. This will make all of law school worth it. The tears, disappointment, and rejection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 pm

has anyone who interviewed with gov agencies during OCI hear back? FCC / State / FTC? no idea what the timeline is for these.

bluecanary622

New

Post by bluecanary622 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A partner at a dream firm in a dream city said that he wanted to meet me in two weeks. He needed to check with another person about hiring another Associate (we have a date where we are supposed to meet and I'm supposed to follow up with him about availability later this week.

I hope this goes through. I haven't taken that states bar tho. We'll see what happens. This will make all of law school worth it. The tears, disappointment, and rejection.
how did you start your relationship with him? did you know him personally or just random reaching out or meet at networking event?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”