The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Void wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
:D

Does that mean I can bill for my walk to and from Brugger's to get my breakfast if I'm reading a case on my phone?

No, but only because Bruegers is fucking disgusting.

The fuck is wrong with you? Classic wraps are delicious.

Sorry for the off-topic-ness.

I heard back from the attorney I talked about a few pages ago. He wants to get coffee sometime - so I feel like this isn't really an interview. Should I still wear a suit?

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Void wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Saw this job posting today:

Prepares and reviews correspondence, routine notices, memoranda and reports at the direction of the General Counsel and other attorneys in Legal Department. Assist in answering questions and responding to requests directed to the General Counsel.

J.D. Preferred

I give up.

Why? Sounds like a decent job.

Yeah but it's basically a paralegal position, right?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:41 pm

mr. wednesday wrote:
Void wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Saw this job posting today:

Prepares and reviews correspondence, routine notices, memoranda and reports at the direction of the General Counsel and other attorneys in Legal Department. Assist in answering questions and responding to requests directed to the General Counsel.

J.D. Preferred

I give up.

Basically. I mean, I'm in the vale so I'm applying to everything, but it's a real hit to the self-esteem when you went to law school thinking you'd actually get to be a fucking lawyer rather than the office copy bitch.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:52 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
mr. wednesday wrote:
Void wrote:

Basically. I mean, I'm in the vale so I'm applying to everything, but it's a real hit to the self-esteem when you went to law school thinking you'd actually get to be a fucking lawyer rather than the office copy bitch.

I hear you, but this actually sounds like it could be the kind of gig where you could potentially work your way up to an attorney position decently fast- at least it's not doc review or something. It sounds like there is a little more responsibility involved than typical paralegal work.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:56 pm

A paralegal type position that prefers a JD and doesn't call itself a "paralegal" might be a decent jumping off point. I know someone who worked for a small firm doing essentially that after law school and went from paralegal -> law clerk -> attorney after he proved himself and passed the bar.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:56 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Basically. I mean, I'm in the vale so I'm applying to everything, but it's a real hit to the self-esteem when you went to law school thinking you'd actually get to be a fucking lawyer rather than the office copy bitch.

Yeah, it felt bad to get rejected for a "coordinator" position, especially because I was fairly positive about getting an interview for a BS-required, JD-preferred position. Guess no one can escape from a substandard GPA.

I've started applying to non-legal jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Long time Vale resident...just failed the Bar...no earthly idea why or how...looking for someone to tell me that I can eventually get hired somewhere and am not as screwed as I feel right now...

Just don't know what to do until the February Bar Exam...I did everything right preparing for it so its not like I have some obvious fix here (at least that I can tell now).

-failed

Void

Postby Void » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Long time Vale resident...just failed the Bar...no earthly idea why or how...looking for someone to tell me that I can eventually get hired somewhere and am not as screwed as I feel right now...

Just don't know what to do until the February Bar Exam...I did everything right preparing for it so its not like I have some obvious fix here (at least that I can tell now).

-failed

That sucks, dude. I have nightmares about this happening to me (my results come out in October) so I can only imagine how you feel. That said, it's definitely not the end of the world- you just gotta do what you gotta do, and hit it again in February. Good luck.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Void wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
:D

Does that mean I can bill for my walk to and from Brugger's to get my breakfast if I'm reading a case on my phone?

No, but only because Bruegers is fucking disgusting.

The fuck is wrong with you? Classic wraps are delicious.

Sorry for the off-topic-ness.

I heard back from the attorney I talked about a few pages ago. He wants to get coffee sometime - so I feel like this isn't really an interview. Should I still wear a suit?

Tough call - suit seems overkill to me. I would probably go with slacks, button down, and a blazer. I don't think that would be considered to be under-dressed for meeting for coffee.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Long time Vale resident...just failed the Bar...no earthly idea why or how...looking for someone to tell me that I can eventually get hired somewhere and am not as screwed as I feel right now...

-failed

Truly sorry to hear that. Which bar releases results this early?

Have you heard of the one dude in CA who passed it on his 11th try or something? He's a lawyer now. You can eventually get hired somewhere (hopefully in the future the legal market picks up and everyone can get jobs left and right, those youngsters who won't know the horror of the Vale)

You can still look for JD-required jobs. I hear some doc review places let you do that. Or volunteer somewhere doing legal work.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:40 pm

-failed

Sorry brother; my condolences to you.

First, you get the score breakdown. I'm guessing NC?

Might help to share how you studied too. I can't help (awaiting results), but someone might be able to

And always keep in mind that its not a reflection on you

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:42 pm

-failed

Sorry dude/dudette. I hate hearing this, especially when it sounds like you did everything right.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:42 pm

-failed

What are you doing right now? I would try to at least volunteer somewhere legal a few times a week, keep applying, and prepare to really focus on the bar come Christmas. If you took a course that doesn't offer a free repeat, maybe try something different this time.

Remember, as far as employers know, your plan was always to take the feb. bar and you never failed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Previous poster here (e.g., Failed).

To answer the questions: It was the NC Bar. I took a normal bar review course and did everything and more that everyone else did. Had good grades in law school, didn't freak out on test day, nothing out of the ordinary, etc.

As for what I am doing now? Nothing at the moment but need to make money so I will see if I can paralegal somewhere for six months or bag groceries or something (maybe volunteer some). Feel like I know everything on the Bar pretty well already so I don't feel like I need six months to study and I am simply mystified.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 pm

deadpanic wrote:

-failed

Sorry dude/dudette. I hate hearing this, especially when it sounds like you did everything right.

Sorry man. I hope everything works out.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm really really sorry about the bar.

If there's some sort of process for this (and there usually is for people who've failed), get your score and find out where your weak points were.

Also, find out if there's a process for requesting a re-grade (in the state where I'm barred, if your score is within a certain number of points of passing you can request a re-grade, and sometimes that bumps you over the edge).

Finally, I know someone who failed twice and still got a job (and in fact just got a new one). So it's not the end of the world, it's really not, even if it feels really terrible right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'm really really sorry about the bar.

If there's some sort of process for this (and there usually is for people who've failed), get your score and find out where your weak points were.

Also, find out if there's a process for requesting a re-grade (in the state where I'm barred, if your score is within a certain number of points of passing you can request a re-grade, and sometimes that bumps you over the edge).

Finally, I know someone who failed twice and still got a job (and in fact just got a new one). So it's not the end of the world, it's really not, even if it feels really terrible right now.

Thanks, honestly, this is what I needed to hear. I know things will work out alright in my case but the uncertainty of what I am going to do and why I failed is what is killing me right now. This thread has been great for me over the past few months but never more so than right now. Thank you, all.

-failed

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, honestly, this is what I needed to hear. I know things will work out alright in my case but the uncertainty of what I am going to do and why I failed is what is killing me right now. This thread has been great for me over the past few months but never more so than right now. Thank you, all.

-failed

Keep your head up man. Sending all the good vibes I can your way

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Previous poster here (e.g., Failed).

To answer the questions: It was the NC Bar. I took a normal bar review course and did everything and more that everyone else did. Had good grades in law school, didn't freak out on test day, nothing out of the ordinary, etc.

As for what I am doing now? Nothing at the moment but need to make money so I will see if I can paralegal somewhere for six months or bag groceries or something (maybe volunteer some). Feel like I know everything on the Bar pretty well already so I don't feel like I need six months to study and I am simply mystified.

Sucks man. Hopefully you will nail it in Feb.

In the mean time, one thing you could try to do is get in with a solo practitioner. A lot of solos are use to signing their own shit anyways so it won't matter much that you aren't licensed. Even if you are only working part time for $10/hour, you will be building up experience that you can leverage later on when you get that license.

Don't be afraid to call solos up or shot them an unsolicited email. Most solos are overworked and need help. You might just be the person to help out.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

-failed

If you're in Charlotte I can hook you up with a list of staffing agencies for doc review. Not all the jobs require a license. I also have killer outlines for all the subjects based off of barbri's lectures/handouts. PM me if interested.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:38 pm

moandersen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

-failed

If you're in Charlotte I can hook you up with a list of staffing agencies for doc review. Not all the jobs require a license. I also have killer outlines for all the subjects based off of barbri's lectures/handouts. PM me if interested.

That's a cool bro. Anon breh, my heart goes out to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Still jobless. In debt. Credit limits approaching fast. I *MAY* have a job opportunity lined up but it's so wishy washy now I have no clue. If it works out I'll be saved. Salary is good. If not, I don't know.

In the mean time I need to do something temporary. I don't want to work at a restaurant. What else can I do temporarily that won't require a long-term commitment on my part, for some quick cash?

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:54 pm

You could look in to doc review. Here it pays about $30/hr.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:To answer the questions: It was the NC Bar. I took a normal bar review course and did everything and more that everyone else did. Had good grades in law school, didn't freak out on test day, nothing out of the ordinary, etc.

I'm not going to add anything to what the others have said ITT, just going to say keep your head up and know that the NC bar exam particularly is a dumb crapshoot (I mean I bet part of the reason they get our results back so quick is that they spend 2 seconds grading each essay) of a hazing ritual and in all likelihood it's not your fault. I wish you the very best of luck.

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Mass mailed 40-50 firms over the past couple of weeks. 25% response rate indicating they're full for 2014. Onward with mass mailing... this is starting to get old real fast.

Return to “Legal Employment”