The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bk1

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Void wrote:Why do law students with jobs seem incapable of understanding how to communicate with the jobless?

While this is true, I think OP's question is more of "how do I bring up a sore subject that the person hasn't actually personally told me yet?" which can apply to pretty much anything and is often not the easiest situation to be in.

Void

Postby Void » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 pm

bk1 wrote:
Void wrote:Why do law students with jobs seem incapable of understanding how to communicate with the jobless?

While this is true, I think OP's question is more of "how do I bring up a sore subject that the person hasn't actually personally told me yet?" which can apply to pretty much anything and is often not the easiest situation to be in.

Agreed. But he seems so fixated on the no-offer that he didnt realize that it's a totally unnecessary thing to bring up in order to convey this information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:39 pm

hey. just got an offer for a negotiator position at debt relief company. pay is pretty low but im just curious what ppl thought about any type of movement or exit options.
thanks so much

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey. just got an offer for a negotiator position at debt relief company. pay is pretty low but im just curious what ppl thought about any type of movement or exit options.
thanks so much

This is probably not a good bet.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey. just got an offer for a negotiator position at debt relief company. pay is pretty low but im just curious what ppl thought about any type of movement or exit options.
thanks so much

Be VARY wary of this kind of position. Most debt settlement companies are not legal as there is a massive amount of unlicensed practice of law. Not to mention there are usually rampant violations of consumer protection laws.

You don't want to put your license on the line. Be careful.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:Being up front is probably fine, but you could say:

"Hey bud I don't know if you've heard from your summer firm yet, but I got a great lead on an IP job at my firm. The recruiter asked me to recommend someone, and I want to recommend you, because you are my bro bro. Would you be interested?"

Even if he gets the sense that you know, he probably will appreciate it. I would have.

Thanks. This was great advice.

This afternoon I tried a version of this. It went pretty well. He looked confused at first but then sounded really interested. I am going to call the recruiter and then forward his resume to her.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:36 am

gwuorbust wrote:
thanks so much

Be VARY wary of this kind of position. Most debt settlement companies are not legal as there is a massive amount of unlicensed practice of law. Not to mention there are usually rampant violations of consumer protection laws.

You don't want to put your license on the line. Be careful.

Also this. A lot of them basically scam people into I'll prepared for bankruptcies under the guise of "fighting foreclosure" (AKA filing a skeletal petition and then not prosecuting the case.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 am

Maybe it was who I hung out with during 3L and the fact I didn't have facebook but I did not encounter all this horrible "I have a jerb and you don't" nonsense. If you're around people doing that to you, honestly, find some other people to hang with. That's awful.

For whoever was asking about gov't--PD offices are going to want prior experience. All my work during school was criminal which I'm pretty sure the only reason I've gotten a handful of interviews at those kinds of places. I managed to get connected with the local DA types as well which has been helpful. Neither hires before bar results are out, which, frankly, makes perfect sense to me from their perspective, and neither of them care about grades. Actually, they've all been pretty up front about having been mediocre students but they've had careers I'd claw my own eyes out for. I always have my transcript (which turned out pretty decent) and a writing sample and that sort of thing with me at interviews but they've never asked for it or have waved it off when I've offered. You may also consider county government offices, which is going to heavily depend on how your state government is structured. My state is a little wonky and much of the county work flows through one of the prosecutor's offices.

Anyway. 3Ls who are jerbless, you are NOT alone. I started to feel like everyone in my class had a job and very quickly discovered that was not the case. Get off of Facebook, take care of yourself, and keep hustlin'.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Valers who have graduated: how to characterize yourself on Linkedin? (not that the site is terribly useful for getting jerbs, but just wondering what to put under "position")

Oh, and been facebook-free for 2+ months now...feelsgoodman.

iceman219

Postby iceman219 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Valers who have graduated: how to characterize yourself on Linkedin? (not that the site is terribly useful for getting jerbs, but just wondering what to put under "position")

I characterize myself as "X State Bar Candidate & Recent Graduate of X Law School"

Void

Postby Void » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:05 pm

iceman219 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Valers who have graduated: how to characterize yourself on Linkedin? (not that the site is terribly useful for getting jerbs, but just wondering what to put under "position")

I characterize myself as "X State Bar Candidate & Recent Graduate of X Law School"

This seems to be popular amongst my friends, and appropriate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:12 pm

yep

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:35 pm

The worst part about doing contract legal research is seeing just how fucking stupid some practicing lawyers are and realizing that they have jobs even though they are apparently illiterate and just fucking stupid.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:52 pm

oh hey it's the OCI thread time of year

good times, everyone

good times

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:01 pm

OCI fucked me up

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Does anyone know how to go about becoming a staff attorney? Can someone clerk after such a position? What about big4 accounting? Any info. from fellow vale people is appreciated...
Jerbless rising 3L here trying to explore all options...

Ps... is exploring many options a good idea. I was having coffee with an attorney and she told me that I need to focus on one or two things, and really work on those areas. And this was when I told her that I was looking at 2-3 practice areas, nevermind telling her that I was also looking at Big4, staff positions etc...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:40 pm

I think I might want to just transition to another career. Out of curiosity, why are the rest of y'all insistent on staying in law?

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I can't speak for others, but my style is to hone into one area. My resume is geared toward that area, and I can focus on people and employers in that field. It worked out for summer internships (applied to maybe 25 places and got several interview invitations despite bad grades).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I might want to just transition to another career. Out of curiosity, why are the rest of y'all insistent on staying in law?

It is hard switching careers... especially when you consider the debt load. I would be super-happy though if I could do it.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I might want to just transition to another career. Out of curiosity, why are the rest of y'all insistent on staying in law?

Have you heard of leave law behind? Casey Berman runs it and helps attorneys find their way out of the law. If you ever make contact with him, say Brian referred you, and maybe you'll get a good deal idk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 pm

I am. Of course, it means more education, but I plan to go into a field where most individuals get PSLF. So, that's something to look forward to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:59 pm

Does anyone have experience with going from volunteer DA -> any full time job? My SO was offered a sort-of paid part-time position (it'll cover gas to get there and lunch during those days and that's about it) with the "opportunity for re-evaluation" post-bar results. No other criminal law experience at all, and the position is an hour and a half from where we live, which is terrible.

But otoh, turning anything down right now seems like a poor decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience with going from volunteer DA -> any full time job? My SO was offered a sort-of paid part-time position (it'll cover gas to get there and lunch during those days and that's about it) with the "opportunity for re-evaluation" post-bar results. No other criminal law experience at all, and the position is an hour and a half from where we live, which is terrible.

Will your SO basically be a DA but without full time pay/benefits? Will he or she be able to pretty much do her own trials and cases? If so, this could be a good position if that's the only thing you have. It will also prevent any resume gaps.

I have a friend who was basically a volunteer DA for about a year and finally got offered a full time position when a spot opened up. He did his own trials and did everything a DA would do, except he wasn't paid...However, it's partly luck because you don't know when such a full time paid position will open up.

By the way, do you work? It can be very hard to live financially if you don't work.

Good luck, i really hope it works out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It can be very hard to live financially if you don't work.

lol
yes I work, and make enough to pay all our bills but not to afford two cars on my own, which makes the 1.5 hour each way commute (plus my commute 5 days a week) untenable long-term.

It seems like it would be worth it if other DA offices closer by would consider it good experience but if the best case scenario is just that this office might have an opening... 3 hours a day of driving is so brutal. I guess the only option is to wait and see how much responsibility they give someone who is there part-time.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience with going from volunteer DA -> any full time job? My SO was offered a sort-of paid part-time position (it'll cover gas to get there and lunch during those days and that's about it) with the "opportunity for re-evaluation" post-bar results. No other criminal law experience at all, and the position is an hour and a half from where we live, which is terrible.

I know someone who did this for the DA in Dallas - she got offered a permanent job there after bar results came out. I think it's relatively common as a way to try people out for a permanent gig? And I think it's always easier to find a new job when you have a job already. But that is an awful commute.

Return to “Legal Employment”