The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Void

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Void » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:21 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Found a listing for an immediate hire with a Russian fluency preference. I meet all other requirements by a mile and am fluent in Russian, something I can only assume 95% of law grads are not. If I don't at LEAST get an interview to this thing I'm not really sure what else I can do here.

Good luck dude

What's the Russian connection? Do they have a Russian client or something?

They apparently have a lot of immigration and criminal clients that are Russian and would prefer someone who speaks it. I was born in Russia so I have native fluency. I also like that they are apparently in need of a recent grad RIGHT NOW and said they are not waiting for bar results. Idk, with my luck they won't even contact me but we shall see. I'll report back in 2 weeks after I know what happens.

Удачи!

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Found a listing for an immediate hire with a Russian fluency preference. I meet all other requirements by a mile and am fluent in Russian, something I can only assume 95% of law grads are not. If I don't at LEAST get an interview to this thing I'm not really sure what else I can do here.

Good luck dude

What's the Russian connection? Do they have a Russian client or something?

They apparently have a lot of immigration and criminal clients that are Russian and would prefer someone who speaks it. I was born in Russia so I have native fluency. I also like that they are apparently in need of a recent grad RIGHT NOW and said they are not waiting for bar results. Idk, with my luck they won't even contact me but we shall see. I'll report back in 2 weeks after I know what happens.

Best of luck! Sounds like the perfect match.

Good luck. I know this may be stupid advice but: Make sure they know you were born in Russia and are a native speaker. Also, you are an immigrant too.

I hope this works out for you.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Would anyone recommend taking another state bar in February to expand choices? Possibly one that administers the UBE? Is it worth it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Just finished my first day at the Greek Restaurant. Saw 2 other graduates from my law school having lunch in work clothes. I avoided them out of embarrassment for about 30 minutes until 1 of them said hello. I said a quick hello, apologized for not having time to talk, and walked away. I hope that I didn't seem rude, but it's weird and kind of depressing. It's not like I don't have good grades (between top half to 1/3 from top 25) and a decent resume, but I just can't find the job :(

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would anyone recommend taking another state bar in February to expand choices? Possibly one that administers the UBE? Is it worth it?

I probably wouldn't. I don't think that spending ~$2k in app fees and travel/lodging hoping that passing said test will make you more attractive to employers in only that state one year from now is a wise expenditure of money. If it's a state that you really really want to work in...then I would seriously consider it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:43 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
Jessuf wrote:So here is my legal resume:

You have really good stats and experience man. Posts like this really open my eyes.

3L job search is wild. When or if people get jobs seems only tangentially related to hard factors

Void

Postby Void » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:46 pm

rad lulz wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:
Jessuf wrote:So here is my legal resume:

You have really good stats and experience man. Posts like this really open my eyes.

3L job search is wild. When or if people get jobs seems only tangentially related to hard factors

I was going to say something similar- for every unemployed guy w/ an impressive resume like that, there's a dood with a median GPA and no experience who somehow lands a decent jerb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:56 pm

In my home state, these guys (http://www.alversontaylor.com) hire a large portion of people that apply. They have unreal turnover, so they're always trying to keep up with it. Just throwing that out there for people willing to move to Las Vegas and take the Nevada bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:28 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^What sorts of positions don't care to ask for transcripts? Have shit GPA from T30 but very public service focused resume.

The small firm I worked for one summer didn't ask for a transcript. Also, I saw public interest jobs that didn't request transcripts.

What categories of public interest jobs don't ask for transcripts?

I'm pretty much fucked for clerkships, DOJ, and other "prestigious" gigs.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^What sorts of positions don't care to ask for transcripts? Have shit GPA from T30 but very public service focused resume.

The small firm I worked for one summer didn't ask for a transcript. Also, I saw public interest jobs that didn't request transcripts.

What categories of public interest jobs don't ask for transcripts?

I'm pretty much fucked for clerkships, DOJ, and other "prestigious" gigs.

For the feds, you will absolutely have to have transcripts. Not so much for the less glamorous/prestigious positions at the local/state level like DA/PD. They are more concerned about your experience & dedication to the field.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Feds will ask for transcript but it's not necessarily weighted heavily in the hiring decision.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Hmm. Small firm interview in a week. So tired of the wave of hope that ultimately ends up a pool of sorrow and wasted gas money.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 pm

kalvano wrote:Hmm. Small firm interview in a week. So tired of the wave of hope that ultimately ends up a pool of sorrow and wasted gas money.

Good luck my brother

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 pm

kalvano wrote:Hmm. Small firm interview in a week. So tired of the wave of hope that ultimately ends up a pool of sorrow and wasted gas money.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Domin8.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:05 pm

I need some advice and I think you guys might have a good perspective for this problem.

I have a friend that got no offered but he has not told anyone yet, even me. I only know because he was at the same firm as a couple other people at my school and he has told a couple of them about it. He is into IP law and has an engineering background so I am sure he will be fine. Today the recruiter from my summer firm casually mentioned that they are going to be putting up a posting for a 3L with IP qualifications sometime next month and expect to be interviewing candidates by October. She asked if I had anyone to recommend. I told her I would get back to her. I really want to recommend this friend but I don't know how to do so without making it obvious that I know he got no offered.

So what should I do? I don't really have to recommend anyone but I would love to be able to get my friend an interview and possibly have him at the same firm as me. However, I don't know where he is in the job search process and it seems like a dick move to bring up his no offer before he has decided to tell me himself.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:09 pm

I'd be frank about it. You're only bringing it up because you want to help him out. Just talk to him and explain that your firm is looking for 3Ls and how you know about his no offer. Tell him you don't want to be presumptuous but you'd like to recommend him to your firm if that's something he wants.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Yeah, if I were your friend, I'd be a lot happier about maybe an inside track on a job than I would be unhappy about you knowing about the no-offer.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:12 pm

RELIC wrote:I need some advice and I think you guys might have a good perspective for this problem.

I have a friend that got no offered but he has not told anyone yet, even me. I only know because he was at the same firm as a couple other people at my school and he has told a couple of them about it. He is into IP law and has an engineering background so I am sure he will be fine. Today the recruiter from my summer firm casually mentioned that they are going to be putting up a posting for a 3L with IP qualifications sometime next month and expect to be interviewing candidates by October. She asked if I had anyone to recommend. I told her I would get back to her. I really want to recommend this friend but I don't know how to do so without making it obvious that I know he got no offered.

So what should I do? I don't really have to recommend anyone but I would love to be able to get my friend an interview and possibly have him at the same firm as me. However, I don't know where he is in the job search process and it seems like a dick move to bring up his no offer before he has decided to tell me himself.

If he does not suck, he will appreciate more the opportunity to get a job, rather than the "loss of face" from this situation.
The only thing I can think other than that is maybe to send an e-mail to a select few friends, include him in that e-mail, and mention that an opportunity might rise at my firm. Let me know if you are interested... I am only sending this to people I know and could imagine recommending to my firm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:14 pm

RELIC wrote:I need some advice and I think you guys might have a good perspective for this problem.

Being up front is probably fine, but you could say:

"Hey bud I don't know if you've heard from your summer firm yet, but I got a great lead on an IP job at my firm. The recruiter asked me to recommend someone, and I want to recommend you, because you are my bro bro. Would you be interested?"

Even if he gets the sense that you know, he probably will appreciate it. I would have.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:Being up front is probably fine, but you could say:

"Hey bud I don't know if you've heard from your summer firm yet, but I got a great lead on an IP job at my firm. The recruiter asked me to recommend someone, and I want to recommend you, because you are my bro bro. Would you be interested?"

Even if he gets the sense that you know, he probably will appreciate it. I would have.

This is a good idea too (probably better than mine). No offense pokemon, but I think the email to a few people is just a little too fake.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:15 pm

TCR. This is how to say it.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 pm

bk1 wrote:

This is a good idea too (probably better than mine). No offense pokemon, but I think the email to a few people is just a little too fake.

None taken...

Void

Postby Void » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:52 pm

lukertin wrote:

TCR. This is how to say it.

+1. No reason to bring up the no offer at all. Just say "hey I heard about this opening and thought you might be interested." No awkwardness required.

Why do law students with jobs seem incapable of understanding how to communicate with the jobless?

Return to “Legal Employment”