The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lukertin

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby lukertin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Try getting a clerkship somewhere during 3L. Best outcome is they give you an offer after. Apply to everything. Networking is always credited.

Imo your resume is sort of focused on antitrust and crimlaw. Getting the former is prob harder than the latter. Ill leave the rest to others.

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Jessuf wrote:So here is my legal resume:

[removed just in case]

What should I be doing right now, aside from applying to everything on Symplicity? Should I start trying to meet with alumni doing coffee dates, or should I do that later on in the year?

Here are some honors programs I think might be worth a shot:
FHA
FCC
Treasury (if they have any anti-trust type postings, which they sometimes do)
HUD
USPS (doesn't open until Dec or so)
DOI
PMF (doesn't start until spring)

-local PDs anywhere you might have a tie. Sign up for EJW (it's still open) and you'll get a couple there. I know Colorado hires a ton of people, but there are a few others too. Might leave off the DOJ internship unless it was 2L summer.

-State AGs offices can be really cool places to work and some hire pre-graduation

Other people probably know a lot more about non-gov't work than I do. Magistrates continue to hire throughout the year so keep looking for more openings there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Jessuf wrote:So here is my legal resume:

I have no idea what I am supposed to be targeting here. I don't have a resume that screams any specific area of law, nor have I taken classes that are geared towards a specific area of law. I have pretty much applied for everything that has come to campus for interviews, but I only have fed. gov. screeners so far for positions I know I am really underqualified for. All of the mid-law places that came to campus had no interest in giving me a screener. I spent most of my summer applying to state court and fed. magistrate clerkships, but I have so far received 0 calls.

I have okay stats. T14, LR editor, around top quarter. What should I be doing right now, aside from applying to everything on Symplicity? Should I start trying to meet with alumni doing coffee dates, or should I do that later on in the year?

Your resume looks pretty decent man. Also decent stats. I am sorry that you are struggling, I am also struggling myself, but you seem to have decent experience. Apply broadly, that is one of the good things that you can do when you have many experiences, and sell each experience (that matches employer) as a narrative about why this practice/job is ideal.
I think you should also apply to fed clerkships (maybe as a 3L), cause you never know...

I was recently at a recruiting event, and I noticed some people with pretty weak (on paper) experience, spinning it as if it was the greatest thing. Maybe that could be an issue. I feel as if this might be the issue in my case, and certainly the disappointment of being in the position where we are does not help us in spinning such experiences well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Was in class yesterday, and the professor made us do a dumb introduction. The prompt was simply "Give me some information about you." I was one of the first ones to go and talked about where I'm from and my interests/hobbies. Everyone else got up and basically said "I'm Bob. I worked at [V100 firm] this summer, and I'm excited to go back after graduation this year." Some people even threw in "I am XYZ Executive Editor on my journal, and I'm really excited to get to work on articles!" I found out I was one of only 3 people in a 25 person class who did not do big law last summer and is still looking for a job now. I wish law students would find new ways to define themselves. Now I know I automatically don't like these people, whereas if they led with their love of GoT or zombies or whatever, we could have clicked.

Jeez that's the worst. Law students social skills are a special species of retarded.

In a similar situation, I took a seminar, and the prof was like "raise your hand if you've had any experience in this subject." She then had all dozen or so people who had raised their hand (maybe half the class) announce to the whole class what firm they worked for and what office. I was first called and was forced to say the name of the firm that no offered me, of course.

I don't understand why law students define themselves by where they will work after graduation. It seems last year all the 3Ls at my school could talk about was their summer experience and their offer. I've taken b-school classes and people there talk about actual shit that's interesting, rather than which nice office they'll be doing doc review in next year.

/rant

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 pm

just got an offer for trial consulting firm. just curious what ppl think about exit options? is it possible to transition back to law firms afterwards?

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Saddening news... So I applied to this one clerkship position at a mid-sized firm (the one that required me to pay $15 and wait several days just so I can submit an official transcript). Got a rejection the next day. So I applied to an even lower but related position that merely prefers a law graduate, spending a day to tailor my materials and sending them to the same HR person over the weekend (even though the posting said to send the stuff to the general HR email address). I didn't hear back, and being concerned that it may not have gone through the right channel, I left her a voice mail last night. Today when I didn't hear anything still, I followed up in the afternoon to see what the status was. Left a message with the front desk. Just now, the attorney who referred me to the clerkship position called me and said the HR person talked to him about me. Apparently I was too persistent, and he said it's probably not going to happen with that firm.

This is too stressful. I don't know if I can hold in my dinner. Why did she tell him instead of just saying a simple "your application is in the works," which was all I wanted? I waited for that confirmation 8-6 yesterday and today, jumping at every vibration my phone makes. I just paid nearly $800 today for a car repair, and now I'm not sure what crosses the line of polite persistence anymore.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 pm

a male human wrote:Saddening news... So I applied to this one clerkship position at a mid-sized firm (the one that required me to pay $15 and wait several days just so I can submit an official transcript). Got a rejection the next day. So I applied to an even lower but related position that merely prefers a law graduate, spending a day to tailor my materials and sending them to the same HR person over the weekend (even though the posting said to send the stuff to the general HR email address). I didn't hear back, and being concerned that it may not have gone through the right channel, I left her a voice mail last night. Today when I didn't hear anything still, I followed up in the afternoon to see what the status was. Left a message with the front desk. Just now, the attorney who referred me to the clerkship position called me and said the HR person talked to him about me. Apparently I was too persistent, and he said it's probably not going to happen with that firm.

This is too stressful. I don't know if I can hold in my dinner. Why did she tell him instead of just saying a simple "your application is in the works," which was all I wanted? I waited for that confirmation 8-6 yesterday and today, jumping at every vibration my phone makes. I just paid nearly $800 today for a car repair, and now I'm not sure what crosses the line of polite persistence anymore.

All part of the process man. I'm about 40 apps in for listed positions that I qualify for and sent tailored cover letters to. I have received zero interviews as of right now. Graduated with honors, journal + mock trial in a T2 in the region. It just is what it is. For every position I find there are at LEAST 50 other people sending apps. Just a numbers game for all of us.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 am

a male human wrote:Saddening news... So I applied to this one clerkship position at a mid-sized firm (the one that required me to pay $15 and wait several days just so I can submit an official transcript). Got a rejection the next day. So I applied to an even lower but related position that merely prefers a law graduate, spending a day to tailor my materials and sending them to the same HR person over the weekend (even though the posting said to send the stuff to the general HR email address). I didn't hear back, and being concerned that it may not have gone through the right channel, I left her a voice mail last night. Today when I didn't hear anything still, I followed up in the afternoon to see what the status was. Left a message with the front desk. Just now, the attorney who referred me to the clerkship position called me and said the HR person talked to him about me. Apparently I was too persistent, and he said it's probably not going to happen with that firm.

If your not sure, next time post in the thread and wait for advice before you follow up. Every place is different and every situation is different.

If you can't post in the thread, give it at least a few days before you follow up if you submit over the weekend.

Don't get down on yourself though. She could have easily emailed you and answered your question.

Maybe you could find something to help you get a break from the stress? I've been starting to workout or exercise almost every day and my attitude on life has improved. You have a ton of stress and sometimes you just have to put that burden down for a while.

If you feel panicked -vent here. It is really tough, no one is minimizing that. Post and someone will answer.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:just got an offer for trial consulting firm. just curious what ppl think about exit options? is it possible to transition back to law firms afterwards?

My gut says no

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:41 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just got an offer for trial consulting firm. just curious what ppl think about exit options? is it possible to transition back to law firms afterwards?

My gut says no

What kind of trial consulting? These can actually be solid jobs with long term futures

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:40 am

a male human wrote:

I would do something to help relieve the stress, maybe go for a swim, go see a movie, have dinner with a friend etc.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:57 am

Thanks all for the encouragement! I'm supposed to speak with some alumni upperclassmen tomorrow to get advice and such. I'm also considering volunteering somewhere (old summer firm?) while bar results are pending and maybe find some other means of making cash.

I feel my resume is quite decent except the GPA (unlisted, below median). I wish I had known how much of an impact that really has instead of focusing on extracurriculars and my ex when I was a 1L.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 am

a male human wrote:Thanks all for the encouragement! I'm supposed to speak with some alumni upperclassmen tomorrow to get advice and such. I'm also considering volunteering somewhere (old summer firm?) while bar results are pending and maybe find some other means of making cash.

I feel my resume is quite decent except the GPA (unlisted, below median). I wish I had known how much of an impact that really has instead of focusing on extracurriculars and my ex when I was a 1L.

If it's above 3.0 I'd list it, btw

The only way I wouldn't list it would be if it was true bottom of the barrel

More than just "below median"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:28 am

Dude. That was just too much. Messages on consecutive days is going too far unless you know that the firm is interested. Sorry, man.

Void

Postby Void » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:44 am

rad lulz wrote:
a male human wrote:Thanks all for the encouragement! I'm supposed to speak with some alumni upperclassmen tomorrow to get advice and such. I'm also considering volunteering somewhere (old summer firm?) while bar results are pending and maybe find some other means of making cash.

At my school (and several others) 3.0 was median.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 am

Void wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Ahh fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:22 am

^What sorts of positions don't care to ask for transcripts? Have shit GPA from T30 but very public service focused resume.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 am

UCH alum here. Feel free to PM me.

My advice: search out of the major markets in CA. They are simply way too saturated. You are going to have to be willing to move anywhere in CA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:30 am

i'm curious how you found this job- any info? thanks in advance.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:^What sorts of positions don't care to ask for transcripts? Have shit GPA from T30 but very public service focused resume.

The small firm I worked for one summer didn't ask for a transcript. Also, I saw public interest jobs that didn't request transcripts.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 am

Found a listing for an immediate hire with a Russian fluency preference. I meet all other requirements by a mile and am fluent in Russian, something I can only assume 95% of law grads are not. If I don't at LEAST get an interview to this thing I'm not really sure what else I can do here.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:45 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Found a listing for an immediate hire with a Russian fluency preference. I meet all other requirements by a mile and am fluent in Russian, something I can only assume 95% of law grads are not. If I don't at LEAST get an interview to this thing I'm not really sure what else I can do here.

Good luck dude

What's the Russian connection? Do they have a Russian client or something?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Found a listing for an immediate hire with a Russian fluency preference. I meet all other requirements by a mile and am fluent in Russian, something I can only assume 95% of law grads are not. If I don't at LEAST get an interview to this thing I'm not really sure what else I can do here.

Good luck dude

They apparently have a lot of immigration and criminal clients that are Russian and would prefer someone who speaks it. I was born in Russia so I have native fluency. I also like that they are apparently in need of a recent grad RIGHT NOW and said they are not waiting for bar results. Idk, with my luck they won't even contact me but we shall see. I'll report back in 2 weeks after I know what happens.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Void wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

It is below 3.0, and just "below median" is the impression I'm going for :P

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Good luck dude

They apparently have a lot of immigration and criminal clients that are Russian and would prefer someone who speaks it. I was born in Russia so I have native fluency. I also like that they are apparently in need of a recent grad RIGHT NOW and said they are not waiting for bar results. Idk, with my luck they won't even contact me but we shall see. I'll report back in 2 weeks after I know what happens.

Best of luck! Sounds like the perfect match.

Return to “Legal Employment”