The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gorki

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Gorki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a job working in a Greek restaurant across the street from my condo complex. The owner comes from a family of lawyers, so he understood what was going on and said "Come get your work done here, make some money, and then go start your career." Maybe this won't be so bad.

Greek food is 180 anyways. Seems like a legit choice.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a job working in a Greek restaurant across the street from my condo complex. The owner comes from a family of lawyers, so he understood what was going on and said "Come get your work done here, make some money, and then go start your career." Maybe this won't be so bad.

Sounds cool. In my experience it's pretty tough to find decent work like that where the employer understands that even if you're technically "overqualified" you need the work to pay the bills, just like everyone else. You'll probably also get to work with awesome people, which is pretty rare in a law firm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:58 pm

I wanna start a poll: If a symplicity listing explicitly mentions other documents but does NOT mention a cover letter are you sending one anyway or no? I just sent an app to a listing that explicitly stated they do NOT want a cover letter and it felt pretty dirty.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:03 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I wanna start a poll: If a symplicity listing explicitly mentions other documents but does NOT mention a cover letter are you sending one anyway or no? I just sent an app to a listing that explicitly stated they do NOT want a cover letter and it felt pretty dirty.

When they don't ask for a cover letter, I don't provide one. However, my email message is longer than normal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Joining the Vale! Weighing at T14 middle of the pack.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:00 pm

2Ls emailing me to ask about my summer experience etc. hate them right now. go away.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2Ls emailing me to ask about my summer experience etc. hate them right now. go away.

This is a thing? wuuuut. I would never in a million years cold e-mail a fellow student to pester them, let alone about finding work in the new economy.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Gorki wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2Ls emailing me to ask about my summer experience etc. hate them right now. go away.

This is a thing? wuuuut. I would never in a million years cold e-mail a fellow student to pester them, let alone about finding work in the new economy.

It was a thing at my school. Luckily I worked in a market outside of New York so I didn't get people asking me questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Gorki wrote:

Well, it's moreso students who have screeners or callbacks with the firm I worked with over the summer. They want more information and tips for interviewing. This wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that I don't have an offer with the firm.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Gorki wrote:

Well, it's moreso students who have screeners or callbacks with the firm I worked with over the summer. They want more information and tips for interviewing. This wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that I don't have an offer with the firm.

That's a minefield for you to navigate. Can you say you just don't have time? Or give generic advice if pushed? You need some kind of references from that firm so you can't go too negative because it can easily be traced back to you.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:02 pm

We had orientation today and I was talking to a few 1Ls and this rising 2L, who had been my friend up until today, comes up and tells these girls to disregard everything I say because I don't have a permanent offer so I have no advice to offer anyone regarding anything law-school related. I was shocked by her behavior. First undermining me while talking to these girls, and then using something I had told her in confidence against me. And completely out of nowhere - things seemed good in the spring when I last saw her. She doesn't even have an offer yet for next summer, let alone a permanent offer. Afterwards she did that whole, "I'm sorry if you were upset." Unbelievable.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We had orientation today and I was talking to a few 1Ls and this rising 2L, who had been my friend up until today, comes up and tells these girls to disregard everything I say because I don't have a permanent offer so I have no advice to offer anyone regarding anything law-school related. I was shocked by her behavior. First undermining me while talking to these girls, and then using something I had told her in confidence against me. And completely out of nowhere - things seemed good in the spring when I last saw her. She doesn't even have an offer yet for next summer, let alone a permanent offer. Afterwards she did that whole, "I'm sorry if you were upset." Unbelievable.

...wow. Just wow. What a cunt.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We had orientation today and I was talking to a few 1Ls and this rising 2L, who had been my friend up until today, comes up and tells these girls to disregard everything I say because I don't have a permanent offer so I have no advice to offer anyone regarding anything law-school related. I was shocked by her behavior. First undermining me while talking to these girls, and then using something I had told her in confidence against me. And completely out of nowhere - things seemed good in the spring when I last saw her. She doesn't even have an offer yet for next summer, let alone a permanent offer. Afterwards she did that whole, "I'm sorry if you were upset." Unbelievable.

This sort of behavior is why people were once burned at the stake.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 pm

I literally had no words reading this. Seriously, I am very sorry you had to go through that. I'm legit speechless.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:15 pm

What compelled her to do this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks, guys. It helps to know that I'm not overreacting or being too sensitive.

And I have no idea what compelled her to do this. Things were great at the end of the year, I was really busy this summer and didn't keep in touch, and then this came up today out of the blue. I suppose she's insecure and wanted to build herself up by tearing me down. Or maybe she's nervous about ending up in my position next year this time and wants to find something "wrong" with me to reassure herself that it won't happen to her.

I think there might be a lot of people out there like her - including many of the people I once counted as friends. I can cut them all out of my life or I can learn to keep this kind of information to myself and stop being open and trusting. Either way, I don't look forward to 3L year where I either avoid everyone or I just smile and deflect all questions or give cryptic answers regarding employment.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Either way, I don't look forward to 3L year where I either avoid everyone or I just smile and deflect all questions or give cryptic answers regarding employment.

Everyone will probably calm down about this once the school year gets going and they realize they sound like assholes. The "how was your summer?" question goes away by October.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, guys. It helps to know that I'm not overreacting or being too sensitive.

And I have no idea what compelled her to do this. Things were great at the end of the year, I was really busy this summer and didn't keep in touch, and then this came up today out of the blue. I suppose she's insecure and wanted to build herself up by tearing me down. Or maybe she's nervous about ending up in my position next year this time and wants to find something "wrong" with me to reassure herself that it won't happen to her.

I think there might be a lot of people out there like her - including many of the people I once counted as friends. I can cut them all out of my life or I can learn to keep this kind of information to myself and stop being open and trusting. Either way, I don't look forward to 3L year where I either avoid everyone or I just smile and deflect all questions or give cryptic answers regarding employment.

Some law students are obviously total pricks. It's not you. It's better you find out now that she's an insecure tool than continue to be her "friend".

They do say you learn who your "true" friends are in dark times. I'm not sure I want to know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Email from a recruiter about an entry-level job in a field I have almost zero interest in for $38,000 a year. I will probably regret it, but no thanks. By the time I drive to and from work, I'll rack up about 75-90 miles a day, 2-2.5 hours in traffic, for a job I can make $10,000 a year more teaching high school. Fuck that. I'm going to hold on to the belief that something better will happen, and then go and punch that fucking attorney in the face for being such a shitbag.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:34 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

I literally had no words reading this. Seriously, I am very sorry you had to go through that. I'm legit speechless.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:46 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:One person I graduated with posted a pic of a biglaw conference room and the view with the comment along the lines of "It always sucks to go to work, but at least I get to work in style". Hope a train runs you over on the way home.

DIE DIE DIE IN A FIRE

Yeah I hate this shit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, guys. It helps to know that I'm not overreacting or being too sensitive.

This is crazy. Has she had no interaction with other humans for the last 20+ years? If someone had said shit like this to me after my no-offer, I would have flipped.

As far as keeping this to yourself, do it. I told very few people of my predicament, and by November, the entire class knew I didn't have a job.

Return to “Legal Employment”