The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Pro: Found a really cool job that I completely qualify for.

Con: The job listing had 900 views. So yeah.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
deadpanic wrote:Thoughts on LinkedIn for jobs/networking?

Seems like a waste of time from what I gather.

I'll let you know. I was contacted by a recruiter on linkedin and have had two interviews with a company that I would give my left nut to work for. If I get the job then I'd say linkedin is the best thing ever

Recruiters are always eager to present your application to big-name places, then their communications peter out because I wasn't as good as they thought. This happened twice to me. At least you got interviews out of it, but keep in mind firms will pay a recruiter (i.e., hire you) only if you're legit.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:01 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Pro: Found a really cool job that I completely qualify for.

Con: The job listing had 900 views. So yeah.

Well, someone's got to be that one N**** in ten thousand.

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 pm

kalvano wrote:I am utterly terrible at email subject lines. What's a good one for a distant relative who you haven't seen in a long time but works in a local firm and you're emailing to beg for a job? "Associate Position" or something sounds so random and non-family-ish.

Pick up the phone and call, especially if this relative is over 30.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Might get offered a 30k yr job with a solo bankruptcy guy. He told me I'd be driving a lot and work 70ish hours a week. The big catch is he wants a 2-3 year contract, and I plan to move to a different state with my gf in 2 years. Thoughts?

Congrats. Are you in a state where 30k is livable?

Not really.

Damn that's rough to have to commit to that for 2 years. Unless he's willing to negotiate in terms of salary I'd be hesitant to take the deal.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:40 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Might get offered a 30k yr job with a solo bankruptcy guy. He told me I'd be driving a lot and work 70ish hours a week. The big catch is he wants a 2-3 year contract, and I plan to move to a different state with my gf in 2 years. Thoughts?

Not really.

Damn that's rough to have to commit to that for 2 years. Unless he's willing to negotiate in terms of salary I'd be hesitant to take the deal.

In this economy? If anything that screams job security to me. I'd commit in a second.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:41 pm

It is probably a contract where you can be fired at any time but you cannot quit at any time.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Don't sign an employment contract without having an expert look at it. I'm sure he can fire you but there will be damages if you quit.

I just have a bad feeling about this guy. But bankruptcy is a skill you can take and open your own shop.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:

Not really.

In this economy? If anything that screams job security to me. I'd commit in a second.

I hear you but I think he should try to negotiate. It's a rough deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 pm

NYstate wrote:Don't sign an employment contract without having an expert look at it. I'm sure he can fire you but there will be damages if you quit.

I just have a bad feeling about this guy. But bankruptcy is a skill you can take and open your own shop.

What "expert" would I go to? Another attorney? Career lulservices? I know it provides job security, but damn 30k is tough for that stretch of time.

My gf's parents think I should turn this down and hold out until I get my bar results back. Thoughts?

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Do bar results make a big difference? I'm waiting on mine myself, so I don't know.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:10 pm

a male human wrote:Do bar results make a big difference? I'm waiting on mine myself, so I don't know.

It seems like they matter around here. Lots of small time shitlaw postings on symplicity make it clear that "applicant must be licensed to practice in state at time of application," and the like. My guess is that some places don't want to invest time and effort into recruiting you and then find out you failed the bar. Plus, there are plenty of unemployed licensed attorneys who could start work tomorrow, so why hire a kid who can't practice for another month?

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Void wrote:
a male human wrote:Do bar results make a big difference? I'm waiting on mine myself, so I don't know.

It seems like they matter around here. Lots of small time shitlaw postings on symplicity make it clear that "applicant must be licensed to practice in state at time of application," and the like. My guess is that some places don't want to invest time and effort into recruiting you and then find out you failed the bar. Plus, there are plenty of unemployed licensed attorneys who could start work tomorrow, so why hire a kid who can't practice for another month?

What the fuck are supposed to do for 3 months?

Void

Postby Void » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 pm

a male human wrote:
Void wrote:

Skyrim?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Void wrote:
a male human wrote:
Void wrote:

Skyrim?

GTA V coming in a month!

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Have an employment lawyer look at it before you sign it. Call the local bar for a referral.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:46 pm

I say reject it. At 70 hours a week for 30k a year you are only making ~$8/hour. You could make more being a waiter. Or a bowling ally assistant. Or almost anything.

There are a lot of solo attorneys who are willing to pay $15-20 an hour for part time contract legal work. I think the job offer you've got is too lousy to consider, unless you can work 35 hours a week or less. At 70 hours a week this job would be insanity.

iceman219

Postby iceman219 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:50 pm

gwuorbust wrote:

I say reject it. At 70 hours a week for 30k a year you are only making ~$8/hour. You could make more being a waiter. Or a bowling ally assistant. Or almost anything.

There are a lot of solo attorneys who are willing to pay $15-20 an hour for part time contract legal work. I think the job offer you've got is too lousy to consider, unless you can work 35 hours a week or less. At 70 hours a week this job would be insanity.

He would pay a paralegal more, and he's also asking you to go to court, deal directly with clients, etc.

The only way I would consider accepting it if it was a hybrid salary + performance-based incentive. Like if you bring in $x of business, or deal with x number of clients, or something. For a multi-year commitment, you should have some upside at the end of it.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:15 pm

Void wrote:
a male human wrote:
Void wrote:

Skyrim?

Shit yeah, I painstakingly leveled my Enchanting to 100 and made a sick potion (used an in-game trick relying on stacking potion effects), which I used to make some godly gear. Why don't we have spoiler tags
http://i3.dealtwith.it/i/n/2cfcf72dd035 ... 209750.jpg

This is not as nerdy as it sounds. Right?

Guys?

Whatever, this was uninstalled in lieu of Diablo 3 last year, and I just installed Bioshock Infinite, which seems p cool.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 pm

a male human wrote:
Void wrote:
Skyrim?

Shit yeah, I painstakingly leveled my Enchanting to 100 and made a sick potion (used an in-game trick relying on stacking potion effects), which I used to make some godly gear. Why don't we have spoiler tags
http://i3.dealtwith.it/i/n/2cfcf72dd035 ... 209750.jpg

This is not as nerdy as it sounds. Right?

Guys?

Whatever, this was uninstalled in lieu of Diablo 3 last year, and I just installed Bioshock Infinite, which seems p cool.

Lol I don't know why, but the fact that I have never played Skyrim makes your response extra funny.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 pm

I think the biggest key to landing work is figuring out how to convince people that you are worth their time. This is all my tipsy personal opinion, but here is what I think you should do.

First, you have to not act desperate. Employers - just like girls in a bar - can smell desperation. You want to be confident about yourself.

Second, talk to people our of your comfort zone. That means talk to the boomers at the events. Boomers may be the cause of our problems, but they have the money to pay $15-20/hour for your work.

If you can talk yourself up to boomers with confidence, that will go a long way. Most people I know who are friends with boomers have found a job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:Don't sign an employment contract without having an expert look at it. I'm sure he can fire you but there will be damages if you quit.

What "expert" would I go to? Another attorney? Career lulservices? I know it provides job security, but damn 30k is tough for that stretch of time.

My gf's parents think I should turn this down and hold out until I get my bar results back. Thoughts?

I would advise that you should hold back. Remember, it is him asking you for a contract, not you asking him for the contract. That minimally must mean that job security is not why the contract is there. Him taking advantage of you is more likely why the contract is there, maybe damages in case you quit or something along those lines.

Also, why would he need such a contract unless he wanted to take advantage of you and treat you badly?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 pm

I wouldn't do it. In my city you can make more as a manager at McDonalds working 35 a week.

A dude who is going to pay you basically nothing an expect two years of your life (70 hours a week is basically your life) is going to push you under the bus, into malpractice, or into a divorce. Or all 3.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
a male human wrote:Are we bitter about donations because we don't have jobs, or the school itself didn't do anything for us?

Why should I donate to a school that charged me out the ass to attend?

Amen. Definitely not donating to my T30, which has the gall to post a FTLT JD required job with a whopping salary of $10K on its Symplicity.. :shock:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/law-scho ... imum-wage/

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:07 am

I definitely wouldn't sign an employment contract for a job like that. He's fucking you over on pay, which is why he wants you locked in. He knows you'll come to work and still be job shopping. Fuck him and his $8/hr legal job.

Return to “Legal Employment”