The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessuf

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yo everybody, a lot of the judges in the DC Superior Court are accepting clerkship applications right now. Just thought I'd throw it out there. They aren't being clear about the compensation though :/.

It's like $56k or something. It says in the Vermont Guide.

Anyone have a list? There's 61 of them :D

My school has a spreadsheet with app requirements, timelines, hiring info if you want to PM me.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:07 pm

I haven't updated my Linkedin in forever. Am I supposed to have connections on this thing or do interviewers not care when they look me up? My mom, who is in sales and has a bajillion connections, told me I should just not have a Linkedin if I'm only going to have 10 connections or whatever because I look like a loser who doesn't know anyone. I AM a loser who doesn't know anyone, but I don't have time for or interest in finding and adding people.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:17 pm

chrisbru wrote:So.... I had an OCI interview with a firm I really liked yesterday. My interview time was late in the day, and the partner had to leave right before my time slot for another engagement. So I interviewed with a c/o 2012 grad from my school who I know tangentially who has been with the firm ~1 year. It was a good interview, and I could tell he thought I was a good fit... But he's only been there a year.

Should I email the partner that was supposed to be in that time slot and ask if he has a little bit of time to speak with me on the phone or something?

Quoting this because I didn't get any responses....

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:18 pm

JenDarby wrote:Having to obtain official transcripts is the worst. Employers should only require them upon extending offers as a condition of employment.

Just ask if you can send in an unofficial one since an official one costs money, and if the firm wishes to pursue your application, you'd be happy to provide an official one.

Alternatively, ask for like 15 official transcripts at once so as to avoid having to repeatedly go back.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:08 pm

I looked at my undergrad transcript order history from UCLA, and it went from $8 to $10 (or something) to $15

Even transcript prices inflated proportionally to tuition

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:19 pm

a male human wrote:I looked at my undergrad transcript order history from UCLA, and it went from $8 to $10 (or something) to $15

That is some shameful shit. My school has been raising transcript costs too steadily.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Someone needs to pay for those colors on the transcript. My favorite part is that you need two business days at my school to get the transcript... two business days for something that they just have to print and sign!!!!! The process should not take more than ten minutes...

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:22 pm

chrisbru wrote:
chrisbru wrote:So.... I had an OCI interview with a firm I really liked yesterday. My interview time was late in the day, and the partner had to leave right before my time slot for another engagement. So I interviewed with a c/o 2012 grad from my school who I know tangentially who has been with the firm ~1 year. It was a good interview, and I could tell he thought I was a good fit... But he's only been there a year.

Should I email the partner that was supposed to be in that time slot and ask if he has a little bit of time to speak with me on the phone or something?

Was this a screener?
Maybe contact recruiting to see if they want to reschedule.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:24 pm

NYstate wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Was this a screener?

It was OCI... So, yeah, pretty much a screener.

Edit: they don't have "recruiting," they are only about 18 attorneys.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:28 pm

I am utterly terrible at email subject lines. What's a good one for a distant relative who you haven't seen in a long time but works in a local firm and you're emailing to beg for a job? "Associate Position" or something sounds so random and non-family-ish.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:
NYstate wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Was this a screener?

It was OCI... So, yeah, pretty much a screener.

Edit: they don't have "recruiting," they are only about 18 attorneys.

No harm in asking but don't sound like you are begging for a little time. Tell him how much you liked the firm, that you enjoyed the interview that you think you would be a good fit and ask to reschedule either in person or on the phone.

I can't think of how that would be wrong.

Maybe someone else has another idea.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:37 pm

a male human wrote:I looked at my undergrad transcript order history from UCLA, and it went from $8 to $10 (or something) to $15

All those lazy motherfuckers need to do is press "print" on a fucking machine. It will print out some fucking paper and they can put it in a fucking envelope with a shitty seal to seem "OMFG IMPORTANT." Because, you know, your world is over if the transcript is not OMFG OFFICIAL.

I hate college(s).

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:38 pm

kalvano wrote:I am utterly terrible at email subject lines. What's a good one for a distant relative who you haven't seen in a long time but works in a local firm and you're emailing to beg for a job? "Associate Position" or something sounds so random and non-family-ish.

What is the relation? Could you call them or have someone else call or email them first on your behalf? Don't just say associate position.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:39 pm

NYstate wrote:
kalvano wrote:I am utterly terrible at email subject lines. What's a good one for a distant relative who you haven't seen in a long time but works in a local firm and you're emailing to beg for a job? "Associate Position" or something sounds so random and non-family-ish.

What is the relation? Could you call them or have someone else call or email them first on your behalf? Don't just say associate position.

I guess I could call, but I always hesitate to just ring someone up when I know they are busy. Email allows them to check back with me when they have a chance.

He'll know who I am, but we aren't close or anything.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi
Hello
Hello from [your location]
Looking to chat about [firm]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Might get offered a 30k yr job with a solo bankruptcy guy. He told me I'd be driving a lot and work 70ish hours a week. The big catch is he wants a 2-3 year contract, and I plan to move to a different state with my gf in 2 years. Thoughts?

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Might get offered a 30k yr job with a solo bankruptcy guy. He told me I'd be driving a lot and work 70ish hours a week. The big catch is he wants a 2-3 year contract, and I plan to move to a different state with my gf in 2 years. Thoughts?

I'll pass on advice I got from a lawyer: He said to try to avoid solo guys because you probably won't get the kind of training and work experience you'd like.

However, if you're really into bankruptcy, you might think of it as a clerkship or internship and go for it if you have no other options. By the way, I was browsing craigslist yesterday, and I think you could make at least 30k/yr doing something else, like waiting tables (mad cash tips) and being a product demonstrator at Whole Foods and such ($15/hr for asking customers to try some food).

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:09 pm

God damn it, every time my phone vibrates upon getting a new email, I immediately look with a shot of adrenaline pumping into my head and heart and am almost invariably disappointed because it's either a rejection or some random shit that's not an interview invitation. Tweaking on emails has to be bad for my health.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 pm

a male human wrote:

Hi
Hello

The first three sound super spammy.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Might get offered a 30k yr job with a solo bankruptcy guy. He told me I'd be driving a lot and work 70ish hours a week. The big catch is he wants a 2-3 year contract, and I plan to move to a different state with my gf in 2 years. Thoughts?

Congrats. Are you in a state where 30k is livable?

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:
a male human wrote:

Hi
Hello

Haha just suggestions. An underclassman recently emailed me with "Hi" as the subject line, and it was a good email. Likewise, hopefully once the relative opens it from a familiar-sounding name, it'll be apparent it's not spam.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:00 pm

deadpanic wrote:Thoughts on LinkedIn for jobs/networking?

Seems like a waste of time from what I gather.

I'll let you know. I was contacted by a recruiter on linkedin and have had two interviews with a company that I would give my left nut to work for. If I get the job then I'd say linkedin is the best thing ever

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
deadpanic wrote:Thoughts on LinkedIn for jobs/networking?

Seems like a waste of time from what I gather.

I'll let you know. I was contacted by a recruiter on linkedin and have had two interviews with a company that I would give my left nut to work for. If I get the job then I'd say linkedin is the best thing ever

And if not?

"Fuck LinkedIn!"

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:22 pm

a male human wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
a male human wrote:

Hi
Hello

Haha just suggestions. An underclassman recently emailed me with "Hi" as the subject line, and it was a good email. Likewise, hopefully once the relative opens it from a familiar-sounding name, it'll be apparent it's not spam.

I get spam emails from my boomer relatives that start with "hi." These emails are for V!AGr@, because the boomer didn't change their password in like 5 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:00 pm

newyorker88 wrote:

Congrats. Are you in a state where 30k is livable?

Not really.

Return to “Legal Employment”