The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, c/o 2013 Valers, who's gonna flip their shit when their school starts calling for "contributions"? (Honestly, even if I were jerbed, I wouldn't give a dime to my T30, just doesn't make any sense!)

I'm going to ask them for an email address for more information, then send an itemized list of all the bullshit charges I got hit with during school and ask for a refund before I consider giving anything back.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:33 pm

My school called me the other week asking me if I would like to "renew" my alumnus donation for this year.

I never donated in the first place. Was rather peeved at the caller. I wonder if this is a common tactic among schools.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 pm

y2zipper wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:So if anyone remembers that I had another interview before I got my other job, I just got a call back from them. Since I'm in DC anyway looking for places, I figured I'd just go on the off chance it seems like a better opportunity than the job I already took. However, I only brought shorts and a sundress with me on this trip. Looks like I either have to go shopping or show up as the most unprofessional person the interviewer has ever seen. Haha

:lol: I love the idea of walking into a job interview in either.

I kind of want to do it since I already have a job anyway and I'd get a good story out of it. I considered telling the interviewer that I did not pack appropriate attire, but that seemed like an over share.I think I will forgo buying a wole suit though since I'm kind of broke and just buy a pencil skirt and button up the Cardigan I brought with me all the way.

Sundress and sandals isn't credited, but you'd be relaxed as hell in that interview if you did that. If you didn't expect to be interviewed, they probably wouldn't expect you to buy a suit so maybe you could pull it off.

I was going to suggest like a suit rental, although that may not work the same for women as it does for men.

Yeah, my apartment search ran long, and all the stores were closed except target. All I managed to find is a yellow pencil skirt, and no shoes (leaving with me with only sandals). This is going to be a disaster. I would say they shouldn't expect anything, but I was the one that suggested today (vs. me coming back down next week - seems like a waste). I don't know... I also found out it's a three person interview. I think I'm going to have to go in and apologize for my outfit.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:06 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Yeah, my apartment search ran long, and all the stores were closed except target. All I managed to find is a yellow pencil skirt, and no shoes (leaving with me with only sandals). This is going to be a disaster. I would say they shouldn't expect anything, but I was the one that suggested today (vs. me coming back down next week - seems like a waste). I don't know... I also found out it's a three person interview. I think I'm going to have to go in and apologize for my outfit.

I think it could kind of be a good ice breaker to show up slightly under-dressed. I'm sure they will understand.

Edit - If offered, would you take this job over the one you already have?
Last edited by deadpanic on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:07 pm

deadpanic wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Yeah, my apartment search ran long, and all the stores were closed except target. All I managed to find is a yellow pencil skirt, and no shoes (leaving with me with only sandals). This is going to be a disaster. I would say they shouldn't expect anything, but I was the one that suggested today (vs. me coming back down next week - seems like a waste). I don't know... I also found out it's a three person interview. I think I'm going to have to go in and apologize for my outfit.

I think it could kind of be a good ice breaker to show up slightly under-dressed. I'm sure they will understand.

Slightly is an understatement. But hopefully they do. If not, ohh well. I just have to hope those three are never in a position to hire me again.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:09 pm

What in the world? DC doesn't have late night stores? You wrote that post at 9 on Tuesday, D.C. is basically Des Moines.

Edit: Nah that's unfair even Des Moines has a 24 hr Walmart that sells clothes.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:What in the world? DC doesn't have late night stores? You wrote that post at 9 on Tuesday, D.C. is basically Des Moines.

Well, I'm staying with a friend in Virginia. But all the real stores like Ann Taylor, ect were closed. So I went to Target. They had a small professional section. My options were a yellow pencil skirt, a blue striped dress (no suits to be found), and while I found shoes, I couldn't walk in any of them - so I said fuck it. I also wrote that post at 11 on a Tuesday - not 9.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:21 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:What in the world? DC doesn't have late night stores? You wrote that post at 9 on Tuesday, D.C. is basically Des Moines.

Well, I'm staying with a friend in Virginia. But all the real stores like Ann Taylor, ect were closed. So I went to Target. They had a small professional section. My options were a yellow pencil skirt, a blue striped dress (no suits to be found), and while I found shoes, I couldn't walk in any of them - so I said fuck it. I also wrote that post at 11 on a Tuesday - not 9.

You're right always forget my post are in MT time. Do the stores open early enough that you could buy something before your interview? You'd be surprised, some have very early opening hours. When I summered in NYC I would go to the gym in my office building before work. One morning I left my shirt at home by accident. I lived in the Bronx and my firm was in lower Manhattan, so going back was not an option but to my surprise the Jos. A. bank near my job store opened up at 7:30 and I bought a shirt there before work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:29 am

I had a solicitor from my undergrad call me. We shot the breeze a little and then he got to the point.

"Would you like to donate $100 today?"
"I'm not really in the position to be donating money right now, sorry."
"How about $60? I understand it's a hard economy right now."
"No, I'm not interested in donating any amount."
"I understand, sir/ma'am. How about $30 today?"
"I just told you no..."
"Okay, how about $10?"
"Really...?"

He was probably a part-time student worker doing his job, but it was annoying.

lukertin wrote:My school called me the other week asking me if I would like to "renew" my alumnus donation for this year.

I never donated in the first place. Was rather peeved at the caller. I wonder if this is a common tactic among schools.

You shoulda told them, "Sure...I'd like to renew...my donation of $0."

If I were ballsy enough, I would donate $1 per year and basically cause the school to lose money while processing my donation and sending me additional solicitation letters. And the $1 donation would send a message to them about how much I appreciate the school too.

However, I am a pussy and am too conformist to do that.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:You shoulda told them, "Sure...I'd like to renew...my donation of $0."

If I were ballsy enough, I would donate $1 per year and basically cause the school to lose money while processing my donation and sending me additional solicitation letters. And the $1 donation would send a message to them about how much I appreciate the school too.

I want to do this for real.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 am

a male human wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You shoulda told them, "Sure...I'd like to renew...my donation of $0."

I want to do this for real.

When my law school hits me up for money, I will donate 39¢.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:40 am

I went to UC schools for my BA and JD. I contribute by paying my taxes and voting for politicians I think will protect the UC system.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 am

[quote="unc0mm0n1"]What in the world? DC doesn't have late night stores? You wrote that post at 9 on Tuesday, D.C. is basically Des Moines.

Edit: Nah that's unfair even Des Moines has a 24 hr Walmart that sells clothes.[/quote]

Thanks for the fix. And, seriously, even Target stays open until 10.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am

chrisbru wrote:

Edit: Nah that's unfair even Des Moines has a 24 hr Walmart that sells clothes.[/quote]

Thanks for the fix. And, seriously, even Target stays open until 10.

haha no problem. Midwest is the best.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:52 am

Don't worry, Snowpeach. If you ever want to buy classy suits and button-ups from a Walmart at 2am in DC, there are Walmarts here.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:27 am

Jessuf wrote:Don't worry, Snowpeach. If you ever want to buy classy suits and button-ups from a Walmart at 2am in DC, there are Walmarts here.

Well now I feel totally awesome about moving here. I always find myself wanting to buy suits in Wal-Mart at 2am. Anyway... I think I actually found an apartment here - at Ballston. Kind of expensive, but, I'm over all the looking. And the interview didn't go that badly. All four people interviewing me were dressed really casually. Biggest issue was not clothes, but me not knowing my Congressperson, for a political job. Wap wap.

edit: Also, most annoying thing ever when my school asks for money. Since I did same college and law school, I would get hit up while I was still a student. And i'd be like... i'm already paying you guys thousands a year. Chill.

Cyne

Postby Cyne » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:40 am

Hmmm. I am debating my reaction when they call me a donation. Besides the whole "I am not giving you another cent" bit. I'd like to string 'em along a little bit.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:58 am

Are we bitter about donations because we don't have jobs, or the school itself didn't do anything for us?

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:01 pm

a male human wrote:Are we bitter about donations because we don't have jobs, or the school itself didn't do anything for us?

Mixture of both I reckon

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 pm

a male human wrote:Are we bitter about donations because we don't have jobs, or the school itself didn't do anything for us?

Why should I donate to a school that charged me out the ass to attend?

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:46 pm

kalvano wrote:

What if the tuition you paid was actually the bare minimum they could afford to accept while keeping the business running?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:54 pm

a male human wrote:
kalvano wrote:

What if the tuition you paid was actually the bare minimum they could afford to accept while keeping the business running?

Not applicable to almost any law school. Even if it was, maybe they should slash the bloated professor salaries then. Their broken business model is not my concern. My own money is my concern.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:20 pm

a male human wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Run a better business. If you stopped paying 200K+ for part time professor work, gave everyone huge bonuses, shut down 3 professor taught research classes and 10 person OCSs maybe you wouldn't need to charge as much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:21 pm

When I was in UG I worked as a solicitor of donations for the school. I did not care even a little how much, if at all, you donated, because I was just chilling in a nice air conditioned office for a few hours to make some money toward my own tuition. So personally I'm not going to do anything rude to anyone who asks me to donate to my law school, just a polite "no thanks and please take me off your list, thanks" for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I was in UG I worked as a solicitor of donations for the school. I did not care even a little how much, if at all, you donated, because I was just chilling in a nice air conditioned office for a few hours to make some money toward my own tuition. So personally I'm not going to do anything rude to anyone who asks me to donate to my law school, just a polite "no thanks and please take me off your list, thanks" for me.

You're a better person than I am, then.

Return to “Legal Employment”