The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snowpeach06

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 pm

So if anyone remembers that I had another interview before I got my other job, I just got a call back from them. Since I'm in DC anyway looking for places, I figured I'd just go on the off chance it seems like a better opportunity than the job I already took. However, I only brought shorts and a sundress with me on this trip. Looks like I either have to go shopping or show up as the most unprofessional person the interviewer has ever seen. Haha

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:46 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:So if anyone remembers that I had another interview before I got my other job, I just got a call back from them. Since I'm in DC anyway looking for places, I figured I'd just go on the off chance it seems like a better opportunity than the job I already took. However, I only brought shorts and a sundress with me on this trip. Looks like I either have to go shopping or show up as the most unprofessional person the interviewer has ever seen. Haha

:lol: I love the idea of walking into a job interview in either.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If you just want to get an LRAP qualifying job you might be able to swing high school teacher, depending on where you're from

I'm loathe to contradict a veritable titan of this (and other) forums, but my career services told me high school teachers don't qualify for LRAP, if by LRAP you mean the assistance program funded by schools to help pay your interest while in a public service job. Of course, this could vary from school to school. If you mean the actual government program where you get your loans forgiven after ten years, then, yeah, you're good.

Good catch. Meant ibr

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:So if anyone remembers that I had another interview before I got my other job, I just got a call back from them. Since I'm in DC anyway looking for places, I figured I'd just go on the off chance it seems like a better opportunity than the job I already took. However, I only brought shorts and a sundress with me on this trip. Looks like I either have to go shopping or show up as the most unprofessional person the interviewer has ever seen. Haha

I kind of want to do it since I already have a job anyway and I'd get a good story out of it. I considered telling the interviewer that I did not pack appropriate attire, but that seemed like an over share.I think I will forgo buying a wole suit though since I'm kind of broke and just buy a pencil skirt and button up the Cardigan I brought with me all the way.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If you just want to get an LRAP qualifying job you might be able to swing high school teacher, depending on where you're from

I'm loathe to contradict a veritable titan of this (and other) forums, but my career services told me high school teachers don't qualify for LRAP, if by LRAP you mean the assistance program funded by schools to help pay your interest while in a public service job. Of course, this could vary from school to school. If you mean the actual government program where you get your loans forgiven after ten years, then, yeah, you're good.

Good catch. Meant ibr

I would love to teach high school, actually. But unless you find a private high school that's willing to hire you (and after watching some well qualified veteran teachers I know HUNT for positions recently, I don't think it's that easy), you will need to have whatever certification the state requires, which itself costs time and money.

Definitely just wear a pencil skirt and cardigan, don't spend money on a suit you don't need since it sounds like you aren't at all desperate for this job.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:06 pm

You could just return the clothes afterward.

y2zipper

Postby y2zipper » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:16 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I kind of want to do it since I already have a job anyway and I'd get a good story out of it. I considered telling the interviewer that I did not pack appropriate attire, but that seemed like an over share.I think I will forgo buying a wole suit though since I'm kind of broke and just buy a pencil skirt and button up the Cardigan I brought with me all the way.

Sundress and sandals isn't credited, but you'd be relaxed as hell in that interview if you did that. If you didn't expect to be interviewed, they probably wouldn't expect you to buy a suit so maybe you could pull it off.

I was going to suggest like a suit rental, although that may not work the same for women as it does for men.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Cyne wrote:My Career Services Office is just lulzy.

"Use Martindale!"

"Did you know the internet is a great resource?"

"What about mass mailing?"

"Do you check Simplicity often?"

Dear God, TLS has better advice than the garbage they spew out. And you guys do it for free (Career Services is a part of tuition which I am convinced can be automated by software at this point).

I did like one person: "I honestly don't know what I can tell you. Keep trying." No advice > advice that insinuates I am brain dead.

Side note: Doc review or manual labor? I have no aversion to busting ass in the sun. Which would you take?

my CSO is the same way - if you didn't get something through OCI, their only advice is mass mailing, and if that doesn't pay off, take a long walk off a short pier

avoiding double-posting: Martindale's job search function is completely broken, which seems oddly appropriate

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:14 pm

SMU's Career Services is staunchly against mass-mailing and advises against it any time it comes up.

"Specific, targeted inquiries" is their advice.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:54 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

...Leave the tags on and return?

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:14 pm

ninereal wrote:

"Use Martindale!"

Dear God, TLS has better advice than the garbage they spew out. And you guys do it for free (Career Services is a part of tuition which I am convinced can be automated by software at this point).

I did like one person: "I honestly don't know what I can tell you. Keep trying." No advice > advice that insinuates I am brain dead.

Side note: Doc review or manual labor? I have no aversion to busting ass in the sun. Which would you take?

my CSO is the same way - if you didn't get something through OCI, their only advice is mass mailing, and if that doesn't pay off, take a long walk off a short pier

avoiding double-posting: Martindale's job search function is completely broken, which seems oddly appropriate

I don't know what law students expect from CSOs. There is nothing they can do, really.

But more importantly, I don't know why tuition money is wasted on them. They can't do anything aside from tell people to apply for job postings, send out unsolicited applications, and network. Those are literally the only ways to get a job. Nowadays CSOs should be reduced to a handout with links to TLS and JDU and nothing more.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:20 pm

hiima3L wrote:
ninereal wrote:

"Use Martindale!"

I don't know what law students expect from CSOs. There is nothing they can do, really.

But more importantly, I don't know why tuition money is wasted on them. They can't do anything aside from tell people to apply for job postings, send out unsolicited applications, and network. Those are literally the only ways to get a job. Nowadays CSOs should be reduced to a handout with links to TLS and JDU and nothing more.

I'm some fairness to my CDO, they have worked with some gubmit agencies and non-profits to get us some "Trap State U School of Law" only jerb positions. When I mean some jerb positions, I mean less than 10, or around 3% of the class.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:32 pm

hiima3L wrote:
ninereal wrote:

"Use Martindale!"

Well, one thing that's frustrated me is that they have no sense whatsoever of the legal landscape in my hometown (which is, by the way, a major city) beyond the firms that come to OCI (and there are maybe 7-8 of them). Some sort of ability to say "here's a list of some firms, gov't agencies, etc., that don't come to OCI, but that still might be worth taking a look at" would've helped a lot.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 pm

I was waiting for a call for an informational interview but wanted to use the restroom (#1). I took my phone and hoped he wouldn't call, but he did midstream. What a coincidence! I wish my job search had the same level of "right place, right time" serendipity.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:14 pm

a male human wrote:I was waiting for a call for an informational interview but wanted to use the restroom (#1). I took my phone and hoped he wouldn't call, but he did midstream. What a coincidence! I wish my job search had the same level of "right place, right time" serendipity.

You hold it in brah?

Void

Postby Void » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 pm

hiima3L wrote:

This. My school had like 10 people working in Career Services, doing a job that 1-2 people could have handled with ease. (Setting up OCI with only like 12 firms twice a year; putting on 2 useless "networking events" and inviting "employers" who aren't actually hiring)

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
a male human wrote:I was waiting for a call for an informational interview but wanted to use the restroom (#1). I took my phone and hoped he wouldn't call, but he did midstream. What a coincidence! I wish my job search had the same level of "right place, right time" serendipity.

You hold it in brah?

I did a quick cost-benefit analysis and blasted most of it out and let remnant drops go free onto my thighs. Flushed and picked up on the 3rd or 4th ring. The good thing was that I was able to pick up with gusto and enthusiasm in my voice because I subconsciously wanted to hide the flushing sound.

Void

Postby Void » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:36 pm

a male human wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

You hold it in brah?

I did a quick cost-benefit analysis and blasted most of it out and let remnant drops go free onto my thighs. Flushed and picked up on the 3rd or 4th ring. The good thing was that I was able to pick up with gusto and enthusiasm in my voice because I subconsciously wanted to hide the flushing sound.

Pretty good. You could have gone full alpha and just openly pissed with gusto and confidence as you picked up the phone, but your technique was alright.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Void wrote:
a male human wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

You hold it in brah?

Pretty good. You could have gone full alpha and just openly pissed with gusto and confidence as you picked up the phone, but your technique was alright.

Thanks. Is this expertise where your avatar comes from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:09 pm

a male human wrote:Thanks. Is this expertise where your avatar comes from?

Yes. "Void" as in poop, and the swirly thing represents a flushing toilet.

Void

Postby Void » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:Thanks. Is this expertise where your avatar comes from?

Yes. "Void" as in poop, and the swirly thing represents a flushing toilet.

Oops- that was me. Accidental anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:23 pm

So, c/o 2013 Valers, who's gonna flip their shit when their school starts calling for "contributions"? (Honestly, even if I were jerbed, I wouldn't give a dime to my T30, just doesn't make any sense!)

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, c/o 2013 Valers, who's gonna flip their shit when their school starts calling for "contributions"? (Honestly, even if I were jerbed, I wouldn't give a dime to my T30, just doesn't make any sense!)

I would never give a dime to my school no matter how much money I made. For what, so they hire more CSO people to sit around and gossip while giving horrible advice all day? So they can give even larger bonuses to their professors?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, c/o 2013 Valers, who's gonna flip their shit when their school starts calling for "contributions"? (Honestly, even if I were jerbed, I wouldn't give a dime to my T30, just doesn't make any sense!)

I would never give a dime to my school no matter how much money I made. For what, so they hire more CSO people to sit around and gossip while giving horrible advice all day? So they can give even larger bonuses to their professors?

Them school funded Jerbs!

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Maybe if I donate, it will increase the school ranking and make my background look better.

Return to “Legal Employment”