The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:08 pm

I am in the other boat. My numbers after 1L were consistently getting into GULC and plenty of T30s. I didn't transfer cause my firm said the offer was stamp,sealed and delivered...until they weren't anymore.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:17 pm

I have an interview with a firm that's stated they're basically sure they aren't hiring any more 3Ls, BUT they'd love me to come in and generally discuss employment!!! .....

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:23 pm

"Woulda, coulda, shoulda" bros and ladybros. I know the feeling, but don't think about how you wished you didn't transfer. You can't change it, and all it will do is drive you nuts.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:34 pm

JenDarby wrote:I have an interview with a firm that's stated they're basically sure they aren't hiring any more 3Ls, BUT they'd love me to come in and generally discuss employment!!! .....

Sometimes I think firm partners are bored and need to take a break by talking to people in nice suits.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:37 pm

a male human wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I have an interview with a firm that's stated they're basically sure they aren't hiring any more 3Ls, BUT they'd love me to come in and generally discuss employment!!! .....

Sometimes I think firm partners are bored and need to take a break by talking to people in nice suits.

:lol:

They have normal 2L callbacks going on now, so they have a lot of interviewees but I imagine there aren't many 3Ls going in to not be hired. I wonder if everyone I meet with will know in advance that I have little to no hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:57 pm

JenDarby wrote:
a male human wrote:

:lol:

They have normal 2L callbacks going on now, so they have a lot of interviewees but I imagine there aren't many 3Ls going in to not be hired. I wonder if everyone I meet with will know in advance that I have little to no hope.

Honestly, do not get your hopes too high, but that does not sound too bad. Partners are busy and there are tons of 3Ls that have contacted that firm, so they liked something about you and invited you. They might have a spot and they are not certain about it, or a spot might be created a few months from now and they will remember you.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Jobless 3L here, seriously considering getting a med post-bacc and trying for something less risky. I know the loans will be huge at this point, but there are some programs where you can work in underserved areas and get your loans forgiven. So I guess that's what I'm aiming for.

If you just want to get an LRAP qualifying job you might be able to swing high school teacher, depending on where you're from

I'm guessing you don't really have talent for medicine (which is why you did law)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:13 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I regret transferring now. People from my old TTT who weren't even top quarter are posting all over Facebook about post-grad jobs they just lined up. I'd love to have some of their jobs.

Whoa, how did that happen? Did you transfer to a better school with worse placements? Or did you have a harder time at your new school?

Well, I am pretty open about my fails, so I don't really care about people asking questions.

I transferred from a regional southeast TTT to GULC. The EIC of the LR during my 1L year at the TTT graduated jobless, the school's employment figures were suspiciously high yet only 4 firms or something came to OCI (and none of those firms ended up hiring SAs from the TTT anyway), and several younger professors begged me to transfer. Plus I didn't have an interest in remaining in that region.

So I left. But now, I am open to working pretty much anywhere, including tiny towns in states I've never been to, and I wonder if I would have had something lined up now with some little town DA office like a lot of my old fellow students. I went from top 1% to top 25%, which isn't bad, but it's depressing to know old fellow students who are median at a crap school are resting easy knowing they will be working at the state attorney's office come 2014. It makes me wonder what my future would be like had I stayed.

I know it's pretty worthless to do the whole "coulda woulda shoulda" dance, but this sorta reminds me of my own 3L jerb search experience.

In my experience, it seems that the biggest boost in hiring from going to a "prestigious" out of state school is mainly with orgs who care about prestige. The feds, clerkships, and large/boutique business-y firms. The problem is if you're looking for a job as a 3L, the feds don't hire anyone, clerkships are insanely competitive, and a lot of firms done hire their summers. So you're looking at small firms and local govt. But people at TTTs have been networking at those places from the beginning and are able to clerk at small firms or intern w local govt. during the year. Those employers are often alums of the local TTTs, go to their alma mater to recruit, and are down to hire those TTT kids. Plus from the "preftigious" school you're often not in that target market so it makes it harder to get shit done. Just another reason 3L jerb search can be so shitty.

(note that I wouldn't advocate going to the TTT; a lot of those peeps are fucked too)

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:13 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Jobless 3L here, seriously considering getting a med post-bacc and trying for something less risky. I know the loans will be huge at this point, but there are some programs where you can work in underserved areas and get your loans forgiven. So I guess that's what I'm aiming for.

If you just want to get an LRAP qualifying job you might be able to swing high school teacher, depending on where you're from

I'm guessing you don't really have talent for medicine (which is why you did law)

I disagree. This is a viable option. Just try to take the MCAT in 2014 because it is changing in 2015. There won't be as much practice material. But maybe only a couple of sections are changing?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:15 am

rad lulz wrote:

That's actually sorta how I got my job. A partner was like "I don't think we need anyone, but come in for the interview and if we can't do anything for you I can do my best to put you in touch w people who can." I came in and did the interview, and a few months later, they realized they were gonna need someone.

So yeah do a good job in the interview. You never know. And if nothing else you get a free lunch and some good contacts.

+1

They are busy people and they wouldn't bring you in if they weren't considering you should something open up.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:42 am

NYstate wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

That's actually sorta how I got my job. A partner was like "I don't think we need anyone, but come in for the interview and if we can't do anything for you I can do my best to put you in touch w people who can." I came in and did the interview, and a few months later, they realized they were gonna need someone.

So yeah do a good job in the interview. You never know. And if nothing else you get a free lunch and some good contacts.

+1

They are busy people and they wouldn't bring you in if they weren't considering you should something open up.

Thanks guys. I definitely am going in and taking it seriously. It was just a bit of a let down since I was REALLY excited about my interview, and then after the fact I was later told they weren't hiring. On the other hand my screener style interview changed to a callback style interview, so at least I will speak with more people.

Cyne

Postby Cyne » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 am

Gratz to you folks getting interviews!

Had an interesting conversation with a senior partner today. First part of the conversation was like hey, you should apply here! Second part, ohhh you're a 3L. Third part...ohhh you don't have IP. He even recommended I go back to school to do the patent bar prereqs. Might be something to look into- I could do them in about a year. Only would if I had a conditional offer though.

Good connection who was at least piqued by my background. Even if a connect does not work out now, who knows about later in my (hopeful) career.

I'm thankful people are at least looking at me despite the TT. Maybe things will heat up more later in the year. In the meantime: /facedesk.

iceman219

Postby iceman219 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:16 am

I agree, I think at the present moment we are in a lull before Bar results come back.

I've been mass mailing firms during this period, and the one or two semi-positive responses coming back amidst the rejections have been "no needs now, but we likely will need someone in 3-4 months." Being Barred and ready to go will (or hopefully?) be the kickstarter to getting offered. Plus, it is slightly possible that a few of the mass mailed firms have new associate availability after some of their newly minted "associates" failed the Bar.

Just keep at it, keep playing the numbers game, it only takes one offer to completely alter your perspective from your present dire straits.

samIam777

Postby samIam777 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:17 am

I seriously can't take this anymore. Sent the following email to Career Services:

Thanks, [Career Service Officer]. I got it scheduled for Friday afternoon. I was actually toying with the idea of discontinuing the job search and simply becoming a high school teacher. Maybe we can address the chances of me still securing a top legal position. If the chances are low, I'd rather just cut my losses, as law school (coupled with the loss of my father) has taken a tremendous toll on my health. I simply can't continue to deal with this stress, whatever possibilities the future might bring. Outside of the classroom, law school for me has been nothing but one unmitigated disappointment, from OCI to clerkships to my summer internship to the 3L job search. I'm pretty sure I would truthfully trade in my J.D. at this point just to have my debt erased (although I doubt [Law School Dean] would accept that unless I did something crazy like go to AbovetheLaw and even then, I'm certain s/he would just take her/his lumps.). For whatever reason, things are playing out far below what my resume would suggest, and I don't think it's the interviewing, as I've gotten largely positive feedback from mock interviews and positions I was rejected for after call-backs. Those are just some of my thoughts, and I'm sorry if this is more rhapsodic than it should be but it can help set the agenda for Friday, which I think should include a discussion of alternative careers, whether they be teaching, business, or something else. Thanks for your continued support, and I certainly feel like you've done all you can to help.

Didn't mean the end to come across as sarcastic at all, hope it doesn't get read that way. He actually has done quite a bit to help and secured me a Weil interview I mentioned a few days ago.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 am

Man, I wish my Career Services guy would actually try and personally help me, other than sending out emails that show the Texas Bar's Career Center listings for jobs for experienced attorneys and titling it "Look What You Can Get After You've Been Licensed!"

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 am

kalvano wrote:Man, I wish my Career Services guy would actually try and personally help me, other than sending out emails that show the Texas Bar's Career Center listings for jobs for experienced attorneys and titling it "Look What You Can Get After You've Been Licensed!"

It's pretty frustrating isn't it? Ours posts jobs for firms looking for attorneys with 5+ years of experience...

The other ones they e-mail us are non-paying internships in NY/DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am

rad lulz wrote:If you just want to get an LRAP qualifying job you might be able to swing high school teacher, depending on where you're from

I'm loathe to contradict a veritable titan of this (and other) forums, but my career services told me high school teachers don't qualify for LRAP, if by LRAP you mean the assistance program funded by schools to help pay your interest while in a public service job. Of course, this could vary from school to school. If you mean the actual government program where you get your loans forgiven after ten years, then, yeah, you're good.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am

deadpanic wrote:
kalvano wrote:Man, I wish my Career Services guy would actually try and personally help me, other than sending out emails that show the Texas Bar's Career Center listings for jobs for experienced attorneys and titling it "Look What You Can Get After You've Been Licensed!"

It's pretty frustrating isn't it? Ours posts jobs for firms looking for attorneys with 5+ years of experience...

The other ones they e-mail us are non-paying internships in NY/DC.

I nearly drove to the OCS office and punched him in the face for sending it. Fuck you, Career Services guy. I know exactly what opportunities are out there when I get licensed and experienced because I look at the goddamn job listings every day. It doesn't help me very much right now, does it spunk trumpet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 am

Yeah, I am thankful for the effort my career service office has expended in my job search. They've tried to do what they can. I will say, though, I think Weil actually called the school to ask for available candidates. The CSO director was kind enough to give me the nod.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 am

kalvano wrote: spunk trumpet?

I'm going to start using this.

Cyne

Postby Cyne » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:08 pm

My Career Services Office is just lulzy.

"Use Martindale!"

"Did you know the internet is a great resource?"

"What about mass mailing?"

"Do you check Simplicity often?"

Dear God, TLS has better advice than the garbage they spew out. And you guys do it for free (Career Services is a part of tuition which I am convinced can be automated by software at this point).

I did like one person: "I honestly don't know what I can tell you. Keep trying." No advice > advice that insinuates I am brain dead.

Side note: Doc review or manual labor? I have no aversion to busting ass in the sun. Which would you take?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:31 pm

JenDarby wrote:
NYstate wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

+1

Thanks guys. I definitely am going in and taking it seriously. It was just a bit of a let down since I was REALLY excited about my interview, and then after the fact I was later told they weren't hiring. On the other hand my screener style interview changed to a callback style interview, so at least I will speak with more people.

Sounds almost exactly like my situation. Good luck!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Cyne wrote:My Career Services Office is just lulzy.

"Use Martindale!"

"Did you know the internet is a great resource?"

"What about mass mailing?"

"Do you check Simplicity often?"

Dear God, TLS has better advice than the garbage they spew out. And you guys do it for free (Career Services is a part of tuition which I am convinced can be automated by software at this point).

I did like one person: "I honestly don't know what I can tell you. Keep trying." No advice > advice that insinuates I am brain dead.

Side note: Doc review or manual labor? I have no aversion to busting ass in the sun. Which would you take?

Yeah most helpful advice I received was "you're doing all you can do. Keep it up."

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:35 pm

rad lulz wrote:Yeah most helpful advice I received was "you're doing all you can do. Keep it up."

Hell, I'd actually appreciate that more than having smoke blown up my ass.

Return to “Legal Employment”