The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 am

Doc review bro, do that. $30/hr, 40 hours a week.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Doc review bro, do that. $30/hr, 40 hours a week.

You get paid that much doing doc review?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:38 am

Easier said than done, most of the doc review jobs I've seen have required you to already be barred and usually have experience too

MG95

Postby MG95 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:12 am

Last edited by MG95 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 am

JenDarby wrote:

You get paid that much doing doc review?

That's about standard in NY

http://www.yorkson.com/jobdetail.asp?jobid=2850

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:40 am

$30 is standard for NY, $27 for other big cities (think Philly, Chicago, etc.), $25 for mid sized cities (think Charlotte, Nashville), $21 for smaller mid size cities (think Pittsburgh, Richmond) and slightly under 20 for everything else.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:

Easier said than done, most of the doc review jobs I've seen have required you to already be barred and usually have experience too

That's true too. All the ones I've seen require you to be barred and I just took the bar last week.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:03 am

Well, I'm out of the Vale, I was offered that job on the spot at my interview yesterday. I'm still not entirety sure what I'll be doing, but hopefully it'll be interesting and involve some international travel. Now I just have the awkward task of quitting a fellowship I'm doing early, and the really annoying task of finding housing in DC that fits with my pitiful budget (45k a year, at least initially) and allows my cat. I'm not sure why I'm more scared and annoyed than excited right now.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Well, I'm out of the Vale, I was offered that job on the spot at my interview yesterday. I'm still not entirety sure what I'll be doing, but hopefully it'll be interesting and involve some international travel. Now I just have the awkward task of quitting a fellowship I'm doing early, and the really annoying task of finding housing in DC that fits with my pitiful budget (45k a year, at least initially) and allows my cat. I'm not sure why I'm more scared and annoyed than excited right now.

Congrats! You're one of the posters I've been rooting for the most. Check out padmapper for housing, I love that website.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:07 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Well, I'm out of the Vale, I was offered that job on the spot at my interview yesterday. I'm still not entirety sure what I'll be doing, but hopefully it'll be interesting and involve some international travel. Now I just have the awkward task of quitting a fellowship I'm doing early, and the really annoying task of finding housing in DC that fits with my pitiful budget (45k a year, at least initially) and allows my cat. I'm not sure why I'm more scared and annoyed than excited right now.

It's a jerb. You may like it. So grats!

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 am

The good thing about DC is that there are lots of other people in their 20s looking for housing on a small budget. You'll definitely be able to find good roommates who aren't too weird. And ditto on the padmapper suggestion.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 am

Congrats!! (Sometimes it takes a while to get over stressful situations, you'll get excited eventually.)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:25 am

Awesome! What's the job? DC sounds real fun though I'll tell you what

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Dude, if there is any major city in the US that you can live very comfortably on a 45k salary, DC is it. Congrats! Find a cheap apartment (there are plenty, or get roommates) and everything else is not too expensive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:01 pm

That's true too. All the ones I've seen require you to be barred and I just took the bar last week.

You guys need to go through legal staffing companies. They will find you the doc review jobs that do not require the bar. I'm meeting with one of them on Monday to see if they can place me in any doc review positions. It sucks, but hey it's money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You guys need to go through legal staffing companies. They will find you the doc review jobs that do not require the bar. I'm meeting with one of them on Monday to see if they can place me in any doc review positions. It sucks, but hey it's money.

What do you do if you have a job as a 4E paying mid 100k but got no offered from SA? It makes no sense to take doc review especially when mortgage/family etc is considered, so is the idea just to take a stab at market paying big law and see where that takes me? I can't afford to take a job with significantly lower pay so do I have any choices? I want to be a lawyer but not at the cost of losing the house and lifestyle etc.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What do you do if you have a job as a 4E paying mid 100k but got no offered from SA? It makes no sense to take doc review especially when mortgage/family etc is considered, so is the idea just to take a stab at market paying big law and see where that takes me? I can't afford to take a job with significantly lower pay so do I have any choices? I want to be a lawyer but not at the cost of losing the house and lifestyle etc.

What is a 4E

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How much does a staffing company charge?

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What is a 4E

I think last year evening student

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 pm

So that 4E poster has a job paying $100k and is not satisfied with that because he wants $160k? I don't get it.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:So that 4E poster has a job paying $100k and is not satisfied with that because he wants $160k? I don't get it.

+1

Enjoy the "knowledge" you obtained from law school (lol) and keep the $100k job. It doesn't, to me, seem worth it to give up that salary for the potential to one day make more that likely will not be realized.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:19 pm

chrisbru wrote:
rad lulz wrote:So that 4E poster has a job paying $100k and is not satisfied with that because he wants $160k? I don't get it.

+1

Enjoy the "knowledge" you obtained from law school (lol) and keep the $100k job. It doesn't, to me, seem worth it to give up that salary for the potential to one day make more that likely will not be realized.

4E is the same as a 3L except in the evening division. At Fordham? Anyway, seems like 4E is working during the day making $100k and just got no-offered from SA and would like to remain in the field of law but not take a pay cut from current $100k day job.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Congrats! You're one of the posters I've been rooting for the most. Check out padmapper for housing, I love that website.

Aw, that was really sweet. Thanks!
msridiculous447 wrote:The good thing about DC is that there are lots of other people in their 20s looking for housing on a small budget. You'll definitely be able to find good roommates who aren't too weird. And ditto on the padmapper suggestion.

It's not just the roomies I'm worried about... it's living in a shithole in the ghetto. I got kind of spoiled with Mid-west prices and was living in a really nice apartment. Plus, I'm somewhat of a home body who is very into home decor and design, so it's going to be really hard to live somewhere crappier. To find an acceptable place, looks like I'll have to spend like 50% of my budget on housing - and that might just be financially irresponsible.

rad lulz wrote:Awesome! What's the job? DC sounds real fun though I'll tell you what

Basically, it's an org. that uses IP to develop third world nations. But, right now they are awaiting funding from the feds, and so theoretically, if they don't get it, they could go bankrupt and I'd be out of a job (which is somewhat concerning to me). Anyway, it's not entirely clear what I'm doing, because it is project dependent and right now, they don't have any going - everything is in the pipe line (also concerning). But ultimately, since it's a small org. I'd be doing pretty much everything related to the projects + misc. other stuff like basically running the org (I'm not sure why they thought I was qualified for that).

Anyway, thanks guys. Good luck to everyone still looking!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Congrats!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

Congrats!

It's been a good week for the vale

2 people who I've know (as poasters) for like 3 yrs

Return to “Legal Employment”