The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:17 am

Joining the Vale. Received an interview with a magistrate judge - any advice?

aliens

Postby aliens » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
NYstate wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Update: the ticket I'm booked for has me in D.C. for only 3.5 hours. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in another interview (because I know there is a lunch involved), unless I can change the ticket. And, I'm not sure how I could do that on my credit card without them knowing. Sucks though, because the place I'm working for now would probably be pissed if I have to take another day off.

Can't you just ask the firm doing the interview to extend the ticket? They probably just picked the shortest amount of time, there is no reason you can't just ask for a couple more hours. If it costs more, offer to pay.

Well, first off it's a P.I. organization. But most importantly, the interviewer was very worried that I had any other possible opportunities, and I had to lie and assure him I didn't. So, I would have to come up with a convincing lie yet again, and I just don't want to bother him.

You could tell them you want to spend more time in the area to explore it and get your bearings. That would make them more convinced of your sincerety.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 am

Joining the Vale and its seriously making me reconsider law as a career after a no offer out of the blue... I'm not the type of person that takes things passively though, so I'm going to aggressively pitch pretty much the whole Vault 100 plus some boutiques before I reassess if this is the industry I really want to be in...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Joining the Vale and its seriously making me reconsider law as a career after a no offer out of the blue... I'm not the type of person that takes things passively though, so I'm going to aggressively pitch pretty much the whole Vault 100 plus some boutiques before I reassess if this is the industry I really want to be in...

Unless you are ip or have some other really in demand skill you're probably gonna have to extent your search outside those parameters

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:57 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Joining the Vale and its seriously making me reconsider law as a career after a no offer out of the blue... I'm not the type of person that takes things passively though, so I'm going to aggressively pitch pretty much the whole Vault 100 plus some boutiques before I reassess if this is the industry I really want to be in...

Unless you are ip or have some other really in demand skill you're probably gonna have to extent your search outside those parameters

IP and banking experience, so big law really isn't much of a pay boost... I think the worst part will be telling friends and family because they'll always assume some sort of fuck up on my end...

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:15 am

Applying for paralegal positions now. Things are going swimmingly.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:31 pm

rad lulz wrote:

The other avenue is tax law. Tax and IP are really their own job market. People seem to limit themselves to LLMs, but getting into a decent Masters of Accounting program can usually get a pretty good spot in tax policy at a Big 4 or strong regional.

I hesitate to recommend anyone take on more debt, but its astonishingly easy to get into a top 5 accounting program with money. I know several people who did this and they had no trouble at all. Almost did it myself.

I have to caveat this with the acknowledgement that its anecdotal, but at a fundamental level trying to leverage yourself for a tax career is a good way to increase your odds. At the very least, knowing I had a backup plan on the table eased my nerves a little as 3L year got bleaker and bleaker.

Edit:

Lol. Or nevermind.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... pends.html

My cursory research just now indicates my anecdotal evidence does not back up with what others are saying. Oh well, something to consider I guess.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Almost a year to the day since getting no offered, I'm out of the vale. There were ups and a lot of downs, and this thread probably exacerbated the anxiety, but to all of you still here and especially to the newcomers, keep grinding it out, networking, and maintaining confidence in yourself, and you will find something that gets you where you want to be.

It's a shitty market, but we all have long careers ahead of us so keep your difficulties in perspective and you'll pull through.

But seriously, fuck the vale and fuck this profession. I'm out.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:33 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:Almost a year to the day since getting no offered, I'm out of the vale. There were ups and a lot of downs, and this thread probably exacerbated the anxiety, but to all of you still here and especially to the newcomers, keep grinding it out, networking, and maintaining confidence in yourself, and you will find something that gets you where you want to be.

It's a shitty market, but we all have long careers ahead of us so keep your difficulties in perspective and you'll pull through.

But seriously, fuck the vale and fuck this profession. I'm out.

Grats my man

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from Littler? I interviewed with them about a week ago but forgot to ask about their timeline for 3Ls.

Which office?

Littler SF/LA.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Just received an offer from a firm I found by searching on my undergrad's career website. Thanks Lawl School CSO.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Just received an offer from a firm I found by searching on my undergrad's career website. Thanks Lawl School CSO.

Congrats. Happy for you. And great hustle.

Does anyone think it would help to make a list of all the strategies people are using or have used?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Just received an offer from a firm I found by searching on my undergrad's career website. Thanks Lawl School CSO.

Congrats!!!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:20 pm

That would be cool. I think maybe gather comments via a google doc and then organize/post them in the OP here?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:That would be cool. I think maybe gather comments via a google doc and then organize/post them in the OP here?

Gimme a minute.

EDIT: K. Started a shitty draft here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

I'd add more, but running late for something "fun." Add your stuff to the list. I made a suggestion column, because you bros will do better at this whole google collaboration than I will.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:42 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Congrats!!!

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Congrats!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:50 pm

My CSO has snagged me a couple of on-campus interviews this week with big firms looking for 3Ls. Had no idea CSO could be helpful. Talking about the no-offer hasn't been fun, but it's better than not getting interviews.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 pm

My fucking man. Good shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:27 pm

When mass-mailing as a 3L, what is a good subject line?
Also, am I a 3L or a rising 3L? :(

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 pm

School starts in a couple of weeks. You can put 3L.

MG95

Postby MG95 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Last edited by MG95 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 pm

M_n_M wrote:Just found this. Definitely in the Vale. How do I get more credit cards to sustain me?

Mooch off gf?

MG95

Postby MG95 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Last edited by MG95 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:39 pm

M_n_M wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
M_n_M wrote:Just found this. Definitely in the Vale. How do I get more credit cards to sustain me?

Mooch off gf?

Already done that all summer and her parents are already getting sick of it. I need a cash flow fast.

Could try to get a job bartending or slinging lattes at night while you volunteer or look for work during the day

Return to “Legal Employment”