The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYstate

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby NYstate » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:25 pm

spleenworship wrote:Hey all. Applying for a job with a gov't department. They want all jobs for ten years. Earlier this summer I had a firm ask me to stay on in the Fall. I turned them down because they were absolutely AWFUL. So they asked me to leave.

How do I phrase that under "Reason For Leaving"?

Reason for leaving: returned to school?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:28 pm

NYstate wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Hey all. Applying for a job with a gov't department. They want all jobs for ten years. Earlier this summer I had a firm ask me to stay on in the Fall. I turned them down because they were absolutely AWFUL. So they asked me to leave.

How do I phrase that under "Reason For Leaving"?

Reason for leaving: returned to school?

Nah. It was from May through June.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:39 pm

I would put "Temporary Position" or similar. No need to put a reason.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:50 pm

kalvano wrote:I would put "Temporary Position" or similar. No need to put a reason.

Yeah

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:I would put "Temporary Position" or similar. No need to put a reason.

Yeah

Cool.

aliens

Postby aliens » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:37 am

adonai wrote:
iceman219 wrote:Great story. A lot of people will read your story and think "I don't have a prayer at a federal clerkship opportunity" or "I don't have a SO as a support mechanism if I'm unemployed" or whatever.

This. I sincerely congratulate you, but if you had a federal clerkship and couldn't get any bites, I don't know how that makes me feel. No federal judge would touch me with a 100 ft. pole based on my stats, not even in flyover country.

Don't sell yourself short. I have no idea what role the clerkship played in my getting the position. It may have mattered, it may not have. You will find the employer that you mesh with and it will work out.

buddingjd

Postby buddingjd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:10 am

NC Business Court posted on Symplicity looking for a 2 year clerk starting in 2014.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:47 am

Fuck Career Services. I've applied to over 50 positions on Symplicity and heard back from 3. I mean heard back in any way, from simply acknowledging an application to a rejection to any type of communication whatsoever. And Career Services thinks that following up with firms that list jobs is not a valuable use of their time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished an interview for a PI gig using my school's funded fellowship. So basically, if I get rejected, they will be telling me that it wasn't worth it to them to bring me on at 0 cost to themselves. That would be unpleasant.

Got the gig. Gonna take a breather for a minute, then I need to find some sort of job to occupy my time before the year is up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Question- anyone ever tried Hire Counsel and Whitman & Associates in Washington DC? Both contacted me asking for interviews. Yelp reviews seem mixed on them. They're temporary legal staffing companies. Am I wasting my time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:12 pm

So I'm an idiot and missed the deadline for one of the phases in our OCI. Is there any point in sending a letter directly to the State Attorney with application materials?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm an idiot and missed the deadline for one of the phases in our OCI. Is there any point in sending a letter directly to the State Attorney with application materials?

What else can you do?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just finished an interview for a PI gig using my school's funded fellowship. So basically, if I get rejected, they will be telling me that it wasn't worth it to them to bring me on at 0 cost to themselves. That would be unpleasant.

Got the gig. Gonna take a breather for a minute, then I need to find some sort of job to occupy my time before the year is up.

Grats on buying time!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Grats on buying time!

Thanks, thanks. I have a buddy who used the gig to transition to big law last year and I'll probably try to follow in his footsteps, but if I'm being honest, I'll take anything that allows me to service my loans and build some sort of skills.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:02 pm

So, I have an interview tomorrow in D.C - and the company is paying for me to go to D.C. But, there is also another organization that wants to interview me, provided they like the writing sample I just sent yesterday. How does one say... hey, I'll be in town tomorrow, would it be possible to interview me then, even though you may not want to interview me at all if you don't like my writing sample. Also, how should I schedule it time wise? I have no idea how long either interview could take.

Also, do I mention the other interview to the place I am asking? Does that make me a more or less desirable candidate?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:27 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:So, I have an interview tomorrow in D.C - and the company is paying for me to go to D.C. But, there is also another organization that wants to interview me, provided they like the writing sample I just sent yesterday. How does one say... hey, I'll be in town tomorrow, would it be possible to interview me then, even though you may not want to interview me at all if you don't like my writing sample. Also, how should I schedule it time wise? I have no idea how long either interview could take.

Also, do I mention the other interview to the place I am asking? Does that make me a more or less desirable candidate?

Mention it. The judge I externed for interviews people if they have another interview scheduled in the same courthouse. In general, I think it makes you look more desirable.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Update: the ticket I'm booked for has me in D.C. for only 3.5 hours. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in another interview (because I know there is a lunch involved), unless I can change the ticket. And, I'm not sure how I could do that on my credit card without them knowing. Sucks though, because the place I'm working for now would probably be pissed if I have to take another day off.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:48 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Update: the ticket I'm booked for has me in D.C. for only 3.5 hours. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in another interview (because I know there is a lunch involved), unless I can change the ticket. And, I'm not sure how I could do that on my credit card without them knowing. Sucks though, because the place I'm working for now would probably be pissed if I have to take another day off.

Can't you just ask the firm doing the interview to extend the ticket? They probably just picked the shortest amount of time, there is no reason you can't just ask for a couple more hours. If it costs more, offer to pay.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:54 pm

NYstate wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Update: the ticket I'm booked for has me in D.C. for only 3.5 hours. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in another interview (because I know there is a lunch involved), unless I can change the ticket. And, I'm not sure how I could do that on my credit card without them knowing. Sucks though, because the place I'm working for now would probably be pissed if I have to take another day off.

Can't you just ask the firm doing the interview to extend the ticket? They probably just picked the shortest amount of time, there is no reason you can't just ask for a couple more hours. If it costs more, offer to pay.

Well, first off it's a P.I. organization. But most importantly, the interviewer was very worried that I had any other possible opportunities, and I had to lie and assure him I didn't. So, I would have to come up with a convincing lie yet again, and I just don't want to bother him.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
NYstate wrote:

Well, first off it's a P.I. organization. But most importantly, the interviewer was very worried that I had any other possible opportunities, and I had to lie and assure him I didn't. So, I would have to come up with a convincing lie yet again, and I just don't want to bother him.

Makes sense. Fwiw: sounds like they are super-interested in hiring you. Good luck on the interview.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:04 pm

NYstate wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
NYstate wrote:

Makes sense. Fwiw: sounds like they are super-interested in hiring you. Good luck on the interview.

Yeah, I really hope so. He did say a few times that he got applications from lots of very qualified candidates, and I think he might be interviewing them, but he also told me repeatedly that he was very impressed with me (which is really nice to hear). Plus, the whole process is going kind of quickly, so I'm really hoping it pans out. It seems like a really unique and exciting opportunity. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Got a mail ding from Skadden if there are 3Ls that applied there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Anyone hear back from Littler? I interviewed with them about a week ago but forgot to ask about their timeline for 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from Littler? I interviewed with them about a week ago but forgot to ask about their timeline for 3Ls.

Which office?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:22 am

I can commiserate and am rooting for you all.

If it gives you any hope, I got my job offer the day after graduation.

Cyne

Postby Cyne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 am

To those recent success story posters, thanks! Good to hear positive outcomes from time to time, keeps the soul alive.

Return to “Legal Employment”