The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Finally off the vale! Federal district court judge in my state needed a law clerk immediately and I found out about the position through a judge I interned with 1L year. I graduated median with no law review from a T-50 law school.

I was getting rejection letters for staff attorney positions from medium and smaller sized firms that were paying less than $40K/year. Now I am clerking for a well-known federal judge. Not sure how things will be in a year from now, but hopefully the clerkship will give me a decent resume boost. Either way, things worked out after countless rejection emails, letters, or just plain silence. Looking back, had I gotten the staff attorney job, I would have missed out on a federal clerkship. You never know what kind of position opens up or when the stars finally align for you, but you gotta keep trying. Sorry for being corny, but I know how much it sucks being jobless, especially when your friends are getting really great law jobs with what seems like no effort.

Best of luck to everyone! To quote Dory: ""Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally off the vale! Federal district court judge in my state needed a law clerk immediately and I found out about the position through a judge I interned with 1L year. I graduated median with no law review from a T-50 law school.

I was getting rejection letters for staff attorney positions from medium and smaller sized firms that were paying less than $40K/year. Now I am clerking for a well-known federal judge. Not sure how things will be in a year from now, but hopefully the clerkship will give me a decent resume boost. Either way, things worked out after countless rejection emails, letters, or just plain silence. Looking back, had I gotten the staff attorney job, I would have missed out on a federal clerkship. You never know what kind of position opens up or when the stars finally align for you, but you gotta keep trying. Sorry for being corny, but I know how much it sucks being jobless, especially when your friends are getting really great law jobs with what seems like no effort.

Best of luck to everyone! To quote Dory: ""Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

That's great news bro; grats

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Friend of mine just got a $70K a year small-firm job. I applied to it as well. We have almost identical resumes, and I didn't even get an interview.

I like him a lot, but I also want to stab him in the eyes right now.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finally off the vale! Federal district court judge in my state needed a law clerk immediately and I found out about the position through a judge I interned with 1L year. I graduated median with no law review from a T-50 law school.

Congrats!!

I am doing clerkship applications right now (since my school finally uploaded my recommendation letters). This process takes SO long! I can't believe I've only done 10, and I can still so 90 more. It's a little sad to see all the ones that were sitting on my list and are filled since two weeks ago.

aliens

Postby aliens » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Congratulations!!!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 pm

JenDarby wrote:Congrats!!

I am doing clerkship applications right now (since my school finally uploaded my recommendation letters). This process takes SO long! I can't believe I've only done 10, and I can still so 90 more. It's a little sad to see all the ones that were sitting on my list and are filled since two weeks ago.

The clerkship application process is so daunting IMO. I'm not applying to any OSCAR ones, mostly because I'm late to the game and can't get LORs that quickly. A lot of state and appellate level ones just want a list of references though so that's nice.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm

chrisbru wrote:

The clerkship application process is so daunting IMO. I'm not applying to any OSCAR ones, mostly because I'm late to the game and can't get LORs that quickly. A lot of state and appellate level ones just want a list of references though so that's nice.

It's insanely daunting. I felt guilty asking these professors to upload these recommendations (before I found out my school had a centralized process). I asked for my recommendations a month ago and they're just now all completed and uploaded.

The main reason I am doing it is because I have a background in bankruptcy and would ideally want to clerk for a BK Judge (I've already externed for one).

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 pm

kalvano wrote:Friend of mine just got a $70K a year small-firm job. I applied to it as well. We have almost identical resumes, and I didn't even get an interview.

Did he have an inside connection that you don't have?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:46 pm

NYstate wrote:
kalvano wrote:Friend of mine just got a $70K a year small-firm job. I applied to it as well. We have almost identical resumes, and I didn't even get an interview.

Nope. Never even heard of the firm until it popped up on Symplicity.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 pm

kalvano wrote:
NYstate wrote:

Weird. Just luck I guess. I'm surprised you didn't get an interview if your resumes are so close, that's all.

buddingjd

Postby buddingjd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Emailing recruiters to ask if they are hiring 3Ls... attach a resume?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
NYstate wrote:

That blows bro.

190proof

Postby 190proof » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:27 pm

deebs wrote:Who can tell me how I should go about trying to swing my finance undergrad and JD to try and get a consulting position? Don't mean to sound like a douche, but should I be putting my 780 math SAT on my resume - I heard consulting firms care about that, but what do I know? Also, I know I'm not getting any tip of the top consulting firms, I was looking more at firms like Accenture/McGladrey. I've also been thinking of taking two community college classes so I would be CPA eligible.

My current plan is to get my linked in up date and start finding recruiters on there and messaging them. I've tried calling and e-mailing, but that got me like one returned call saying they don't want recent JD's for their tax consulting at one of the big four.

Don't include the SAT score. That is a douche move.
Do the CPA courses, it has far more potential than the JD.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:33 pm

JenDarby wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

It's insanely daunting. I felt guilty asking these professors to upload these recommendations (before I found out my school had a centralized process). I asked for my recommendations a month ago and they're just now all completed and uploaded.

The main reason I am doing it is because I have a background in bankruptcy and would ideally want to clerk for a BK Judge (I've already externed for one).

A new bankruptcy law judge was appointed in case you don't mind living in Las Vegas. Here is the job posting as it is not on OSCAR:
The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nevada, has an opening for aTerm Law Clerk. This is a full-time position. This position is located in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Law Clerk to a U.S. Bankruptcy Judge - Salary $57,408 to $81,823 (JSP 11 - 13) DOE. Duties include but are not limited to: Performs legal research, drafts memoranda, orders and other writings and coordinates settlement conferences.

Qualifications: Applicants must be graduates of an accredited law school. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, superior writing and research skills, and the ability to analyze complex legal questions. Experience with Westlaw, Bar membership and one year of legal work experience is preferred.

How To Apply: To apply: Submit a detailed resume, cover letter and writing sample to:

Human Resources Department U.S. Bankruptcy Court 300 Las Vegas Blvd., South Las Vegas, NV 89101

The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nevada is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position requires mandatory electronic fund transfer for payment of net pay and a background check including fingerprinting.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:36 pm

legalese_retard wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

A new bankruptcy law judge was appointed in case you don't mind living in Las Vegas. Here is the job posting as it is not on OSCAR:
The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nevada, has an opening for aTerm Law Clerk. This is a full-time position. This position is located in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Law Clerk to a U.S. Bankruptcy Judge - Salary $57,408 to $81,823 (JSP 11 - 13) DOE. Duties include but are not limited to: Performs legal research, drafts memoranda, orders and other writings and coordinates settlement conferences.

Qualifications: Applicants must be graduates of an accredited law school. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, superior writing and research skills, and the ability to analyze complex legal questions. Experience with Westlaw, Bar membership and one year of legal work experience is preferred.

How To Apply: To apply: Submit a detailed resume, cover letter and writing sample to:

Human Resources Department U.S. Bankruptcy Court 300 Las Vegas Blvd., South Las Vegas, NV 89101

The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nevada is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position requires mandatory electronic fund transfer for payment of net pay and a background check including fingerprinting.

Oh and here is a job announcement for Tampa: --LinkRemoved--

190proof

Postby 190proof » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I get it, but it's not about ego. I really find it offensive when people assume that someone who graduated law school has an entitlement mentality just because that person wants a decent paying job out of school. Let's just be clear. This was THREE years of my life. And over 100k in loans. I can't afford to take a $10/hr job. It makes no sense.

There was plenty of info out there, around the 2009 time frame, that law school doesn't make financial sense for most people.
I am not trying to be mean or anything, but your situation is not exactly unique. In the past few years, it is estimated that only about 50% of JD grads will ever get a job that actually requires a JD. The rest just fall through the cracks and end up in another career, doing hourly retail or working in a bar/restaurant.

I fell through the cracks and never got a law job requiring a JD. It sucked for a while. Then I hooked up with a friend who had a solid startup business and now I am doing ok. It is not the end of the world to fail to get a job as a lawyer. In fact, many would say that you were lucky that you avoided having to be a lawyer. Most hate the job.

Anonymous User wrote:There must be some benefit for taking this JD in the form of a higher salary. If I wanted a $10/hr job I could just have done that for three years instead of going to law school. I can't work for that kind of salary anymore, it's over, I have done every job like that you can imagine for nearly 10 years, it is time to move on for me.

You just nailed the reason why a JD doesn't make sense. The world has changed and a JD is no longer an automatic ticket into the middle class. For many law grads, it is a ticket to debt slavery that cannot be discharged in BK.

190proof

Postby 190proof » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Jessuf wrote:I have never worked on the Hill before, but I did public relations before law school and also have a useless MA in public relations. Is it super hard to break into lobbying? What about just getting a low paying job on the Hill? I'm not sure how to get these jobs or where to find them.

Volunteer on the campaign of an open seat for a candidate who looks likely to win. Then try to get onto the paid staff.
Do that for a few years, then you would have a shot at lobbying.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 pm

190proof wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get it, but it's not about ego. I really find it offensive when people assume that someone who graduated law school has an entitlement mentality just because that person wants a decent paying job out of school. Let's just be clear. This was THREE years of my life. And over 100k in loans. I can't afford to take a $10/hr job. It makes no sense.

There was plenty of info out there, around the 2009 time frame, that law school doesn't make financial sense for most people.
I am not trying to be mean or anything, but your situation is not exactly unique. In the past few years, it is estimated that only about 50% of JD grads will ever get a job that actually requires a JD. The rest just fall through the cracks and end up in another career, doing hourly retail or working in a bar/restaurant.

I fell through the cracks and never got a law job requiring a JD. It sucked for a while. Then I hooked up with a friend who had a solid startup business and now I am doing ok. It is not the end of the world to fail to get a job as a lawyer. In fact, many would say that you were lucky that you avoided having to be a lawyer. Most hate the job.

Anonymous User wrote:There must be some benefit for taking this JD in the form of a higher salary. If I wanted a $10/hr job I could just have done that for three years instead of going to law school. I can't work for that kind of salary anymore, it's over, I have done every job like that you can imagine for nearly 10 years, it is time to move on for me.

You just nailed the reason why a JD doesn't make sense. The world has changed and a JD is no longer an automatic ticket into the middle class. For many law grads, it is a ticket to debt slavery that cannot be discharged in BK.

Don't you think it's pathetic that you keep coming back with alt after alt

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I have never worked on the Hill before, but I did public relations before law school and also have a useless MA in public relations. Is it super hard to break into lobbying? What about just getting a low paying job on the Hill? I'm not sure how to get these jobs or where to find them.

A buddy of mine was trying to get into this straight out

She says they invariably want previous legal experience

Which I guess makes sense

You could probably swing an unpaid internship working on a campaign or for a congressbro, but you won't eat

190proof wrote:

Volunteer on the campaign of an open seat for a candidate who looks likely to win. Then try to get onto the paid staff.

I have an interview to work for a lobbying firm part-time during 3L year. Pays pretty well. They are looking for law students who are ex-staffers, but whatever - they invited me for an interview, so I will research Sunday about lobbying stuff and what's going on in Congress ATM. Maybe I can get an in with something post-grad, whether with them or another organization.

Given that 3LOLCI is non-existent at my school, I don't have the grades for gov't jobs, and law firms never call me, I figure I will start adding in non-lawyer jobs to my app process now instead of waiting until next summer.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Jessuf wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

You could probably swing an unpaid internship working on a campaign or for a congressbro, but you won't eat

190proof wrote:

I have an interview to work for a lobbying firm part-time during 3L year. Pays pretty well. They are looking for law students who are ex-staffers, but whatever - they invited me for an interview, so I will research Sunday about lobbying stuff and what's going on in Congress ATM. Maybe I can get an in with something post-grad, whether with them or another organization.

Given that 3LOLCI is non-existent at my school, I don't have the grades for gov't jobs, and law firms never call me, I figure I will start adding in non-lawyer jobs to my app process now instead of waiting until next summer.

If it helps, I have a friend who got a job doing state lobbying. It pays well enough during sessions that he considered not taking the bar at all.

NYstate

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)t

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:30 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

190proof wrote:

If it helps, I have a friend who got a job doing state lobbying. It pays well enough during sessions that he considered not taking the bar at all.

Specific example:

Some family friends are heavily into animal rights in Connecticut. They have a very small lobbying consortium called Connecticut votes for animals. Their tiny group pays a lobbyist $1500- $2000 a month just to monitor bills and pending legislation for them. If they want to get a bill proposed or have him advocate for them it costs more. Needless to say, there isn't much specific legislation regarding animals compared to something like gun violence.

That lobbyist has to be raking it in if he can charge a group that requires very little work a $1500 a month retainer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:34 am

Question: Can I work doc review before passing the bar, and if so, how do I find a job like that in the Washington DC area?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
deebs wrote:Who can tell me how I should go about trying to swing my finance undergrad and JD to try and get a consulting position? Don't mean to sound like a douche, but should I be putting my 780 math SAT on my resume - I heard consulting firms care about that, but what do I know? Also, I know I'm not getting any tip of the top consulting firms, I was looking more at firms like Accenture/McGladrey. I've also been thinking of taking two community college classes so I would be CPA eligible.

My current plan is to get my linked in up date and start finding recruiters on there and messaging them. I've tried calling and e-mailing, but that got me like one returned call saying they don't want recent JD's for their tax consulting at one of the big four.

Don't put your SAT on your résumé. They don't care how good at math you were at basic math when you were 16. A CPA will definitely make you more marketable. I worked at a small consulting firm, and networking is going to be your best bet at most of those places.

Going through the consulting recruitment process now and this is 100% wrong for major firms. Put any standardized test score you have that is impressive (including LSAT 170+). They care about "raw" intelligence and analytical abilities.

Hi there,

I'm also going through the consulting recruitment process for MBB this fall-- do you have an account where I can pm you? I don't know of any other law students going through the process, and would love to confer with you. I'm at a t10. Thanks!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: Can I work doc review before passing the bar, and if so, how do I find a job like that in the Washington DC area?

Hire Counsel
Offices throughout the U.S.
Washington, D.C.
901 L St., N.W., 3rd Floor
Suite 350
Washington, DC 20036
202-742-1022 (phone)
202-315-0516 (fax)
DC@hirecounsel.com

Kelly Law Registry
Locations throughout the U.S.
http://www.kellyservices.us

Legal Placements, Inc.
Other offices in New York and Washington, D.C.
http://www.legalplacements.com

Northern Virginia
8300 Greensboro Drive
8th Floor
McLean, VA 22102-3605
703-917-1829 (phone)
202-821-4709 (fax)

Contract and Direct Hire
Joanna Davis Joanna@legalplacements.com
Miana Ford mianna@legalplacements.com
Emily Fabian Emilty@legalplacements.com

Update Legal
Offices in Los Angeles, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.
http://www.updatelegal.com

Return to “Legal Employment”