The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:18 am

rad lulz wrote:You can't possibly pursue leads in every single area (what with school and all) so I don't think that's bad. Especially in areas you have no experience. For example, I didn't apply for a lot of the govt. honors shit. I couldn't make a convincing lie about HUD if my life depended on it.

it's for the best. my resume is really gov't centric (and I'd be perfectly happy to work at HUD, tbh, if it meant a GS-11 salary, no crazy hours, gov't health benefits, and loan forgiveness), and I'm convinced that all gov't honors programs are elaborate flame. They don't even acknowledge that you exist or applied and then only hire 2 people in the entire country.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Set up interview w PD in home market. Would be solid to get DAT trial exp. and PSLF eligibility.

Grats brah. Perhaps I'm being overly selective, but I refuse to have anything to do with criminal law.

Grabbed a part time gig for the school year helping a small firm with alternative fund formation (hedge fund, incubator, SPE, that kind of stuff). Pay should be pretty solid and give me something interesting to talk about during interviews.

I gotta start scoping that state civil lit type shit.

You can't possibly pursue leads in every single area (what with school and all) so I don't think that's bad. Especially in areas you have no experience. For example, I didn't apply for a lot of the govt. honors shit. I couldn't make a convincing lie about HUD if my life depended on it.

Grats on the part-time jerb bro. Sounds like good experience. What do you mean by "state civil lit?"

Brother,
I 100% agree. One can only have so many narratives. I would get laughed out of an interview if I tried to do anything related to PI or crim stuff. When I said "state civil lit" I meant the civil divisions of stuff like the state AG office.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:28 pm

If I was going to go crim it would be PD all the way. I might not love a lot of my clients, but at least I'd like most of my co-workers. A lot of the people who get into prosecution are just the worst.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

This thread must not leave the front page; it must stand as a terrible monument.

Found myself getting pissy at my parents this weekend. I know they're trying to be helpful when they give advice, but it takes every fiber of my being not to tell them they have no fucking idea what they're talking about. Transcript of a weekly conversation that I have with them:

Parent: I just find it hard to believe that EVERY large firm has finished their hiring already.
Me: Yeah, well, they have. There are a few that look at 3Ls, but 99.5% fill up through their summer class.
Parent: Are you sure? That doesn't seem right.
Me: Yes, I'm sure.
Parent: Have you talked to alumni/career services to see if there are things you should be doing/applying to?
Me: Yes, they say I'm a model student in that respect.
Parent: *launches into monologue about how a law degree is useful for lots of things*
Me: Yeah, that's a possibility down the line, while I think "none of what you just said is actually true."
Parent: Have you heard from *potential employer*?
Me: No
Parent: did you call them?
Me: Yes
Parent: Oh, it's strange they're taking so long to get back to you.
Me: *changes subject*

It never gets old...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Omerta wrote:This thread must not leave the front page; it must stand as a terrible monument.

Found myself getting pissy at my parents this weekend. I know they're trying to be helpful when they give advice, but it takes every fiber of my being not to tell them they have no fucking idea what they're talking about. Transcript of a weekly conversation that I have with them:

Parent: I just find it hard to believe that EVERY large firm has finished their hiring already.
Me: Yeah, well, they have. There are a few that look at 3Ls, but 99.5% fill up through their summer class.
Parent: Have you talked to alumni/career services to see if there are things you should be doing/applying to?
Parent: *launches into monologue about how a law degree is useful for lots of things*
Me: Yeah, that's a possibility down the line, while I think "none of what you just said is actually true."

It never gets old...

Be patient with them my friend. Most people have no clue about legal recruiting unless they have personally gone through the process.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 pm

My parents both still believe if I "try hard enough" I will land a 6 figure firm job by graduation and anything short of that means I didn't put in the effort. Well, 230 apps out that lead to a grand total of ONE interview says different, but I can't change their mind on the subject.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:25 am

My dad offered to be "of counsel" if I get nothing and have to open shop with friends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:00 am

kalvano wrote:My dad offered to be "of counsel" if I get nothing and have to open shop with friends.

Let's do it mang.

Edit: whoops this is R. Lulz.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:My dad offered to be "of counsel" if I get nothing and have to open shop with friends.

Let's do it mang.

Edit: whoops this is R. Lulz.

The thought actually appeals to me, if for no other reason than not having to drive to Dallas every day for work. I could work in my nice little area.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 am

I think it is a little premature to go overboard. Though gloomy, I don't think it is practical to consider death com 3 options until after February/march.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Yo when is it a good time to check back with firms if they say they'll "keep you resume on file"? I emailed a bunch a firms a while back in August/September and am wondering if now would be a good time to follow up (assuming all the 2L SA's already accepted/rejected their offers by now), or should I just wait until after the 1st of the year or so??

Or is getting a job if your resume's on file just false hope at this point more than likely....

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm

I am a clerk, but in kind of a similar situation as y'all 3Ls. I have a few apps out and have had 2 interviews, both of which went well but ended with "It's just tough to know now what our needs are going to be next August, but we'll keep you in mind." It seems like TCR right now, honestly, is just to chill out and resume worrying about this come January or February when people hopefully have a better idea of what their needs are going to be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm

SBL wrote:I am a clerk, but in kind of a similar situation as y'all 3Ls. I have a few apps out and have had 2 interviews, both of which went well but ended with "It's just tough to know now what our needs are going to be next August, but we'll keep you in mind." It seems like TCR right now, honestly, is just to chill out and resume worrying about this come January or February when people hopefully have a better idea of what their needs are going to be.

Where are you clerking? Did you have 2L SA?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:I am a clerk, but in kind of a similar situation as y'all 3Ls. I have a few apps out and have had 2 interviews, both of which went well but ended with "It's just tough to know now what our needs are going to be next August, but we'll keep you in mind." It seems like TCR right now, honestly, is just to chill out and resume worrying about this come January or February when people hopefully have a better idea of what their needs are going to be.

Where are you clerking? Did you have 2L SA?

Federal court, beyond that I'd rather not say, and yeah.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Omerta wrote:This thread must not leave the front page; it must stand as a terrible monument.

It never gets old...

I feel like I need to show this post to my mother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Yet another afternoon where I drink alone after class. Enough to take the edge off, but not enough to interfere with trying to apply for some jobs or attempting to do classes (which I took because they were relevant to the firm I got no offered from). Regular occurrence these days.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:38 pm

I emailed my summer firm today and was all like "Yo bitch, get your shit together and let me know about a job offer right the hell now! You dig, you sonofabitch, wasting my valuable time?!"*

*It may or may not be a direct quote. The actual quote may be something more like "Please sir, may I have a job?"

Postby 20160810 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 am

kalvano wrote:I emailed my summer firm today and was all like "Yo bitch, get your shit together and let me know about a job offer right the hell now! You dig, you sonofabitch, wasting my valuable time?!"*

*It may or may not be a direct quote. The actual quote may be something more like "Please sir, may I have a job?"

Offer them handies bro

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 am

In case this might be of help. A friend just received a CB from Foley in Florida (I believe they are a V50). She cannot accept because a month ago she accepted a SA spot in NY. No idea why some firms wait so long before responding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 am

Renne Walker wrote:In case this might be of help. A friend just received a CB from Foley in Florida (I believe they are a V50). She cannot accept because a month ago she accepted a SA spot in NY. No idea why some firms wait so long before responding.

thanks but this is the thread where 3Ls come to die, not for 2L SAs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:33 am

Not dead yet, just trying to claw out of the quick sand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 am

Anyone else can't concentrate on the election today? Neither of these candidates have a decent plan for student debt and student loans. I can't even really begin to ponder the other issues while I'm unemployed. My only goal for today is not to drink alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else can't concentrate on the election today? Neither of these candidates have a decent plan for student debt and student loans. I can't even really begin to ponder the other issues while I'm unemployed. My only goal for today is not to drink alone.

It's early afternoon and I've already failed. These steady winter-esque days are getting to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else can't concentrate on the election today? Neither of these candidates have a decent plan for student debt and student loans. I can't even really begin to ponder the other issues while I'm unemployed. My only goal for today is not to drink alone.

IBR it for the 20 or 25 years, whichever you qualify for. If they get rid of IBR for people who have already been on it, then all other shit will have hit the fan as well. I'd qualify for the 10% for 20 years if I didn't still have 11k left on an UG loan (you need at least one loan in 2012, and none before 2008 to qualify for the 10% for 20). If I can somehow get rid of that loan and qualify for the 20 years at 10%, I will probably pay less overall than the principal I'll owe at graduation, but with the tax on debt forgiveness, slightly more. It would still be less than if I paid it off in 10 years.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Fuuuucccckkkkkkkkkkkk.

No answer until next week. I hate law firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”