The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aliens
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby aliens » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't have money though. And nothing but a steady job will work because I have a lot of expenses including credit card debt I racked up over the summer to keep myself eating food. My dad sent me some money now but he said he can't send anymore. I have just enough to get through August. Maybe September. I know it sucks but I decided if I can't find a job by the end of August I'm going to have to commit suicide. I don't know any other way out. All those jobs you just listed, I don't even know if I'm qualified for any of them, and for the ones that I might be, they wouldn't nearly cover living expenses in this city, even if I shared a closet with 20 other people.

I'm going to be hustling like crazy this month to get something, it's my only chance


You need to talk to someone about how you're feeling. Go to a counselor, a friend, your dad, a neighbor, PM someone on here (I will absolutely talk with you and so many others will too), whoever you trust. We have all down moments but we will survive. There is public assistance, bankruptcy, whatever, to get by until you find a job. Plus you can always work retail. While not ideal, it will pay at least for food and a roof.

You are more important, and defined by more, than a job or how much money you make or have. You have value in simply being alive. Please seek help so you realize that and see your value.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:57 pm

1). No one without a terminal disease should consider suicide, so poster talking about it, please get help.

2). Now that I don't have a permanent position after graduation and I'll be a 3L in two weeks, can I start joining in in this thread?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:01 pm

spleenworship wrote:1). No one without a terminal disease should consider suicide, so poster talking about it, please get help.

2). Now that I don't have a permanent position after graduation and I'll be a 3L in two weeks, can I start joining in in this thread?

Welcome

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
spleenworship wrote:1). No one without a terminal disease should consider suicide, so poster talking about it, please get help.

2). Now that I don't have a permanent position after graduation and I'll be a 3L in two weeks, can I start joining in in this thread?

Welcome



Yay. Nothing personal, but I'm not super happy to be actually posting in here and not just lurking hoping this wouldn't be me.

se7en
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby se7en » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't have money though. And nothing but a steady job will work because I have a lot of expenses including credit card debt I racked up over the summer to keep myself eating food. My dad sent me some money now but he said he can't send anymore. I have just enough to get through August. Maybe September. I know it sucks but I decided if I can't find a job by the end of August I'm going to have to commit suicide. I don't know any other way out. All those jobs you just listed, I don't even know if I'm qualified for any of them, and for the ones that I might be, they wouldn't nearly cover living expenses in this city, even if I shared a closet with 20 other people.

I'm going to be hustling like crazy this month to get something, it's my only chance


If you want to talk about hustling, motivation, and making some cash pm me. it sucks to be in the hole you are in, but you can get out of it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Holy shit 3L lolci sucks... 0 firm interviews, 4 government interviews..

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12506
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby jessuf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:52 pm

I have no bites for clerkships or post-grad law jobs yet, but I have two interviews next week for PT school year work for two mid law firms in the area. If I get one, I hope it will help beef up my resume and help me appear more attractive to firms.

ETA: Also, there are maybe 30 firms that are interviewing 3Ls at my school, and I got 0 interviews through the lottery. Did I already post this? lol at me

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cinephile » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:53 pm

se7en wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't have money though. And nothing but a steady job will work because I have a lot of expenses including credit card debt I racked up over the summer to keep myself eating food. My dad sent me some money now but he said he can't send anymore. I have just enough to get through August. Maybe September. I know it sucks but I decided if I can't find a job by the end of August I'm going to have to commit suicide. I don't know any other way out. All those jobs you just listed, I don't even know if I'm qualified for any of them, and for the ones that I might be, they wouldn't nearly cover living expenses in this city, even if I shared a closet with 20 other people.

I'm going to be hustling like crazy this month to get something, it's my only chance


If you want to talk about hustling, motivation, and making some cash pm me. it sucks to be in the hole you are in, but you can get out of it.


Also, consider participating in medical/psych/sleep studies. That's how I've been financing my unpaid summer. I'd probably avoid any of the studies that want to give you experimental medication, but there are tons of psych studies looking for people with anxiety/depression or even just normal controls to test out non-medical treatment options, like the effects of yoga on stress (I'm getting paid $500 for this and getting free yoga classes). Or studies where they just want to get an MRI of your brain while you're completing various tasks - you normally get like $100 for an hour or two in the machine. Not too bad if you can do enough of these on the side.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:26 pm

cinephile wrote:Also, consider participating in medical/psych/sleep studies. That's how I've been financing my unpaid summer. I'd probably avoid any of the studies that want to give you experimental medication, but there are tons of psych studies looking for people with anxiety/depression or even just normal controls to test out non-medical treatment options, like the effects of yoga on stress (I'm getting paid $500 for this and getting free yoga classes). Or studies where they just want to get an MRI of your brain while you're completing various tasks - you normally get like $100 for an hour or two in the machine. Not too bad if you can do enough of these on the side.


How do you go about finding these opportunities?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:35 pm

^ Yeah how?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby cinephile » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:54 pm

chrisbru wrote:
cinephile wrote:Also, consider participating in medical/psych/sleep studies. That's how I've been financing my unpaid summer. I'd probably avoid any of the studies that want to give you experimental medication, but there are tons of psych studies looking for people with anxiety/depression or even just normal controls to test out non-medical treatment options, like the effects of yoga on stress (I'm getting paid $500 for this and getting free yoga classes). Or studies where they just want to get an MRI of your brain while you're completing various tasks - you normally get like $100 for an hour or two in the machine. Not too bad if you can do enough of these on the side.


How do you go about finding these opportunities?


Once you participate in one study, they normally ask if you'd like to be considered for others and then you get put on a listserv and contacted with other trials being run out of the same school/hospital. But also just check with your local med schools (or any school with a psych program) and hospitals, like check their websites and see what clinical trials they're running. It's a lot easier for me living in Boston because Harvard is always doing studies and they compensate participants pretty well, but you can check for similar possibilities where you live too. Even if you don't qualify, just call them up and ask if they're looking for any controls for this project.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby spleenworship » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Jessuf wrote:I have no bites for clerkships or post-grad law jobs yet, but I have two interviews next week for PT school year work for two mid law firms in the area. If I get one, I hope it will help beef up my resume and help me appear more attractive to firms.

ETA: Also, there are maybe 30 firms that are interviewing 3Ls at my school, and I got 0 interviews through the lottery. Did I already post this? lol at me


There are less than 20 firms or gov't agencies interviewing 3Ls at my school for full time paid post-grad applications. Of those, only 10 did I qualify to apply for or I could I stand to work for.

Our lottery happens next week. Time for BOOTSTRAPS and NETWORKING! :cry:

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby NYstate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Jessuf wrote:I have no bites for clerkships or post-grad law jobs yet, but I have two interviews next week for PT school year work for two mid law firms in the area. If I get one, I hope it will help beef up my resume and help me appear more attractive to firms.

ETA: Also, there are maybe 30 firms that are interviewing 3Ls at my school, and I got 0 interviews through the lottery. Did I already post this? lol at me

Good luck with the interviews.

Maybe you can pick up some OCI interviews. I don't know how it works at your school . 3L OCI is mostly a flame- but get interviews if you can.

Edit to add: how does a lottery give you zero results? Can career services help you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:10 am

Well I decided to throw myself at the mercy of my favorite firm. I've been waiting for a response from an interview for a few weeks now. I got another offer from a firm last yesterday but it's not what I want. So yesterday I sent an e-mail to my favorite firm telling them about the other offer and that they are my first choice. I was really candid and I'm hoping it will spark them to give me an offer if they are planning to do so. The time frame is short (by Monday). Even if it's a no, at least I'll know either way.

Cyne
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:55 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Cyne » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:13 am

.
Last edited by Cyne on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:41 am

So a firm who I'm interviewing with for 3L OCI is having a roundtable in my home city when I'll be there. It is supposed to be for 2Ls but I figured since I'll be there anyway I'll ask if i can go. The Recruiting coordinator said it was normally for 2Ls but i could come. Should I go? Could it be seen as weird to my future interviewers that a 3L showed up to a 2L event?

aliens
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby aliens » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:12 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:So a firm who I'm interviewing with for 3L OCI is having a roundtable in my home city when I'll be there. It is supposed to be for 2Ls but I figured since I'll be there anyway I'll ask if i can go. The Recruiting coordinator said it was normally for 2Ls but i could come. Should I go? Could it be seen as weird to my future interviewers that a 3L showed up to a 2L event?


I would go and see who you meet and what you can find out. It can never hurt to be interested in the firm.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby NYstate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Cyne wrote:So after lurking about in the Vale for a month, I thought I'd say hi. Not thrilled to be here, but who is?

TT top 25%. Had a gig lined up that got revoked in the spring for matters beyond the firm's control (not their finances). Managed to line up a small firm arrangement over the summer...but with the TT status and my rank, I am feeling a bit hopeless these days. Given the small firm I worked at will not be hiring I am not sure what to do. I guess I should count myself lucky I am fluent in Mandarin (written and spoken). Maybe I'll take the foreign service exam.

I know going to a TT was a mistake...but here I am. Hope nobody holds that past mistake against me.


No one holds anything against anyone. Don't blame yourself for stuff you can't change.

Working is a good idea even if the firm isn't hiring.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby NYstate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:12 pm

aliens wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:So a firm who I'm interviewing with for 3L OCI is having a roundtable in my home city when I'll be there. It is supposed to be for 2Ls but I figured since I'll be there anyway I'll ask if i can go. The Recruiting coordinator said it was normally for 2Ls but i could come. Should I go? Could it be seen as weird to my future interviewers that a 3L showed up to a 2L event?


I would go and see who you meet and what you can find out. It can never hurt to be interested in the firm.


If you talked to the recruiting coordinator at the firm, you should definitely go. Try to talk with some of the attorneys at the event. Showing interest is a good idea. I bet you are the only 3 L who is going.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:17 pm

NYstate wrote:
aliens wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:So a firm who I'm interviewing with for 3L OCI is having a roundtable in my home city when I'll be there. It is supposed to be for 2Ls but I figured since I'll be there anyway I'll ask if i can go. The Recruiting coordinator said it was normally for 2Ls but i could come. Should I go? Could it be seen as weird to my future interviewers that a 3L showed up to a 2L event?


I would go and see who you meet and what you can find out. It can never hurt to be interested in the firm.


If you talked to the recruiting coordinator at the firm, you should definitely go. Try to talk with some of the attorneys at the event. Showing interest is a good idea. I bet you are the only 3 L who is going.

Yeah this

Don't you have a job though?

Cyne
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:55 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Cyne » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:51 pm

NYstate wrote:
Cyne wrote:So after lurking about in the Vale for a month, I thought I'd say hi. Not thrilled to be here, but who is?

TT top 25%. Had a gig lined up that got revoked in the spring for matters beyond the firm's control (not their finances). Managed to line up a small firm arrangement over the summer...but with the TT status and my rank, I am feeling a bit hopeless these days. Given the small firm I worked at will not be hiring I am not sure what to do. I guess I should count myself lucky I am fluent in Mandarin (written and spoken). Maybe I'll take the foreign service exam.

I know going to a TT was a mistake...but here I am. Hope nobody holds that past mistake against me.


No one holds anything against anyone. Don't blame yourself for stuff you can't change.

Working is a good idea even if the firm isn't hiring.


They are in a tough spot. I am hoping to turn the situation around soon. I've got about 5-10 potential clients in the works I netted with my Mandarin. I have a background in sales, and can swing it in different cultures. If I can show them I can make rain, maybe they'll change their minds.

Thanks for the understanding, it's good to hear :). I just keep asking myself what if. I hit a 163 on the LSAT with minimal preparation and was planning to retake, but personal issues came up and I had to get back to the States. I cannot elaborate how much I wish I only had another three months of breathing room/a separate market. Been struggling with suicide for the better part of the year. Jobless, SO died, and really just not seeing a future on the horizon.

Thank God for my father. We went through some shit together, and he helps me keep my shit together.

On a side note, if I net this firm clients and they do not hire me I swear to God I will rip those clients away and start my own fucking firm. I am feeling unusually bitter and competitive these days. My "fuck you" impulse overrides the "end life" impulse by a mile.


User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Super amazing update: still no job. Yay me.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:Super amazing update: still no job. Yay me.

You end up skipping the bar?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:54 pm

My family, and how devastated they would be from my suicide, is pretty much the only thing keeping me alive at this point. I'm living for them, not for myself. :|

I keep on thinking what could I have done differently in the past so that I wouldn't have gotten into this mess? (besides, you know, not going to law school in the first place!) These nagging "what if's" just can't leave me the fuck alone.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.