The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Spoke to CSO a few days ago about the 3L job search and the counselor was like, have you looked at alum's profiles on linkedin? Maybe you can start cold-emailing alums. And I'm like, thanks for that excellent advice that I would have never figured out on my own. And he's like, what exactly do you want from me? I don't have any more resources than you do for finding a job. And I'm thinking, then what exactly are you paid to do?

This is exactly why I've decided to stop dealing with them.

I asked for a list of alumni in one of the bigger markets near my school that we place a lot of people in. You'd think that CSO would want to keep a good database of alumni in different markets, right? I got a list of 8 alumni. Seriously? I know there are a fuckton more than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Spoke to CSO a few days ago about the 3L job search and the counselor was like, have you looked at alum's profiles on linkedin? Maybe you can start cold-emailing alums. And I'm like, thanks for that excellent advice that I would have never figured out on my own. And he's like, what exactly do you want from me? I don't have any more resources than you do for finding a job. And I'm thinking, then what exactly are you paid to do?

I asked for a list of alumni in one of the bigger markets near my school that we place a lot of people in. You'd think that CSO would want to keep a good database of alumni in different markets, right? I got a list of 8 alumni. Seriously? I know there are a fuckton more than that.

I should have given up when they told me in a mock interview to answer using the IRAC method, which made me sound even more like a robot than I already did.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I should have given up when they told me in a mock interview to answer using the IRAC method, which made me sound even more like a robot than I already did.

Dear god I hope you're kidding...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I should have given up when they told me in a mock interview to answer using the IRAC method, which made me sound even more like a robot than I already did.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I am always supernice to them. My advisor is incompetent at her job, but I feel that getting angry/frustrated at her, will just affect me more negatively in other aspects of my life. So now I usually visit her every 3-6 months depending on time of year, smile, listen to her, and then adopt none of her pretty bad advice.
To give you a clue how bad CSO advisers (had more than one) can be, I was advised in August after 2L OCI not to mass mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm

This is awful, but sometimes I just go into the CSO when I'm feeling bad because I want to pick a fight with someone and scream at them about how incompetent they are. Of course, this could have negative consequences for me, but I doubt it because I only started doing so after I realized they couldn't offer me any substantive advice (and post 2L OCI). So, their usefulness in career advising is over, but they are still an outlet for my rage. I really need that outlet and they need to earn their income by dealing with difficult students. Really, I'm just helping them build their people-skills, they ought to be thanking me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I should have given up when they told me in a mock interview to answer using the IRAC method, which made me sound even more like a robot than I already did.

Dear god I hope you're kidding...

I wish. The CSO was adamant that this was what I should have done all along.

There were also no bidding suggestions before OCI even though they knew I bid way too liberally and should have focused on my home market. There was also not telling me when firms called looking for people, but telling me to apply to jobs where I wouldn't get paid and wouldn't get public interest funding from the school. Ugh. I hate them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 pm

Posted a while ago about a potential job in Vegas, which I just got called back from today with a rejection. They were at least nice about it w/ praise and will keep my resume, but now I have nothing in the pipeline, and questioning whether I have much to live for either. I've been pretty much been abandoned by my peers who all are working in biglaw and my school. I've been in therapy for a long time, and I'm questioning the utility of it since all it seems to have done is made me a well-adjusted failure rather than a suicidal failure, which I feel myself falling back into. I really don't know what to do anymore. Passing the bar didn't improve anything, and the current place I am interning at treats me horribly with no chance of a future job offer. And everytime I read the news or ATL, it just seems the job market is getting worse and there is less and less hope for people like me.

aliens

Postby aliens » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Posted a while ago about a potential job in Vegas, which I just got called back from today with a rejection. They were at least nice about it w/ praise and will keep my resume, but now I have nothing in the pipeline, and questioning whether I have much to live for either. I've been pretty much been abandoned by my peers who all are working in biglaw and my school. I've been in therapy for a long time, and I'm questioning the utility of it since all it seems to have done is made me a well-adjusted failure rather than a suicidal failure, which I feel myself falling back into. I really don't know what to do anymore. Passing the bar didn't improve anything, and the current place I am interning at treats me horribly with no chance of a future job offer. And everytime I read the news or ATL, it just seems the job market is getting worse and there is less and less hope for people like me.

You have so much more to live for than your success or failure in law or at any job. That stinks about the job rejection. But you can keep moving forward. We are all here to help you and know how you feel. Keep checking in here for support and PM me if you need to talk privately.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I treated mine like a designated complainee

She was a good person

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 pm

You are such a fucking asshole

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Bad troll is bad. Mods, IP ban or something?

Your shtick can be fun to read on ATL or some other medium, but too many users ITT are legit with their concerns.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 pm

Really created another account to go back and use sunk cost incorrectly in the same shitty joke again? SOLID dedication.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Posted a while ago about a potential job in Vegas, which I just got called back from today with a rejection. They were at least nice about it w/ praise and will keep my resume, but now I have nothing in the pipeline, and questioning whether I have much to live for either. I've been pretty much been abandoned by my peers who all are working in biglaw and my school. I've been in therapy for a long time, and I'm questioning the utility of it since all it seems to have done is made me a well-adjusted failure rather than a suicidal failure, which I feel myself falling back into. I really don't know what to do anymore. Passing the bar didn't improve anything, and the current place I am interning at treats me horribly with no chance of a future job offer. And everytime I read the news or ATL, it just seems the job market is getting worse and there is less and less hope for people like me.

I said this before but dying over a job is simply not worth it. You have good things that will happen in your life. Don't give up on them. Don't give up on yourself. Yes this is really hard. No one is saying it is easy. But you have to persevere.

Not getting a job does not make you a failure. It means there aren't enough jobs. Don't take it all on yourself.

I am really glad you are in therapy. Just keep going. Your depression is coloring your will to live and to see all the good things that can happen in your future. You have to imagine positive things can happen. A job is just a job. It isn't a definition of lifetime success no matter how much biglaw partners and associates think so.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 pm

NYstate wrote:

I said this before but dying over a job is simply not worth it. You have good things that will happen in your life. Don't give up on them. Don't give up on yourself. Yes this is really hard. No one is saying it is easy. But you have to persevere.

Not getting a job does not make you a failure. It means there aren't enough jobs. Don't take it all on yourself.

I am really glad you are in therapy. Just keep going. Your depression is coloring your will to live and to see all the good things that can happen in your future. You have to imagine positive things can happen. A job is just a job. It isn't a definition of lifetime success no matter how much biglaw partners and associates think so.

BigLaw is a shitty life, bro. Just ask anyone who has made the jump from BigLaw to In-House.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:29 am

sparty99 wrote:
NYstate wrote:

BigLaw is a shitty life, bro. Just ask anyone who has made the jump from BigLaw to In-House.

Some BigLaw attorneys I've talked to have advised me to stay away from BigLaw. Their ability/luck to get BigLaw hasn't led to happiness. You have to make your own happiness in life- this is what I've learned from law school and my job search.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 pm

aliens wrote:
I think that's positive. Employers don't usually send out "hang on" e-mails unprompted. At a minimum, they clearly want you to tell them if you receive an offer elsewhere. At least that's how I'd interpret it. I have a feeling this will be your job!

I appreciate the vote of faith!

Sadly - found out that they also interviewed others and so are actually taking time to narrow the list down :/

Why act so excited about me working there and talking about when can I start, etc. when they know there's a chance they may go with someone else?!

I think it's true that they keep touching base to stay in the loop re: whether I received another offer. Right, because I have so many other interviews (I wish!)...

All I can think is please pick me, please pick me!!! GAH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Suicide is a terrible thing but I could see myself doing it if I can't find a job. With the bar over I'm making it my full time mission to find one in August. I need to. Somehow...I need to find a way to use this JD (from a t-20 school with good grades too :( ).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Suicide is a terrible thing but I could see myself doing it if I can't find a job. With the bar over I'm making it my full time mission to find one in August. I need to. Somehow...I need to find a way to use this JD (from a t-20 school with good grades too :( ).

Do not commit suicide. I'm beggin you bro. Please seek counseling

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Suicide is a terrible thing but I could see myself doing it if I can't find a job. With the bar over I'm making it my full time mission to find one in August. I need to. Somehow...I need to find a way to use this JD (from a t-20 school with good grades too :( ).

Do not commit suicide. I'm beggin you bro. Please seek counseling

Honestly. Life is worth living even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment. A job isn't worth dying over. Please don't do this. Get help.

Give yourself more than a few weeks to find a job.
Last edited by NYstate on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 pm

I know that feel bro. I've been at my lowest point in my life this summer and have had some dark moments. But there is so much to live for. And don't give up. I went months with nothing and today I had two interviews. Who knows if anything will come from them, but fuck it felt good to take a shower and put on a suit and have some hope. Just keep trying, something will happen for you.

Olive83

Postby Olive83 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Please do not think of ending your life over finding work. There is a lot more to life. Now that the bar exam is over, would you consider picking up old, fun hobbies again, in addition to continuing your job hunt?

It took me months after taking the bar to find the job for me. I had low times as well. But I promise, the wait was worth it. You will find a job you love. And please give yourself more than a month limit to do so. It may take time for everything to fall into place (or it could happen in a heartbeat when something just clicks). I waited quite some time, and then, very suddenly, a firm scooped me up. There is no way to know how awesome a job you will find and how great an attorney you will be unless you live to see it.

You're intelligent and capable and have a lot to look forward to. Keep looking forward.

se7en

Postby se7en » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Holy crap! Please dont talk about suicide - and if youre joking, the joke is horrible. If youre really struggling apply for work outside of the law, get out of the house and make some moneu, move around, talk to people, dont pigionhole yourself to law if youre going to one interview a month and sitting around unemployed - OF COURSE you will be depressed, people need human contact! Keep looking for a job, but meanwhile, get off your ass and hustle to get out of the house, regain confidence, and make some cash.

random ideas to make $$ and fill up time:

real estate (wholesale realestate requires no money down)
freelance work (goto elance or odesk, do copywriting, translation,marketing, writing)
write an ebook about your job search and publish on amazon
get a job at a bank, cafe, restaurant, hr delartment, small business, import export,
become a teacher at a community college
trade stocks (if u have capital)
become a middleman for business
write up a business plan and search for investors
become a personal trainer
buy cars and resell them for 1-2k profit
do business consulting for small companies
work as a bouncer
import products from china and resell
become a mortgage broker
take your real estate exam and become a broker

honestly, be creative and stay positive, keep looking for legal work but start working, everything will be alright so long as you stay moving!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I don't have money though. And nothing but a steady job will work because I have a lot of expenses including credit card debt I racked up over the summer to keep myself eating food. My dad sent me some money now but he said he can't send anymore. I have just enough to get through August. Maybe September. I know it sucks but I decided if I can't find a job by the end of August I'm going to have to commit suicide. I don't know any other way out. All those jobs you just listed, I don't even know if I'm qualified for any of them, and for the ones that I might be, they wouldn't nearly cover living expenses in this city, even if I shared a closet with 20 other people.

I'm going to be hustling like crazy this month to get something, it's my only chance

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't have money though. And nothing but a steady job will work because I have a lot of expenses including credit card debt I racked up over the summer to keep myself eating food. My dad sent me some money now but he said he can't send anymore. I have just enough to get through August. Maybe September. I know it sucks but I decided if I can't find a job by the end of August I'm going to have to commit suicide. I don't know any other way out. All those jobs you just listed, I don't even know if I'm qualified for any of them, and for the ones that I might be, they wouldn't nearly cover living expenses in this city, even if I shared a closet with 20 other people.

I'm going to be hustling like crazy this month to get something, it's my only chance

This is a very poor decision. You can't die because you don't have a job. There are always ways to work with creditors. There are other options.

You are only seeing things like this because you are depressed. This isn't reality. How is your Dad going to feel if you die? I'm sure he doesn't know how you are feeling. People care about you.

You need to find help and support to get through this.

I think it is a great sign that you have so much hustle to find work. Just give yourself more time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't have money though. And nothing but a steady job will work because I have a lot of expenses including credit card debt I racked up over the summer to keep myself eating food. My dad sent me some money now but he said he can't send anymore. I have just enough to get through August. Maybe September. I know it sucks but I decided if I can't find a job by the end of August I'm going to have to commit suicide. I don't know any other way out. All those jobs you just listed, I don't even know if I'm qualified for any of them, and for the ones that I might be, they wouldn't nearly cover living expenses in this city, even if I shared a closet with 20 other people.

Everybody is qualified to bartend/wait tables. That's how I paid the bills or years. Please do not do what you are talking about doing.

Return to “Legal Employment”