The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:22 pm

As a small-firm partner, understand that we sometimes run ads for associates just to gauge the level of desperation out there, and also to "jaw-drop" at the sheer quantity (and quality) of resumes that come pouring in like a monsoon.

Any non-Biglaw firm paying a newbie anything more than $10 to $12 an hour is crazy. The supply-demand metrics are so absurdly in favor of the employers it's downright comical.
You're either just a troll or an animal who doesn't belong in the field of law. Get the hell out. You're a terrible person and probably a terrible lawyer.

P.S. Ever heard of false advertising?

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:23 pm

sirpartner82 wrote:As a small-firm partner, understand that we sometimes run ads for associates just to gauge the level of desperation out there, and also to "jaw-drop" at the sheer quantity (and quality) of resumes that come pouring in like a monsoon.

Any non-Biglaw firm paying a newbie anything more than $10 to $12 an hour is crazy. The supply-demand metrics are so absurdly in favor of the employers it's downright comical.
I'm glad our misery has entertainment value for you

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:33 pm

sirpartner82 wrote:As a small-firm partner, understand that we sometimes run ads for associates just to gauge the level of desperation out there, and also to "jaw-drop" at the sheer quantity (and quality) of resumes that come pouring in like a monsoon.

Pretty sure this is illegal, and even if it isn't, it is strongly deserving of a jaw-dropping quantity (and quality) of swift kicks to the dick.

You can make more than that waiting tables for chrissakes. And generally doing any full-time job that requires a 4-year degree.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Broseidon wrote:

I'm glad our misery has entertainment value for you
I think this guy is a troll..who would pay $25 just to be an asshole? There are a lot cheaper ways to be an asshole.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Really fighting that "shitlaw" label, I see.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Jessuf wrote:I decided to submit some bids in OCI for the hell of it. Received zero firm interviews. This is 100% lottery, so this probably means everyone in my school also bid on the few firms interested in 3Ls. lol :cry:
3LOLCI sucks

There were 8 orgs at my school

I think 5 were firms

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 pm

guys, sirpartner is a troll, just stop feeding him

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I decided to submit some bids in OCI for the hell of it. Received zero firm interviews. This is 100% lottery, so this probably means everyone in my school also bid on the few firms interested in 3Ls. lol :cry:
3LOLCI sucks

I think 5 were firms
Are you poasting in the middle of taking the bar?

You are the people's champ

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Watching you. Tread carefully.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:12 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
3LOLCI sucks

I think 5 were firms
Are you poasting in the middle of taking the bar?

You are the people's champ
yeah mah ban expired today braj

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, place I was hoping for just said no. A day before the bar exam. I spent some time on a bridge tonight. I don't feel good.
Hey . . . Hope you are doing okay, and that you crushed day 1.

I have been at that point before. Just think of someone, anyone, who would be heartbroken if you were to do that. Sometimes that is what keeps me going. Knowing you will be missed. That there truly is someone who will care.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well, place I was hoping for just said no. A day before the bar exam. I spent some time on a bridge tonight. I don't feel good.
Hey . . . Hope you are doing okay, and that you crushed day 1.

I have been at that point before. Just think of someone, anyone, who would be heartbroken if you were to do that. Sometimes that is what keeps me going. Knowing you will be missed. That there truly is someone who will care.
Again, if anyone wants to PM me or whatever, feel free. No judgment. Get counseling. It is very helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 pm

rad lulz wrote: Again, if anyone wants to PM me or whatever, feel free. No judgment. Get counseling. It is very helpful.
If you're a rising 3L and you're feeling down do this. Your school should offer services. After the summer associate job search beat me to shit I finally saw a therapist and I'm feeling so much better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:23 pm

If someone's position on Linkedin reads, "Contract Attorney", does that = doc review?

Just wonderin cuz I saw profiles of folks from my T30 who graduated in the past three years who've had a string of "Contract Attorney" positions.

Oh, and sirpartner, you are scum. :|

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If someone's position on Linkedin reads, "Contract Attorney", does that = doc review?

Just wonderin cuz I saw profiles of folks from my T30 who graduated in the past three years who've had a string of "Contract Attorney" positions.

Oh, and sirpartner, you are scum. :|
Different things at different firms

All the way from doc review monkey to dude who does associate type work for less money

See "staff atty"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:37 pm

^ Thanks. Is doc review a scarlet letter, or are folks stuck in such positions ever able to eventually obtain solid FT LT gov/PI work ITE? (I'm assuming big firms would look down on such work, and regardless, dat ship has sailed for me)

:sigh:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ Thanks. Is doc review a scarlet letter, or are folks stuck in such positions ever able to eventually obtain solid FT LT gov/PI work ITE? (I'm assuming big firms would look down on such work, and regardless, dat ship has sailed for me)

If you take doc review work, leave it off your resume

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ Thanks. Is doc review a scarlet letter, or are folks stuck in such positions ever able to eventually obtain solid FT LT gov/PI work ITE? (I'm assuming big firms would look down on such work, and regardless, dat ship has sailed for me)

How to fill the gap, tho? Doc review for the dough and PT pro bono work for a legal aid society to get legit resume-building experience?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

How to fill the gap, tho? Doc review for the dough and PT pro bono work for a legal aid society to get legit resume-building experience?
If you can swing it. Doc review isn't a steady job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Just got no-offered after my 2L SA (did my 1L summer there, too). Am I allowed to join this thread now?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got no-offered after my 2L SA (did my 1L summer there, too). Am I allowed to join this thread now?
Sorry bro. What happened? Firm suffering?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

If you can swing it. Doc review isn't a steady job.
Yeah, I can swing it. Live with the 'rents, and very grateful for it.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote: If you can swing it. Doc review isn't a steady job.
Yeah, I can swing it. Live with the 'rents, and very grateful for it.
I meant more in the sense that you get on a project and you go for 10 hrs for a few days, and the projects ends before the end date, or you have to show up at random times to get on projects, and staffing agencies choose who to staff by who shows up the most, etc.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got no-offered after my 2L SA (did my 1L summer there, too). Am I allowed to join this thread now?
Condolences bro

I know how that shit feels

Hopefully something in here is helpful for you too

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=212272

Just know that life isn't over bro

This ain't a reflection on you as a person

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”