The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beach_terror

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sort of offered an associate position in a three/four person plaintiff's med mal firm (basically told that if I'm interested it's mine but no salary info yet). Not my preferred market but definitely somewhere I would work. I had wanted to do litigation so I guess this is kinda the same thing. In the Vale, but will this limit my options coming out? Between this and the bar I am just so stressed out. To make matters even muddier - my father is a physician ( :!: ).

The firm I'm joining - complex/class action lit firm (securities, antitrust, etc.) that does exclusively Ps work -has a few trade ups from that type of P work. Most of the good class action firms pay 100k+ for entry level, so with a few years experience you can be looking at mid/high 100s or maybe low 200s depending on the location. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 pm

For those of you getting interviews/jobs at JD preferred positions, any suggestions on how to go about looking for those openings?

dfsad

Postby dfsad » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you getting interviews/jobs at JD preferred positions, any suggestions on how to go about looking for those openings?

I found my on our school's Symplicity. I've also been looking on Linkedin with keywords like JD prefer/advantage, compliance, or contracts manager.

dfsad

Postby dfsad » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 pm

lukertin wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
dfsad wrote:Long time vale lurker, first time poster. I've got a second interview for a JD preferred position with a corporation. It's mostly reviewing and negotiating contracts. I won't be a real attorney, but it pays well, has great benefits, and is a strict 40 hour work week. I guess my question is if I get offerred the job and take it, am I limiting my exit options by not taking a job that requires a JD?

Are you serious?! You should reject the job and leave my resume with HR on your way out.

There's nothing wrong with being concerned about getting a job that could potentially eliminate the possibility of OP ever working as a lawyer. Granted, he obviously should take the job in order to eat, but continue looking for an attorney position if that is what he wants to do.

Yes, that is what I meant. Don't get me wrong, if offerred the job I am going to take it. I was just curious about my future options.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 am

So much SOS at the beginning of this thread.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:01 am

Thanks duders. This has turned into an all day fight. I said a mean comment off the cuff the other day, and I never apologized for it. So yeah, supportive BF of the decade here. I feel like garbage. I hate the vale.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:44 am

Do I have to wait for the start of classes to officially join the "Vale of Tears."

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:46 am

sparty99 wrote:Do I have to wait for the start of classes to officially join the "Vale of Tears."

Welcome mang

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:02 am

Hopefully some good news. Got a call from a firm that I interviewed with updating me that on I am on their short list and they are currently asking the head office if they can hire two attorneys. Not fully sure what this means for my chances, and I've only had a phone interview with them, but I guess it is something and they were nice enough to call me to update (rarely have gotten this before). Also got an interview with a different section of the govt agency I'm doing my school fellowship at for actual employment, so hoping the people on my floor will vouch for me. Hang in there everyone and good luck with the bar.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hopefully some good news. Got a call from a firm that I interviewed with updating me that on I am on their short list and they are currently asking the head office if they can hire two attorneys. Not fully sure what this means for my chances, and I've only had a phone interview with them, but I guess it is something and they were nice enough to call me to update (rarely have gotten this before). Also got an interview with a different section of the govt agency I'm doing my school fellowship at for actual employment, so hoping the people on my floor will vouch for me. Hang in there everyone and good luck with the bar.

That's some cautiously good news bro

Let us know what happens

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sort of offered an associate position in a three/four person plaintiff's med mal firm (basically told that if I'm interested it's mine but no salary info yet). Not my preferred market but definitely somewhere I would work. I had wanted to do litigation so I guess this is kinda the same thing. In the Vale, but will this limit my options coming out? Between this and the bar I am just so stressed out. To make matters even muddier - my father is a physician ( :!: ).

Litigation is litigaton. Your options will not be limited. Get the experience and flip to the hospitals' and docs' side if you are concerned about suing doctors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Had my first good lead in months, but not looking good now. Small, 5 person tax firm over an hour outside a major city. Parent works with the sister of the guy who owns the firm and they're hiring a new associate. Two weeks since he said thanks for sending in your stuff and haven't heard a peep. Also going to fail the bar exam at the rate Im going

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had my first good lead in months, but not looking good now. Small, 5 person tax firm over an hour outside a major city. Parent works with the sister of the guy who owns the firm and they're hiring a new associate. Two weeks since he said thanks for sending in your stuff and haven't heard a peep. Also going to fail the bar exam at the rate Im going

2 weeks only? They may not have even looked at it yet

If you are concerned, follow up bro

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 pm

In need of help from the Vale. 2 things. What is the going per hour rate for a "part-time attorney?" Small Plaintiff's firm. Seemingly well respected. Most of the partners have awesome credentials and are big-law allums. Located in Texas. (Houston/Dallas/Austin). Also, what is the normal rate per hour for a purely 100% doc review gig. Same location.

I was thinking $30-$40 for the Plaintiffs firm and slightly less for doc review?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:57 am

When do you guys think is the best time to mass mail big firms for the 3L job search? July before OCI, after OCI, November once they are done with 2L hiring? Also, would it be better to be a summer associate or clerk for 2l summer resume purposes? I work at a boutique firm so my title might be flexible...

Also, to give some hope to people graduating while still in the Vale. I know two people in V-100 biglaw who got their jobs after graduation. One of them after volunteering and doing good work for a judge, while the other one after work at an insurance defense firm. Good luck and I hope things get better for us.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:42 pm

GF and I made up, and a friend of a friend passed my resume to her boss.

Fingers crossed.

sirpartner82

Postby sirpartner82 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:04 pm

In need of help from the Vale. 2 things. What is the going per hour rate for a "part-time attorney?" Small Plaintiff's firm. Seemingly well respected. Most of the partners have awesome credentials and are big-law allums. Located in Texas. (Houston/Dallas/Austin). Also, what is the normal rate per hour for a purely 100% doc review gig. Same location.

I was thinking $30-$40 for the Plaintiffs firm and slightly less for doc review?

Looks like doc review in Austin, TX is $21 an hour for licensed attorneys:

--LinkRemoved--

As to actually practicing substantive law as a temp, looks like a couple years after licensure you could be at $26 an hour:

--LinkRemoved--

Of course, the $26 an hour job will likely have plenty of applicants with 10 or more years experience, since lawyers are dime a dozen and a JD/bar passage a basically worthless credential in terms of earning power. In the new America, a law degree virtually assures a lower or "working class" living, akin to a retail store manager or landscape crew laborer, etc. Basically similar in earning power to a G.E.D. Even worse if loans are subtracted from salary.

HTH

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:14 pm

So when can nojerb rising 3Ls join the Vale?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In need of help from the Vale. 2 things. What is the going per hour rate for a "part-time attorney?" Small Plaintiff's firm. Seemingly well respected. Most of the partners have awesome credentials and are big-law allums. Located in Texas. (Houston/Dallas/Austin). Also, what is the normal rate per hour for a purely 100% doc review gig. Same location.

Houston, Dallas, and Austin all have very different "rates" for things like that.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:52 pm

fish tacos wrote:So when can nojerb rising 3Ls join the Vale?

Now dood

Welcome

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 pm

rad lulz wrote:
fish tacos wrote:So when can nojerb rising 3Ls join the Vale?

Now dood

Welcome

Thanks for the welcome. I feel like we are all in AA together... nobody understands our struggle but us.

The 2L jerbsearch took a lot out of me. Not looking forward to doing it again this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Just got dinged at a fellowship and the e-mail wished me a happy 4th. What a happy 4th indeed.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got dinged at a fellowship and the e-mail wished me a happy 4th. What a happy 4th indeed.

That's low man

I'm sorry

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:25 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In need of help from the Vale. 2 things. What is the going per hour rate for a "part-time attorney?" Small Plaintiff's firm. Seemingly well respected. Most of the partners have awesome credentials and are big-law allums. Located in Texas. (Houston/Dallas/Austin). Also, what is the normal rate per hour for a purely 100% doc review gig. Same location.

Houston, Dallas, and Austin all have very different "rates" for things like that.

It's in Dallas.

sirpartner82 wrote:

Looks like doc review in Austin, TX is $21 an hour for licensed attorneys:

--LinkRemoved--

As to actually practicing substantive law as a temp, looks like a couple years after licensure you could be at $26 an hour:

--LinkRemoved--

Of course, the $26 an hour job will likely have plenty of applicants with 10 or more years experience, since lawyers are dime a dozen and a JD/bar passage a basically worthless credential in terms of earning power. In the new America, a law degree virtually assures a lower or "working class" living, akin to a retail store manager or landscape crew laborer, etc. Basically similar in earning power to a G.E.D. Even worse if loans are subtracted from salary.

HTH

Thanks for the info. I would think it should be similar in Dallas. Not sure though. Not something I want to do (assuming I get one of these types of jobs) but I need to eat in September so I will do anything legal related or anything that pays. Seriously thought of working at Home Depot to make ends meet for the time being, assuming they would hire me.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:03 pm

In need of help from the Vale. 2 things. What is the going per hour rate for a "part-time attorney?" Small Plaintiff's firm

Starting out you would probably be looking at anything from 12 to 20, depending on the firm and location. Part timers are very expendable.

Return to “Legal Employment”