The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:48 pm

No call before the close of business. I'm fucked.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:52 pm

bjsesq wrote:No call before the close of business. I'm fucked.

Did they say they were gonna call?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Sorry man. You're a good dude and every time I see you going through this shit I want to scream at the employers. I hope you find something soon.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Yes

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yes

There is still some hope right? I mean its always easier/quicker to axe someone. You must at least be under some kind of consideration.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yes

There is still some hope right? I mean its always easier/quicker to axe someone. You must at least be under some kind of consideration.

I've given up on trying to read the tea leaves. Maybe, I guess.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yes

I mean, its not over until it's over, but that's not a great sign I guess

Though there could be any number of reasons they didn't call

Nothin to do but wait/barzam study

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yes

Law firms are fundamentally incapable of doing anything relating to hiring in the time frame they set for themselves.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Well today was pertty brutal. Job 1: right in my wheelhouse, exactly what I've been doing since summer of 1L and what I want to do, looking for entry level, OH and two attorneys I worked with for an entire year know multiple people over there and made a number of calls on my behalf. HR didn't even approve my application to get passed on to actual attorneys. What the fuck. Job 2: state trial clerkship, criminal docket, so again right in my wheelhouse, OH and someone I've worked with knows the judge personally and calls the judge on my behalf. Rejected. Got both emails today. Fuck. this. shit.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:25 am

kalvano wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:Out of the Vale!! No a great job, but it will pay the bills (though not interest on my debt).

There is still hope out there people. Keep apply to everything you can. Best of luck to everyone still in the Vale.

Congratulations. I bet that makes bar studying easier.

Congratulations friendo!

Question for you guys: I got a random offer for an interview with a worker's comp firm. This sounds like a fate worse than continued habitation in the Vale (or, at least, I could probably get a non-law job that I'd like better and wager would pay more). I still want to be a lawyer, so would it make sense to consider the worker's comp thing as a means to find something else, or would I just be signing on for an endless SPS career?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:26 am

TTH wrote:
kalvano wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:Out of the Vale!! No a great job, but it will pay the bills (though not interest on my debt).

There is still hope out there people. Keep apply to everything you can. Best of luck to everyone still in the Vale.

Congratulations friendo!

Question for you guys: I got a random offer for an interview with a worker's comp firm. This sounds like a fate worse than continued habitation in the Vale (or, at least, I could probably get a non-law job that I'd like better and wager would pay more). I still want to be a lawyer, so would it make sense to consider the worker's comp thing as a means to find something else, or would I just be signing on for an endless SPS career?

So basically insurance defense?

If you think you can get back into the union game I wouldn't do it

Insurance D doesn't have a lot of "exit options" and I've heard some horror stories ab how insurers are shitty clients

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:56 am

Geist13 wrote:Well today was pertty brutal. Job 1: right in my wheelhouse, exactly what I've been doing since summer of 1L and what I want to do, looking for entry level, OH and two attorneys I worked with for an entire year know multiple people over there and made a number of calls on my behalf. HR didn't even approve my application to get passed on to actual attorneys. What the fuck. Job 2: state trial clerkship, criminal docket, so again right in my wheelhouse, OH and someone I've worked with knows the judge personally and calls the judge on my behalf. Rejected. Got both emails today. Fuck. this. shit.

Sorry to hear that. Can't do anything about the clerkship at this point, but for job 1, do you have any insight at all about their hiring process? If HR didn't even pass on the application, the firm might not be hiring. But if they are hiring and HR didn't pass on the application, you might want to see if there's a hiring partner there you can contact directly. I've had some luck just talking to hiring partners rather than going through recruiting.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:33 am

TTH wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Congratulations friendo!

I worked at an ID/WC firm my 1L summer and from the information I gathered it is basically "signing on for an endless SPS career." I preemptively told the firm that I wasnt coming back my 2L summer before I even had anything lined up. I will say the people seemed a lot more chill at the ID/WC firm than compared to other more business-oriented firms. If you took a WC class and liked it, go for it. But only a select few get excited over arguing the injury date of carpel tunnel.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Just got the rejection call. Trying to find a discrete place to hang myself from.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:52 pm

bjsesq wrote:Just got the rejection call. Trying to find a discrete place to hang myself from.

Crap, a CALL

Take a day off from bar prep and grab a beer if you can man

That sucks asshole and I'm sorry

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Just got the rejection call. Trying to find a discrete place to hang myself from.

Crap, a CALL

Take a day off from bar prep and grab a beer if you can man

That sucks asshole and I'm sorry

Seriously, who calls?

I second the beer option. Shame you're not near me, breh. I'd buy you one, as you need it.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Seriously, who calls?

I second the beer option. Shame you're not near me, breh. I'd buy you one, as you need it.

Agreed. I literally want to murder the firms/people that call to reject.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 pm

lolwat wrote:

Imagine how you would feel if you received a no-offer via phone call

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Sorry to hear this. You seem like a good and competent person.

Do you have supportive people around you IRL?
Just don't give up. You have to maintain your mental health. Don't get defeated.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:30 pm

TTH wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Congratulations friendo!

Thanks man.

Honestly, I would interview for it at least. While worker's comp isn't exciting, I think it can be fairly lucrative for the people in charge. And it doesn't hurt to keep your options open. Plus at some firms insurance or WC defense can get you a bunch of trial time if that is your sort of thing.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:35 pm

It'll be alright. I know there's not really anyone can say that will make you feel better, just remember that there is always hope. In addition to that beer, perhaps call up a friend and go get the best fucking pizza you can and chow down. Food always seems to make things a little better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
TTH wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Congratulations friendo!

Thanks man.

Honestly, I would interview for it at least. While worker's comp isn't exciting, I think it can be fairly lucrative for the people in charge. And it doesn't hurt to keep your options open. Plus at some firms insurance or WC defense can get you a bunch of trial time if that is your sort of thing.

This. People bash WC and PI a shit ton but in all honesty the fields are less dry than corporate and commercial lit. You also have better exit options if you're entrepreneurial, as these are the fields where partners can actually make a million a year if they line up the right cases or have a pipe-stream of referrals.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This. People bash WC and PI a shit ton but in all honesty the fields are less dry than corporate and commercial lit. You also have better exit options if you're entrepreneurial, as these are the fields where partners can actually make a million a year if they line up the right cases or have a pipe-stream of referrals.

Exiting into a hammock = the best exit option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:

I have been no offered and rejected via phone. The no offer I kind of expected but the rejection was something I really thought I had in the bag and was a sweet opportunity so that was a direct kick in the dick. I still think I prefer phone calls to letters. Less cowardly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:

I have been no offered and rejected via phone. The no offer I kind of expected but the rejection was something I really thought I had in the bag and was a sweet opportunity so that was a direct kick in the dick. I still think I prefer phone calls to letters. Less cowardly.

Yeah, I got the no-offer via phone as well. I felt it was much more respectable than a letter.

Return to “Legal Employment”