The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:59 am

rad lulz wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
wormhole wrote:How was that badgering people? I wasn't asking people to explain themselves. I was genuinely interested in knowing if they had done well on the LSATs, but decided to go to a lower ranked school, but found themselves in a difficult position. It's not a crime to gauge the situation with the economy and try to find out all possible explanations.

The problem with the post is that it implied that the people who ended up in this thread must be here because they didn't really have very good stats to begin with and/or didn't go to very good schools, as opposed to recognizing that the crappiness of the economy means that people wind up in the Vale through no fault of their own.

+1

"Y u no retake for T14 back in 2009" is not helpful to anyone



If was helpful, we'd all not go to lawlskewl.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:10 am

Jerbless high LSAT person here. Was so happy when I got the score. I was a splitter so without I would have probably not attended law school. Not yet, but now I am pretty close to regretting my decision and that LSAT. It is funny how things work.
It also probably does not help my career that this whole process has made me much less outgoing and confident.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:40 am

The shitty thing for me is that I really like being a lawyer, and I want to do it. I just need someone to give me a chance to do it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:37 am

kalvano wrote:The shitty thing for me is that I really like being a lawyer, and I want to do it. I just need someone to give me a chance to do it.


yes, we all know this. I hope you will get a cool lawyer job soon (better than the one for which you interviewed a while ago)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:21 pm

So, I will be a 3L next year and top 10% at a T2 in a major (saturated) market. I struck out at OCI (it was seriously disheartening...I had a few CBs but nothing materialized, and I swear I am a pretty chill), but secured a summer gig at a small ~5 attorney firm for schillings per hour (I still think I am fortunate to even have this). I am EIC on a secondary if this helps as well.

How should I proceed from here? There is definitely the possibility this firm gives me an offer, the managing partner has hinted at it. But, I want to go mid to big law. When do I start mass mailing alums from my UG and law school inquiring if they are going to be looking at hiring an additional associate in 2014? Is this possible or am I fucked?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:31 pm

I was mucking around my CSO's page on Blackboard today, I'm at CCN, and found a guide to the 3L job search. I know I should have been expecting it but it's still surprising to hear just how their tone changes from 2L OCI to 3L recruiting. Last year it was all about how being yourself and being relaxed was good enough, but now it's doom and gloom and how most of us aren't going to get hired until we pass the bar. It's not like I didn't know this already but it's just shitty to hear it from the usually sunny CSO. It's almost like they've given up on us.

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby nevdash » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Jerbless high LSAT person here. Was so happy when I got the score. I was a splitter so without I would have probably not attended law school. Not yet, but now I am pretty close to regretting my decision and that LSAT. It is funny how things work.
It also probably does not help my career that this whole process has made me much less outgoing and confident.

This reminds me of Philip Seymour Hoffman's character at the end of Charlie Wilson's War. If you haven't seen it, he tells a story: "A boy is given a horse on his 14th birthday. Everyone in the village says, “Oh how wonderful.” But a Zen master who lives in the village says, “We'll see.” 'The boy falls off the horse and breaks his foot. Everyone in the village says, “Oh how awful.” The Zen master says, “We'll see.” The village is thrown into war and all the young men have to go to war. But, because of the broken foot, the boy stays behind. Everyone says, “Oh, how wonderful.” The Zen master says, “We'll see.”"

Just like your LSAT score, which you thought was a good thing, turned into something you might soon think is a bad thing, your hardship now might somehow turn out for the best. Just be patient and don't stop grinding.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I will be a 3L next year and top 10% at a T2 in a major (saturated) market. I struck out at OCI (it was seriously disheartening...I had a few CBs but nothing materialized, and I swear I am a pretty chill), but secured a summer gig at a small ~5 attorney firm for schillings per hour (I still think I am fortunate to even have this). I am EIC on a secondary if this helps as well.

How should I proceed from here? There is definitely the possibility this firm gives me an offer, the managing partner has hinted at it. But, I want to go mid to big law. When do I start mass mailing alums from my UG and law school inquiring if they are going to be looking at hiring an additional associate in 2014? Is this possible or am I fucked?


Wrong thread for you bro.

This isn't the thread for "how do I trade up?"

This is the thread for "how do I get ANY job so I don't starve"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Checking in, in brief - had 3 final rounds with large DA offices around the country my 3L year. 1 with a large PD office. Currently waiting to hear back from the PD office (they made initial offers and are now waiting to hear about budget/offers before making more offers) and one of the DA offices(still making offers). None of the offices are in my home state. Currently studying for the bar in the jurisdiction where the remaining DA/PD office are. Registered for both my home state bar and this bar. Hoping I get a job before I sit for the bar, don't really know what the move is if I go offerless and get licensed in this other jurisdiction. Hang in there guys.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in, in brief - had 3 final rounds with large DA offices around the country my 3L year. 1 with a large PD office. Currently waiting to hear back from the PD office (they made initial offers and are now waiting to hear about budget/offers before making more offers) and one of the DA offices(still making offers). None of the offices are in my home state. Currently studying for the bar in the jurisdiction where the remaining DA/PD office are. Registered for both my home state bar and this bar. Hoping I get a job before I sit for the bar, don't really know what the move is if I go offerless and get licensed in this other jurisdiction. Hang in there guys.

Best of luck bro wrt hearing back

No timeframe? Just "when we know..."?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Checking in, in brief - had 3 final rounds with large DA offices around the country my 3L year. 1 with a large PD office. Currently waiting to hear back from the PD office (they made initial offers and are now waiting to hear about budget/offers before making more offers) and one of the DA offices(still making offers). None of the offices are in my home state. Currently studying for the bar in the jurisdiction where the remaining DA/PD office are. Registered for both my home state bar and this bar. Hoping I get a job before I sit for the bar, don't really know what the move is if I go offerless and get licensed in this other jurisdiction. Hang in there guys.

Best of luck bro wrt hearing back

No timeframe? Just "when we know..."?



Pretty much. Contingent on budget RE:PD. I'll PM you the story.

Olive83
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:46 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Olive83 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:13 am

All who are still on the hunt, keep your heads up.

I wrote a while back because it took me a few months after taking the bar to get a job, but I got one by complete networking luck. I nearly cried from relief. Now, I'm watching friends who were unemployed for even longer finally get the jobs they all deserve.

From the school I graduated from, many talented people did not have jobs even at the time I got mine. But by now - even the last remaining are beginning to get permanent legal work, and all over the U.S. (I am in TX, but they sweep the Northeast to the Midwest). It feels triumphant, watching everyone beat the shit-economy statistics. My good friend got a job last month - a year after graduation - at a big law firm in a self-proclaimed hiring freeze. Literal $0 to $160 in a split moment. I was blown away.

You will hear a lot of what "can" and "cannot" happen, but nothing is impossible. I know it feels like shit while you are unemployed. In fact, yeah, a lot feels pretty impossible. A lot of my friends went through a whole year of sadness and hopelessness and embarrassment (me, only half that). But all of their lives just did a 180 as soon as they gained employment - employment that was well-deserved all along, it just took time for someone out there to see it and give them a chance. And those chances have been given by decent to stellar law firms.

Yes, it's frustrating to see that asshole who is half as intelligent as you get the job you both interviewed for but that you were more qualified for. Yes, it's frustrating to see people starting next fall in jobs that pay three times what you're even praying to make now.

But from what I have personally seen in the last year, things can fall into place. It just takes the right move at the right moment. Keep your chins up so that you maintain that positive energy and hunger so you're ready to make the right move when the right moment comes along. It really takes faith and continuing to believe that you will get a job practicing law, and it will be a job that you enjoy.

Cheesy pep talk aside, I got a 173 on my LSAT, for whoever cared. And no, I was NOT employed at graduation. Or even when I sat for the bar. So if you had some theory about LSAT-employment correlation - that's idiotic.

Sideways
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:11 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Sideways » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Olive83 wrote:All who are still on the hunt, keep your heads up.

I wrote a while back because it took me a few months after taking the bar to get a job, but I got one by complete networking luck. I nearly cried from relief. Now, I'm watching friends who were unemployed for even longer finally get the jobs they all deserve.

From the school I graduated from, many talented people did not have jobs even at the time I got mine. But by now - even the last remaining are beginning to get permanent legal work, and all over the U.S. (I am in TX, but they sweep the Northeast to the Midwest). It feels triumphant, watching everyone beat the shit-economy statistics. My good friend got a job last month - a year after graduation - at a big law firm in a self-proclaimed hiring freeze. Literal $0 to $160 in a split moment. I was blown away.

You will hear a lot of what "can" and "cannot" happen, but nothing is impossible. I know it feels like shit while you are unemployed. In fact, yeah, a lot feels pretty impossible. A lot of my friends went through a whole year of sadness and hopelessness and embarrassment (me, only half that). But all of their lives just did a 180 as soon as they gained employment - employment that was well-deserved all along, it just took time for someone out there to see it and give them a chance. And those chances have been given by decent to stellar law firms.

Yes, it's frustrating to see that asshole who is half as intelligent as you get the job you both interviewed for but that you were more qualified for. Yes, it's frustrating to see people starting next fall in jobs that pay three times what you're even praying to make now.

But from what I have personally seen in the last year, things can fall into place. It just takes the right move at the right moment. Keep your chins up so that you maintain that positive energy and hunger so you're ready to make the right move when the right moment comes along. It really takes faith and continuing to believe that you will get a job practicing law, and it will be a job that you enjoy.

Cheesy pep talk aside, I got a 173 on my LSAT, for whoever cared. And no, I was NOT employed at graduation. Or even when I sat for the bar. So if you had some theory about LSAT-employment correlation - that's idiotic.


Define qualified, and begin to consider yourself an asshole, because you are one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:22 pm

nevdash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Jerbless high LSAT person here. Was so happy when I got the score. I was a splitter so without I would have probably not attended law school. Not yet, but now I am pretty close to regretting my decision and that LSAT. It is funny how things work.
It also probably does not help my career that this whole process has made me much less outgoing and confident.

This reminds me of Philip Seymour Hoffman's character at the end of Charlie Wilson's War. If you haven't seen it, he tells a story: "A boy is given a horse on his 14th birthday. Everyone in the village says, “Oh how wonderful.” But a Zen master who lives in the village says, “We'll see.” 'The boy falls off the horse and breaks his foot. Everyone in the village says, “Oh how awful.” The Zen master says, “We'll see.” The village is thrown into war and all the young men have to go to war. But, because of the broken foot, the boy stays behind. Everyone says, “Oh, how wonderful.” The Zen master says, “We'll see.”"

Just like your LSAT score, which you thought was a good thing, turned into something you might soon think is a bad thing, your hardship now might somehow turn out for the best. Just be patient and don't stop grinding.


^^ love that quote

Has anyone had success by keeping in touch with former interviewers or colleagues at firms? Probably pretty difficult to stay fresh in their mind, but not impossible.. and could be useful whenever the firm is looking to hire

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Geist13 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:18 am

Sideways wrote:
Define qualified, and begin to consider yourself an asshole, because you are one.


Calm the hell down. Nothing said was out of line or inappropriate. In fact the reference to qualifications you are speaking about is a something that has been touched on in this thread recently (within the last two pages) and so is directly on point and relevant. Its something that happens in hiring; it is frustrating to get passed up for someone without the same relevant experience as you.

After the recent negative posts in this thread, this is the one you decide to call out? It's a positive post, telling everyone to keep their heads up. That's kind of the thing people like to encourage around here.

buddingjd
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby buddingjd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am

U.S. firms with overseas offices... even worth the calls/emails as a rising 3L?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:22 am

buddingjd wrote:U.S. firms with overseas offices... even worth the calls/emails as a rising 3L?

If you don't have a job, why not

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:29 am

Geist13 wrote:
Sideways wrote:
Define qualified, and begin to consider yourself an asshole, because you are one.


Calm the hell down. Nothing said was out of line or inappropriate. In fact the reference to qualifications you are speaking about is a something that has been touched on in this thread recently (within the last two pages) and so is directly on point and relevant. Its something that happens in hiring; it is frustrating to get passed up for someone without the same relevant experience as you.

After the recent negative posts in this thread, this is the one you decide to call out? It's a positive post, telling everyone to keep their heads up. That's kind of the thing people like to encourage around here.

Yeah this

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 am

rad lulz wrote:
buddingjd wrote:U.S. firms with overseas offices... even worth the calls/emails as a rising 3L?

If you don't have a job, why not


Was reading some old 3L threads over the weekend and a couple of years ago a poaster networked his way to a job at an overseas office after not having an SA. Don't massmail in the general sense, though. Contact some alumni and get in that way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 pm

My problem is what the hell do I do for money while I wait for the magical day that someone finally let's me be a lawyer? I have nothing left, I can't just sit at home waiting for a job...

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby TTH » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Got an e-mail this morning from the in-house interview I did a couple weeks ago. They went with someone else. This was the best lead I'd had in months. Fuck.

Back to the drawing board/wallowing in the vale.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My problem is what the hell do I do for money while I wait for the magical day that someone finally let's me be a lawyer? I have nothing left, I can't just sit at home waiting for a job...


Barista.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:31 pm

TTH wrote:Got an e-mail this morning from the in-house interview I did a couple weeks ago. They went with someone else. This was the best lead I'd had in months. Fuck.

Back to the drawing board/wallowing in the vale.

Shit I'm sorry brother

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby TTH » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:Got an e-mail this morning from the in-house interview I did a couple weeks ago. They went with someone else. This was the best lead I'd had in months. Fuck.

Back to the drawing board/wallowing in the vale.

Shit I'm sorry brother


It's all in the game.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm

TTH wrote:Got an e-mail this morning from the in-house interview I did a couple weeks ago. They went with someone else. This was the best lead I'd had in months. Fuck.

Back to the drawing board/wallowing in the vale.

Same, just got a rejection from the only job lead I had. Back to the drawing board. But, at least in hindsight I realized it probably wasn't the right job for me anyway. At the moment I'm feeling the "everything happens for a reason" mindset. Good luck on finding what is right for you.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.