The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JaLeCa

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby JaLeCa » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Le Sigh. It begins.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Solved my interview issues and ready for 3L OCI!

Wait, nobody wants someone who didn't have an SA already? Oh. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:57 am

one of my professors/mentors is so keen on boosting my self-esteem, and/or running out of constructive advice, that she said to me, "you are really presentable and pretty ... " and so you should not lose heart in the job search.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:one of my professors/mentors is so keen on boosting my self-esteem, and/or running out of constructive advice, that she said to me, "you are really presentable and pretty ... " and so you should not lose heart in the job search.

Cop DAT mrs/jd
Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 am

Fuck this shit. Just fuck it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 am

kalvano wrote:Fuck this shit. Just fuck it.

What happened my brother

Edit: no luck w that small firm?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 am

Not only no luck, but the job went to a raging bitch with worse grades and nowhere near the relevant experience.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 am

kalvano wrote:Not only no luck, but the job went to a raging bitch with worse grades and nowhere near the relevant experience.

jfc bro that sucks

Is she just hot or something?

I'm sorry brother

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:00 pm

i am sorry, brother.
speaking as a woman, I would say there are bitches who are nowhere near 'attractive' but who know how to kiss asses....

you sound really smart and with your credentials you may well get other opportunities. this firm, by picking this 'bitch' shows that it is not really worth your time.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not only no luck, but the job went to a raging bitch with worse grades and nowhere near the relevant experience.

jfc bro that sucks

I'm sorry brother

No, she's not hot. But I'm just guessing that with three male partners and one male associate, they wanted a change. Who knows, I'm probably just bitter. But I had a great interview, very relevant interests and work experience, and significantly better grades, so I'm kind of at a loss otherwise.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:10 pm

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

jfc bro that sucks

I'm sorry brother

No, she's not hot. But I'm just guessing that with three male partners and one male associate, they wanted a change. Who knows, I'm probably just bitter. But I had a great interview, very relevant interests and work experience, and significantly better grades, so I'm kind of at a loss otherwise.

That diversity rationale is not insignificant

Maybe she puts on a good show for the interviews

But I agree that it sucks bro. I know how much you wanted that.

It's okay to be bitter for a lil bit

Are you still waiting on an in house thing?

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

jfc bro that sucks

I'm sorry brother

Hang in there brother. At least you getting interviews and making moves, more than I can say.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:02 pm

maxpayne wrote:
Hang in there brother. At least you getting interviews and making moves, more than I can say.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Rising 3L checking in...Mid size firm will not be giving out offers to any of the law clerks. Officially scared now.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:08 pm

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

jfc bro that sucks

I'm sorry brother

Sorry to hear it brother. Take a night off from bar prep and pound booze.

Also, welcome and condolences to the new Vale denizens checking in.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Interview, finally (it's been 5 months since I had one). Local trial judge but I'm shooting, ultimately, for local DA jobs, so that works well for me. Trying my hardest not to get my hopes up, not succeeding too well.

kalvano wrote:No, she's not hot. But I'm just guessing that with three male partners and one male associate, they wanted a change. Who knows, I'm probably just bitter. But I had a great interview, very relevant interests and work experience, and significantly better grades, so I'm kind of at a loss otherwise.

That blows man, I think that's the hardest part about this. There've been a bunch of people at my school who have beat me out for interview spots and jobs who don't have nearly the resume or experience that I do. Just gotta keep on grinding and try not to make those comparisons (difficult, I know); but they only make rejection worse.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:22 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Rising 3L checking in...Mid size firm will not be giving out offers to any of the law clerks. Officially scared now.

Shit bro

Was this a new thing this year

Or was it always up in the air

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:35 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Rising 3L checking in...Mid size firm will not be giving out offers to any of the law clerks. Officially scared now.

This happened to me. It sucked big time. I highly suggest finding a small firm that will take you on as a clerk.

Also, this:

Bikeflip wrote:
maxpayne wrote:

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Shit bro

Was this a new thing this year

Or was it always up in the air

Nothing was ever guaranteed, but they did mention they had a number of former clerks working for them when I interviewed. I took their tone and some other things they said to mean that they wouldnt be an 100% rate, but if you did well there would be a place for you. I am doing very well, but it looks like they just don't want to expand my office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Recently secured a clerkship at a local office of the state government. Pay is almost nothing, but it's at least administrative/transactional and has benefits. I don't know whether to feel relief or despair.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

This happened to me. It sucked big time. I highly suggest finding a small firm that will take you on as a clerk.

Also, this:

Bikeflip wrote:
maxpayne wrote:

Good advice and I would like to, but school is outside the market I would like to be in permanently and the town where the school is has like no legal jobs during the year. I applied to a number of small and mid size firms for this summer that said they weren't going to take a summer intern, but to check back in with them when I was in the permanent job market, so I am going to begin chasing down those leads. Im about top 30%, with multiple publications and an editor position so I am still hoping that I will be able to pick up something decent, but that may just be wishful thinking lol.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Welp for my 2L summer I turned down 6 other offers to work in the middle of nowhere because it seemed like an almost perfect shot at becoming full-time employment. Even turned down splitting the summer. They no hired. What's worse another firm that I almost chose in the big city hired their intern and doubled in size since then. Cut to this summer. Three weeks ago I had half a dozen amazing leads (not exaggerating), today I got turned down by the last of them. Completely out of options. SO F'N FRUSTRATING.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:21 pm

When I was a 2L I turned down interviews from half a dozen firms that were equal or smaller than the firm I worked for at the time because they kept saying "We hire every intern we take on, don't worry, just relax and do your best" so my thinking was "I worked for this firm for a whole summer and like it here and like the people, they pay the same and are the same size as all the other firms I am interviewing with so why the hell would I leave?"... after I got no offered looking back at all the interviews I cancelled was arguably the worst feeling I have ever experienced.

The lesson is to look out for #1 at ALL TIMES because all the employers are doing the same. When I was a 1L I was extremely anti-reneging on an offer saying how its against "the code" and how you're screwing over an employer, etc. Now I am a HUGE proponent of reneging if you have a better offer, think about yourself and no one else. Screw the employers.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:32 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Welp for my 2L summer I turned down 6 other offers to work in the middle of nowhere because it seemed like an almost perfect shot at becoming full-time employment. Even turned down splitting the summer. They no hired. What's worse another firm that I almost chose in the big city hired their intern and doubled in size since then. Cut to this summer. Three weeks ago I had half a dozen amazing leads (not exaggerating), today I got turned down by the last of them. Completely out of options. SO F'N FRUSTRATING.

BarbellDreams wrote:When I was a 2L I turned down interviews from half a dozen firms that were equal or smaller than the firm I worked for at the time because they kept saying "We hire every intern we take on, don't worry, just relax and do your best" so my thinking was "I worked for this firm for a whole summer and like it here and like the people, they pay the same and are the same size as all the other firms I am interviewing with so why the hell would I leave?"... after I got no offered looking back at all the interviews I cancelled was arguably the worst feeling I have ever experienced.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:The lesson is to look out for #1 at ALL TIMES because all the employers are doing the same. When I was a 1L I was extremely anti-reneging on an offer saying how its against "the code" and how you're screwing over an employer, etc. Now I am a HUGE proponent of reneging if you have a better offer, think about yourself and no one else. Screw the employers.

I've said this all along, business is business and nothing personal. Sorry you had to come around to this viewpoint the really hard way, man.

Return to “Legal Employment”