The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:found out today that the most consistently unbearable gunner in my class graduated with no honors or accolades at all. satisfying to know all that gunning got her nowhere, but also pisses me off because that girl has a biglaw job and i graduated with honors and can't get an interview. :twisted:

3L job searching is the worst

It's like barely any rhyme or reason wrt grades

People with okay grades who were crim gunners got jerbs and interviews for PD/DA

People with connects and who were networked got good shit, good grades or no

Outside of people with sick grades who got clerkships, people with good grades only have as hard a time as anyone else

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:found out today that the most consistently unbearable gunner in my class graduated with no honors or accolades at all. satisfying to know all that gunning got her nowhere, but also pisses me off because that girl has a biglaw job and i graduated with honors and can't get an interview. :twisted:

Hard to say if that is too damn funny or just sad.

To the person wondering about the cold offer. Handle it just as though you were just “actually” offered. Normal out is that they (new firm) offer you the chance to work in the city of your dreams or with a firm with multiple locations. If it’s the same city, do your research and find out what the new firm does really well, and you’ll have your BS reason for the move. From what I have been told the one question you will be asked is, "what are you going to tell your old firm." Whatever it is, make it good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Finally got an interview at a big firm in Dallas! Hopefully I can remember to speak in complete sentences and won't crap myself during introductions. Sad how much this process affects the confidence.

Well crap, so much for that high. Interview was rather bland no matter how hard I tried to "connect" with the interviewer. Back to square one...again!

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finally got an interview at a big firm in Dallas! Hopefully I can remember to speak in complete sentences and won't crap myself during introductions. Sad how much this process affects the confidence.

Well crap, so much for that high. Interview was rather bland no matter how hard I tried to "connect" with the interviewer. Back to square one...again!

It don't mean nothin. Not a thing.

There's hundreds of stories of people getting good news from flat interviews. Don't let it get to your head, brother.

Meanwhile, I'm still holding my breath from my interview Tuesday. I really wish they would've let me know what their time frame was.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:38 pm

TTH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It don't mean nothin. Not a thing.

There's hundreds of stories of people getting good news from flat interviews. Don't let it get to your head, brother.

Meanwhile, I'm still holding my breath from my interview Tuesday. I really wish they would've let me know what their time frame was.

Agree 100% w this advice

Also TTH bro you know as well as I do timelines as BS

Try not to let it bother you too much

DAT bar and all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:27 pm

So I sometimes study for the bar at an empty office at my new job (used to be in the vale) because it's quiet and there are free drinks and cold AC. So I walk in the back and who do I see but 2 people from the firm that no-offered me. One of the guys hugged me and they seemed genuinely excited to see me. It was weird.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Granted it was for a 2L internship, but I had a horrendous interview once. I'm pretty personable and have never felt like an interview was awkward, but this one was just god awful. Thinking about it still makes me embarrassed. I swear of the 20 or so minutes, 10 of them were filled with awkward silence.

I left thinking I completely bombed it but ended up getting it. I had the opposite experience with another intership a year later. I had the three interviewers laughing and was told I gave "phenomeonal answers to questions." I left thinking it was the best interview I had ever had (to date, it still was) but I didn't get it.

I recognize hiring interviews are different, but a bad interview is still a bad interview and a good interview is a good one. You can't really gauge too much beyond them.

bakedgoldfish

Postby bakedgoldfish » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:25 pm

anonymous person who posted recently about getting an interview at a biglaw firm in Dallas, can you please PM me? I would love to hear about practice area, how you went about getting the interview, etc. Thanks!

Also, if there is anyone kind enough, can they PM with job offerings posted on Symplicity for Texas? I'm in a whole different region that doesn't get any texas postings. Thank you thank you thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:12 am

Was getting pretty despondent this week with not having heard from any of my past interviews and just rejection letters, including some that had a turnaround time of less than a day. But today got a phone interview for next week for a vegas office of a well known national firm (not sure if it is vault, but should at least by NLJ 250)

I'm quite annoyed at my career services for having made no attempts to check in on me as I continue this job search (and not for lack on my end since annoyed the hell out of them while in school), and just realize that I no longer have access to the career resources like Vault. I've been fortunate enough to find some intern housing in NYC so still have flexibility to move away w/out too much cost or hardship.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Was getting pretty despondent this week with not having heard from any of my past interviews and just rejection letters, including some that had a turnaround time of less than a day. But today got a phone interview for next week for a vegas office of a well known national firm (not sure if it is vault, but should at least by NLJ 250)

I'm quite annoyed at my career services for having made no attempts to check in on me as I continue this job search (and not for lack on my end since annoyed the hell out of them while in school), and just realize that I no longer have access to the career resources like Vault. I've been fortunate enough to find some intern housing in NYC so still have flexibility to move away w/out too much cost or hardship.

I dunno if you've lived in Vegas before, but it's fucking awesome. Don't let the naysayers who complain about "lack of culture" sway you. You can buy a house for $100k and use the saved money on gambling, hookers, and other first-rate entertainment. Good luck, brother!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 am

nevdash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was getting pretty despondent this week with not having heard from any of my past interviews and just rejection letters, including some that had a turnaround time of less than a day. But today got a phone interview for next week for a vegas office of a well known national firm (not sure if it is vault, but should at least by NLJ 250)

I dunno if you've lived in Vegas before, but it's fucking awesome. Don't let the naysayers who complain about "lack of culture" sway you. You can buy a house for $100k and use the saved money on gambling, hookers, and other first-rate entertainment. Good luck, brother!

tcr

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:42 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:57 am

ajax adonis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I sometimes study for the bar at an empty office at my new job (used to be in the vale) because it's quiet and there are free drinks and cold AC. So I walk in the back and who do I see but 2 people from the firm that no-offered me. One of the guys hugged me and they seemed genuinely excited to see me. It was weird.

Why were they so excited to see you?

I guess because we were friendly when I worked at the firm. It turns out that those people were in town on their way to some event and just had lunch with someone they knew at my new job.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 am

bakedgoldfish wrote:Also, if there is anyone kind enough, can they PM with job offerings posted on Symplicity for Texas? I'm in a whole different region that doesn't get any texas postings. Thank you thank you thank you!

Ask your career services if they offer career services reciprocity with other schools. I know mine does with most schools. The standard policy permits you to access one other school's symplicity postings. It is one of the little advertised offerings from career services but can definitely be worth it. Not 100% sure they can set it up for alumni, but I'm a graduate and my access has continued.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:37 am

After I pay next month's rent, I'll only have $900 left in my bank account. I feel like the end is coming soon. I just can't find work, I'm worthless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After I pay next month's rent, I'll only have $900 left in my bank account. I feel like the end is coming soon. I just can't find work, I'm worthless.

Please speak to a counselor and reach out to friends and family. You are NOT worthless. The job market is shitty and you are struggling. This too shall pass. Please hang in there and connect with people, OK?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Joining the vale. I am between 2L and 3L with no SA at a t14. For the summer, I am working at a decent firm that only hires experienced people.
Anyone has any advice, is it better to take gunner classes next year or to just lift my GPA for Latin Honors and stuff? I took relatively hard classes this semester, and GPA barely moved. Some people say that honors stuff remain always in your resume, and it kind of annoys me that with the inflation that occurs post-1L I am doing worse than before; on the other hand career services told me to go for real classes to show employees "you know the stuff."

Also, does anyone know when I should mass mail biglaw? Prior to August, after August, September, never? Are there any shitty law jobs that one can temporarily take after graduation and how hard are they to get? I am afraid I might simply run out of money for rent and stuff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Joining the vale. I am between 2L and 3L with no SA at a t14. For the summer, I am working at a decent firm that only hires experienced people.
Anyone has any advice, is it better to take gunner classes next year or to just lift my GPA for Latin Honors and stuff? I took relatively hard classes this semester, and GPA barely moved. Some people say that honors stuff remain always in your resume, and it kind of annoys me that with the inflation that occurs post-1L I am doing worse than before; on the other hand career services told me to go for real classes to show employees "you know the stuff."

Also, does anyone know when I should mass mail biglaw? Prior to August, after August, September, never? Are there any shitty law jobs that one can temporarily take after graduation and how hard are they to get? I am afraid I might simply run out of money for rent and stuff.

Take easy classes to boost your GPA if you can't keep them up/hit latin honors otherwise. Latin honors sticks with you for good, and I recommend going for it if you can manage it while working somewhere during the year. I don't think a small increase in your GPA is going to matter though.

If you can't keep your grades up and work during the year, emphasis needs to be on finding a firm to work at during the year that could take you on. Your grades are what they are - get somewhere and bust your ass and show you're a good addition. Target firms that you've already done coursework in and ask if they're interesting in a law clerk for the year.

eta accidental anon, beach posted this

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Joining the vale. I am between 2L and 3L with no SA at a t14. For the summer, I am working at a decent firm that only hires experienced people.

Take easy courses to boost GPA

But your ability to get a job is largely gonna be based on networking and not just mail bombing everyone

The time when grades were pretty much sufficient to get you the job is long past

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, does anyone know when I should mass mail biglaw? Prior to August, after August, September, never?

do not bother mass-mailing biglaw firms for post-grad. find a firm you can work at part time during the school year.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:40 pm

do not bother mass-mailing biglaw firms for post-grad. find a firm you can work at part time during the school year.

This is NOT TCR. I went to a T2 and had two friends land biglaw from mass mailing during fall of 3L. Its a 5% shot, but it happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Rising 3L jumping into this pool. Going to T2 school not in my target market. Doing government work for the summer in my target market, which is notorious for being insular, but has been described anecdotally as "picking back up." I was born and raised here and still have family in the area. I also spent my 1L summer in the area and managed to make a few connections, but not nearly enough. I've followed up with my contacts, and they've helped me make more contacts, so I'm slowly working my way through lunches, cocktails, and coffees. I've gone to a few networking events, but they were relatively useless. As in, 90% of people attending were unemployed or law students. My grades are OK, but I'm published in a secondary journal. I'm poised to take more practical skills courses and seminars next year, so hopefully my grades will pick up.

I'm not getting my hopes up on getting a job before I pass the bar exam, but just wondering if anyone has any other advice for me besides going to networking events. My ideal first job would be one that provides good trial experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:27 am

I'm from Vegas. Good to hear hiring is picking up some. A few years ago it was ground zero for the recession.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Checking in. :cry:

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Temped to make a SUPER VALE thread.

Poasted today: Special Assistant United States Attorney (Uncompensated). Syracuse. :evil:

Guess kids with school paid fellowships can get the jerb.

Return to “Legal Employment”