The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Omerta

Bronze

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Omerta » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Had a CB Friday which I partly got through some family connects. Said they'd let me know early this week. No calls M or T. Got a bad feeling about this.
Good luck man. I wouldn't be too worried. Shit, I had a clerkship interview over a month ago and the judge hasn't made a decision. I know he hasn't picked someone because I called and asked on Monday.

I have an interview with a Vault firm Friday, so we'll see how that goes.
Ya I just gotta remember theses deadlines mean nothing.

Solid mang, good luck. You get that interview from that round of mass mails earlier this year?
Actually got it out of the simplicity black hole. It actually sounds like a great gig; you work at the firm for 15-20 hours during the school year and you're considered for a 1st year associate spot. I have no idea how much it pays, but if it's 25% of what I made as an SA I'll be fucking thrilled.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Had a CB Friday which I partly got through some family connects. Said they'd let me know early this week. No calls M or T. Got a bad feeling about this.
Good luck man. I wouldn't be too worried. Shit, I had a clerkship interview over a month ago and the judge hasn't made a decision. I know he hasn't picked someone because I called and asked on Monday.

I have an interview with a Vault firm Friday, so we'll see how that goes.
Ya I just gotta remember theses deadlines mean nothing.

Solid mang, good luck. You get that interview from that round of mass mails earlier this year?
Actually got it out of the simplicity black hole. It actually sounds like a great gig; you work at the firm for 15-20 hours during the school year and you're considered for a 1st year associate spot. I have no idea how much it pays, but if it's 25% of what I made as an SA I'll be fucking thrilled.
That would be a good gig bro. I need to pound the pavement looking for a similar arrangement with any size firm for 2nd semester.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Yeah, I have heard of some others doing this with the hope of a full time offer. Wonder how often it pans out?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:43 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:Yeah, I have heard of some others doing this with the hope of a full time offer. Wonder how often it pans out?
Depends on the firm and the need. Regardless, it's better for your resume than taking useless as fuck law classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:48 pm

One more reason to attend a school in the city you want to work in. There are so many more opportunities in my target city (Chicago) that I cannot participate in, and the city I go to school in (St. Louis) where I don't want to live has nothing. Having access to multiple symplicity's, it's so discouraging to see 10x as many postings at a T2 in Chicago than at WUSTL.

I'm in NYC this semester working full time for a government agency in the area I want to practice. It won't lead to a job, but all I can do is pray that it makes my resume better than someone who took bullshit law classes. When I get back to wustl in the spring, I actually have to try so that I can keep/get cum laude when I graduate. If I can't find anything with law review & cum laude from wustl, then I hope Mauritius is as nice as it is in pictures.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Good point. At least if you do a good job you should hopefully be first in line and they could avoid interviewing further.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm

I hear the St. Louis market is pretty bad. WUSTL should have an edge if anyone there I would guess. Has there been much in St. Louis on Simplicity firm wise?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:01 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:I hear the St. Louis market is pretty bad. WUSTL should have an edge if anyone there I would guess. Has there been much in St. Louis on Simplicity firm wise?
For St. Louis, there is one firm job posting for trucking law, one corp internship during semester, and JAG. WUSTL actually loses to SLU in St. Louis, as the alumni base/support of SLU is so much higher than WUSTL for St. Louis. In terms of firms, I can probably count on one hand the number of law firm jobs people have that didn't grow up in St. Louis. Sure self selection, but I know people who were not from St.L and wanted it, but had no luck whatosever.

It's just difficult to network in a city you aren't currently in. In the Spring, I hope to be able to schedule no classes for Thurs/Friday or take classes with no attendance policy for those days, become an Amtrak "frequent flier" and go for broke.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Well, to be a little more positive, I would not expect many 3L private firm positions to be posted yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's just difficult to network in a city you aren't currently in. In the Spring, I hope to be able to schedule no classes for Thurs/Friday or take classes with no attendance policy for those days, become an Amtrak "frequent flier" and go for broke.
I can understand that. I'm finding it's difficult to work connections in my hometown (12 hr drive away).

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:Well, to be a little more positive, I would not expect many 3L private firm positions to be posted yet.
The one possible upside to the situation, yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 pm

One way to get over the geographical issue is to investigate visiting student options.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One way to get over the geographical issue is to investigate visiting student options.
Would it not look weird to leave my PREFTIGIOUS skool to visit at the local TTT?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Some firms will let you work from school though I expect that is rare if you are not in the same town.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One way to get over the geographical issue is to investigate visiting student options.
Would it not look weird to leave my PREFTIGIOUS skool to visit at the local TTT?
A visiting semester isn't a transfer. Right now your access to employers is hobbled. Being unhobbled seems worth the risk.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Interesting, I wonder how this would work with required classes at my school. Time to find out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:09 am

to everyone looking - inlaw.me could be a useful resource. lots of job openings on there of all kinds.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 am

3L Job Search Strategies school event coming up. Are these events useful at all.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L Job Search Strategies school event coming up. Are these events useful at all.
$5 says the advice is "network."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L Job Search Strategies school event coming up. Are these events useful at all.
$5 says the advice is "network."
Columbia had one, then it suddenly changed title to postgraduate job search w/ lots of llms showing up and a presentation by a guy on the power of linkin.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:16 am

Problem with these things is they are worthless and no one goes since then everyone knows they don't have a job.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:08 pm

TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:
Chin up bro. I bet you're going to get good news.
If I get the offer I'll mail you a 5th of whiskey in celebration.
Well shit, now I really want you to get it. :lol:
Update: got email telling me they're taking a long time, to keep waiting for a while, and to not accept anything without contacting them first. Definitely better than rejection.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:Update: got email telling me they're taking a long time, to keep waiting for a while, and to not accept anything without contacting them first. Definitely better than rejection.
Translation: we don't want to commit to hiring someone this far in advance, but we're interested in hiring you.

Sounds like good news to me bro. Hope it pans out for you.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Update: got email telling me they're taking a long time, to keep waiting for a while, and to not accept anything without contacting them first. Definitely better than rejection.
Translation: we don't want to commit to hiring someone this far in advance, but we're interested in hiring you.

Sounds like good news to me bro. Hope it pans out for you.
Yeah me too. Their time frame reference was about a week and a half though, so maybe I'll hear around then. Who knows.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”