The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 pm

TTH wrote:Developments in this upcoming interview. They asked me to clear my entire afternoon, and I'm meeting with five people. Of the five people, the GC is old friends with the Prof who referred me to the job. The number three guy in their legal dep't is an alum of my summer firm who called his bros here, who gave me glowing references, and the low guy on the totem pole was a classmate of an associate at my firm, and the associate put a word in for me with that guy.

I'm too beaten down at this point to have actual hope, but goddamnit if that's not a fortunate string of events.

Dude you seem like a cool and competent individual

I have faith dude

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Stop being dramatic. Just take the bar and get a job. I don't know your stats, but at this point its all about fit and network. Every state has attorney jobs after the bar. Some of these are at big firms, some are with solos. Regardless, if you have a niche focus and a good network that knows you are supplying that demand, you have just done a lot to find yourself a job.

And they want 3-5 years experience too. Besides, taking the bar means nothing. Still need to pass it. Then pass character and fitness. And so on. That is almost a year before I'm sworn in. I can't be jobless until then. I literally, financially cannot be jobless.

I took and passed the Feb NY bar, and it hasn't really helped me much in the job hunt yet. I'm currently working in a govt agency through a school fellowship, but I'm not getting any great leads to actual employment. I need to start reaching out to contacts and firms, but have become exhausted from all this stuff after all the effort I put in the last couple years with no results.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:02 pm

I don't think I even want to be a lawyer anymore. I'm so sick of applying for jobs. I hate the law.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I don't think I even want to be a lawyer anymore. I'm so sick of applying for jobs. I hate the law.

Head up brother. You're clearly wasted on the law and should be selling stories for a living, but until you're ready to take that plunge, keep hustlin' for a steady check. We'll get there eventually.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I don't think I even want to be a lawyer anymore. I'm so sick of applying for jobs. I hate the law.

I feel the opposite. I can't wait to be a real, practicing lawyer. It's just finding that job that's such a pain in the ass.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Not to get too excited, but I just got invited to lunch with the firm I interviewed with today.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:07 pm

kalvano wrote:Not to get too excited, but I just got invited to lunch with the firm I interviewed with today.

That's worth some cautious enthusiasm

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Got any other ideas?

That's not meant as a challenge

If you got a legit idea of something you like more

That's not just "grass is greener" BS

Then it might be worth it

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Got any other ideas?

I have no idea what else I could do. But the thought of being a lawyer forever sounds miserable to me now

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Got any other ideas?

I have no idea what else I could do. But the thought of being a lawyer forever sounds miserable to me now

LT: from what I've read from your posts you have a natural engagement and positive attitude about life. You just got married. You finished school. Your life is coming together. You are a lucky person in many respects.

Don't let the job search get you so down. Just look at it as a grind or a challenge you have to face. You will figure it out.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not to get too excited, but I just got invited to lunch with the firm I interviewed with today.

That's worth some cautious enthusiasm

Always a great sign. Good luck.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Met with my professor who sent my resume to the job this morning, and it sounds like a better and better fit. There are three other candidates interviewing, tho, but one has already been crossed off the list.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:26 pm

TTH wrote:Met with my professor who sent my resume to the job this morning, and it sounds like a better and better fit. There are three other candidates interviewing, tho, but one has already been crossed off the list.

I like dem odds

Keep us apprised

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:Developments in this upcoming interview. They asked me to clear my entire afternoon, and I'm meeting with five people. Of the five people, the GC is old friends with the Prof who referred me to the job. The number three guy in their legal dep't is an alum of my summer firm who called his bros here, who gave me glowing references, and the low guy on the totem pole was a classmate of an associate at my firm, and the associate put a word in for me with that guy.

I'm too beaten down at this point to have actual hope, but goddamnit if that's not a fortunate string of events.

Dude you seem like a cool and competent individual

I have faith dude

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Got any other ideas?

I'm in the same boat with regards to not even wanting to be a lawyer anymore, and I think we have similar backgrounds from previous conversations in this thread. Because of that, studying for the bar has been damn near impossible. I'm on day 3 when I should be on day 8. The whole concept of the bar is so outdated: let's pick a state in February and then cancel out opportunities in 49 other states! I'm just going to get through as much of it as I can and see what happens.
With regards to what else to do, I'm not sure either. I'm just going to give my resume to every single friend I have and ask it to pass it along to their HR. That and blast every large company with my resume and cover letter talking about my personal situation and see what happens. I have a 3.85 in undergrad and a 3.66 in law school. If I can't get a job from that then it's only me to blame. I'd get into sales before I took a 50k lawyer job.

In other news, I did the entire law school semester in 2 weeks - 2 in class exams, one take home, and a 25 page paper - and got my second best semester ever. I didn't read a single case in any class. I was so far behind that I had one day to learn corporate tax, hooray for outline dumping someone else's outline!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:38 pm

I think skype interviews are way more stressful than normal ones. I really hope that went ok - I forgot my main selling point (that I'm awesome at research)- but, I feel like I otherwise came up with decent answers to hard questions - hopefully.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:41 pm

So it's a good thing when you spend all lunch talking about cars and stuff, right?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:41 pm

kalvano wrote:So it's a good thing when you spend all lunch talking about cars and stuff, right?

Yup. People hire people they like.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Finally! Watching Top Gear may have paid off in other ways besides supreme enjoyment of TV.

Salary + bonus + jeans and a polo dress code + 1800 billables = me soiling myself if I get the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:58 pm

I would do anything for a job at this point

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:58 pm

TTH wrote:Met with my professor who sent my resume to the job this morning, and it sounds like a better and better fit. There are three other candidates interviewing, tho, but one has already been crossed off the list.

Best of luck dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:12 pm

My school's kind enough to give the unemployed grads some sort of (very low paying) fellowship if they grab a public interest job, so I'm looking around at some public interest opportunities that would dovetail with my interests, and it's actually a somewhat competitive process to get some of these. When you're telling me that I have to compete with other people for the honor of working for someone for free, it makes me realize that I should have just become an engineer.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:56 am

They just re-posted the job I interviewed for. Should I even bother with a thank-you note now?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:02 am

Re-posting isn't a good sign. Whenever we re-post a lawyer slot (state agency) it's because the interview panel couldn't agree to make an offer to ANY applicant. I imagine it's the same in private practice.

Frankly, although the Miss Manners in me says send a thank-you note the bitter old man in me says "Don't bother". They're not even remotely interested in hearing from you again.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:08 am

BeautifulSW wrote:Re-posting isn't a good sign. Whenever we re-post a lawyer slot (state agency) it's because the interview panel couldn't agree to make an offer to ANY applicant. I imagine it's the same in private practice.

Frankly, although the Miss Manners in me says send a thank-you note the bitter old man in me says "Don't bother". They're not even remotely interested in hearing from you again.

Yeah, this is government. The only thing that makes me think maybe there is still a shot is that there are 14 spots available.

Return to “Legal Employment”