The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Flarmanarnar

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Flarmanarnar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does the 3L hiring timeline happen a little slower than 2L? I had what I thought was a on-the-spot CB for a screener I had last week but they've yet to reach out.

Generally, yes - it’s slower but I’m assuming you had an on campus interview, right? If so, it depends on the firm re: 3L CB’s. For Quinn’s 3L OCI process I heard they were really slow (and at some schools nonexistent) regarding giving CB’s. Not sure about other OCI firms though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Flarmanarnar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does the 3L hiring timeline happen a little slower than 2L? I had what I thought was a on-the-spot CB for a screener I had last week but they've yet to reach out.

Generally, yes - it’s slower but I’m assuming you had an on campus interview, right? If so, it depends on the firm re: 3L CB’s. For Quinn’s 3L OCI process I heard they were really slow (and at some schools nonexistent) regarding giving CB’s. Not sure about other OCI firms though.

It was at a job fair, so probably along the same lines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:47 am

For those of you saying target specific practice areas, how do you go about saying this in a cover letter? Is saying "I am applying for a litigation associate position" too broad (i.e., Should I be more specific and say a practice area within litigation, like "white-collar" position)? Thank you in advance.

MGH1989

Bronze

Postby MGH1989 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Took almost a year, but I'm out of the vale. It sounds cliche, but honestly you just have to keep pushing and shooting your shot. I felt hopeless at so many points and this just fell in my lap out of nowhere it seemed liked. If I can get out, I promise anyone can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:01 pm

I agree. Even if you have to accept an offer that you don't like. Keep interviewing up until right before you need to start if need be until you find something better. I accepting an offer that was terrible and I kept interviewing for another 4 months. Ended up with an insane offer right at the very end and reneged on the earlier sh*tty offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:03 pm

sunbun28 wrote:Unsure how many still here are seeking public interest positions, but I'll give this a shot to see if anyone has an answer for me.
I applied to LSNYC and received a "conditional offer." I am not entirely sure on what it is conditioned, but I am currently going through what is called the "rostering" process. Had a recent interview-like phone call with a project director, who told me that they would be in touch soon.

Does anyone know if a "conditional offer" is given only to those LSNYC is genuinely going to hire, and if rostering is just more of a formality? Or do they give conditional offers to like 100 people and only finalize offers for 50? Because when I was given the offer initially, I assumed it was more final than perhaps it was.

So, TL;DR, how legit is a "conditional offer" with LSNYC, and what exactly does the rostering process entail?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help! I graduated in May, so fingers crossed for a final offer. :?

Can I ask which department you got this conditional offer in with LSNYC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally out of the vale!!!!!

Big law in a major market in a niche corporate practice group.

2019 T2 grad with just below median grades. I didn't do great my first year but I compensated that by interning every semester after 1L summer and by participating on journal and clinic. Additionally I took practically every "corporate law" course my school offered: seg reg, m&a, banking regulation, ect.

Ive lurked this forum since before law school so I want this to be an inspiration to anyone that is still in the vale - if i can make it out so can you! Im a first generation college and law student and all through law school I constantly felt like I wasn't good enough or that I would never get a job. Regardless of my pessimism I kept applying to job postings and one finally stuck.

Good luck to everyone and don't give up!!!!

First of all, congratulations! And thank you for the rare beam of hope.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm a 2018 graduate of a top 20 school and also a first generation student and below-median. I incurred the extra $100k of debt by going to a more highly ranked school in hopes that the investment would pan out. It has not, and I'm currently doing pretty un-prestigious state government work.

I have received absolutely zero interviews in BigLaw and am getting about one interview for every hundred or so applications, despite being very geographically open.

Any advice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:47 am

I took on 200k in debt to go to a 'prestigious' T14, but here I am a jobless and severely depressed 3L.

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I took on 200k in debt to go to a 'prestigious' T14, but here I am a jobless and severely depressed 3L.

Your school is orienting you to a very narrow band of jobs. If you’re willing to move, you can get a job as an attorney the day you get a bar card.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I took on 200k in debt to go to a 'prestigious' T14, but here I am a jobless and severely depressed 3L.

Same here. I don't know if I'm just unlikeable to big law firms after all those interviews

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Same here. I don't know if I'm just unlikeable to big law firms after all those interviews

If the only two outcomes for you in law school were biglaw and severe depression you should not have gone to law school. There are hundreds of cool jobs that will make a difference and forgive your loans after 10 years, and if you wanted the money instead of the cool job you should have gone to business school.

ellakb

New

Postby ellakb » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Does anyone know if there is an advantage to applying to a job on your school's symplicity vs emailing your materials to the email on their general job posting?

Basically I applied to my dream fellowship a few days ago when it was only listed on the org's website, and now it just got posted on my school's symplicity and has the option of submitting your application through the symplicity form instead of the email from the initial posting, and I'm wondering if I put myself at a disadvantage by applying the more general way.

I feel like it probably doesn't matter, but as a desperate job hunting 3L I am paranoid about such things lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Others might have a different take on this, but imo it won't hurt you to apply through Symp again, but the better approach might be to e-mail then and ask if they will prefer you to do so.

I had the exact same issue with a firm posting a couple of months ago. I e-mailed the firm contact, asking if they would prefer me to send my application through Symp too. They said, they had my application so there was no need, but I think at worst that meant they probably checked that they indeed had my application. And, I can say for sure that it did not hurt my application.

ellakb wrote:Does anyone know if there is an advantage to applying to a job on your school's symplicity vs emailing your materials to the email on their general job posting?

Basically I applied to my dream fellowship a few days ago when it was only listed on the org's website, and now it just got posted on my school's symplicity and has the option of submitting your application through the symplicity form instead of the email from the initial posting, and I'm wondering if I put myself at a disadvantage by applying the more general way.

I feel like it probably doesn't matter, but as a desperate job hunting 3L I am paranoid about such things lol

Gus Fring

New

Postby Gus Fring » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:14 pm

andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If the only two outcomes for you in law school were biglaw and severe depression you should not have gone to law school. There are hundreds of cool jobs that will make a difference and forgive your loans after 10 years, and if you wanted the money instead of the cool job you should have gone to business school.

Being a public defender or prosecutor isn't a cool job
Last edited by QContinuum on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:12 pm

A few days ago I learned that I failed the UBE. I was hoping that things would be easier once I'm admitted. Now it seems the earliest time (if everything goes well) for me to be licensed would be April 2020. Does anyone have any idea about looking for a job while you haven't passed the bar? I feel that I'm in even shittier position. It's super depressing when you have to study for the bar without anything lining up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:15 pm

Hello vale readers, I'm sipping on some whiskey and reflecting on my own misfortunes in this unforgiving and treacherous profession of law. After my summer associate gig with biglaw I received a "no-offer" because, as they stated, "there were problems with your writing." I recovered by landing a prestigious clerkship out of law school, and received daily verbal abuse from the deputy clerk to the point of tears nearly every day. When I talked back to her and put her in her place, the judge told me to consider leaving the clerkship early. After the clerkship, I worked for a firm for a while and then I was laid off, they said "we don't have enough work to keep you busy." Worked at another firm for a while and was laid off again, they said "we don't have enough work to keep you busy." Got an offer from a prestigious biglaw firm, only to have that offer rescinded before acceptance because "you asked too many questions." There's no happy endings here, only temporary security until someone decides that you're a liability on their balance sheet and decides to get rid of you. Chances are, people in the vale now will be back soon, just like me. Fuck this profession

Return to “Legal Employment?