The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rcharter1978

Gold

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby rcharter1978 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Feeling rly depressed today. It’s been about a month after my lay off and still no offers. I realize it is year end but I am still not feeling great about my job prospects. Some days I want to say fuck it and leave the practice of law entirely. Working at a bank making 60-70k with good benefits seems tempting. Any job other than law seems tempting at this point... :oops:

This is the nature of the beast. Keep working on it, it just takes one prospect to work out. That's all. I hated the job search and it sucked all the monkey balls in the world, and then suddenly I had two job offers. Just do the best you can and don't beat yourself up when you take a day to stew and feel sorry for yourself. And then get and get back at it!

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:23 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:Yeah, I'm no hiring partner, but I'd be pretty put off if I directly asked a candidate about their grades and their reply was "grades don't matter."

Agree with the above. I hope no jobseeker follows that advice. Being combative with the interviewer is an awful strategy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Recent grad here -- I struggled to find a full-time job until I finally passed the California bar.

I've been applying for jobs since August. Out of 300 applications (all public interest employers), I managed to get 15 interviews. Out of those interviews, I finally got an offer. It was definitely a roller coaster ride, but staying optimistic and grinding every day goes a long way. Things will work out!

Return to “Legal Employment?