The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 11, 2013 3:53 am

Just checking in to remind people that hope is not (completely) lost at this point.

Buddy of mine just scored a CB at a Biglaw firm (well within the V100). Our career services office didn't even know the opening existed, he just found it himself by hitting up recruiters.

It's not a job, but it's something. Certainly better than anything that I've found lately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm just not getting responses for posted positions at this point. My cover letters are tailored, edited and re-edited and I am well within the qualifications. I really don't know what is happening, unless its gonna be one of those two-months-later interviews that I have some experience with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Anyone care to run away to Russia with me? I know at least one university that is offering free tuition and free housing. They have programs in English if you don't happen to speak Russian.

I know how to say hi in Russian ("priviet") so sure, I'll do it. lol

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon May 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone care to run away to Russia with me? I know at least one university that is offering free tuition and free housing. They have programs in English if you don't happen to speak Russian.

I know how to say hi in Russian ("priviet") so sure, I'll do it. lol

Sweet. See you there. http://www.hse.ru/org/hse/istudents/

I'm #1 on this list: http://istudents.hse.ru/news/68115592.html

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Bro, don't tempt me! lol.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Getting off the hamster wheel. Just filed the PLLC papers with my state today and opening up my doors for business by the end of the month. Doing IP and property transfers. Already have four prospective clients. I'm going solo damnit!

Balls the size of planets bro

Please keep us updated

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 3:04 am

SPAM

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue May 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Fellow Valeans I need some advice. I got a job interview for a fairly crappy position, a year long 35k nonprestigious fellowship. The problem is it is in Chicago and I am in California for my wedding. Wedding is the 26th, interview is on the 22nd. Is it worth flying back for? Money is pretty tight right now. But this is the first job interview I've had in months

I also got a response today from a firm asking for a writing sample. That's more than I've gotten in a long time too.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Fellow Valeans I need some advice. I got a job interview for a fairly crappy position, a year long 35k nonprestigious fellowship. The problem is it is in Chicago and I am in California for my wedding. Wedding is the 26th, interview is on the 22nd. Is it worth flying back for? Money is pretty tight right now. But this is the first job interview I've had in months

I also got a response today from a firm asking for a writing sample. That's more than I've gotten in a long time too.

Did you ask if it's possible to do a phone or skype interview? If you mention your wedding, that's a pretty big deal, so, they might be willing to do it. Especially if they are public interest and the position isn't permanent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 11:58 pm

Left the Vale. Received a district court clerkship offer in my ideal district. Can't even put the feeling into words.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2013 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Left the Vale. Received a district court clerkship offer in my ideal district. Can't even put the feeling into words.

Congrats! Imagine how much thirstier you are going to be when you actually enter your eventual firm than your peers that had the position handed to them on a platter. You are going to kill it!

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed May 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

I emailed them this morning asking about the possibility of alternatives. Then just now I got an email from the firm that asked for a writing sample. They want me to come in for an interview. They gave me a range of dates to choose from, including the day of, the day before, or the day after the fellowship interview.

I'm flying back now aren't I?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 pm

^ Both are in Chicago?

So what do us current valers do while we wait for bar results? Apparently I won't even be sworn in if I pass the NY Bar until like March/April next year. The heck do I do with my life until then?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu May 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Fellow Valeans I need some advice. I got a job interview for a fairly crappy position, a year long 35k nonprestigious fellowship. The problem is it is in Chicago and I am in California for my wedding. Wedding is the 26th, interview is on the 22nd. Is it worth flying back for? Money is pretty tight right now. But this is the first job interview I've had in months

Solicit funds from the lounge

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Hey so what do most of you fellow Valeans plan to do about large loans? Assuming most of us don't find a large paying job by November, do most of you guys plan on doing IBR? Any good options out there for how to manage debt?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu May 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey so what do most of you fellow Valeans plan to do about large loans? Assuming most of us don't find a large paying job by November, do most of you guys plan on doing IBR? Any good options out there for how to manage debt?

Your payment on IBR is $0.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 pm

IBR = $0 so I'm not worried about those at all. My private undergrad loans is what I am really worried about and will likely have to defer for at least 6 more months after grace period.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:IBR = $0 so I'm not worried about those at all. My private undergrad loans is what I am really worried about and will likely have to defer for at least 6 more months after grace period.

Thank God, I guess I'll do the same....too bad the interest cant be forebeared as well.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 pm

I know it's not much but I FINALLY got an interview (my first of the year) for the NYS Senate Fellowship which I really wanted. And they were nice enough to do a skype interview and I just found out my best friend is moving to Albany, so, I'm very excited. It just feels like a ray of hope. I hope I don't fuck up the interview.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I know it's not much but I FINALLY got an interview (my first of the year) for the NYS Senate Fellowship which I really wanted. And they were nice enough to do a skype interview and I just found out my best friend is moving to Albany, so, I'm very excited. It just feels like a ray of hope. I hope I don't fuck up the interview.

Happy for you kiddo

You'll do great

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I know it's not much but I FINALLY got an interview (my first of the year) for the NYS Senate Fellowship which I really wanted. And they were nice enough to do a skype interview and I just found out my best friend is moving to Albany, so, I'm very excited. It just feels like a ray of hope. I hope I don't fuck up the interview.

Happy for you kiddo

You'll do great

She just called me back, because I guess there are a lot of logistics for a skype interview and they don't often do it - and I asked which Fellowship specifically I was being interviewed for. She says - well, all of them - although I see you are a horrible fit for these two. So, I'm off to a good start. haha. But thank you!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 am

So what are "staff attorney" positions at large firms? Not associate-track, from their job postings, but what do they do? Worth applying for? Or do they look bad on a résumé?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am

kalvano wrote:So what are "staff attorney" positions at large firms? Not associate-track, from their job postings, but what do they do? Worth applying for? Or do they look bad on a résumé?

sounds like permanent doc review, or doc review manager

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am

kalvano wrote:So what are "staff attorney" positions at large firms? Not associate-track, from their job postings, but what do they do? Worth applying for? Or do they look bad on a résumé?

Depends on the firm I think

One of my bros got a position as a staff atty but they told him he'd be doing a lot of the stuff regular associates do

Whether that's true or not remains to be seen

Not sure how it looks on a resume - staff atty at large firms seems to be a fairly newer thing

I mean I suppose it's worth applying for

Return to “Legal Employment”