The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

snowpeach06

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:10 pm

What do you guys think about applying for multiple positions with the same organization? Perhaps I'm over-thinking it, and my resume will get sent to both departments and it won't make a difference, but, I keep thinking it might indicate that I just want a job and have no particular passion for the particular department.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:55 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:What do you guys think about applying for multiple positions with the same organization? Perhaps I'm over-thinking it, and my resume will get sent to both departments and it won't make a difference, but, I keep thinking it might indicate that I just want a job and have no particular passion for the particular department.

When I've been worried about this, I've staggered the two applications. Send one. Wait a week or two and send the other. Ultimately I don't think it's something to worry about. If they like what they see, they like what they see; if they don't, they don't. Then again I'm jobless so what the heck do I know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Welp gang I got Dinged from an NLJ250 firm today (I'm the guy who posted a few pages back with great fanfare).

Who wants to buy my law license, my pathetic $20/hr staff attorney job, and my middling life? I'm taking proposals on aisle 5 of The Washed Up Generation Y Supermarket.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed May 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for your ongoing efforts.

Anonymous User wrote:Welp gang I got Dinged from an NLJ250 firm today (I'm the guy who posted a few pages back with great fanfare).

Who wants to buy my law license, my pathetic $20/hr staff attorney job, and my middling life? I'm taking proposals on aisle 5 of The Washed Up Generation Y Supermarket.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 am

I don't know what to do anymore. I have nothing to look forward to except bills, and I have no freaking clue where I can work. Even non-law jobs will be asking me why I'm applying there when I have a J.D. Is life worth living like this?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu May 09, 2013 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know what to do anymore. I have nothing to look forward to except bills, and I have no freaking clue where I can work. Even non-law jobs will be asking me why I'm applying there when I have a J.D. Is life worth living like this?

Life is definitely worth living. Hang in there brother. Grand Theft Auto V comes out in September. I'll probably have to donate plasma to get it, but I mean that's something to look forward to

Seriously, we still have the hope of after the bar hiring. Don't give up yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know what to do anymore. I have nothing to look forward to except bills, and I have no freaking clue where I can work. Even non-law jobs will be asking me why I'm applying there when I have a J.D. Is life worth living like this?

My friend has a plan, it goes like so:

1) Find a one year position;
2) Enroll in a one-year MS in CS program at their self-same law school;
3) Hit the entry-level IP market hard/ see if their school will let them do 2L OCI and apply to firms as a "JD/MS in CS."

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 am

You need to go see a counselor. Now. Do nothing before you do that. I'm absolutely serious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 am

Getting off the hamster wheel. Just filed the PLLC papers with my state today and opening up my doors for business by the end of the month. Doing IP and property transfers. Already have four prospective clients. I'm going solo damnit!

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Thu May 09, 2013 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Getting off the hamster wheel. Just filed the PLLC papers with my state today and opening up my doors for business by the end of the month. Doing IP and property transfers. Already have four prospective clients. I'm going solo damnit!

Awesome!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu May 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Getting off the hamster wheel. Just filed the PLLC papers with my state today and opening up my doors for business by the end of the month. Doing IP and property transfers. Already have four prospective clients. I'm going solo damnit!

Ballsy. Any chance you'll un-anon in the future and keep us updated.

::Hugs:: Walk it back, duder. At the end of the day, it's money, not a death sentence. Yeah, it may suck for a while, but it probably won't suck forever.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm

What's more sad? That he actually spent way more money trying to win a Kinect than going to a store and buying one or that his "life savings" is only $2600?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

What's more sad? That he actually spent way more money trying to win a Kinect than going to a store and buying one or that his "life savings" is only $2600?

Better off than me. My "life savings" is -$150K.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Balls the size of planets bro

Please keep us updated

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Anyone care to run away to Russia with me? I know at least one university that is offering free tuition and free housing. They have programs in English if you don't happen to speak Russian.
Last edited by Danteshek on Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent

Postby Agent » Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Good luck to you. HTH:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Big luls firm said they'd let me know about an interview sometime this week. She remembered my name, which was nice, so I'm hoping that they don't send a lol thanks but no thanks letter my way. Lack of positive news on that front is making me jittery.

Nope. I'm doing a solid job of bombing my finals, too. Damn.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

My friend has a plan, it goes like so:

1) Find a one year position;
2) Enroll in a one-year MS in CS program at their self-same law school;
3) Hit the entry-level IP market hard/ see if their school will let them do 2L OCI and apply to firms as a "JD/MS in CS."

That is a horrible idea. MS in CS isn't an IP degree for the purposes of IP-specific legal hiring.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 am

Another round of "please hire me" stuff is imminent. Curious if people think I should go ahead and do it now, or wait a week until I have my final GPA and honors to put on my resume?

My GPA should be going up, barring catastrophic failure, and honors are guaranteed.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 10, 2013 1:00 am

kalvano wrote:Another round of "please hire me" stuff is imminent. Curious if people think I should go ahead and do it now, or wait a week until I have my final GPA and honors to put on my resume?

My GPA should be going up, barring catastrophic failure, and honors are guaranteed.

I haven't found GPA to be all the important for some of the small firm/local govt stuff, if that matters

HansSolo

Postby HansSolo » Fri May 10, 2013 10:53 am

Bikeflip wrote:
Ballsy. Any chance you'll un-anon in the future and keep us updated.

rad lulz wrote:Balls the size of planets bro

Please keep us updated

To start fresh, I decided to create a new account. Just some quick facts: I'm a 2012 grad, top 10% from top 25 school.

I will post all updates on my solo practice under this name. This weekend I am planning to start a threat where I will talk about forming a solo practice, why I decided to go solo (besides out of basic necessity), and provide the resources I am using. The thread will be designed to be a support group where all fellow law grads turned solos can go to collaborate on practice development ideas.

Stay tuned.

Agent wrote:Good luck to you. HTH:

Thanks; this list is great!

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Fri May 10, 2013 11:25 am

Remember to check out your local bar association, it may have a solo or small law practice committee.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri May 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Rising 3L so I can't apply to this job.. but if anyone is looking for something in Pennsylvania I found this on OSCAR that starts very soon and also only has about a 6 day window for applying.. decent salary.. working for five magistrates with possibility of renewal if there is funding.. five judges might be nice for more exit options also..

Says Harrisburg/Williamsport/Scranton. So maybe you'd be traveling a bit cuz these are not really all that close

Judge Martin Carlson

Clerkship Type:
Term Law Clerk-Chambers

Clerkship Term:
Temporary

Term Start:
May 19, 2013

Term End:
September 29, 2013

Accepting Applications:
May 09, 2013 - May 15, 2013

Interview Dates:
As soon as practicable

Description:
A temporary emergency law clerk position assisting five U.S. Magistrate Judges on a rotating basis in research, writing and the preparation of opinions, orders and reports and recommendations. Excellent research and writing skills are required along with the ability to work well with others. The position is subject to 6 month extensions, contingent upon funding approval. In addition to the requirements set forth in the job announcement, please provide any other law school distinctions or other practical, professional experience.

Salary: $57,408

Return to “Legal Employment”