The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ugh, this is becoming more and more of an emotional rollercoaster. Two weeks ago I had two phone interviews at two-midsized firms in two separate markets I was interested in. Then an email from a smaller third firm asking if I was still interested. Now all I hear are crickets coupled with a few rejection letters from other firms I applied at.

My dumbass keeps reminiscing about an unreachable lifestyle beyond the vale. If I get hired at the midsize firm, I would be making $140K/year. I've been going on the websites of apartments in the trender parts of town and think about how cool it will be to come home to a nice place after work. And I'm not talking about a crazy place, but a "modest" apartment in a big city with rent in the $1200-1400/month range. Instead, I will have to downsize from my $800/month studio and look for an apartment in the $500/month range. This law school experience gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "one step forward, two steps back." FML

As soon as I left the Vale I was like "so stoked to go home; can't wait to buy guns."

It's the simple things

Keep us updated anon

Got the rejection email from the Denver interview today. Now waiting for the email from the firm in my home-market to complete a matching set.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:21 pm

just curiously, the people that have callbacks or have recently had them, how are you getting them? Symplicity? Networking? Posted on firm's websites?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Well I promised details on my callback.

I survived! Overall felt really positive about the interviews. Tried to relate all of my strengths and capabilities to the requirements of the position and bond with each interviewer. I'm sure if I replay the whole day in my head I could nit pick this little thing or that but what's the point, really? I prepared, showed everyone my true self, and held a professional air throughout the day. There were no awkward silences, interviews felt like they flew by, and lunch was genuinely enjoyable.

Now its the waiting game. Don't know how many other people are interviewing but recruiting coordinator said I should hear back within the next 2 weeks. Fingers crossed fellow vale members!

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well I promised details on my callback.

I survived! Overall felt really positive about the interviews. Tried to relate all of my strengths and capabilities to the requirements of the position and bond with each interviewer. I'm sure if I replay the whole day in my head I could nit pick this little thing or that but what's the point, really? I prepared, showed everyone my true self, and held a professional air throughout the day. There were no awkward silences, interviews felt like they flew by, and lunch was genuinely enjoyable.

Now its the waiting game. Don't know how many other people are interviewing but recruiting coordinator said I should hear back within the next 2 weeks. Fingers crossed fellow vale members!

Good luck brother.

It's been so long since I had an interview I think I forgot how to do it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 pm

You did all you can do bro

Good shit

And good luck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:36 pm

TTH wrote:

Good luck brother.

It's been so long since I had an interview I think I forgot how to do it.

I think it's a lot like dating. Focus a lot on them, bring the conversation back to your positive attributes where possible, and if all else fails just get blisteringly drunk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ugh, this is becoming more and more of an emotional rollercoaster. Two weeks ago I had two phone interviews at two-midsized firms in two separate markets I was interested in. Then an email from a smaller third firm asking if I was still interested. Now all I hear are crickets coupled with a few rejection letters from other firms I applied at.

My dumbass keeps reminiscing about an unreachable lifestyle beyond the vale. If I get hired at the midsize firm, I would be making $140K/year. I've been going on the websites of apartments in the trender parts of town and think about how cool it will be to come home to a nice place after work. And I'm not talking about a crazy place, but a "modest" apartment in a big city with rent in the $1200-1400/month range. Instead, I will have to downsize from my $800/month studio and look for an apartment in the $500/month range. This law school experience gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "one step forward, two steps back." FML

As soon as I left the Vale I was like "so stoked to go home; can't wait to buy guns."

It's the simple things

Keep us updated anon

Got the rejection email from the Denver interview today. Now waiting for the email from the firm in my home-market to complete a matching set.

Was the firm MLA? I don't know anyone else in Denver still hiring. MLA called me a few weeks ago (maybe a month) ago for an interview, we set up a time, and then they emailed me a rejection letter before the interview. lol, wtf

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was the firm MLA? I don't know anyone else in Denver still hiring. MLA called me a few weeks ago (maybe a month) ago for an interview, we set up a time, and then they emailed me a rejection letter before the interview. lol, wtf

Alpha move on their part.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Hey guys, Ive been reading this thread for a long time. I am off the Vale. I accepted a job today. I went from completely unemployed to receiving two offers in the last week, one through my school and another through networking. Never give up, I sent like 300 emails to alumni and applied to like 100 positions, many of which I did not qualify for.

NEVER GIVE UP!

Info. Top 25 school, top 20 percent, accepted Big law offer.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, Ive been reading this thread for a long time. I am off the Vale. I accepted a job today. I went from completely unemployed to receiving two offers in the last week, one through my school and another through networking. Never give up, I sent like 300 emails to alumni and applied to like 100 positions, many of which I did not qualify for.

NEVER GIVE UP!

Info. Top 25 school, top 20 percent, accepted Big law offer.

Congrats on leaving the vale bro

Take a break from exams to celebrate

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Hey guyz sooo I'm semi-outta the vale now. I heard back from this small firm today after having an interview with them like 4m ago. They essentially offered me a part time (50/hr week) position with them. Unfortunately the pay ($11/hr) + COL (firm is located in really big city) will not be great, however there main pitch to me is that they can offer me experience doing the type of work I want to do while hopefully being able to mkt myself elsewhere....

I may be living on food stamps for a while...but atleast I'll be doing law related work in the city I want to be in. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do? They want a decision in a couple wks! Gracias.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guyz sooo I'm semi-outta the vale now. I heard back from this small firm today after having an interview with them like 4m ago. They essentially offered me a part time (50/hr week) position with them. Unfortunately the pay ($11/hr) + COL (firm is located in really big city) will not be great, however there main pitch to me is that they can offer me experience doing the type of work I want to do while hopefully being able to mkt myself elsewhere....

I may be living on food stamps for a while...but atleast I'll be doing law related work in the city I want to be in. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do? They want a decision in a couple wks! Gracias.

Take it and keep looking?

They don't seem like they'll give one shit if you leave

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

I give up on searching. Not much on Symplicity, and hundreds of emails to local firms later with "thanks but we aren't looking"...I'm just going to finish exams, make sure I get honors for graduation, and chill for a couple weeks. Hopefully the market will pick up over the summer. But right now, I'm just fucking done. I can't compose another bullshit email, and I don't want to be ignored or get a stock response again for a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 pm

This has to be the worst response I have received yet ... "We were impressed with your capabilities and agree you have a great deal to offer. However, we concluded that there does not seem to be a close enough match between your strengths and abilities and our particular requirements ..." I mean isn't there a better way to tell me that I suck? lol No CB for me I guess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Jesus, while I knew my odds were bad going into law school, I had no idea they were going to be British junior officer at the Somme bad.

T30, just outside 10%, pre law school WE, significant intern experience, clerked for a firm in my practice area.

Admittedly I've been getting looks from firms in my MW state, but always get slammed by the "competitive candidate pool." i.e. Top 1/3 T-14s that have resigned to slumming it for a few years in MW

Honestly employers, you think the guy/girl from HYS is going to hang around for more than a couple years in flyover country as they so call it?

Also, don't get me started on assholes that get biglaw decide to clerk, and yet still have their offer held open for a year or two. In my book that means you quit and your position is back up for grabs. Shit, half those people see clerking as their stepping stone to becoming a professor anyway.

rabblerabblerabblerabble

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Jesus, while I knew my odds were bad going into law school, I had no idea they were going to be British junior officer at the Somme bad.

I lold bro; this is funny

whisker

Postby whisker » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm a long-time lurker and I officially left the vale. I received two offers in the last week, one firm in the city I went to college in a larger market than my law school and one corporate in-house. I'm still deciding but leaning towards the firm. To echo the previous posters, DON'T EVER GIVE UP. I have enough rejection letters to wall paper my apartment, but you have to keep pushing! Both were from Symplicity, so keep checking and keep applying!

Stats: Top 40 school, 25%, secondary journal, active in moot court.

Good luck to all bros and lady bros still hustling!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 am

whisker wrote:I'm a long-time lurker and I officially left the vale. I received two offers in the last week, one firm in the city I went to college in a larger market than my law school and one corporate in-house. I'm still deciding but leaning towards the firm. To echo the previous posters, DON'T EVER GIVE UP. I have enough rejection letters to wall paper my apartment, but you have to keep pushing! Both were from Symplicity, so keep checking and keep applying!

Stats: Top 40 school, 25%, secondary journal, active in moot court.

Good luck to all bros and lady bros still hustling!

Solid bro!

What kind of firm we talking? Big? Small? Mid? Boutique?

Were you hired for a particular practice area or is it more like a "lit associate" or "corp associate" sort of thing?

I bet it's a load off before exams man

Always like hearin good news

whisker

Postby whisker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks! It's mid-sized and well respected in the market. I'll start as a general litigation associate and will pick a particular area after rotating through them all. So excited! :D

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 am

whisker wrote:Thanks! It's mid-sized and well respected in the market. I'll start as a general litigation associate and will pick a particular area after rotating through them all. So excited! :D

I like it bro

You should be excited

If you can, take a night to celebrate

You owe it to yourself

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 am

I really don't know what to do anymore. Can someone tell me what line of work I can pursue since I can't find an attorney job? I need money. I can't just not have income until the magical fairy tale of an attorney job comes true.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I really don't know what to do anymore. Can someone tell me what line of work I can pursue since I can't find an attorney job? I need money. I can't just not have income until the magical fairy tale of an attorney job comes true.

K-JD?

Any meaningful skills?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Testmasters posting on my school's Symplicity, hiring LSAT instructors in Santa Monica. Salary is $70-80k/year.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:40 pm

$ 70-$80,000 sounds pretty good but what is the cost of living out there. That may be equivalent to $ 40-50,000.00.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Testmasters posting on my school's Symplicity, hiring LSAT instructors in Santa Monica. Salary is $70-80k/year.

Robin Singh makin' it rain.

Return to “Legal Employment”