The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sweetdeal068

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Sweetdeal068 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Class of 2015, posted last week about not having any real prospects for most of a year before I got 4 interviews in the space of two weeks. Well, I got an offer today for a federal magistrate clerkship in a pretty good city. This was the best of the four options I had, so I'm pretty happy. Man, it feels good to finally write one of these posts, I've been reading them for literally two years now.

I wish there was something better we could say to the valers besides "it only takes one" or encouraging people to mail that 100th app after having been rejected 99 times. But that's the truth, and it's all we can do.

Aww yes congratulations! I'm so happy that it panned out. You're right, just encouraging each other is the best we can do, and it does send positive vibes so it's all worth it in the end, hopefully. Good luck!

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed May 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Have an interview tomorrow. Small firm, but in a great location for me. Interested in some of the work, some of it I'm really not into but who knows. Nice to get a response to a resume at least.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed May 11, 2016 9:55 pm

Easy-E wrote:Have an interview tomorrow. Small firm, but in a great location for me. Interested in some of the work, some of it I'm really not into but who knows. Nice to get a response to a resume at least.

Good luck. You'll do great

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed May 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Nebby wrote:
Easy-E wrote:Have an interview tomorrow. Small firm, but in a great location for me. Interested in some of the work, some of it I'm really not into but who knows. Nice to get a response to a resume at least.

Good luck. You'll do great

Thanks dude.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu May 12, 2016 11:35 am

Interview went well, but he needs someone today. He said if the position isn't filled by the time I take the bar, it would be mine. Not gonna hold my breath, but who knows. Great location for me, near where I grew up, so bringing in my own clients would be pretty realistic. Back to applying.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Thu May 12, 2016 2:47 pm

I am so frustrated. Applied to a volunteer position at the AG office a few weeks ago. No answer at all. Jeez, no one even wants to have me for free. So depressing. At this point, I am starting to regret the whole going to law school thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Yeah it sucks. I got turned down for a volunteer position at the state AG's office this time last year. What the fuck, made me really worry about my employability. Just got a real job a couple of days ago, one that I'd definitely prefer to the AG. Just gotta plug away. Even if law school was a bad idea, a legal job is most likely your best opportunity.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Thu May 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah it sucks. I got turned down for a volunteer position at the state AG's office this time last year. What the fuck, made me really worry about my employability. Just got a real job a couple of days ago, one that I'd definitely prefer to the AG. Just gotta plug away. Even if law school was a bad idea, a legal job is most likely your best opportunity.

Congrats on the job!!!

I am both frustrated and discouraged at this point. It is like no one wants to hire me because I have no post-law school experience, but at the same time how would I get any if even volunteer programs want experience. Never ending circle.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 12, 2016 3:53 pm

EvelynS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah it sucks. I got turned down for a volunteer position at the state AG's office this time last year. What the fuck, made me really worry about my employability. Just got a real job a couple of days ago, one that I'd definitely prefer to the AG. Just gotta plug away. Even if law school was a bad idea, a legal job is most likely your best opportunity.

Congrats on the job!!!

I am both frustrated and discouraged at this point. It is like no one wants to hire me because I have no post-law school experience, but at the same time how would I get any if even volunteer programs want experience. Never ending circle.

That happened to me when I was unemployed. What I ended up doing was applying to pro bono programs for licensed attorneys, so I wasn't really volunteering for the org. Most of those places accept all pro bono offers of representation but then you have to pay for some of your own costs (like the copies of documents I made, etc.)

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:50 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
zot1 wrote:
The answer is... It depends. Some regional offices have a problem getting qualified candidates so they will care slightly less about ties but they will want to see some commitment from you to the area.

Which regional offices are these that are having trouble getting qualified candidates? Maybe I should apply, haha. Assuming they are in what most people would think of as less desirable parts of the country to live in.

Anyway, thanks guys for the replies on ties!

Any regional office not within a major city. And as to major city, think of LA, Chicago, NY, Atlanta, Dallas, that sort of thing.

MsAvocadoPit

Postby MsAvocadoPit » Thu May 12, 2016 11:41 pm

MsAvocadoPit wrote:So great to see many leaving the vale :).

I am checking in, with some good news! I have an interview at a mid-sized firm. Got it through networking, no official job posting. If this works out, I feel like I will be that person who says it's all about who you know.

I attend a strong regional school, but clearly out of range from t14 or t50. My friends from the 2015 class who graduated without jobs are actually being hired as of March/April!

Keep going everyone!!

Checking in for the last time. I will be starting out as an entry level associate this fall with a mid-sized firm! Cannot believe it. Overjoyed and ecstatic. Regional ties matter. All my past internships mattered. Networking REALLY matters. A few months ago, I would've thought this was impossible. Keep going everyone, keep meeting new people and keep being YOURSELF. That is key.

ballouttacontrol

Postby ballouttacontrol » Fri May 13, 2016 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Newbie around but 2015 grad still on this job searching grind. About two months ago, I had an interview with a small firm where I live and then a call back a couple of weeks later. A couple of weeks after that, they email saying I'm still a top candidate, and they'll get back to me soon. Two weeks after that, I send a follow up, and they respond saying they're still evaluating candidates. Today, I looked on the website and they have reposted the job posting for this position. Do I give up at this point or do I follow up again? If I follow up again...should it be email or phone call to the recruiting partner? Thanks for any help! I just want out of the Vale!

Sounds like they may have moved on, but definitely keep following up and updating them anything you do. You're not out till you're out

ballouttacontrol

Postby ballouttacontrol » Fri May 13, 2016 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Was in veil until about a couple months ago when tiny firm I was clerking for gave offer contingent on graduating, passing bar, etc. I accepted,and got small signing bonus w/ a clause that said I had to repay bonus if I ended up going elsewhere. Don't get me wrong I was psyched to be out of the veil, but pay is 48K . I get along well but with everyone and enjoy the work mostly, but I've been applying to other things.....not bites until yesterday:

Got a clerkship interview scheduled the morning of my graduation ceremony.....would feel pretty bad if I got clerkship and burned firm this late....clerkship pay not thaaaat much more but always wanted to clerk.....any thoughts are appreciated..... :?

I would be pretty hesitant to take this honestly. Depends on the clerkship. If it's something highly marketable you're probably fine, but a lot of people that were not highly desirable candidates don't really come out to find themselves in much of a better spot.

Just personally. It would really suck to come out of a clerkship unemployed when you did have something locked down. Nothing to say you can't keep looking even

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri May 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Grabbed another interview with a solo for next week. I'm worried most of these interviews are going to end up like the last one, basically you're a good candidate and all that, but I need someone today, and there are plenty of attorneys out there looking for work. Like I said before, nice to get responses at least. I'm actually hoping the attorney I'm working for part-time offers me a spot, but with small/solo shops, obviously it's a crapshoot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2016 1:50 pm

If you really want copyright/trademark, you could try looking at the Copyright Alliance (which sometimes has a fellowship but doesn't have anything posted right now) or at George Mason CPIP, which hired a fellow last August or so, and could possibly do so again. Also, Senator Franken is hiring a judiciary fellow: http://www.senate.gov/employment/po/positions.htm (ctrl-F for 223206).

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Mon May 16, 2016 4:42 pm

don't quote if somebody asks you not to

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm glad you're here to protect me.

TLSaul2001

Postby TLSaul2001 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:44 pm

MsAvocadoPit wrote:
Checking in for the last time. I will be starting out as an entry level associate this fall with a mid-sized firm! Cannot believe it. Overjoyed and ecstatic. Regional ties matter. All my past internships mattered. Networking REALLY matters. A few months ago, I would've thought this was impossible. Keep going everyone, keep meeting new people and keep being YOURSELF. That is key.

Congrats! As someone who went to a strong regional school, but otherwise a TTT, it's incredible how much who you know effects your job opportunities. I spent 4 months in the Vale after graduating and the ONLY reason I got the first job (1 year time limit gig) was because of 2 professors who I had built good relationships with who were able to recommend me. My current job, a permanent one, I only secured because of my previous internship experience at the organization and the good relationship I was able to develop with the executive director while interning,. All the time I spent applying to hundreds of job postings over the months with no responses, and both jobs came down to personal connections to each place.

Milk any sort of regional/internship connections you have to the max because it is the strongest thing you'll have going for you in the vast majority of jobs you apply for.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu May 19, 2016 3:36 pm

Went to an event with a lawyer I work for part-time, ended up meeting his former boss, whose firm is the largest in the state which specializes in X area of law (which I'm very interested in). Sorry for the vaguness. Told me to follow up with him if I'm serious about doing this type of work. Just set a date to go in after the holiday weekend. I'm really excited. I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up too much, considering 1) he hasn't seen my resume yet and 2) it isn't a huge firm afaik, so whether they actually need someone is an issue. Would be really great to not have to worry about this anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2016 4:59 pm

What are some good places to look for jobs online besides your school job board?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are some good places to look for jobs online besides your school job board?

For government positions, I'd definitely keep an eye on usajobs.gov, although not everything is located there, and some agencies advertise on their own sites (especially DOJ). A lot of state bar associations also have job boards (for example, http://l.va.bar.associationcareernetwor ... stfilter=y). Beyond that, I find a lot of openings to apply for through google and linkedin, either searching for particular kinds of jobs I'm interested in (and especially for fellowships in those fields) or by looking at the profiles of people who work in fields I'm interested in, and then going to their former employers' sites to see if they've posted any positions. Finally, if you're interested in legislative work, there's the U.S. House and Senate employment bulletins and the jobs clearinghouse for state legislatures (http://www.ncsl.org/legislators-staff/l ... rvice.aspx).

Main thing I'd suggest is casting a wide net and considering all possible sources of jobs and all kinds of job boards.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri May 20, 2016 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are some good places to look for jobs online besides your school job board?

Lawjobs, ziprecruiter, indeed, craigslist are my usual searches.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri May 20, 2016 12:14 pm

For those who have not taken the bar yet, do you guys have anything about it on your resume? Just a line about sitting for X and Y in July? Or just put it in a cover letter/email

Also, if I think my work experience is more persuasive (less shitty) than my academic performance, any reason I should be putting it first? Or for someone who is a recent/soon-to-be grad, is that a bad look?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2016 4:18 pm

Easy-E wrote:

Lawjobs, ziprecruiter, indeed, craigslist are my usual searches.

Are there other approaches to take? I'm top-third at CCN w/ a beautiful no-offer from a big firm under my belt. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Also, does anyone know how to search the jobs boards for entry level jobs? It looks like 95%+ of the posted jobs are not for entry level.

Return to “Legal Employment”