The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby bjsesq » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Career services is so fucking worthless. I kept refusing their help because they suck, but finally I got desperate enough to give in and I answered one of their emails and let them know that, yes, I was still looking for a job. Now they email me about jobs they post on symplicity a couple hours after they're posted (and after I have of course already applied to them). Thanks assholes.

I flat out refused to talk to them. Ever.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:11 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Career services is so fucking worthless. I kept refusing their help because they suck, but finally I got desperate enough to give in and I answered one of their emails and let them know that, yes, I was still looking for a job. Now they email me about jobs they post on symplicity a couple hours after they're posted (and after I have of course already applied to them). Thanks assholes.

They are paid money from your tuition to be people you can complain to

That's gotta be worth something

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:12 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Same here. I figure if other people follow my lead, their workload will be reduced to the point of the school finally firing some of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:15 pm

I liked career services. They are like having your own secretary, because they send and receive faxes for you, and mail paper applications too. But I wouldn't go to them for actual advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

They are paid money from your tuition to be people you can complain to

That's gotta be worth something

Haha, this is the first image that came to mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:24 pm

I went in for my hundredth mock interview recently and the career services person reacted in horror to something I said, telling me to absolutely never say that to a recruiter. I've been meeting with career services all three years and saying the same thing, without any reaction on their part; I also said it in every screener/interview I've ever done. Wonderful.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Come on dude, what was it? Can't have a build up like that and not deliver

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Come on dude, what was it? Can't have a build up like that and not deliver

Just the way I phrased some stupid answer to the "why did you go to law school" question. I said my job was fun but unchallenging and became really repetitive, it was totally unstimulating compared to college, so I went to law school to find a career that was more intellectual and required actual use of my brain. The career services guy told me that was a big red flag and no firm would want to hire me for fear I'd get sick of the miserable biglaw work and leave. It was such a ridiculous, counter-intuitive argument, but I guess makes sense considering how terrible biglaw is supposed to be, and how long it takes a firm to train someone new. I don't know if that answer is so terrible but I said it in every screener I've ever done. Woof.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Come on dude, what was it? Can't have a build up like that and not deliver

Seriously. Also it may not have been that bad.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm

That sounds fine. Especially if no one else ever said anything about it

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just the way I phrased some stupid answer to the "why did you go to law school" question. I said my job was fun but unchallenging and became really repetitive, it was totally unstimulating compared to college, so I went to law school to find a career that was more intellectual and required actual use of my brain. The career services guy told me that was a big red flag and no firm would want to hire me for fear I'd get sick of the miserable biglaw work and leave. It was such a ridiculous, counter-intuitive argument, but I guess makes sense considering how terrible biglaw is supposed to be, and how long it takes a firm to train someone new. I don't know if that answer is so terrible but I said it in every screener I've ever done. Woof.

Yeah I would NOT say that. I'm surprise no one said anything to you. A lot of law is not intellectually stimulating. At all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:A lot of law is not intellectually stimulating. At all.

I found law school itself to be pretty intellectually stimulating; how was I supposed to know that law firm work was different? It makes me really angry to think that dumb statement could have hurt me and that career services never said a word to me about it until now. :x

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:A lot of law is not intellectually stimulating. At all.

I found law school itself to be pretty intellectually stimulating; how was I supposed to know that law firm work was different? It makes me really angry to think that dumb statement could have hurt me and that career services never said a word to me about it until now. :x

I definitely understand why you're angry; that's legit. But you never got a glimpse 1L and 2L summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:I definitely understand why you're angry; that's legit. But you never got a glimpse 1L and 2L summer?

Nope, I never got an offer from a firm, though I had a couple callbacks. I worked in non-profit/govt both summers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Just got a state clerkship interview in my home state. It's a decent place to be, but pretty tame while you're young. Trying to muster up some enthusiasm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a state clerkship interview in my home state. It's a decent place to be, but pretty tame while you're young. Trying to muster up some enthusiasm.

I'd be pretty excited about not starving/getting experience/not being unemployed bro. Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a state clerkship interview in my home state. It's a decent place to be, but pretty tame while you're young. Trying to muster up some enthusiasm.

I'd be pretty excited about not starving/getting experience/not being unemployed bro. Congrats!

Haha, yeah, that's fair enough. Thanks, man.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Well fellow members of the vale it is the eve of a callback interview for me and I am nervous as hell. Taking well wishes that I don't screw up a potentially life-changing 3-4 hours!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well fellow members of the vale it is the eve of a callback interview for me and I am nervous as hell. Taking well wishes that I don't screw up a potentially life-changing 3-4 hours!

Any hints as to the firm? I had a recent callback and I wonder if the same place. Hint: v50, major market...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well fellow members of the vale it is the eve of a callback interview for me and I am nervous as hell. Taking well wishes that I don't screw up a potentially life-changing 3-4 hours!

Any hints as to the firm? I had a recent callback and I wonder if the same place. Hint: v50, major market...

Doesn't sound like the same firm. Mine is not in a major market and is not a V50.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Don't be nervous, oh my brother

Don't show desperation

You are an just an anon

But I have faith in you bro

They're not just looking for bodies

There's something about you they like

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Don't show desperation

You are an just an anon

The great rad lulz speaks! Thank you for your blessing, brother.

Come tomorrow, positivity will be my creed. I've done everything I can to prepare at this point. Time to put it in the hands of fate.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Don't show desperation

You are an just an anon

Come tomorrow, positivity will be my creed. I've done everything I can to prepare at this point. Time to put it in the hands of fate.

I expect a full report tomorrow

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Don't show desperation

You are an just an anon

I expect a full report tomorrow

And one shall be provided with great cheer.

windowcactus

Postby windowcactus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:14 am

i've had a few callbacks recently but at this point firms have no sense of urgency to bring on 3Ls. In other words, a firm knows they could get back to me in three months and I'd be in the same position, eager to take the job. It feels like this process will go on forever.

Return to “Legal Employment”