The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:31 am

Puttanesca wrote:
lawschoolwoohoo wrote:3L, T-20, Top 20%, published on Law Review, no job (though also no debt). Should I just wait until after the bar this summer to even bother applying to stuff? I wanted a job in crim, but no one hires until results come out. No idea what to do, just got dinged by what I thought was my best chance because I won't get bar results until the end of October. Feeling very hopeless, I don't even want to celebrate graduation b/c I'm going to be broke/unemployed forever. I'm humiliated to tell my family that I failed so terribly.

Unless the job announcement specifically says something indicating that only licensed candidates should apply or will be considered, I would go ahead and apply. I know most crim jobs won't hire until results come out, but I don't think it would hurt to apply, and you never know. Some offices might be willing to hire.

I got my job applying to a posting like this. My practice-area focused resume got me in the door, and I convinced the boss to take me on as a clerk until bar passage. Obviously will vary depending on office need/resume/whatnot, but small offices like crim practitioners sometimes need the help now but also want to make sure you're competent and into the work. Put in your cover letter you're willing to clerk through bar study (if you are) and can go full-time August 1.

You're no failure, licensed-hiring is the nature of private crim law. Also, small crim practitioners often need contract help, so you can also try to network your way to gigs like that.

criminaltheory

Postby criminaltheory » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:32 am

^accidental anon

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun May 01, 2016 11:13 am

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:3L, T-20, Top 20%, published on Law Review, no job (though also no debt). ... Feeling very hopeless, I don't even want to celebrate graduation b/c I'm going to be broke/unemployed forever. I'm humiliated to tell my family that I failed so terribly.

You need to chill out. Lots of people don't have jobs at graduation. You did well at a good school; you're very probably going to find a job before too long.

lawschoolwoohoo

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Mon May 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks for the support everyone. I've sent resumes and interest to many offices in the area all spring. I have had a couple interviews, but have been dinged because I won't be a "lawyer" until I get passage results this fall. I even emailed to ask for follow-up advice in some cases, and have basically been told that the timeline is the only issue with my application, so I feel fairly stuck. I have a paid fellowship lined up at an office that has a decent history of hiring, and offices that are interested, but it's still really hard to graduate without a "real job." Thank you all for the support though, definitely makes me feel less screwed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2016 5:23 pm

When do rising 3Ls start mass mailing over the summer? I am working at a F500 company with a at best 50% chance of getting an offer (probably much lower but they did hire last year's intern) over the summer in my target market (away from my school's market). I am just curious when to start bombarding every firm in my target markets with apps. I saw a resume collection today for rising 2Ls and thought it was extremely early in the season.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2016 8:54 pm

Any other unemployed 2015 grads out there? I am happy for everyone getting out of the vale, but I am beginning to feel like the only one. I've been on several interviews, but I just can't seem to snag a job :(

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Tue May 03, 2016 10:16 am

For anyone who is not already signed up, you should check out this newsletter http://www.gobiglaw.com. I saw advertisements for what looked like 3 entry level positions today (all corp) for top firms. Best of luck.

ballouttacontrol

Postby ballouttacontrol » Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 am

Rlabo wrote:For anyone who is not already signed up, you should check out this newsletter http://www.gobiglaw.com. I saw advertisements for what looked like 3 entry level positions today (all corp) for top firms. Best of luck.

Good resource. You can set it up email you every day or week with the new listings by practice group. This is where I first saw my current job

Sweetdeal068

Postby Sweetdeal068 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:07 pm

To the 2015 grad, you're definitely not alone! I'm a 2015 grad still in the vale as well :(. Still waiting on word from a final interview though. It's so depressing seeing the next class posting about graduation :roll:.

MzJD

Postby MzJD » Tue May 03, 2016 12:45 pm

I posted this in a new forum but someone suggested posting here any thoughts?

"Hi I am doing a legal job search but I have been unsuccessful thus far. I am not sure what types of positions I should apply for because I haven't passed the bar yet ( failed Jul 2015). I am waiting for Feb results and hopefully they are successful. But should I just wait until I get results or keeping looking now. Most attorney jobs state that you "MUST" have passed the bar in AZ. They also request at least 1-2 years of experience. Any advice would be great I am starting to stress out!"

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue May 03, 2016 5:59 pm

MzJD wrote:I posted this in a new forum but someone suggested posting here any thoughts?

"Hi I am doing a legal job search but I have been unsuccessful thus far. I am not sure what types of positions I should apply for because I haven't passed the bar yet ( failed Jul 2015). I am waiting for Feb results and hopefully they are successful. But should I just wait until I get results or keeping looking now. Most attorney jobs state that you "MUST" have passed the bar in AZ. They also request at least 1-2 years of experience. Any advice would be great I am starting to stress out!"

How much longer is it before you get bar results? I would keep looking now and just state that you took the AZ bar in February. Then update the places you apply to when you pass the bar. However, if you're going to get your bar results like next week and the job application deadline is after then, then I would wait until you pass the bar before applying to that particular job so you can say you passed.

As for the 1-2 years experience, it depends on where you are applying. For private practice, apply. For fed gov, don't bother. I'm not sure about state/local gov in Arizona.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 03, 2016 11:41 pm

Class of 2015 here, have been feeling down about my chances, but suddenly got four interview requests in the span of a week. Two of them are for magistrate clerkships, which I'd be very happy to have at this point, the other two are for less desirable (to me) work; fairly dead-end jobs that pay around $60k to start, but anything FTLT JD-required is exciting at this point. The thing is, I can't see myself with better than 25% chance at any of them, I know they're all interviewing a full slate (5? 10? who the hell knows). So it's discouraging to think that this run of luck could very easily end up being no different than the other dozens of unanswered applications I've sent out.

Sweetdeal068

Postby Sweetdeal068 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Class of 2015 here, have been feeling down about my chances, but suddenly got four interview requests in the span of a week. Two of them are for magistrate clerkships, which I'd be very happy to have at this point, the other two are for less desirable (to me) work; fairly dead-end jobs that pay around $60k to start, but anything FTLT JD-required is exciting at this point. The thing is, I can't see myself with better than 25% chance at any of them, I know they're all interviewing a full slate (5? 10? who the hell knows). So it's discouraging to think that this run of luck could very easily end up being no different than the other dozens of unanswered applications I've sent out.

Wow congrats on those interview requests! That's huge, and you should be excited! I'd say that you should keep up hope and continue to show up and prepare for the interviews. All you need is your foot in the door, even if it's not ideal. All it takes is one. But hey I completely get the discouragement, I'm finding it hard to stay motivated and keep applying, especially knowing that I probably won't hear from them ever. It's hard :?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When do rising 3Ls start mass mailing over the summer? I am working at a F500 company with a at best 50% chance of getting an offer (probably much lower but they did hire last year's intern) over the summer in my target market (away from my school's market). I am just curious when to start bombarding every firm in my target markets with apps. I saw a resume collection today for rising 2Ls and thought it was extremely early in the season.

Can anyone answer this?

jchiles

Postby jchiles » Wed May 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When do rising 3Ls start mass mailing over the summer? I am working at a F500 company with a at best 50% chance of getting an offer (probably much lower but they did hire last year's intern) over the summer in my target market (away from my school's market). I am just curious when to start bombarding every firm in my target markets with apps. I saw a resume collection today for rising 2Ls and thought it was extremely early in the season.

Can anyone answer this?

For larger employers (big companies/firms) I started in early August, I mailed out to a few small firms but got nothing or responses basically saying to try again in spring when they knew if they were hiring or not.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Wed May 04, 2016 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Can anyone answer this?

I'd do it before you go back to school for sure while you're in your target market. So like July

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 10:32 am

Applying for opening with Legal Services, which ask for salary requirements. Any suggestions? Just try to find out what the starting rate is?

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu May 05, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Applying for opening with Legal Services, which ask for salary requirements. Any suggestions? Just try to find out what the starting rate is?

Starting plus 10%, in case they've budgeted a little more or recently increased their salary structure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 6:52 pm

3L, 100k debt, top 20% at TTT, no job lined up, general pessimism. shitty job in shitty suburb near hometown offers $45k/year.

do i just suck it up and take it?

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Thu May 05, 2016 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L, 100k debt, top 20% at TTT, no job lined up, general pessimism. shitty job in shitty suburb near hometown offers $45k/year.

do i just suck it up and take it?

take it and keep applying for other stuff and drop it if you get something better

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 7:47 pm

one problem i failed to mention is that i would have to buy a car. $45k might be too little with that caveat right?

ballouttacontrol

Postby ballouttacontrol » Thu May 05, 2016 8:42 pm

I mean you could buy a $2k piece of shit to get by for now. Cars aren't really that expensive as long as you live somewhere you don't have to pay to park or somrthin like that

If you end up working somwhere like nyc where you don't need it then just sell it and you won't really take much of a loss

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 11:17 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still in the vale, 2015 grad. Had an interview and offer in Manhattan for a litigation position, but had to turn it down. They offered $60k for 2400 billable hours. My commuting cost from outside the city would've been over 10% of my pay and 3 hours every day. I keep calling alumni and mass-mailing. Attorneys keep telling me that they're surprised I'm not getting a lot of interviews (Top 10%, military), but it doesn't really help to hear that at this point. I'm nearly at my breaking point.

Those are really tough terms to swallow, and I don't know your situation obviously, but I'd probably have taken it.

Obviously, you are able to evaluate them much better than anonymous weirdos. But just make sure your sights are set realistically. There are a lot of unemployed T1 JDs that would practically kill for 60k for 2.4k hrs. Maybe not with your resume, but be careful bra that's all

Same anonymous here. Updating because I wanted to let people know that there are opportunities out there.

Anyways, 2015 grad with no interviews until March. Then I had 6 interviews in the 2 week span. Received 5 offers (I interview well) ranging from 60-130k and billable requirements of 1800-2400. I'm starting my job in NYC next week.

So, silence for 10 months and then 9 interviews in about 5 weeks. It seems to all come at once, I was offered 3 more interviews in Boston last week. Keep applying and calling/meeting alumni. Make sure your resume and cover letter are perfect.

Manali

Postby Manali » Fri May 06, 2016 9:06 am

Checking in. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 06, 2016 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still in the vale, 2015 grad. Had an interview and offer in Manhattan for a litigation position, but had to turn it down. They offered $60k for 2400 billable hours. My commuting cost from outside the city would've been over 10% of my pay and 3 hours every day. I keep calling alumni and mass-mailing. Attorneys keep telling me that they're surprised I'm not getting a lot of interviews (Top 10%, military), but it doesn't really help to hear that at this point. I'm nearly at my breaking point.

Those are really tough terms to swallow, and I don't know your situation obviously, but I'd probably have taken it.

Obviously, you are able to evaluate them much better than anonymous weirdos. But just make sure your sights are set realistically. There are a lot of unemployed T1 JDs that would practically kill for 60k for 2.4k hrs. Maybe not with your resume, but be careful bra that's all

Same anonymous here. Updating because I wanted to let people know that there are opportunities out there.

Anyways, 2015 grad with no interviews until March. Then I had 6 interviews in the 2 week span. Received 5 offers (I interview well) ranging from 60-130k and billable requirements of 1800-2400. I'm starting my job in NYC next week.

So, silence for 10 months and then 9 interviews in about 5 weeks. It seems to all come at once, I was offered 3 more interviews in Boston last week. Keep applying and calling/meeting alumni. Make sure your resume and cover letter are perfect.

Any advice re cover letters, outside of typo free and targeted? I think mine are good, but always hoping to improve.

Return to “Legal Employment”