The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:51 am

baal hadad wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anon from above. Clearly, I'm pretty late on the clerkship wagon. Does it seem appropriate to contact the clerk/secretary of judges and just asking if they have appointed a clerk yet?

No, it does not seem appropriate. Check OSCAR which will give you some information. Check with the clerkship contact at your school (even if you don't have a clerkship office, there will be at least one CSO who's designated as the clerkship director/coordinator/whatever). Check threads in the Clerkship forum. Check websites for the state courts. And if you're still unsure if the position is still open, you can either have the clerkship contact at your school contact the chambers you're interested in OR just send the application anyway. If the spot is filled, an application isn't going to hurt you, and if it's not filled, you've saved the step of inquiring.

This seems to be very contrary to all of the advice I've ever heard on this. This forum and my career office both suggested callling when a Judge didn't list openings on Oscar. I don't see how this could possible hurt you to just call and ask if they are still soliciting applications.

I don't see a problem w calling. It's probably gonna be a courtroom deputy or clerk who answers the phone and they will not care. They won't even know your name

OP anon. I actually did it for two judges before I found that my school had a listing of which state judges had accepted clerks, which is a good starting point. I should have said, I wasn't planning on calling and asking for the judge directly, you just get a clerk or secretary.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP anon. I actually did it for two judges before I found that my school had a listing of which state judges had accepted clerks, which is a good starting point. I should have said, I wasn't planning on calling and asking for the judge directly, you just get a clerk or secretary.

I didn't anticipate you would ask for the judge, but, speaking for myself, state clerks are weird people who don't like talking on the phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:14 pm

How does one gracefully back out of an interview request? I applied to a job that I don't actually want and my application hit. I know that since I have no job I should really just take something, anything that I can get, but this one is not going to get me any of the experience that I need or want going forward. I know applying in the first place was stupid (I think desperation made me do it), but it is what it is now.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does one gracefully back out of an interview request? I applied to a job that I don't actually want and my application hit. I know that since I have no job I should really just take something, anything that I can get, but this one is not going to get me any of the experience that I need or want going forward. I know applying in the first place was stupid (I think desperation made me do it), but it is what it is now.

What else do you have going on in your life right now? I would probably do it for interview experience tbh if you aren't getting that many other interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:36 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How does one gracefully back out of an interview request? I applied to a job that I don't actually want and my application hit. I know that since I have no job I should really just take something, anything that I can get, but this one is not going to get me any of the experience that I need or want going forward. I know applying in the first place was stupid (I think desperation made me do it), but it is what it is now.

What else do you have going on in your life right now? I would probably do it for interview experience tbh if you aren't getting that many other interviews.

I've got nothing much going on, and I know how stupid this might all sound. Take what you can get until you get something else, I get it. But I still just feel like this would be a bad move: peanut pay for low-level experience in a practice area completely irrelevant to what I actually want to do. I probably should have considered that more before applying, but it's too late for that. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have done a fair number of interviews already, so I don't feel like I need more practice in that, and I don't want to waste their time more than I already have.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I've got nothing much going on, and I know how stupid this might all sound. Take what you can get until you get something else, I get it. But I still just feel like this would be a bad move: peanut pay for low-level experience in a practice area completely irrelevant to what I actually want to do. I probably should have considered that more before applying, but it's too late for that. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have done a fair number of interviews already, so I don't feel like I need more practice in that, and I don't want to waste their time more than I already have.

Call and say thank you for the opportunity, but you've had something else come up and have accepted. Or something like that. It's a lie but they'll have no idea and won't care anyway.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:48 pm

I'd just email and say thank you for the opportunity but you need to withdraw your application. No need to give a reason.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:38 pm

After an initial screener interview with the hiring partner, should I send a thank you email? My inclination is yes..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:55 am

For those applying to mid/biglaw position openings on simplicity, do you hear back?

There's probably like 0-1 postings a week for biglaw but I've been applying consistently since August and have heard back from zero (or maybe one. I forget).

I'm median at T7, worked inhouse this summer (got pretty good experience IMO) but I'm not hearing back at all. Is everyone in the same boat?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Anyone have a sample cover letter for judicial clerkships?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:46 pm

Anybody know how to view more than 500 results on Martindale?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a sample cover letter for judicial clerkships?

This isn't meant as a "LMGTFY" moment, but if you google "judicial clerkship cover letter" there are a bunch of helpful guides out there, posted by various law schools (I just can't remember which ones I used, which is why I'm saying to google). There's also probably a lot in the judicial clerkship forum. Just keep in mind there are short (Harvard-style) versions and long versions, and I think short tends to be a little better.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a sample cover letter for judicial clerkships?

This isn't meant as a "LMGTFY" moment, but if you google "judicial clerkship cover letter" there are a bunch of helpful guides out there, posted by various law schools (I just can't remember which ones I used, which is why I'm saying to google). There's also probably a lot in the judicial clerkship forum. Just keep in mind there are short (Harvard-style) versions and long versions, and I think short tends to be a little better.

Definitely keep cover letters short unless you have a particular qualification or connection to the judge you want to highlight. Happy to provide examples of what those might be if you, anon, PM me.

Anonymous User wrote:After an initial screener interview with the hiring partner, should I send a thank you email? My inclination is yes..

Not that it matters, but yes, you should. Keep it short.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:01 pm

BYU Job Bank Login (current as of 3/9/16)
User Name: jobfind
Password: byucougars

OP updated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Hang in there, Vale friends! My story: t1, median, applying to jobs all 3L year and getting complete radio silence. The week of finals, I got two interviews. Got another one a month later and have been working as a mid-law associate since! :D I can't tell you the secret to getting that jerb, since I'm not sure there is one, aside from applying broadly.

What I can say for sure is, this thread has been here since I entered law school. Every year it is filled with success stories of people who don't think they are going to get a job, but do. If you are worried enough to be reading this thread, make sure you spend some of that time applying places!

Anonymous User wrote:Also, how bad is working workers comp defense? I know, take the job (if its there), but I'm curious if anyone here knows much about it. The pay is fine, considering my COL and debt.

On the flip side of landing that job while in the Vale...

I'm in our firm's L&E practice group, so the partners take some state comp cases from our corporate clients as a favor and farm them out to associates and junior partners. Comp defense is soul crushing. I would avoid at all costs unless you can completely suppress your conscience. I am honestly considering lateraling solely to avoid having to handle state comp cases, which currently make up about 20% of my caseload.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:46 am

Hey everyone - I landed a callback interview for a firm I interview with last monday. I was wondering if anyone has any last minute tips? I have made to this stage in nearly all of my interviews, but I cannot close the deal. I really, really, want to make this one work. So, I would appreciate any advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:58 pm

2015 Grad here. Finally got something. It will only last a year and the pay is meh but it feels great to leave the vale and it should be a good experience and stepping stone. Good luck to any 2015 grads still here.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2015 Grad here. Finally got something. It will only last a year and the pay is meh but it feels great to leave the vale and it should be a good experience and stepping stone. Good luck to any 2015 grads still here.

Congrats, bro! Go celebrate and don't downplay this.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2015 Grad here. Finally got something. It will only last a year and the pay is meh but it feels great to leave the vale and it should be a good experience and stepping stone. Good luck to any 2015 grads still here.

Congrats! 2015 Grad too. Still no job though. Getting more and more stressed and depressed each day. Hearing that someone actually got out of the vale gives me hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Scheduling a callback for the end of the month, wish me luck!

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:24 pm

EvelynS wrote:

Congrats! 2015 Grad too. Still no job though. Getting more and more stressed and depressed each day. Hearing that someone actually got out of the vale gives me hope.

Same. Still being unemployed so long after graduation is really taking a huge physiological, emotional, financial, and even physical (I've put on weight like nobody's business) toll, but seeing other 2015 grads get out always perks me up a bit. I keep telling myself that we just have to hang in there.

Congrats anon! I hope this opens up more doors for you down the road!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Scheduling a callback for the end of the month, wish me luck!

Congrats! What market? How'd you hustle it up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Scheduling a callback for the end of the month, wish me luck!

Thanks! New York securities plaintiffs firm -- my resume and skills are fairly specialized and I mailed applications to managing partners.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! New York securities plaintiffs firm -- my resume and skills are fairly specialized and I mailed applications to managing partners.

Congrats anon, that's fantastic! Without risking you anonymity, would you mind sharing some of your qualifications that make you so specialized? I'm also interested in securities work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:29 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats anon, that's fantastic! Without risking you anonymity, would you mind sharing some of your qualifications that make you so specialized? I'm also interested in securities work.

Pmed

Return to “Legal Employment”