The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dresden doll

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by dresden doll » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:Just picked up my fucking dream job with the federal government. Literally, if I had my pick of the litter of all the jobs out there, and I most certainly did not, this is the job I would have picked.
Congrats, dude. Good stuff.
Yeah, that's awesome.

EDIT: apologies for the accidental anon - dresden.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Anyone here interviewing with Citi for their compliance program?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:36 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:12 pm

jobfind
byucougars
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:46 pm

That combo just failed for me
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here interviewing with Citi for their compliance program?
I did last week. Totally bombed it. They have a form with behavioral questions on it that they write your responses on, so be ready for that. It was just a typical consulting/finance behavioral interview, such as what are your strengths, tell me a time you've been a leader, how do you work in groups, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:05 am

3L out of the vale! Just got a fellowship at an appellate law firm. So I think clerkships/big law are still an option later on.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:36 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote: Results: I got one interview from each group. No offer from the experimental group. Offer from the control group.
DOOOOOOOOOOO Congrats on the JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, by control group do you mean the one that you didn't email?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:59 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:21 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Also, it's crazy I got the job at one office, but then almost all the other office locations (doing the same job) didn't even interview me. Fed gov is weird I guess. Or maybe I'm just a stupidly lucky son of a bitch to have gotten this job.
Remember that different offices have different people hiring and people are, well, different.

Someone from office A might find your resume boring, while someone from office B might see something they love about you. Also, it depends on the pool of applicants each individual office gets-you might be a big fish in one pool but not others.

Finally, no matter all of this, I'm sure luck played a role too.

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:55 pm

Now is about the time when this unemployed 3L has no choice but to face the awful reality that I'm just not going to have a job before graduation, and possibly not afterward for a very long time. Even after months of being optimistic and reaching out to people, after keeping a smile on my face and nodding like an idiot when people exclaim over my T14 and grumble over just how much those lawyers make, after thousands of resumes and only a nibble here or there, I'm dealing with the very unpleasant fact that I've gone and made myself unemployable, and locked a future that would have been very workable into what could be decades of shackles. I know how entitled this sounds, and I'm sorry. But I am at a total loss, for what feels like the first time in my life.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:00 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Now is about the time when this unemployed 3L has no choice but to face the awful reality that I'm just not going to have a job before graduation, and possibly not afterward for a very long time. Even after months of being optimistic and reaching out to people, after keeping a smile on my face and nodding like an idiot when people exclaim over my T14 and grumble over just how much those lawyers make, after thousands of resumes and only a nibble here or there, I'm dealing with the very unpleasant fact that I've gone and made myself unemployable, and locked a future that would have been very workable into what could be decades of shackles. I know how entitled this sounds, and I'm sorry. But I am at a total loss, for what feels like the first time in my life.
I know the feeling. All your classmates are talking about their great jobs lined up. It sucks. But things aren't as grim as you might think. TONS of jobs open up over the summer. I neglected to take advantage of them because I was studying for the bar. Don't be that guy. Double time it. Apply while studying. You'll find something respectable for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Stupid questions incoming...

Is it too late to be applying for clerkships (3L), state or federal? I also don't get how to apply for jobs at this point. I can't start for like another year, who takes that application seriously? Do I only apply to places with actual jobs posted, and just include when I'm taking the bar in my resume or cover letter? Pointless to apply to jobs that require experience as practicing attorney right?

Also, how bad is working workers comp defense? I know, take the job (if its there), but I'm curious if anyone here knows much about it. The pay is fine, considering my COL and debt.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:54 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:03 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, how bad is working workers comp defense? I know, take the job (if its there), but I'm curious if anyone here knows much about it. The pay is fine, considering my COL and debt.
I kinda did workers' comp defense at the appellate level, and I enjoyed it (though, obviously, appellate is pretty different from the early stages of a case). Take the job if its there, and look for something better on your off time.

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late to be applying for clerkships (3L), state or federal? I also don't get how to apply for jobs at this point. I can't start for like another year, who takes that application seriously? Do I only apply to places with actual jobs posted, and just include when I'm taking the bar in my resume or cover letter?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=120382
Thanks for this. As far as the clerkships go, I wonder if there is any way to find which positions have actually been filled in my state (NJ).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Anon from above. Clearly, I'm pretty late on the clerkship wagon. Does it seem appropriate to contact the clerk/secretary of judges and just asking if they have appointed a clerk yet?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from above. Clearly, I'm pretty late on the clerkship wagon. Does it seem appropriate to contact the clerk/secretary of judges and just asking if they have appointed a clerk yet?
No, it does not seem appropriate. Check OSCAR which will give you some information. Check with the clerkship contact at your school (even if you don't have a clerkship office, there will be at least one CSO who's designated as the clerkship director/coordinator/whatever). Check threads in the Clerkship forum. Check websites for the state courts. And if you're still unsure if the position is still open, you can either have the clerkship contact at your school contact the chambers you're interested in OR just send the application anyway. If the spot is filled, an application isn't going to hurt you, and if it's not filled, you've saved the step of inquiring.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:43 pm

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anon from above. Clearly, I'm pretty late on the clerkship wagon. Does it seem appropriate to contact the clerk/secretary of judges and just asking if they have appointed a clerk yet?
No, it does not seem appropriate. Check OSCAR which will give you some information. Check with the clerkship contact at your school (even if you don't have a clerkship office, there will be at least one CSO who's designated as the clerkship director/coordinator/whatever). Check threads in the Clerkship forum. Check websites for the state courts. And if you're still unsure if the position is still open, you can either have the clerkship contact at your school contact the chambers you're interested in OR just send the application anyway. If the spot is filled, an application isn't going to hurt you, and if it's not filled, you've saved the step of inquiring.
Okay thanks. Doubt I'm a competitor for fed clerkships but I'll look. Thanks for the other information.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:28 am

BVest wrote:
This seems to be very contrary to all of the advice I've ever heard on this. This forum and my career office both suggested callling when a Judge didn't list openings on Oscar. I don't see how this could possible hurt you to just call and ask if they are still soliciting applications.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:02 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:
BVest wrote:
This seems to be very contrary to all of the advice I've ever heard on this. This forum and my career office both suggested callling when a Judge didn't list openings on Oscar. I don't see how this could possible hurt you to just call and ask if they are still soliciting applications.
I don't see a problem w calling. It's probably gonna be a courtroom deputy or clerk who answers the phone and they will not care. They won't even know your name

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:03 am

I have landed an interview at a mid-sized/large shop (roughly 130-160 associates), and I am both excited and extremely nervous.

Also, I have a question for yall. I know someone who works at the firm because she was in my study group 1L year. I, however, subsequently transferred out of the school that summer. I want to bring up speaking with the person because I think it could show interest, etc. However, I don't want to receive any negative backlash for transferring, etc. Do, you guys have any suggestions? Would it be best not even to mention the associate?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:06 am

I wouldn't mention it unless it comes up for some reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:51 am

baal hadad wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
BVest wrote:
I don't see a problem w calling. It's probably gonna be a courtroom deputy or clerk who answers the phone and they will not care. They won't even know your name
OP anon. I actually did it for two judges before I found that my school had a listing of which state judges had accepted clerks, which is a good starting point. I should have said, I wasn't planning on calling and asking for the judge directly, you just get a clerk or secretary.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”