The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
3|ink

Platinum

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad here and I think I finally may have snagged something. I applied to a postgraduate intern position with a small office of a large international firm about a month ago. After going through a couple of interviews, I have an appointment for a call with the partner who is heading up the office (I interviewed with him already). I know that offers typically come via phone, and I doubt they would schedule a time to call just to tell me I wasn't getting the job, so I am starting to get excited! Since this office does not participate in the firm's usual recruiting process I have no idea what the compensation would be, but unless it is something absolutely terrible I am definitely going to take it.
Grats

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:14 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When you know the decision making process for a position can take long, how do you get back to a recruiter's response to your restatement of interest that they haven't made a decision yet? Thanks?
Just email and say that?

I did that with the job I have now. I'll admit it was risky because you could annoy them it you may seem too desperate. Thankfully it worked out for me. The response I got was something along the lines of thanks for letting me know, still interviewing, we will be in touch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:46 pm

Accepted an associate attorney position at a firm here in D.C. this week.

I went to law school out of state and took/passed the July '15 bar. After 5-6 months of striking out (not even an interview), I randomly got 3 calls for interviews a few weeks ago. Ended up with 2 offers and accepted one of them the other day.

To those still searching (particularly those having difficulty in tough/saturated markets like D.C.) there's hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted an associate attorney position at a firm here in D.C. this week.

I went to law school out of state and took/passed the July '15 bar. After 5-6 months of striking out (not even an interview), I randomly got 3 calls for interviews a few weeks ago. Ended up with 2 offers and accepted one of them the other day.

To those still searching (particularly those having difficulty in tough/saturated markets like D.C.) there's hope.
which practice area and where were you working before this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Accepted an associate attorney position at a firm here in D.C. this week.

which practice area and where were you working before this?
Real Estate/Real Estate Finance Law

I wasn't really working before this. Aside from a few hours a week of remote law clerk/legal research work for a solo practitioner, I spent most of my time looking for and applying to jobs in the area.

Prime12

Bronze

Post by Prime12 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:52 pm

Any idea what would be a good salary to ask for a junior transactional in-house counsel position of a large shipping company? I am woefully underqualified (they are asking 3+ yrs experience; I have zero transactional experience and only have 4+ months in a shitlaw personal injury firm) but speak two foreign languages they need.

I never thought I'd hear back from them but I did so I don't want to blow this up. Part of me wants to just throw them a really low $ so I can leave my miserable shitlaw job. $50k? $65k?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:35 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Prime12 wrote:Any idea what would be a good salary to ask for a junior transactional in-house counsel position of a large shipping company? I am woefully underqualified (they are asking 3+ yrs experience; I have zero transactional experience and only have 4+ months in a shitlaw personal injury firm) but speak two foreign languages they need.

I never thought I'd hear back from them but I did so I don't want to blow this up. Part of me wants to just throw them a really low $ so I can leave my miserable shitlaw job. $50k? $65k?
Large market or smaller (think Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indy, Denver, etc.)? You could be selling yourself short.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Prime12

Bronze

Post by Prime12 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:06 pm

Just outside NYC.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge/ information on "career associate"/"staff associate" jobs? Is it possible to move up from those positions? What are the career prospects for these positions?

EZ as AsDf

New

Post by EZ as AsDf » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kykiske wrote:2015 grad. Licensed attorney. I've had 4 interviews since getting licensed, and still nothing.

I feel so hopeless right now. I feel a combination of envy and anger towards my classmates who found full-time jobs. They're posting (on social media) pictures of themselves out and about at "young professionals" events. Others posted about buying their first home, new car, etc.

Every time someone asks me, "hey, where you working these days" or "hey, how much you making these days," I just get even more irritated. The worst experience thus far was a conversation I had with a former acquaintance from high school--who works as an events coordinator at a legal nonprofit--shamed me for not yet having a full-time job and spoke about how other people she knew that graduated from law school went to big law firms. She then went on to list the names of those law firms. And according to her, the past 2 years of working in the "legal field" gave her "ample" experience with attorneys. To that end, again according to her, she could give me tips on how to improve my resume. I politely declined.

Listen world, I'm trying the best I can. I want to be gainfully employed. I want to be a practicing attorney.
Good for you for taking the high road. I don't think I would have been polite.

You'll get there OP. 4 interviews since being licensed is great, and shows that you are a worthwhile candidate. Something will click eventually.
I agree. You should feel great knowing that you have been in the top tier of applicants at least 4 times.

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Prime12 wrote:Just outside NYC.
I hate the salary question. But knowing just outside NYC with a large company $50-65K seems like you're short changing yourself. They asked for 3+years experience, so you'd think they're prepared to pay 100k+. Hopefully someone else has a better strategy for approaching this question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm working in an entry-level in-house position for an international asset management company in a non-large market (definitely not NYC, Chicago, etc.), and my offer was for $80,000. But, I will say the that we have about 10 lawyers, so also do consider the size of the legal team.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:03 pm

3|ink wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad here and I think I finally may have snagged something. I applied to a postgraduate intern position with a small office of a large international firm about a month ago. After going through a couple of interviews, I have an appointment for a call with the partner who is heading up the office (I interviewed with him already). I know that offers typically come via phone, and I doubt they would schedule a time to call just to tell me I wasn't getting the job, so I am starting to get excited! Since this office does not participate in the firm's usual recruiting process I have no idea what the compensation would be, but unless it is something absolutely terrible I am definitely going to take it.
Grats
Same anon with an update: it wasn't an offer. Some logistical issues came up that may be insurmountable, so I've been put in a holding pattern. Man, this hurts.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:02 am

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:00 am

I'm kinda stressed out. I Had two good interviews last week, but I haven't heard back from either yet. Not sure when I should start panicking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:43 am

just struck out with a v10 and another market-paying firm in the same week. Both post-cb. As a 2015 grad. This is just getting more and more fun every month that goes by

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:02 am

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:14 pm

Question re: reaching out to a partner: I interviewed with a firm at the beginning of December and haven't heard anything. I have done the typical update and follow up with the recruiter. During the interview, a partner gave me some professional advice about being a young lawyer and what to do in your first few months. The advice was unique enough that it stood out to me and I remembered it and most of that conversation. Would it be super weird/painfully transparent at this point to email him and thank him for the advice? I have honestly had that conversation on my mind and it has been really beneficial, buuuuut I don't want to come off as a brown nose-r. Or like I am using it as a pretense to push them into making a decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:07 pm

Got a call on Tuesday from a firm I applied to in December. The HR person asked if I was still interested in the position. I said yes. She said she'd get back to me if we could schedule a meeting.

Today I got a rejection letter from the firm. It is dated Tuesday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a call on Tuesday from a firm I applied to in December. The HR person asked if I was still interested in the position. I said yes. She said she'd get back to me if we could schedule a meeting.

Today I got a rejection letter from the firm. It is dated Tuesday.
I would call HR person. Possible they prepared letters to reject those not in contention and you got included somehow. Also possible she screwed up in calling you. What I'm saying is there's a screw-up one way or another, and you might as well find out which kind of screw up it was.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:05 am

Had an interview today with a top Pl firm that felt like it went really well. Hopefully I will be out of the vale soon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:59 am

So I was laid off yesterday. They let me go because I was the last hire and they didn't have enough work to keep me at the firm. I'm in a secondary market, and I had been at this boutique litigation firm for almost a year. They were really nice and said I provided great work product and that there wasn't anything I could do since this was about getting enough work from clients. They even gave me a 1-month severance with health insurance.

However, it still really hurts. I've been out of law school for 3 years now. While I've had some decent gigs compared to a good deal of my classmates, having to start over again this suddenly when I thought things were getting figured out is really painful. Luckily I have some savings and can make it for 6 months if necessary, but god damn it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:08 am

For V50 NYC firms, how long after cb can an offer take? 3L here

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”