The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Mourning and Weeping in the Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting)

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 pm

TTH wrote:
rad lulz wrote: Check you FCPA bro. Sucks.
FCPA don't mean shit when you're already expat'ing to dodge student loan creditors.
I learned in Fed Tax to renounce my American citizenship so I won't get taxed on my overseas Mexican income. Thanks, law school!

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Sup y'all. Job hunt sucks.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Omerta wrote:Sup y'all. Job hunt sucks.
Yuh brah. You stayin sane bro?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone else just want to not practice law? i hate the practice and the people...so i'm also in tears over the fact that not only do I not have a job, I am stuck in a field I hate ...without a job. what a mess
Got any tips on how to figure this out BEFORE attending Law School? I'd really appreciate it.
1) Don't go unless it's to a T6 school

2) GTFO of this thread. After seeing our peers have incredible success while we face insurmountable mountains of debt, everyone here is jaded--and no one wants to help you.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RickyDnwhyc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone else just want to not practice law? i hate the practice and the people...so i'm also in tears over the fact that not only do I not have a job, I am stuck in a field I hate ...without a job. what a mess
Got any tips on how to figure this out BEFORE attending Law School? I'd really appreciate it.
1) Don't go unless it's to a T6 school

2) GTFO of this thread. After seeing our peers have incredible success while we face insurmountable mountains of debt, everyone here is jaded--and no one wants to help you.
Credited. Also fixed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Jessuf wrote:
TTH wrote: Failing all this, how about we all get together, move to some TTT jurisdiction, and open a plaintiff's firm? I'd look okay on a phonebook.
What about Hawaii? Seems like a credited place to live. I'd like to be an SA.
Aren't you a 2L?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 am

rad lulz wrote:
Tryin'. I'm an idiot and doing a bunch of extra school shit I don't need to do.

Yo, does anyone know what you're supposed to do re: Barzam? Do you just guess what state you want to work in and get barred there?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 am

Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yo, does anyone know what you're supposed to do re: Barzam? Do you just guess what state you want to work in and get barred there?
Yeah school is the worst.

Basically that's how I understand it. Depending on when registration deadlines are, it might be a decent idea to register for a couple bars just in case by some miracle you get a job in another state. In the likely event that that doesn't happen, I'll probably end up taking the bar where we are from because that's where my connections are.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 am

rad lulz wrote:
Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yeah school is the worst.

Basically that's how I understand it. Depending on when registration deadlines are, it might be a decent idea to register for a couple bars just in case by some miracle you get a job in another state. In the likely event that that doesn't happen, I'll probably end up taking the bar where we are from because that's where my connections are.
Lol we're so fucked. I applied to about 275 firms so far (excluding clerkships and gov't shit). Results? Zero (0).

edit: I crack up every time I see "Able Seaman" as a job category on USAJobs.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am

Omerta wrote:
Lol we're so fucked. I applied to about 275 firms so far (excluding clerkships and gov't shit). Results? Zero (0).

Damn bro. That's rough. I've had shit results, but I haven't dropped nearly as many apps as you have. Also, re: the Barzam, my plan is to take it where I live and look at which states will give reciprocity or will allow me to only do part of the barzam in their state if I pass here. e.g., If I do well enough on the MC on the Ohio bar, I only have to do the essays if I take the WV bar in February.

hermanblume

New

Post by hermanblume » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 am

Question for wise 3Ls: what's the etiquette on mass-mailing during the summer if you have 2L SA but are looking to upgrade to a firm that is better in your practice area (or if you want to switch practice areas). OK to mass-mail firms in other cities?
Firms in the same city as your 2L SA? Thinking it might be risky because HR people may talk.
Or is it best to wait for 3L OCI and mass-mail at that time?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:08 am

TTH wrote:
Omerta wrote:

Damn bro. That's rough. I've had shit results, but I haven't dropped nearly as many apps as you have. Also, re: the Barzam, my plan is to take it where I live and look at which states will give reciprocity or will allow me to only do part of the barzam in their state if I pass here. e.g., If I do well enough on the MC on the Ohio bar, I only have to do the essays if I take the WV bar in February.
Actually not entirely true. I had several clerkship interviews, which actually makes the total lack of firm interest that much more distressing.

I've totally ignored the barzam, so I have to figure out what I'm going to do on that front asap. I've been applying all over the place, so maybe it's related to an irrational hope that I'll nail something in the near future.
hermanblume wrote:Question for wise 3Ls: what's the etiquette on mass-mailing during the summer if you have 2L SA but are looking to upgrade to a firm that is better in your practice area (or if you want to switch practice areas). OK to mass-mail firms in other cities?
Firms in the same city as your 2L SA? Thinking it might be risky because HR people may talk.
Emailing APPS in the summer is stupid. Network if you can. It's overwhelmingly likely that no firm will be interested in interviewing you until they see (1) if you got an offer (2) how many offers they are going to give to people in their own SA class. I'd focus on creating targeted apps to firms you're interested in because switching firms is far from a cakewalk. Focus on doing well during your 2L summer. That should be your only goal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm

hermanblume wrote:Question for wise 3Ls: what's the etiquette on mass-mailing during the summer if you have 2L SA but are looking to upgrade to a firm that is better in your practice area (or if you want to switch practice areas). OK to mass-mail firms in other cities?
Hey brah, protip: none of us are trying to trade up. There are a bunch of threads about this. Wrong damn thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Are any of the 3Ls here looking because you were no-offered at the 2L SA level? If so, did you sense the no-offer was coming, or was it a surprise. Asking as a 2L heading into an SA, trying to get a handle on things. Thx.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are any of the 3Ls here looking because you were no-offered at the 2L SA level? If so, did you sense the no-offer was coming, or was it a surprise. Asking as a 2L heading into an SA, trying to get a handle on things. Thx.
Several of the people in this thread were no-offered. From their experience and my friends', it varies. For many, they know they screwed up in some way and then got no-offered. Others have no idea until their exit interview/letter. Just assume you will be no-offered and kill yourself working and networking this summer.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are any of the 3Ls here looking because you were no-offered at the 2L SA level? If so, did you sense the no-offer was coming, or was it a surprise. Asking as a 2L heading into an SA, trying to get a handle on things. Thx.
Wrong thread, anon abuser.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Hopefully the new topic title clears things up.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 pm

TTH wrote:Hopefully the new topic title clears things up.
ty ty bro.

This isn't a zoo exhibit of the unemployed.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Rejected from most of the 200+ apps I sent out. Following up on silence usually involves a rejection a few hours later. Hello alcohol.

bronson

New

Post by bronson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:14 pm

I've kept up with TLS for the past three years - both as a source of legit info and for the lulz - but this thread made me want to step into the ring.

Planning on bombarding both my home market and ls market with resumes over the holidays. Worried that no one will take a serious look until/unless the bar is taken and passed.

Convince me that a non-NYU/Gtown/UF tax llm is not going to solve my problems so that I can get the thought of applying out of my head.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm

bronson wrote:I've kept up with TLS for the past three years - both as a source of legit info and for the lulz - but this thread made me want to step into the ring.

Planning on bombarding both my home market and ls market with resumes over the holidays. Worried that no one will take a serious look until/unless the bar is taken and passed.

Convince me that a non-NYU/Gtown/UF tax llm is not going to solve my problems so that I can get the thought of applying out of my head.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:20 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:Hopefully the new topic title clears things up.
ty ty bro.

This isn't a zoo exhibit of the unemployed.
nothing to add, but just lol at this statement.
bronson wrote:I've kept up with TLS for the past three years - both as a source of legit info and for the lulz - but this thread made me want to step into the ring.

--LinkRemoved--)

bronson

New

Post by bronson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:53 pm

starchinkilt wrote:

Problem solved, ty.

Should've gone to Clown College...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Omerta wrote:edit: I crack up every time I see "Able Seaman" as a job category on USAJobs.
Too bad we are overqualified for those.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”