The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
J. R. Capablanca

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:30 pm

NYstate wrote:Personally I find your suggestions that people abandon their life just because they have debt extremely distasteful. There are ways under PAYE that don't require you to leave the country or whatever stupid desperate plan you are suggesting.

Telling people their situation is so bad that they have to flee the country is just wrong. I'm not sure why you are so cynical or why you think your advice about what you would hypothetically do in a situation is useful or instructive.
Let's say hypothetically a young man goes to NYU at sticker, misses the biglaw boat, and graduates with 225k in debt. What else would you suggest he do?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:32 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
NYstate wrote:Personally I find your suggestions that people abandon their life just because they have debt extremely distasteful. There are ways under PAYE that don't require you to leave the country or whatever stupid desperate plan you are suggesting.

Telling people their situation is so bad that they have to flee the country is just wrong. I'm not sure why you are so cynical or why you think your advice about what you would hypothetically do in a situation is useful or instructive.
Let's say hypothetically a young man goes to NYU at sticker, misses the biglaw boat, and graduates with 225k in debt. What else would you suggest he do?
bjsesq wrote:A government job would get me into the school's loan repayment job that would be used in conjunction with PAYE, a program that I qualify for. If not that, I would have to rely on Paye. The tax bomb at the end would suck ass, but at least it would allow me to live and provide for those I care about. But yeah, sure, FFL is a great plan.

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
And you felt the need to inform the thread of this when you apparently already have a job, why? Because you're a fucking douche?
Where did I do that?
Inform us of your plan? Are you fucking so incapable of writing cogently that you meant to ask me "where did i say I have a job" when this drivel above is what you actually wrote?
Dude, you're right. I don't know your situation and can't guess your debt load. I also hope you find a way out of your current predicament. What I am saying is that if I was a young person with law school debt and no job, I would resort to one of the alternatives I listed.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:35 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
And you felt the need to inform the thread of this when you apparently already have a job, why? Because you're a fucking douche?
Where did I do that?
Inform us of your plan? Are you fucking so incapable of writing cogently that you meant to ask me "where did i say I have a job" when this drivel above is what you actually wrote?
Dude, you're right. I don't know your situation and can't guess your debt load. I also hope you find a way out of your current predicament. What I am saying is that if I was a young person with law school debt and no job, I would resort to one of the alternatives I listed.
Be a hot chick and find a beta rich dude. K. What a great plan. Jesus fucking christ, you are dense.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:36 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
I'm letting you know there are alternatives which might seem unfeasible at first but are entirely workable.
As you've never done any of those alternatives, you have no idea how workable they are. Not to mention, there are soldiers in this thread and on this board, suggesting that they just join the French foreign legion is insulting to them. You don't know anything about their experiences.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:39 pm

NYstate wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
I'm letting you know there are alternatives which might seem unfeasible at first but are entirely workable.
As you've never done any of those alternatives, you have no idea how workable they are. Not to mention, there are soldiers in this thread and on this board, suggesting that they just join the French foreign legion is insulting to them. You don't know anything about their experiences.
I know a number of people who have moved abroad to escape their student debt with success. This is perfectly feasible if you are a young man with nothing tying you down.

Look, part of this has to do with injustice. The TTT law professors and Sallie Mae are giant scam artists. Why should you give them the satisfaction of profiting from your misery?
Last edited by J. R. Capablanca on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
NYstate wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
I know a number of people who have moved abroad to escape their student debt with success. This is perfectly feasible if you are a young man with nothing tying you down.
Tell me, then, what is serving in the FFL, or any elite military unit for that matter, like? One of us has already done it.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Don't feed the troll.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:42 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:I know a number of people who have moved abroad to escape their student debt with success. This is perfectly feasible if you are a young man with nothing tying you down.
Define success. (And I guess women are stuck with finding a rich husband?)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43 pm

seespotrun wrote:Don't feed the troll.
It's that same fucking sirpartner guy, I imagine. The issue is, this fuckbag likely believes this shit. Those xoxo/scamblog idiots are part of a fucking echo chamber about life after law school and it gets a bit old when they come here and try to educate the unwashed masses.

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:45 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Tell me, then, what is serving in the FFL, or any elite military unit for that matter, like? One of us has already done it.
The first few months will be very, very hard. You will be stressed to the breaking point, disoriented, shouted at, verbally, probably even physically abused. You must learn french on a dime, and if you don't catch on quickly, you will be punished for it. After you get done with training, your life will get significantly easier. You will get free time and spending money, though you will still be required to work hard and stay in shape.

No walk in the park, but for me personally, better than the alternative.

Edit: Look, part of this has to do with injustice. The TTT law professors and Sallie Mae are giant scam artists. Why should you give them the satisfaction of profiting from your misery?
Last edited by J. R. Capablanca on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:46 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
The first few months will be very, very hard. You will be stressed to the breaking point, disoriented, shouted at, verbally, probably even physically abused. You must learn french on a dime, and if you don't catch on quickly, you will be punished for it. After you get done with training, your life will get significantly easier. You will get free time and spending money, though you will still be required to work hard and stay in shape.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:I know a number of people who have moved abroad to escape their student debt with success. This is perfectly feasible if you are a young man with nothing tying you down.
Define success. (And I guess women are stuck with finding a rich husband?)

They moved on with their lives, got different careers, learned a new language, and no longer have to worry about debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:53 pm

bjsesq wrote:
It's that same fucking sirpartner guy, I imagine. The issue is, this fuckbag likely believes this shit. Those xoxo/scamblog idiots are part of a fucking echo chamber about life after law school and it gets a bit old when they come here and try to educate the unwashed masses.
You're right about all of that. But I don't think that is lost on any of the folks reading this thread. And you're not going to change his derpy opinion about methods of dealing with the situation you face.

If it's therapeutic to smash his internet derp into oblivion, then by all means proceed. I'd be happy to chime in and let him know how stupid his neanderthaloid ideas are, but I suspect that's exactly what he wants.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:55 pm

seespotrun wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
You're right about all of that. But I don't think that is lost on any of the folks reading this thread. And you're not going to change his derpy opinion about methods of dealing with the situation you face.

If it's therapeutic to smash his internet derp into oblivion, then by all means proceed. I'd be happy to chime in and let him know how stupid his neanderthaloid ideas are, but I suspect that's exactly what he wants.
You are probably correct

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:17 pm

seespotrun wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you're right (I get sucked in easily). Further evidence: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=214282

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:25 pm

bjsesq wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

This exchange makes me happy.

I don't care if someone trolls other threads, but not this one which has a specific purpose.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:02 pm

never mind.

I will not feed the troll.

ETA: I will say this, the FFL is incredibly picky and has literally 20 incredibly in shape African, South American, and Asian dudes lining up for every spoiled out of shape American with delusions of grandeur and a copy of "Mouthful of Rocks" in their back pocket. So good luck to anyone who isn't in incredible shape, speaks fluent french, and has prior military experience, and doesn't wear glasses. Because unless you meet all four of those, you aren't getting in.

Source: I really really wanted to join back in the day and have done a SHITTON of research.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Hey guys,

Graduated this past May from a T14, struck out at OCI, summer position was never going to lead to a permanent offer and so have been in the vale for quite a while now. Just got my first callback interview in a really long time, at a midsize firm in the east coast. It's a full service firm but has a few niches that it is highly specialized in, I can't really give more info than that without potentially outing the firm, but think more transactional/contracts related. Just wanted to see if I could get some tips for the interview, as I'm a bit nervous and rusty in general (interviews have been pretty hard to come by). I've also never had an in person interview with a small/midsize firm, as most of the ones that granted me interviews went with phone interviews and I was either told to hold tight in case something came up and that they would keep my resume on file, or I would just be straight up rejected. Grade-wise,w as below median, graduated below median but not substantially so by any means, have some interesting/unique international experience/background, did some relevant clinics during law school and gained good experience that way, pretty social person. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys so much!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

Graduated this past May from a T14, struck out at OCI, summer position was never going to lead to a permanent offer and so have been in the vale for quite a while now. Just got my first callback interview in a really long time, at a midsize firm in the east coast. It's a full service firm but has a few niches that it is highly specialized in, I can't really give more info than that without potentially outing the firm, but think more transactional/contracts related. Just wanted to see if I could get some tips for the interview, as I'm a bit nervous and rusty in general (interviews have been pretty hard to come by). I've also never had an in person interview with a small/midsize firm, as most of the ones that granted me interviews went with phone interviews and I was either told to hold tight in case something came up and that they would keep my resume on file, or I would just be straight up rejected. Grade-wise,w as below median, graduated below median but not substantially so by any means, have some interesting/unique international experience/background, did some relevant clinics during law school and gained good experience that way, pretty social person. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys so much!
Congrats! As a former unemployed 3L, I'm happy for you. It is possible to get out of the VAle, and you graduated this past May from a relatively great school. You're as ready to get employment as anyone else.

I would say to be confident first and foremost. This firm obviously has some strong interest in you because they're going to fly you out on their dime. Take that as a good sign!

I would just start by preparing and crafting some natural-sounding and believable answers to questions that you would typically get. "Why this firm?" "What area are you interested in?" "Tell me about yourself."

Also, just prepare some questions that show you really did your research. And also ask questions that give the interviewer a chance to talk about himself and brag a little (I found that worked for me at least). People like talking about themselves ;)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:35 pm

People all over facebook posting about how they are starting their new jobs tomorrow. Really hope one day I can post something like that. :(.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

Congrats! As a former unemployed 3L, I'm happy for you. It is possible to get out of the VAle, and you graduated this past May from a relatively great school. You're as ready to get employment as anyone else.

I would say to be confident first and foremost. This firm obviously has some strong interest in you because they're going to fly you out on their dime. Take that as a good sign!

I would just start by preparing and crafting some natural-sounding and believable answers to questions that you would typically get. "Why this firm?" "What area are you interested in?" "Tell me about yourself."

Also, just prepare some questions that show you really did your research. And also ask questions that give the interviewer a chance to talk about himself and brag a little (I found that worked for me at least). People like talking about themselves ;)
What do you mean about preparing? Prepare like you would for an interview at any firm. Know the niche practices; be ready to articulate why you want to work there. Why you want transactional. Even connections to the area.

Most of all work on your confidence. You have great credentials. They are looking for a person who they want to work with, be like able. That shouldn't be to hard. You have a lot going for you.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:52 pm

bjsesq wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

He's never served a day in the military, let alone a Ranger bat or anything resembling SF. I just find it funny he's telling you about life in the military and "how easy" it is. Why isn't he banned yet?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice guys! I think getting over nerves and trying to really project confidence is going to be the toughest thing for me, so that's what I'm going to have to make a strong effort to do tomorrow. I've been preparing pretty hard for the interview, doing my research, practicing my answers, and thinking of good questions to ask about the firm and to the partners themselves. Thanks again. I'll definitely let y'all know how it goes. *Fingers crossed!*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”