The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying to a job posting that I've applied to before (it's a symplicity posting with a year-end deadline that gets refreshed every year). I was dinged via e-mail (before having a screener or anything) the first time I applied, which was last year. At the time, I was underqualified for the position. I am now qualified for the position and wish to apply again. The posting asks for a resume and cover letter. At any point should I indicate that I've applied before, or do I just treat the second application as an entirely new application? I assume the latter, but the idea of informing them "hey you have a file on me already and i'm now significantly more qualified" to save them time, etc. seems reasonable as well.
Anyone?

Edit: gonna try making a separate thread about this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying to a job posting that I've applied to before (it's a symplicity posting with a year-end deadline that gets refreshed every year). I was dinged via e-mail (before having a screener or anything) the first time I applied, which was last year. At the time, I was underqualified for the position. I am now qualified for the position and wish to apply again. The posting asks for a resume and cover letter. At any point should I indicate that I've applied before, or do I just treat the second application as an entirely new application? I assume the latter, but the idea of informing them "hey you have a file on me already and i'm now significantly more qualified" to save them time, etc. seems reasonable as well.
Anyone?

Treat as entirely new application. They go through so many applications that they probably won't remember looking at your resume.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Finally out of the vale! Got bar results yesterday and job offer today! Keep your heads up and keep applying. Best of luck to everyone!
Congrats, dude.

MichelleMichelle

New

Post by MichelleMichelle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone?

Treat as entirely new application. They go through so many applications that they probably won't remember looking at your resume.
As far as the OP, I think both options would be fine. But many big firms use resume tracking software. You're right that they go through so many resumes that the recruiter will probably not remember you. But the software might catch a former application. I only mention it as a heads up to other people who may be dealing with this scenario. I did not know that when I was applying and I would have changed my application strategy if I had known.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 am

Finally out of the vale! About two months ago I sat down and mass mailed every firm in my city. Several of those e-mails turned into interviews, and one of those interviews just turned into an offer, and its with the best firm in town! I couldn't be happier. Keep at it, never give up, even when you feel like its hopeless and you will get something!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Posted in last two weeks on Symplicity

Wilson Sonsini (Austin) - IP Lit
Nutter (Boston) - Private Client
Conn Kavanaugh (Boston) - General Lit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:01 pm

So when does it become appropriate to start mass mailing smaller to mid-size firms in my city? I've been told most don't know what their needs will be until early next year. Or should I start to cultivate those relationships?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So when does it become appropriate to start mass mailing smaller to mid-size firms in my city? I've been told most don't know what their needs will be until early next year. Or should I start to cultivate those relationships?
cultivate those relationships, don't apply yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So when does it become appropriate to start mass mailing smaller to mid-size firms in my city? I've been told most don't know what their needs will be until early next year. Or should I start to cultivate those relationships?
cultivate those relationships, don't apply yet
What is good, general advice for how to cultivate relationships? I've never really known how to do that/what to say.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Any 3Ls out there just reading the comments in here feeling like shit after OCIs fell through?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:34 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:Posted in last two weeks on Symplicity

Wilson Sonsini (Austin) - IP Lit
Nutter (Boston) - Private Client
Conn Kavanaugh (Boston) - General Lit
Has anybody heard back from Nutter Boston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:38 pm

I got my first rejection letter in a while today. I'm so used to just hearing nothing but I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I don't really feel anything anymore. All I know is I wish I were dead.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got my first rejection letter in a while today. I'm so used to just hearing nothing but I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I don't really feel anything anymore. All I know is I wish I were dead.
Idk if this is hyperbole or not, but if you need to vent or anything shoot a pm. Don't let your career define your worth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got my first rejection letter in a while today. I'm so used to just hearing nothing but I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I don't really feel anything anymore. All I know is I wish I were dead.
Idk if this is hyperbole or not, but if you need to vent or anything shoot a pm. Don't let your career define your worth.
Not hyperbole. I'm substitute teaching and barely avoiding homelessness. I'm going to have to put my student loan payments on credit cards here soon. I am miserable every second of every day. Going to law school has been the worst decision of my life. I am less employable than I was before I went.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Out of the Vale as a 3l with King County PD. Good luck to all of you. Keep fighting

Broncsfan

New

Post by Broncsfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Same. Here for you if you need

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Not hyperbole. I'm substitute teaching and barely avoiding homelessness. I'm going to have to put my student loan payments on credit cards here soon. I am miserable every second of every day. Going to law school has been the worst decision of my life. I am less employable than I was before I went.
Have you passed any bar?Have you moved your payments to an income based plan?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
if you are eligible for IBR/PAYE put your loans on those plans. feel free PM if you need to talk. Hang in there <3

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:48 pm

andythefir wrote:
I passed my state bar. Been looking for anything I can but my schools CSO is worse than useless and have basically just told me to fuck off when I ask for help. Every dollar I earn goes to keeping a roof over my head so even ibr is too much. I'm looking for retail work but haven't been able to find anything. I don't have health insurance which is giving me panic attacks on top of everything else. I've sold most of my stuff on craigslist at this point, most of the money I had saved from my SA went to paying for the bar and Barbri which has been a massive waste of time and money. If i had been working during that time I'd be way better off now. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

quirky

New

Post by quirky » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
I passed my state bar. Been looking for anything I can but my schools CSO is worse than useless and have basically just told me to fuck off when I ask for help. Every dollar I earn goes to keeping a roof over my head so even ibr is too much. I'm looking for retail work but haven't been able to find anything. I don't have health insurance which is giving me panic attacks on top of everything else. I've sold most of my stuff on craigslist at this point, most of the money I had saved from my SA went to paying for the bar and Barbri which has been a massive waste of time and money. If i had been working during that time I'd be way better off now. I don't know how much more of this I can take.
What state are you in?

ETA my firm is interviewing for one position right now. Pay isn't fabulous but great place to work and great experience.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
School range, grades?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:

Keep fighting man. You will honestly make it. I know you will because you won't give up. The fact that you are on here and fighting makes me think you will be okay, Hang in there and fight

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:40 am

Pleasye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
if you are eligible for IBR/PAYE put your loans on those plans. feel free PM if you need to talk. Hang in there <3
Yeah actually if you're substitute teaching enough hours these months of PAYE/IBR payments might even qualify toward public service loan forgiveness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:42 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
School range, grades?
Median top 30

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:
I’m sorry you’re in this position. New Mexico’s 5th DA is hiring (http://nmdas.com/districts/fifth/index.html). Check New Mexico’s bar bulletin, there are usually several entry level job postings per week (https://www.nmbar.org/Nmstatebar/Public ... letin.aspx). You can start right away if you’ve passed the bar anywhere. I’m happy to answer any questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”