The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:26 pm

What would more likely lead to paid FTLT JD required employment--an unpaid clerkship with a judge or volunteering for a legal aid org? All of my internships have been direct legal services with indigent clients, so I think that the clerkship would diversify my resume a bit.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What would more likely lead to paid FTLT JD required employment--an unpaid clerkship with a judge or volunteering for a legal aid org? All of my internships have been direct legal services with indigent clients, so I think that the clerkship would diversify my resume a bit.
That might help, yeah. Do you have to specify on your resume that it's unpaid? Cause if it just says "clerkship," that's going to help you out a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:34 pm

It is incredibly difficult to study for exams coming up with unemployment looming over my head. I don't know how to do it, but I can't. At this point, I am simply looking to pass my classes.

The shit law school has done to my mental health is incredible.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:It is incredibly difficult to study for exams coming up with unemployment looming over my head. I don't know how to do it, but I can't. At this point, I am simply looking to pass my classes.

I hear ya about the feeling of impending doom, man, but what the heck are you doing taking classes with exams as a 3L? That's just torturing yourself. :o

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:05 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It is incredibly difficult to study for exams coming up with unemployment looming over my head. I don't know how to do it, but I can't. At this point, I am simply looking to pass my classes.

I hear ya about the feeling of impending doom, man, but what the heck are you doing taking classes with exams as a 3L? That's just torturing yourself. :o
3 hour exams>>>>>>>>Bullshit 30 page seminar papers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:07 am

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What would more likely lead to paid FTLT JD required employment--an unpaid clerkship with a judge or volunteering for a legal aid org? All of my internships have been direct legal services with indigent clients, so I think that the clerkship would diversify my resume a bit.
That might help, yeah. Do you have to specify on your resume that it's unpaid? Cause if it just says "clerkship," that's going to help you out a lot.
The position is officially called "Judicial Fellowship" and everyone in the Philadelphia legal community knows that they are unpaid gigs with local Court of Common Pleas judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:57 am

I actually don't mind taking exams, I look at it like a game.

Plus it is way easier to cram for a day or two before the exam, and take it, then to write a 30 page paper, imo

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually don't mind taking exams, I look at it like a game.

Plus it is way easier to cram for a day or two before the exam, and take it, then to write a 30 page paper, imo
Much, MUCH easier. Though I will say, I got super lucky my finale semester: I specifically saved externship credits for it, so the only other thing I had to do was write a paper. I wrote a 50 page paper and got it done like a month before the deadline, and then my externship ended and I had nothing to do for the last 2-3 weeks of school. No class, no tests, no nothing. And that's when the mono hit me. Left me bedridden for nearly a month. I would have been totally screwed if I had had to take an exam at the end of April or in May.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually don't mind taking exams, I look at it like a game.

It's the exact opposite for me--I stress the fuck out over exams, making an outline and studying for weeks to then sit through a 3-4 hour test. It is much less stressful for me to just leisurely spend a few months writing a paper at my own pace. Hell, I likely spend as much time as I do on a paper as I do on my outline alone. And writing papers has the added benefit of not having to pay attention in class/take notes.

Though I likely have this preference because I generally am hoping for Bs in exam classes and have a good shot of A+s in writing classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:34 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

It's the exact opposite for me--I stress the fuck out over exams, making an outline and studying for weeks to then sit through a 3-4 hour test. It is much less stressful for me to just leisurely spend a few months writing a paper at my own pace. Hell, I likely spend as much time as I do on a paper as I do on my outline alone. And writing papers has the added benefit of not having to pay attention in class/take notes.

Though I likely have this preference because I generally am hoping for Bs in exam classes and have a good shot of A+s in writing classes.
See for me, I like the fast paced nature, the get it done, the stress, and the excitement. It feels like practicing and getting ready for a championship game. The only ones I hate are those with multiple choice.

Essay, issue spotter, -> Usually around an A, Multiple Choice -> looking up if my school gives Fs, lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:20 pm

Poster who had a meeting/interview with a state agency. Meeting went really well! The only current position they have open in a 2 year experience position, but the way they were talking is that they might be able to change that requirement. Who knows.. I've sent my thank you emails and now I'll just cross my fingers they liked me enough to give me a job!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:00 pm

I have a question. I finally got a job offer as an unemployed grad. It's in a place I'd like to work and I really liked the people I met but the office has a bit of a reputation. I semi-verbally accepted (I was really excited and had no reason not to). I haven't signed anything and my start date is several weeks out from now.

Literally that afternoon, my dream office called to offer me an interview. I should know an answer by the end of the week from them. I guess my question is how crappy is it to renege on the other offer if I get the dream job?

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Poster who had a meeting/interview with a state agency. Meeting went really well! The only current position they have open in a 2 year experience position, but the way they were talking is that they might be able to change that requirement. Who knows.. I've sent my thank you emails and now I'll just cross my fingers they liked me enough to give me a job!

May be a silly question but have you already filled out the application?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question. I finally got a job offer as an unemployed grad. It's in a place I'd like to work and I really liked the people I met but the office has a bit of a reputation. I semi-verbally accepted (I was really excited and had no reason not to). I haven't signed anything and my start date is several weeks out from now.

Literally that afternoon, my dream office called to offer me an interview. I should know an answer by the end of the week from them. I guess my question is how crappy is it to renege on the other offer if I get the dream job?
Call them as soon as you know more about your preferred job and let them know that your circumstances have changed and you can no longer accept the job. Do not angst over this issue. This is a big deal for you but is not a big deal for them. They will not even remember you a few months from now. To them it's like oil sliding off ice.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Agreed. Look out for YOU. I assure you they will look out for them so don't concern yourself with it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:32 pm

I know this is probably over thinking but it really makes me crazy. Had an interview with a firm last Thursday. It went well, though I would not say prefect. They say they like my background, experience and my writing sample is great, which I take as a good sign. At the end of the interview, the partner told me they want me to speak with another partner in their practice group, and it will be a phone interview. Then I went back home, wrote thank you note and wait for hearing from the HR to schedule the phone interview.

But now it is Tuesday, I haven't heard anything from firm. Does this mean anything? or they are just super busy right now? plan to send the HR a follow up email tonight to see what happened .

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this is probably over thinking but it really makes me crazy. Had an interview with a firm last Thursday. It went well, though I would not say prefect. They say they like my background, experience and my writing sample is great, which I take as a good sign. At the end of the interview, the partner told me they want me to speak with another partner in their practice group, and it will be a phone interview. Then I went back home, wrote thank you note and wait for hearing from the HR to schedule the phone interview.

But now it is Tuesday, I haven't heard anything from firm. Does this mean anything? or they are just super busy right now? plan to send the HR a follow up email tonight to see what happened .
For whatever it's worth, I had an interview with a firm that had already expressed interest in me (and I had a relationship with some of the attorneys). The interview went phenomenally well and they told me they'd be making decisions over the following two weeks. I didn't hear back for a month (at which point they said they would like to invite me back to meet more of the attorneys). It has now been over a week since I've heard anything.

It think it's easy for firms to just get busy and take more time than planned making decisions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:34 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know this is probably over thinking but it really makes me crazy. Had an interview with a firm last Thursday. It went well, though I would not say prefect. They say they like my background, experience and my writing sample is great, which I take as a good sign. At the end of the interview, the partner told me they want me to speak with another partner in their practice group, and it will be a phone interview. Then I went back home, wrote thank you note and wait for hearing from the HR to schedule the phone interview.

For whatever it's worth, I had an interview with a firm that had already expressed interest in me (and I had a relationship with some of the attorneys). The interview went phenomenally well and they told me they'd be making decisions over the following two weeks. I didn't hear back for a month (at which point they said they would like to invite me back to meet more of the attorneys). It has now been over a week since I've heard anything.

It think it's easy for firms to just get busy and take more time than planned making decisions.
Yes, I think you are right. Just need to get to used to this.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:05 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

Very true. At firms, recruiting committee duties are literally the bottom priority. It can take a lot of time to get people to submit reviews or even to find a time when everyone can meet to discuss a candidate since billable work will always take priority. So even if they thought it would be X number of weeks, suddenly one of the partners has a status conference with the court that's rescheduled for the time they were supposed to meet so that's out of the picture and the next time everyone can meet is three weeks from now.

To the original asker about the phone interview with the other partner: there's a good chance that partner is traveling/has a deadline coming up/something else and just hasn't gotten back to anyone about his or her availability. It happens all the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:28 pm

On the same boat. I am not even excited about my graduation ceremony...it actually stresses me out even more. Everyone around me keeps asking about my future plans. It is so annoying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:51 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Very true. At firms, recruiting committee duties are literally the bottom priority. It can take a lot of time to get people to submit reviews or even to find a time when everyone can meet to discuss a candidate since billable work will always take priority. So even if they thought it would be X number of weeks, suddenly one of the partners has a status conference with the court that's rescheduled for the time they were supposed to meet so that's out of the picture and the next time everyone can meet is three weeks from now.

To the original asker about the phone interview with the other partner: there's a good chance that partner is traveling/has a deadline coming up/something else and just hasn't gotten back to anyone about his or her availability. It happens all the time.
Original asker here.
emailed HR tonight, got response saying the partner is out of office, hopefully will get back to me on Friday.
Thank you all! you are right, I was just over thinking. better to spend the time worrying on submitting more resume.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:50 am

horriblegb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Poster who had a meeting/interview with a state agency. Meeting went really well! The only current position they have open in a 2 year experience position, but the way they were talking is that they might be able to change that requirement. Who knows.. I've sent my thank you emails and now I'll just cross my fingers they liked me enough to give me a job!

The application only involved emailing your resume to the head of HR. Someone referred my resume to HR, who sent it to OGC, who then reached out to me for a meeting/interview. I made sure to give them my transcript, references and writing sample at the end just so they could have it on file. I met with the general counsel and deputy counsel... So worst case scenario is that the decision makers know me now.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

The application only involved emailing your resume to the head of HR. Someone referred my resume to HR, who sent it to OGC, who then reached out to me for a meeting/interview. I made sure to give them my transcript, references and writing sample at the end just so they could have it on file. I met with the general counsel and deputy counsel... So worst case scenario is that the decision makers know me now.

Ah ok I was just curious knowing how strict the gov't application process can be!

Looking forward to hearing some good news from you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:27 pm

horriblegb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ah ok I was just curious knowing how strict the gov't application process can be!

Looking forward to hearing some good news from you!
After dealing with the federal government programs for 6 months and going through the whole process only to get a "we like you a lot, but you're second choice." I can tell you the state governments are so different. Very informal application process. Usually only an email to the head of HR. I like it a lot better. :)

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed for my dream job last week. They haven't officially rejected me yet, but the more I thought about my interview, the more I realized that I wouldn't hire me if I had been on the other side.

So I'm checking in for the long journey ahead.
I was in a similar position in the past. Keep hustling.
Thanks for the support. It means a lot. I hope I too will get out of this.
Original OP. I jumped the gun on getting sad---I just got the offer today. My weirdness during the interview was apparently welcomed.

Keep dreaming/hoping/hustling, y'all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”