The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cant_stump_trump2020

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Cant_stump_trump2020 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Can't believe I'm about to be expected to return to class ontop of all this shit... smh. Family and friends are starting to get annoyed at my doom and gloom. At least im starting to accept this situation

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L who interviewed with Latham at OCI's 2 weeks ago. I had a callback at their SD office last Thursday. Awaiting their call now. Never even SA at a firm. Pray for me... Trying to achieve the impossible...
Anon -- PM me

theInnerCircle

New

Post by theInnerCircle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 pm

Sweetdeal068 wrote:Hi EvelynS, of course! Happy to share! Mmhm, I got that question as I went through the state government interview process. So what I did was just to be honest. I said that I was spending the time with my family and friends, especially after 7 years of straight schooling (I went to law school straight from college, like a lot of people here!). And also, I mentioned intellectual hobbies such as reading, creative writing, like keeping your mind sharp during the wait. I also mentioned that job hunting was very time consuming too! If they ask about volunteer work, I was honest and explained that I hadn't found anything! I really did find that employers understood how tough it is to find a job, and as long as you're humble and straightforward, it's okay. Hope that helps! Good luck on your interview yay!
Thanks for this (and thanks EvelynS for asking) this gives me a little hope in case I gotta wait things out.
Anonymous User wrote:I got a fed magistrate clerkship with pretty uncompetitive stats (bottom 1/4 at MVP, no LR, no secondary journal, no moot court/mock trial, no judicial externships or anything similar, no prof recommendations). The key was to check OSCAR and the job listings at uscourts every day and look for clerkships that were starting immediately. Obviously mag. clerkships are easier to get, and judges who need someone to start in four weeks rather then sixteen months from now are a lot less choosy.
Nice. I been keeping my eye out for mag judge stuff. But my question is how likely is this if you're in the district/graduated from there to begin with?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:08 pm

Mass-(e)mailed firms in my home market. A few responses; including two that asked me to just send stuff over by email rather than use their official application portal. I've done that. One firm that asked for my files by email is very small (a "boutique," you might say, since it isn't shitlaw--they handle complex civil and crim lit.), maybe only 15 attorneys. The attention I'd been receiving (emails from their managing partner and hiring partner) made everything feel personal. I hadn't heard back in two weeks, so last night I emailed again offering more supporting dox. No response. At what point do I drop that boutique firm off my radar?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Mass-(e)mailed firms in my home market. A few responses; including two that asked me to just send stuff over by email rather than use their official application portal. I've done that. One firm that asked for my files by email is very small (a "boutique," you might say, since it isn't shitlaw--they handle complex civil and crim lit.), maybe only 15 attorneys. The attention I'd been receiving (emails from their managing partner and hiring partner) made everything feel personal. I hadn't heard back in two weeks, so last night I emailed again offering more supporting dox. No response. At what point do I drop that boutique firm off my radar?
when you get a rejection

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:34 am

Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mass-(e)mailed firms in my home market. A few responses; including two that asked me to just send stuff over by email rather than use their official application portal. I've done that. One firm that asked for my files by email is very small (a "boutique," you might say, since it isn't shitlaw--they handle complex civil and crim lit.), maybe only 15 attorneys. The attention I'd been receiving (emails from their managing partner and hiring partner) made everything feel personal. I hadn't heard back in two weeks, so last night I emailed again offering more supporting dox. No response. At what point do I drop that boutique firm off my radar?
when you get a rejection
Hah, fair. Should I do any more follow ups?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:47 am

You just emailed last night, let it chill for a couple weeks.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Kratos wrote:
when you get a rejection
last year I followed up with this firm once a month for like 5 months. In month 6 they finally reached back out and asked me to come in for an interview

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:46 am

Yeah, a few years ago a friend of mine interviewed with a firm in February and followed up with them literally every 3-4 weeks until the end of August/beginning of September. I thought this was too pushy but she only stopped because they offered her the job, so the joke was on me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:04 am

Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Kratos wrote:
when you get a rejection
last year I followed up with this firm once a month for like 5 months. In month 6 they finally reached back out and asked me to come in for an interview
What're you supposed to say during the months where there's nothing to really update (no new grades, etc.)?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Kratos wrote:
when you get a rejection
What're you supposed to say during the months where there's nothing to really update (no new grades, etc.)?
just reiterate interest, or do stuff that you can use to update. like I got a few short term research gigs that I updated with toward the end.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad - Had an interview about three weeks ago. Sent thank you right after interview. No response. Silence since. I want to send a follow up, but think it might be better not to?
Rejection letter. :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:57 pm

So how is everyone else doing with the search?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Have any of you applied to non-trad (i.e., non-firm or BIGGOV) options? If so, where?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:48 pm

theInnerCircle wrote:
Nice. I been keeping my eye out for mag judge stuff. But my question is how likely is this if you're in the district/graduated from there to begin with?
I'm not sure I understand, but if you're asking how likely it is to get a clerkship from the precise district you want, even a lesser clerkship, then the odds are very low. The closest federal job I got an interview for was 3 hours away from where I was living, and that was for a pro se clerkship, which is even less desirable that a mag clerkship. The bump you get for being an alum of a school that everyone is familiar/impressed by isn't worth the bump you get from being able to apply to 100x as many jobs if you are geographically flexible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Not sure if it's just me but anyone else getting NO responses from apps?

I just graduated at a T6. I'm on the job boards literally 24/7 and mass mailing everyday. I'm tailoring cover letters to any open positions. I have yet to hear back for an interview at any of these places. I'm also targeting some smaller firms that have active openings. My target market is SoCal (I grew up here) and I'm a little surprised at how poorly my search is going.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if it's just me but anyone else getting NO responses from apps?

I just graduated at a T6. I'm on the job boards literally 24/7 and mass mailing everyday. I'm tailoring cover letters to any open positions. I have yet to hear back for an interview at any of these places. I'm also targeting some smaller firms that have active openings. My target market is SoCal (I grew up here) and I'm a little surprised at how poorly my search is going.
Although SoCal legal market is bigger than NorCal one, it is not NY by any means. I do not know anything about smaller law firms, but big law will unlikely look at your app now unless they really need someone to start with their incoming class. From what I have heard, the hiring prospects look much better when you pass the Cali bar (I believe the results are released in November). I went to law school in Cali, and many of my friends got offers in November/December when the bar results were released. Don't give up. Keep applying. I hope you will find something before November.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Genius

Silver

Post by Genius » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:58 pm

Hey everyone, I am officially out of the vale.

It has been a tremendous journey over the last 2 months but it worked out in the end. I've been unemployed since early July and it took me good 2 months to find another job. There were times when I felt like nothing was working out. I kept questioning what went wrong where, and I just realized that's just how life works sometimes. Facing adversity like this is character building.

My first job is at a decent firm that pays little but job is a job. I will obviously continue to hunt for better. My stats are 1 year out, 1 year of lit exp at a small firm, T25-T30 grad, strong softs, median GPA. Current job is midsize in a major market. Im actually really excited to finally get something going and build my practice.

I had a pretty good high yield from massmailing (10/90) or so bites. I think every partner I spoke to said that my cover letter and resume was strong and the whole packet was organized very neatly. Of course my experience is limited but I am happy to provide any feedback or help. Please use me as your resource as well. Thanks everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:56 am

I'm officially out of the veil. While I've been doing piecemeal/contract work for the past months, I've finally obtained steady employment as a Litigation Associate in a CivLit firm. Pay is great, and makes these past TWELVE bloody months worth it.

For those still in the veil. Hammer away. It'll happen.

barman143

New

Post by barman143 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Genius wrote:Hey everyone, I am officially out of the vale.

It has been a tremendous journey over the last 2 months but it worked out in the end. I've been unemployed since early July and it took me good 2 months to find another job. There were times when I felt like nothing was working out. I kept questioning what went wrong where, and I just realized that's just how life works sometimes. Facing adversity like this is character building.

My first job is at a decent firm that pays little but job is a job. I will obviously continue to hunt for better. My stats are 1 year out, 1 year of lit exp at a small firm, T25-T30 grad, strong softs, median GPA. Current job is midsize in a major market. Im actually really excited to finally get something going and build my practice.

I had a pretty good high yield from massmailing (10/90) or so bites. I think every partner I spoke to said that my cover letter and resume was strong and the whole packet was organized very neatly. Of course my experience is limited but I am happy to provide any feedback or help. Please use me as your resource as well. Thanks everyone!
Congratulations!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:51 pm

Seems to be a theme ... officially out of the vale club too! Landed a biglaw position in the area I'm most interested in! For all those still searching, hang in there. It was a roller coaster summer, but put the work in and hope for the best. Stay positive!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems to be a theme ... officially out of the vale club too! Landed a biglaw position in the area I'm most interested in! For all those still searching, hang in there. It was a roller coaster summer, but put the work in and hope for the best. Stay positive!
Congrats! Can you share more info about your job search, major or secondary market and stuff like that. Don't have to be specific. Thanks!

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems to be a theme ... officially out of the vale club too! Landed a biglaw position in the area I'm most interested in! For all those still searching, hang in there. It was a roller coaster summer, but put the work in and hope for the best. Stay positive!
Congrats! Are you a 2016 or 2015 grad?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:28 am

I have been a paralegal for the past 10 years, passed the bar in 2015, now looking for a job, just wondering if there are any other paralegals and whether their experience helped them to get an attorney position

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:11 pm

I got offered $75K per year for 2000 billable

That's 28 bucks an hour per 5 business day week working 11 hours a day (8 billable + 3 other work).

I don't know if I am out of the vale now that I think about it. Am I justified in keep looking for other jobs and abandoning my old one when I get it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”