The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jess

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by jess » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:19 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Anyone have thoughts about posting your resume on public sites such as ABA? are there pros and cons to that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:59 pm

A few questions about the common wisdom on 3l mass mailing?

1: Where are lists of target firms? I'll hit all the Vault/NLJ firms, but I assume that that'll miss the firms more likely to actually hire in 3L.
2: Any point at all in mailing firms that rejected me 2L?
3: If I don't care at all about location, which office of a firm should I target? Can you hit multiple offices?
4: If you aren't set on a particular specialization, how do you handle that? I know they're looking to hire for vacancies in actual groups, so how do you target those?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:A few questions about the common wisdom on 3l mass mailing?

1: Where are lists of target firms? I'll hit all the Vault/NLJ firms, but I assume that that'll miss the firms more likely to actually hire in 3L.
If you pick a city on Martindale you can "narrow" it to some broad categories like civil lit or corporate and then filter by size to go 25 lawyers and bigger.

Also, 400 largest: https://www.law360.com/articles/518950/ ... -law-firms

If you're considering a Texas market: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/tx/TX-Top100-Charts-0816.pdf
Anonymous User wrote:
2: Any point at all in mailing firms that rejected me 2L?
Yes. It wasn't necessarily a no; it may have been a not right now.
Anonymous User wrote: 3: If I don't care at all about location, which office of a firm should I target? Can you hit multiple offices?
You can hit multiple offices, especially if there are different recruiters for the different offices. If there aren't then go for the big offices that, according to nalp, take lots of summers and first years. If you're picking between cities with the same recruiter, don't go for the tight market (e.g. Austin, Seattle, etc.).
Anonymous User wrote: 4: If you aren't set on a particular specialization, how do you handle that? I know they're looking to hire for vacancies in actual groups, so how do you target those?
I can't say my approach was the best, but I used to include two or three fairly broad and only vaguely related areas and list them in my cover letter. And I would change these based on the firms, especially for boutiques where I could narrow what I said to just what they did.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:50 pm

How's the search going for other recently graduated 3Ls?

We have the bar to study for too!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:39 am

Recent graduate here. Job search not going to well :( Does anyone have a pep talk that can get me through bar prep? I'm trying not to think about my employment status too much, but I keep seeing posts on Facebook from my 2L (now 3L) friends who are all working at their summer jobs and it just got me all sad and depressed. I also get a crazy wave of panic because if I don't find anything by August, I will get deported, which just adds even more stress to my bar preparation...

deepwater

New

Post by deepwater » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recent graduate here. Job search not going to well :( Does anyone have a pep talk that can get me through bar prep? I'm trying not to think about my employment status too much, but I keep seeing posts on Facebook from my 2L (now 3L) friends who are all working at their summer jobs and it just got me all sad and depressed. I also get a crazy wave of panic because if I don't find anything by August, I will get deported, which just adds even more stress to my bar preparation...
Dude, I totally get why you'd feel anxiety right now. It's a tough place to be in. Remember, and I'm sure you know this but it's good to be reminded, that dwelling on anxiety does nothing positive for you. Instead, try to turn it into motivation to study for the bar, network with lawyers, and fight your way in to a job between now and August.

Also, remember that you'll be unemployed for a small percentage of your life. There are lessons to be learned and character to be developed that you'll probably only experience while in the vale. I tried to think of it that way while job hunting. It helped a bit, but it didn't mean it was easy or that the anxiety went away completely. I thought of it as something to use to fight the anxiety knowing I couldn't completely kill it.

Hope that helps. I'm pulling for you.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recent graduate here. Job search not going to well :( Does anyone have a pep talk that can get me through bar prep? I'm trying not to think about my employment status too much, but I keep seeing posts on Facebook from my 2L (now 3L) friends who are all working at their summer jobs and it just got me all sad and depressed. I also get a crazy wave of panic because if I don't find anything by August, I will get deported, which just adds even more stress to my bar preparation...
I graduated without a job. I essentially used job hunting as my procrastination from bar studying. When I needed a break I would browse symplicity, apply to jobs, or blast my email to places I wanted to work. I got a job (through a symplicity application) around this time or a little later. It was a job at a small firm and it wasn't the best thing ever, but I put in 1.5 years here and now I'm leaving to go to a better/bigger firm in a practice area that I wanted.

Good luck and if you ever need help or to vent feel free to reach out. I definitely know how you are feeling <3

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:10 pm

2016 grad here. Passed CA bar on 2nd try. Job listings are scarce. Any advice aside? I have a 1 gap on my resume at this point and it's only getting wider by the day and I'm just super nervous that it might be a while until I can get a job. I'm giving myself until July which is when I'll volunteer in public interest to try to put something on the resume.

This is depressing every day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Guys - do you know of ANY big/midi-sized firms looking to hire for Fall 2017 right now, preferably in the Greater New York area?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2016 grad here. Passed CA bar on 2nd try. Job listings are scarce. Any advice aside? I have a 1 gap on my resume at this point and it's only getting wider by the day and I'm just super nervous that it might be a while until I can get a job. I'm giving myself until July which is when I'll volunteer in public interest to try to put something on the resume.

3 entry level trial attorneys and a federal district clerkship posted here.

http://www.nmbar.org/NmbarDocs/PubRes/B ... -06-14.pdf

kiwi4president

Bronze

Post by kiwi4president » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:09 pm

For those interested in Texas, local bar has a posting for an attorney with 0-3 years experience. Would be for Corpus Christi, Texas. Not the best place but very scenic as it's on the water. Here is the ad:

Local plaintiff’s civil litigation firm Anderson2X seeks an attorney with 0 – 3 years’ experience. Competitive pay and benefits package available; position open immediately. Interested applicants should send their cover letter and resume to lauren@a2xlaw.com.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2016 grad here. Passed CA bar on 2nd try. Job listings are scarce. Any advice aside? I have a 1 gap on my resume at this point and it's only getting wider by the day and I'm just super nervous that it might be a while until I can get a job. I'm giving myself until July which is when I'll volunteer in public interest to try to put something on the resume.

Are you interested in NorCal? My company is hiring for real estate/transactional type work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm

What is the best time to mass mail larger firms as a rising 3L?

If I were a 2L I’d be doing it now, but that seems too early for full time positions in a specific practice group that also knows it wants more incoming associates over a year from now. Would we be better off waiting until the end of the summer when the SA offers are made? Waiting until after October/November?

Anecdotal evidence of success is welcome.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the best time to mass mail larger firms as a rising 3L?

If I were a 2L I’d be doing it now, but that seems too early for full time positions in a specific practice group that also knows it wants more incoming associates over a year from now. Would we be better off waiting until the end of the summer when the SA offers are made? Waiting until after October/November?

I was in your position and started networking and setting up informational interviews throughout July, mass mailed and did OCI in August through October, networked some more and eventually landed my job in early January. Like you, I was looking for a specific practice group and my resume basically screamed that specialty.

The most important thing for me, though, was networking. I eventually got my job by doing informational interviews with attorneys in the area I'd met. They weren't hiring but took a shine to me and reached out to everyone they knew wherever I had applications outstanding, eventually turning one of those into a callback and ultimately an offer.

Hope that helps, I know it can be a stressful situation to be a rising 3L and not knowing where you're going to end up while all your friends have things sorted away. Feel free to PM with any questions

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 pm

The Social Security Administration is looking to hire a fraud attorney to be placed in Texas, Philadelphia, California, Oregon, Mississippi, New Jersey, Florida, Maryland, Maine, Missouri, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Wyoming. It requires active bar membership but I thought this was a decent place to post in case post-grad people are looking (I don't know if it's going on usajobs). It's a long job posting so if you'd like me to send it to you send me a PM. (Position closes on June 26.)

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:32 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the best time to mass mail larger firms as a rising 3L?

I was in your position and started networking and setting up informational interviews throughout July, mass mailed and did OCI in August through October, networked some more and eventually landed my job in early January. Like you, I was looking for a specific practice group and my resume basically screamed that specialty.

The most important thing for me, though, was networking. I eventually got my job by doing informational interviews with attorneys in the area I'd met. They weren't hiring but took a shine to me and reached out to everyone they knew wherever I had applications outstanding, eventually turning one of those into a callback and ultimately an offer.

Hope that helps, I know it can be a stressful situation to be a rising 3L and not knowing where you're going to end up while all your friends have things sorted away. Feel free to PM with any questions
Mind sharing your stats, and whether you landed in biglaw? Just looking for inspiration. Thx.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:35 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:

Mind sharing your stats, and whether you landed in biglaw? Just looking for inspiration. Thx.
Started below median, graduated top third at a T20. Depends on your definition of biglaw, but I landed at a market-paying firm with 200-250 attorneys that's one of the country's best in my practice area.

Don't let yourself get down, stay focused and you can pull it off too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Officially out of the vale! Small firm in NYC with decent pay. Good luck, everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys - do you know of ANY big/midi-sized firms looking to hire for Fall 2017 right now, preferably in the Greater New York area?

greater New York? I would think the chances are slim.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Officially out of the vale! Small firm in NYC with decent pay. Good luck, everyone!
Congrats! Are you class of 2017? How did you come by the firm?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Guys - do you know of ANY big/midi-sized firms looking to hire for Fall 2017 right now, preferably in the Greater New York area?

greater New York? I would think the chances are slim.
Obvioously including NYC. I was thinking if any offices are hiring now, it would be the NYC office, no?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Out of the vale!

Top 50% at UT. No journal/moot court. No offered from biglaw last summer (non-NYC firm, doesn't pay market). Got an offer today for a Dallas midlaw firm paying 70-80k/year. Glad it is over, and keep trying guys! This job was posted for people with 3-5 years experience, and many laterals from biglaw. They said they've never hired a first year associate before. So apply for everything even if you think you're unqualified!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the vale!

Top 50% at UT. No journal/moot court. No offered from biglaw last summer (non-NYC firm, doesn't pay market). Got an offer today for a Dallas midlaw firm paying 70-80k/year. Glad it is over, and keep trying guys! This job was posted for people with 3-5 years experience, and many laterals from biglaw. They said they've never hired a first year associate before. So apply for everything even if you think you're unqualified!
Congrats!!
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm

If you have a science background, maybe.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”