The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Super amazing update: still no job. Yay me.
You end up skipping the bar?
Yeah.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:49 pm

^ Why did you skip the bar? If anything, passing it would make you more marketable :(

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ Why did you skip the bar? If anything, passing it would make you more marketable :(
Anonymous? I did it because my job search, personal issues, and complete lack of money prevented me from studying. No worries, I am working as a cook at a diner now so you know I am gonna be super rich.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:01 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ Why did you skip the bar? If anything, passing it would make you more marketable :(
Anonymous? I did it because my job search, personal issues, and complete lack of money prevented me from studying. No worries, I am working as a cook at a diner now so you know I am gonna be super rich.
This may not be helpful, but I think you will figure this out. This is just a very rough time. You seem resilient and you have friends who care about you. I honestly think you will figure out a plan.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:02 pm

NYstate wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
This may not be helpful, but I think you will figure this out. This is just a very rough time. You seem resilient and you have friends who care about you. I honestly think you will figure out a plan.
Oh, I do too. I am dangling in self pity at the moment because of the number of rejections I have been getting. It will get better, it just sucks right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My family, and how devastated they would be from my suicide, is pretty much the only thing keeping me alive at this point. I'm living for them, not for myself. :|

I keep on thinking what could I have done differently in the past so that I wouldn't have gotten into this mess? (besides, you know, not going to law school in the first place!) These nagging "what if's" just can't leave me the fuck alone.
Family is a great reason to live. If I could go back in time and save my family member I would do anything I could. I would give anything for that chance. We haven't been the same and we will never get over it. And she is missing out on so many great things that would have brought her happiness.

Everyone wonders "what if." You need to work on having a disciplined mind and let those thoughts go. They aren't real. It is just another way to torture yourself. It isn't easy but you have to be strict with yourself. But you can do it.

Do you have a therapist or a counselor helping you? Keep going at it and don't give up. You don't even have to really believe it will get better, just believe that people around you think it will. Just don't give up.

Cyne

New

Post by Cyne » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:12 am

bjseq, I know the feeling (though I haven't hit the end of 3L yet, so I guess my situation is different). I sold my gun after catching myself thinking about chambering a round one too many times back in April. Family is the only thing that keeps me putting one foot in front of another.

There is nothing bad about only living for family. People do it all the time, and like NYstate said, it is a worthy reason to live. I am not sure what hobbies you have, but I have made it a point to GTFO of the house once a week to go hiking and climb small mountains. Little things like watching the sunset from a peak has helped me a lot.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

bjsesq wrote:
If I can help in any way, let me know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:03 pm

I wanted to write an anon post to all the suicide threaders in this topic about my experience with the job search. Here it goes, I hope it makes everyone feel better.

My story: Went to a top school had good grades somehow struck out at OCI and ended up in your position. I would have daily conversations with some close friends and loved ones about how hopeless my life would be and how my life was somehow over without a job. It became difficult to even be around others at school who all had their fancy biglaw jobs while I had literally nothing. I hustled literally everyday, probably applied to over 1,000 positions. Finally during the end of 2L year, a biglaw firm was looking for an associate in my dream practice area. I didn't even believe it was possible when they expressed interest, and when after a few interviews I landed the job I literally was deliriously happy to the point where I couldnt stop smiling and celebrating everyday, so happy I made it and would be handsomely rewarded for my hard work.

Flash-forward 20 months: I have just billed fifty hours in the past three days on rush jobs which the client demands get done. My body literally trembles as my eyelids burn in pain from only getting 4 hours of sleep the last few days, but hey, its weekend time baby. Partner emails firm, there is a new emergency rush job and associates are going to need to volunteer to work the weekend. I call that nice girl I had a couple dates with and explain that I'm going to have to delay the brunch date we planned (yet another re-schedule). I ask to re-schedule, she says don't bother, I cannot blame her.

As the weekend winds down and Sunday approaches, I google search for men's regenerative hair therapy, at 27 years old my hair is already thinning and balding from the stress at work. I then get comments back to my latest project, nothing substantive, but I forgot in a couple places to bold some terms and am told I need to stop being so careless and deliver high quality work product. As Monday morning rolls around I am again chewed out by a partner over my carelessness, as instead of explaining what is wrong with my work he sarcastically gets in my face and yells at me in a condescending manner for not understanding what is going on.

I think back to the guy 20 months ago, sure he had no jobs, but he had an amazing girlfriend, an awesome group of friends to roll with all the time. I talk to other friends in biglaw about how worried we were about getting these jobs, and we literally cannot do anything but laugh about how foolish we were to revere these jobs according to the school culture. Most of us will be leaving in a few months, not concerned about being in your unemployed position, as we learned the hard way about the things that really matter in life, none of which involve money.

This is my story, and I hope it helps some of you in this topic. You are all smart capable people who will thrive in jobs even if significantly less prestigious than biglaw, and probably enjoy them much more. Wish everyone here all the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Guess what: I would kill for the opportunity to hate my life in a job that at least allows me to provide for my kids.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:18 pm

That's exactly what I would have said months ago when I was in your position. Most people in my firm barely know their kids, they have been raised exclusively like maids and spouses, and their children for the most part hate them for it, only seeing them as a real life ATM machine. I am not going to try convince you that you are fortunate because I remember when I felt exactly like you. People sometimes just need to learn the hard way I suppose.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's exactly what I would have said months ago when I was in your position. Most people in my firm barely know their kids, they have been raised exclusively like maids and spouses, and their children for the most part hate them for it, only seeing them as a real life ATM machine. I am not going to try convince you that you are fortunate because I remember when I felt exactly like you. People sometimes just need to learn the hard way I suppose.
I don't think he's even talking Biglaw though, nor are a lot of people in this thread. They want any fucking job that pays decent.

Look, I'm sorry your job sucks, but in 4 months you are going to be employable as in-house or in a boutique. Some of the people in this thread, however, will still be asking "soy milk or regular?"

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:43 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That's exactly what I would have said months ago when I was in your position. Most people in my firm barely know their kids, they have been raised exclusively like maids and spouses, and their children for the most part hate them for it, only seeing them as a real life ATM machine. I am not going to try convince you that you are fortunate because I remember when I felt exactly like you. People sometimes just need to learn the hard way I suppose.
I don't think he's even talking Biglaw though, nor are a lot of people in this thread. They want any fucking job that pays decent.

Look, I'm sorry your job sucks, but in 4 months you are going to be employable as in-house or in a boutique. Some of the people in this thread, however, will still be asking "soy milk or regular?"
I will echo this. Fuck biglaw, I don't give a shit. I want A JOB. That's all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:07 pm

bjsesq wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Paying off law school sized debt with just a regular Jerb is very difficult, if not impossible. Put it this way, if *I* was 200k in debt and didn't get biglaw, I'd simply say fuck it and flee the country rather than be Sallie May's bitch for the next 20-30 years. You would have a number of options:

1. Join the FFL. Benefits: You get physically fit, learn french, and come out after 4 years of service with a brand new identity. Debt collectors couldn't come after you since the old you would, for all practical purposes, be dead (Mais oui!). Only open to men.

2. Flee to a country which has no debt collection treaty with the U.S. or where it would be practically impossible for a collection agency to collect, and start your life over. If you're a heeb, you could flee to Israel. Otherwise, you could go to a southeast Asian country like Thailand which is very hospitable to foreigners and a very low COL.

3. If you're a hot chick, marry a wealthy beta and crank out some kids.

This is not amusing. Enjoy your time away from TLS.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:10 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Paying off law school sized debt with just a regular Jerb is very difficult, if not impossible. Put it this way, if *I* was 200k in debt and didn't get biglaw, I'd simply say fuck it and flee the country rather than be Sallie May's bitch for the next 20-30 years. You would have a number of options:

1. Join the FFL. Benefits: You get physically fit, learn french, and come out after 4 years of service with a brand new identity. Debt collectors couldn't come after you since the old you would, for all practical purposes, be dead (Mais oui!). Only open to men.

2. Flee to a country which has no debt collection treaty with the U.S. or where it would be practically impossible for a collection agency to collect, and start your life over. If you're a heeb, you could flee to Israel. Otherwise, you could go to a southeast Asian country like Thailand which is very hospitable to foreigners and a very low COL.

3. If you're a hot chick, marry a wealthy beta and crank out some kids.
You know nothing about my debt load, so thanks for your inapposite "plan." Intended to make yourself feel good rather than help anyone, but hey, YOLO and shit.

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:16 pm

bjsesq wrote: You know nothing about my debt load, so thanks for your inapposite "plan." Intended to make yourself feel good rather than help anyone, but hey, YOLO and shit.
I said "law school sized debt", which I assume is what the majority of posters in this thread have. And yes, my advice IS intended to help people.

If I was 150k in debt I would ABSOLUTELY do one of the above, no question. If I had to choose, I'd probably join the french foreign legion, because I'm physically fit and would enjoy the camaraderie. Why are the above so unpalatable? And if they're so unpalatable, what is the alternative?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:18 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote: You know nothing about my debt load, so thanks for your inapposite "plan." Intended to make yourself feel good rather than help anyone, but hey, YOLO and shit.
I said "law school sized debt", which I assume is what the majority of posters in this thread have. And yes, my advice IS intended to help people.

If I was 150k in debt I would ABSOLUTELY do one of the above, no question. If I had to choose, I'd probably join the french foreign legion, because I'm physically fit and would enjoy the camaraderie. Why are the above so unpalatable? And if they're so unpalatable, what is the alternative?
PAYE. IBR. Possibly PSLF. Staying in the country where you have family, friends, and a support network. Not posting flip unrealistic advice in a support thread.
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:19 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:

A government job would get me into the school's loan repayment job that would be used in conjunction with PAYE, a program that I qualify for. If not that, I would have to rely on Paye. The tax bomb at the end would suck ass, but at least it would allow me to live and provide for those I care about. But yeah, sure, FFL is a great plan.

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:21 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:

PAYE. IBR. Staying in the country where you have family, friends, and a support network. Not posting flip unrealistic advice in a support thread.
I could list a number of reasons why I would be extremely reluctant to do that, but in the end I will only say that I would MUCH prefer one of the alternatives I listed.

I'm telling you it's NOT flip. This is what I would ABSOLUTELY do if I was 150k in debt with no job.
Last edited by J. R. Capablanca on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:23 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:

PAYE. IBR. Staying in the country where you have family, friends, and a support network.
I could list a number of reasons why I would be extremely reluctant to do that, but in the end I will only say that I would MUCH prefer one of the alternatives I listed.
And you felt the need to inform the thread of this when you apparently already have a job, why? Because you're a fucking douche?

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Dude people ITT are looking for support and help, not a way out of their responsibilities

If you can provide neither, feel free to see yourself out

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:25 pm

bjsesq wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
J. R. Capablanca wrote:I said "law school sized debt", which I assume is what the majority of posters in this thread have. And yes, my advice IS intended to help people.

PAYE. IBR. Staying in the country where you have family, friends, and a support network.
And you felt the need to inform the thread of this when you apparently already have a job, why? Because you're a fucking douche?
Probably just means he doesn't have any family, friends, or support network.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Personally I find your suggestions that people abandon their life just because they have debt extremely distasteful. There are ways under PAYE that don't require you to leave the country or whatever stupid desperate plan you are suggesting.

Telling people their situation is so bad that they have to flee the country is just wrong. I'm not sure why you are so cynical or why you think your advice about what you would hypothetically do in a situation is useful or instructive.
Last edited by NYstate on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J. R. Capablanca

New

Post by J. R. Capablanca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:26 pm

bjsesq wrote:
I'm letting you know there are alternatives which might seem unfeasible at first but are entirely workable.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:28 pm

J. R. Capablanca wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Where did I do that?
Inform us of your plan? Are you fucking so incapable of writing cogently that you meant to ask me "where did i say I have a job" when this drivel above is what you actually wrote?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”