The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nevdash

Bronze

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by nevdash » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What helped me this year in finally landing a job (Non-Law) was realizing that law school adds absolutely no value to what you can do for other people (i.e. working for them). The only thing it does add value to is your ability to sell yourself, and that is only if you are able to say you went to a T-10 or T-14 or w.e. Most of you I assume are in your mid to early 20's, you are still really young and may have skills that you didn't even discover because you never worked on them. Try taking MBA finance courses, strategy courses, marketing courses, see if something clicks with you there. Reach out to alumni that work in other areas, not just law. I was really lucky in getting my job and I had to work for months before getting an offer, but it was a blessing in disguise because biglaw sucks and what I am doing, I am much better at and enjoy much more than anything i've done that was law related.

I think from here on out, everything 3L's do should be about adding value. Make yourself into something and then go for it. Law is a dying profession and honestly, I find that law firms on the whole are filled with shitty people that don't really value hard work or improvement. As someone that raised their GPA to median from bottom 10% at a T-14, while working in and commuting to a different city for a "very prestigious" federal agency, and getting high level recommenders to literally call the hiring partners of firms to say that I am a sure thing, only to get exactly 0 firm offers, I think the law can suck it. Time to use that chip on your shoulder.
yawn..

this sort of doomsday, "woe is me" mentality is why law didn't work out for you.

There is more than enough legal need out there. The key is to figure out what need you can fill. If you can't figure that out, well then too bad for you. But I have no sympathy.
What are you talking about? woe is me? Doomsday? I worked my freaking ass off these past two years to get where I am at, there is no attitude, and that is certainly not why law "didn't work out for me." More than enough legal needs? No shit dumbass, but most people that I know didn't go to T-14 law schools to help poor people get medicaid (as nobel as it is) or help tenants with landlord issues in inner cities. Don't have sympathy for me, I have a 6-figure job in finance when I graduate so no sympathy is needed for the fact I won't be some paperpushing banker bitch. I was trying to tell people that you can create other options for yourself by not trying to do what every unemployed law student in the country is doing and by adding skills that you can't learn in law school. But hey, wtf do I know, im just someone that spent 2 years trying to get employed in a high paying job and succeeded without anyone's help.
Normally I'd think getting this mad is unjustified. But this thread is about supporting one another through a tough time, and your success, no matter how you got it or what you think it means for the rest of us, is something we should celebrate. So good job, bro, and go suck a dick, gwuorbust.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:06 pm

nevdash wrote:good job, bro, and go suck a dick, gwuorbust.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:42 pm

read throw gwuorbust's past posts. Kid is a freaking joke. Everything wrong with law school sumed up in that kid.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:22 pm

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
nevdash wrote:good job, bro, and go suck a dick, gwuorbust.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What are you talking about? woe is me? Doomsday? I worked my freaking ass off these past two years to get where I am at, there is no attitude, and that is certainly not why law "didn't work out for me." More than enough legal needs? No shit dumbass, but most people that I know didn't go to T-14 law schools to help poor people get medicaid (as nobel as it is) or help tenants with landlord issues in inner cities. Don't have sympathy for me, I have a 6-figure job in finance when I graduate so no sympathy is needed for the fact I won't be some paperpushing banker bitch. I was trying to tell people that you can create other options for yourself by not trying to do what every unemployed law student in the country is doing and by adding skills that you can't learn in law school. But hey, wtf do I know, im just someone that spent 2 years trying to get employed in a high paying job and succeeded without anyone's help.
I am all for everyone learning real skills. That you were able to find a better career outside of law is great and I applaud your efforts. What I am critiquing was you "law is a dying profession" and "law can suck it" comments. My very quick impression of your post was that there are no opportunities in law. I'm sorry if I offended you if that wasn't your intention.

In theory, most of the people who go to law school want to work as a lawyer. And there is no doubt that things aren't the way they were before the crash. But there are ways to make money in law besides BigLaw and government jobs. In fact, there are many opportunities.

I think we should figure out how to find more opportunities within the law for people that actually want to become lawyers. Obviously the ABA should cut off the steam of people let into law schools; but that does nothing for people that have already invested in getting a law degree. My point was/is that there are many original ways for graduating law students to work in law while also making a decent living.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 pm

ANYWAY, back to the poor unfortunate souls who inhabit this thread and are one rejection away from jumping in front of a subway train.

so I (gov't anon from a number of posts itt) just made it to the penultimate hiring stage and am waiting to hear good or bad news soon. this is convenient because I need to sign up for a bar and/or collision with the L train soon.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ANYWAY, back to the poor unfortunate souls who inhabit this thread and are one rejection away from jumping in front of a subway train.
This kind of shit isn't funny, helpful, or appropriate.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:52 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:ANYWAY, back to the poor unfortunate souls who inhabit this thread and are one rejection away from jumping in front of a subway train.
This thread has consistently had a tongue in cheek tone.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
My fault, I've only been here for 2 pages, and one was everyone railing on gwu. Shit seemed serious :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:29 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
My fault, I've only been here for 2 pages, and one was everyone railing on gwu. Shit seemed serious :shock:
The only thing we are serious about it poasting goatse in response to 2Ls asking Qs like "I'm a 2L what's the market like for trading up hyuk hyuk."

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:33 pm

rad lulz wrote: The only thing we are serious about it poasting goatse in response to 2Ls asking Qs like "I'm a 2L what's the market like for trading up hyuk hyuk."

Apparently goatse-ing in response to retarded questions makes you a persona non grata here. If that's wrong, then I don't want to be right.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:The only thing we are serious about it poasting goatse in response to 2Ls asking Qs like "I'm a 2L what's the market like for trading up hyuk hyuk."
I've heard that LEMONparty.org (the website for Legal Employment Metrics Organization of Northwestern) has compiled some great data about how SAs who received offers have fared at 3L OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 am

nevdash wrote:
rad lulz wrote:The only thing we are serious about it poasting goatse in response to 2Ls asking Qs like "I'm a 2L what's the market like for trading up hyuk hyuk."
I've heard that LEMONparty.org (the website for Legal Employment Metrics Organization of Northwestern) has compiled some great data about how SAs who received offers have fared at 3L OCI.
Solid resource for anyone mulling the leap from V50 to V10

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 am

nevdash wrote:
Bro, please don't encourage people to ask questions by actually posting useful information...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:25 pm

"We are not currently considering 3Ls . . ."

. . . says every employer I've reached out to since August.

Guys, I am stumped.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"We are not currently considering 3Ls . . ."

Guys, I am stumped.
I get it if those are big firms you are applying to, that is to be expected. But small and mids too?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Guys, I am stumped.
Ask if you can work as a law clerk for a busy associate or partner during the semester. Make room in your schedule to do this if you haven't already.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Guys, I am stumped.
Don't be stumped broseph. They're giving you the answer: They're not hiring 3Ls right now.

Unless a Symplicity posting specifically mentions that they're looking at 3Ls, it's pretty safe to assume that there's not going to be a lot of movement until Spring. Firms know that you've got school until March, and then the Bar. They don't want to commit a year ahead of time to someone who didn't summer with them. Wait until it's closer to game day, bro.

This is ESPECIALLY true of small and mid sized firms.

If you want to plow ahead right now, you should be networking and just kinda reaching out (and reaching around), but not actually applying. No harm in getting your name out there and letting people know you're smart so in a few months when it is hiring time, they might remember you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:53 am

I got a biglaw job 3l year a couple years ago and my message to everyone on this thread is be careful what you wish for and count your blessings. I kept hustling and eventually got a biglaw job around December but in a new market (was willing to do anything like you guys for a big firm job). I guess you'd call this the miracle scenario.

This job has destroyed my life. I work around 14 hours a day and usually just fall straight asleep when i get home. I am expected to able to come into the office at any time on any weekend and have had to bail on all kind of social events. The long hours are fine but involve constant demeaning and criticizing my work/ not going fast enough. Most partners at my firm never see their family and are basically absentee atm machines. I have lost all my friends because the few I had grew tired of me bailing on them and constantly checking my blackberry and calling the office. I lost a significant other who I was seriously considering marrying because I had to move to a new market. Please remember not to glorify biglaw or midlaw, they pay a lot because it literally deprives you of any life outside work. Good luck on the job search and please realize there are more important things than landing biglaw.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a biglaw job 3l year a couple years ago and my message to everyone on this thread is be careful what you wish for and count your blessings. I kept hustling and eventually got a biglaw job around December but in a new market (was willing to do anything like you guys for a big firm job). I guess you'd call this the miracle scenario.

This job has destroyed my life. I work around 14 hours a day and usually just fall straight asleep when i get home. I am expected to able to come into the office at any time on any weekend and have had to bail on all kind of social events. The long hours are fine but involve constant demeaning and criticizing my work/ not going fast enough. Most partners at my firm never see their family and are basically absentee atm machines. I have lost all my friends because the few I had grew tired of me bailing on them and constantly checking my blackberry and calling the office. I lost a significant other who I was seriously considering marrying because I had to move to a new market. Please remember not to glorify biglaw or midlaw, they pay a lot because it literally deprives you of any life outside work. Good luck on the job search and please realize there are more important things than landing biglaw.
Thanks for the input man. I've already given up on the biglawl dream now doe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:38 pm

rad lulz wrote: Thanks for the input man. I've already given up on the biglawl dream now doe.
Yeah I think most people in this thread are trying for "law" not "biglaw"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Just thought I'd pop in and say to you 3L's who may end up being grads without work: AVOID CONTRACT WORK (I.E. Doc Review/eDiscovery) POSITIONS AT ALL COSTS!

Once you go down that track, you're basically a leper in the legal world. I know there have been a few posters who have said that over the years...their methods haven't always been the best, so they often get ridiculed and disregarded. I think you can see from my post history that I'm not one of those guys. Avoid this work unless it is your absolute last resort and, even then, make peace with the fact that this is where your career will level off unless you decide to hang a shingle (which will exclude you from doing contract work because no firm is going to allow you to be a contractor for them and do work on the side).

Seriously guys, contract/eDiscovery work is just a hamster wheel. You are better off just sitting around your local court house and trolling for customers or putting and add in the paper for traffic work (which is absolutely the easiest thing in the world to do; Step 1: Collect your fee. Step 2: Print out driving record. Step 3: Show judge record and ask for traffic school and reduction or dismissal of charge. Step 4: Tell client result. Step 5: Rinse and repeat...I've seen this so many times, attorneys make anywhere from 100-500 dollars for not doing anything at all).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Had an interview with the PD office today. I thought it went pretty well considering that I haven't worked in a street crimes criminal defense capacity since college and worked in biglaw 2L summer. Good thing I took all those crim classes just because I thought they were interesting.

3L interviewing is like wearing many hats. During 2L when you interviewed at firms you could be wishy washy and say "Oh yeah I am interested in lit, but I want to try some corporate just to see if I like it." 3L jobs the positions are really specific. I basically just try to twist fragments of experience on my resume into whatever I think they want to see. It's like I'm working spin for a political campaign.

"Senator Jones wasn't putting his penis in an alleged 'glory hole' on that occasion, he merely though that the hole in the wall was a urinal, like in porta-pottys at concerts."

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Hey Bros, got a question.

I want to apply to a couple of newly-elected Judges for DAT STATE CLERKSHIP, but I really don't have any clue about who I should ask for letter of recommendation as far as faculty goes, given that I have really not cultivated relationships with profs at all (will have at least one or two practitioner letters). Here are the options that immediately come to mind:

1. 1L Professor who called on me a lot in class, likes me personally, but I only had her for one class and got a B+.
2. Legal writing professor who probably doesn't remember, but I booked the class.
3. Federal Judge whose class I'm taking right now, will probably get an A, and who seems to like me, but it will be at least Jan/Feb before I know my grade. Also not sure if one, non-doctrinal class, is a good basis for letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:04 pm

edit: that was a weird technological error and resulting double post
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”