The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I have been no offered and rejected via phone. The no offer I kind of expected but the rejection was something I really thought I had in the bag and was a sweet opportunity so that was a direct kick in the dick. I still think I prefer phone calls to letters. Less cowardly.
Yeah, I got the no-offer via phone as well. I felt it was much more respectable than a letter.
I would have preferred email, then call if you wish to discuss. I was flustered as fuck when I got the call (2/3 summers got no-offered and I was the first one called). I was definitely not prepared for the news and was taken aback. I wanted to weep and rage at the same time, and I bet the hiring partner could tell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I have been no offered and rejected via phone. The no offer I kind of expected but the rejection was something I really thought I had in the bag and was a sweet opportunity so that was a direct kick in the dick. I still think I prefer phone calls to letters. Less cowardly.
Yeah, I got the no-offer via phone as well. I felt it was much more respectable than a letter.
I would have preferred email, then call if you wish to discuss. I was flustered as fuck when I got the call (2/3 summers got no-offered and I was the first one called). I was definitely not prepared for the news and was taken aback. I wanted to weep and rage at the same time, and I bet the hiring partner could tell.
I kinda knew mine was coming. The whole situation didn't get resolved till like Thanksgiving, and by then I had a damn good feeling it wasn't in the cards. At that point, the call was just a formality, but it was an appreciated gesture.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I kinda knew mine was coming. The whole situation didn't get resolved till like Thanksgiving, and by then I had a damn good feeling it wasn't in the cards. At that point, the call was just a formality, but it was an appreciated gesture.
I'm still not sure how much I appreciated any part of the whole situation

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 am

bjsesq wrote:Just got the rejection call. Trying to find a discrete place to hang myself from.
That sucks mang. Way back in 2L OCI, I had one firm, my top choice, left to hear back from after dings everywhere else, and I stepped out of the shower to see a two and a half minute voice mail from the recruiter. I preemptively fist pumped, then knew almost instantly from the tone of her voice it was a rejection. I don't think there's a worse feels in this whole process than what you just got, just giving you my support. Two years later, including 7 months of "volunteer externing" in that time, and I'm still in the vale. At least the silver lining is that my tax return had a net income of $50 this past year, so IBR will make my payments about 2 bucks a month. I also just found out I missed honors by less than .02, can't catch a break.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:25 am

Dealing with a break up during bar studying. It sucks. Really badly.

Law clerked at a V100 firm during the year, and they no offered me before studying for the bar ("no space"). This was after billing 40 each week over the year.

Life sucks at this point. Finding motivation to study for the bar is very very hard.

Waiting for a job to post from a reference, but other than I have nothing.

Vale of Tears=My life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dealing with a break up during bar studying. It sucks. Really badly.

Law clerked at a V100 firm during the year, and they no offered me before studying for the bar ("no space"). This was after billing 40 each week over the year.

Life sucks at this point. Finding motivation to study for the bar is very very hard.

Vale of Tears=My life.
Sorry about the breakup man. You're going to be fine with a V100 on your resume. People know the economy sucks.

I was in a similar position except not even a V100 except it was going into 3L summer. The firm decided to hire new law clerks and terminated everyone in MARCH, without letting us know we should look elsewhere, after indicating they had wanted us to stay FT for the summer back in like Jan.

Somehow I lined up 7-8 interviews during the 3 weeks I was studying and taking finals and landed a FT gig for the summer.

You're in much better shape, so I'm sure you'll find something.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Just a thought for those in the Vale: As one of those out of touch shitboomers, I believe there is an area of need that some of you may want to consider and be able to fill. As our older courthouses are being updated, our courts require all our exhibits to be displayed via the computer. Fewer shitboomers are retiring and we have no clue how to present this evidence without hiring a tech person. This person attends the trial/hearing with the attorneys. Large firms have these professionals on staff while small firms do not. If you have the computer/communication background you may want to market yourself in this manner to smaller firms. Or if the practice of law is not what you thought it would be, you could provide the support. Having a law degree would set you and your company apart. I just came across this firm: http://www.digitaljustice.net

Again, just a thought for those thinking outside the box.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:00 pm

I had a rejection by phone once, and it was the most disappointing experience of law school. I think it was even worse than getting no-offered last summer.

Sorry for your troubles, boo.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dealing with a break up during bar studying. It sucks. Really badly.

Vale of Tears=My life.
Damn they did you dirty bro

Billing 40 hours a week while in school, even during 3L year, is insane

Seriously though firm experience on the resume is a plus

But I understand how you feel. It's fine to mourn.

Hope something works out for your soon

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Looking at another school's Symplicity, and they have a fellowship position I would love to do. Shame the fellowship is for their students only.
B.U.'s been posting a lot of those...

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:01 pm

GF and I just had a fight over finances. I feel like shit.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Bikeflip wrote:GF and I just had a fight over finances. I feel like shit.
Why do YOU feel like shit dude

Have you been just spending her $ or something

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dfsad

New

Post by dfsad » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Long time vale lurker, first time poster. I've got a second interview for a JD preferred position with a corporation. It's mostly reviewing and negotiating contracts. I won't be a real attorney, but it pays well, has great benefits, and is a strict 40 hour work week. I guess my question is if I get offerred the job and take it, am I limiting my exit options by not taking a job that requires a JD?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Dude if you don't want that job I would take it in a second

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:37 pm

dfsad wrote:Long time vale lurker, first time poster. I've got a second interview for a JD preferred position with a corporation. It's mostly reviewing and negotiating contracts. I won't be a real attorney, but it pays well, has great benefits, and is a strict 40 hour work week. I guess my question is if I get offerred the job and take it, am I limiting my exit options by not taking a job that requires a JD?
Probably, but you should take the job if you get the offer

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:

W/o too may details, here's the gist: She got laid off and wants me to pitch in more. I don't have a ton of money, being jerbless and all. While I'm not freeriding, she was paying more.

I feel like shit b/c I know she's helped me out, and I can't return the favor. I also feel like shit b/c I was being an unsympathetic and stressed out asshole.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Regarding the jd preferred job, it will probably limit your exit options if you intend to work at a firm in the future, but it could also very much expand your opportunities within the corporation itself. Are you absolutely committed to practicing law? If not, I would take it in a heartbeat and get started on your career.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

W/o too may details, here's the gist: She got laid off and wants me to pitch in more. I don't have a ton of money, being jerbless and all. While I'm not freeriding, she was paying more.

I feel like shit b/c I know she's helped me out, and I can't return the favor. I also feel like shit b/c I was being an unsympathetic and stressed out asshole.
Bar exam wears us all down bro

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Thats rough man I know what that feels like. I saved up a ton from my SA before I was no offered but that savings is only gonna last so long and my fiancee and I are BOTH in the Vale. I call her naive but if she was as pessimistic as I was about this whole job post bar process this place would be a lot harder to live in.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:01 pm

dfsad wrote:Long time vale lurker, first time poster. I've got a second interview for a JD preferred position with a corporation. It's mostly reviewing and negotiating contracts. I won't be a real attorney, but it pays well, has great benefits, and is a strict 40 hour work week. I guess my question is if I get offerred the job and take it, am I limiting my exit options by not taking a job that requires a JD?
Are you serious?! You should reject the job and leave my resume with HR on your way out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:08 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Are you serious?! You should reject the job and leave my resume with HR on your way out.
There's nothing wrong with being concerned about getting a job that could potentially eliminate the possibility of OP ever working as a lawyer. Granted, he obviously should take the job in order to eat, but continue looking for an attorney position if that is what he wants to do.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Depends on what you see as viable "exit options." If you are talking about an in-house position, you might become the ideal candidate for that because most companies are not looking for a gun-slinging litigation-ready attorney. They want someone who can negotiate things and keep the peace. No rocking the boat.

OTOH, if you want to do litigation, then yeah, this position might be limiting. But no matter how much other positions appeal to your interests, a bird-in-the-hand is worth more than two in the bush.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Sort of offered an associate position in a three/four person plaintiff's med mal firm (basically told that if I'm interested it's mine but no salary info yet). Not my preferred market but definitely somewhere I would work. I had wanted to do litigation so I guess this is kinda the same thing. In the Vale, but will this limit my options coming out? Between this and the bar I am just so stressed out. To make matters even muddier - my father is a physician ( :!: ).

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sort of offered an associate position in a three/four person plaintiff's med mal firm (basically told that if I'm interested it's mine but no salary info yet). Not my preferred market but definitely somewhere I would work. I had wanted to do litigation so I guess this is kinda the same thing. In the Vale, but will this limit my options coming out? Between this and the bar I am just so stressed out. To make matters even muddier - my father is a physician ( :!: ).
This might limit your options to med mal stuff, but if you like it okay, it can be really lucrative man

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”